Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Wellington are you wearing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

For anyone considering muck boots, the only safe one to get is the Chore. The following warning is copied from wellies .ie website...

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please note, as these boots are primarily field sport boots, they are more suited for use "off road". Ideal on soil, muck, grass, gravel, sand, rocks etc. However if there are used on tarmac or concrete, which is damp or wet, has spilt milk or slurry on it, they have a high tendency to be slippery. If you require boot in these circumstances, we suggest the Muckboot Chore or the Chore 2K

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bought a pair of bekinas in the spring time for a change, a hole came in them after 6 weeks . They were comfortable but should have lasted longer. So back to puroforts and stones getting stuck in the grips

The Purofort Plus have a different sole, and don’t suffer with stones getting stuck in them. Unfortunately, they don’t last any longer than the current Puroforts or Bekinas.

Where are people getting the Skellerup wellingtons? I’m tempted to try them next in my quest to find a wellington that might last a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

wrangler wrote: »
    I have cold feet too, I use Trekker socks and they solved the problem, 15 -€20 pair, Merino wool and three year guarantee. Get them at any good hiking shop.
    Expensive yes, Depends how much you value your comfort

Much better idea than buying new wellies. I had muck master wellies and they were fine. They were heavier than Dunlop and more expensive. I try wear wellies as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I like Bekina but the heels wear down fast walking along the shore. The Puroforts are much better.

I am getting some Purofort Thermos. Excellent reviews & very warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

hopeso wrote: »
    Where are people getting the Skellerup wellingtons? I’m tempted to try them next in my quest to find a wellington that might last a while....
    Greg care in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Always wear steel toe wellingtons. My boots get to see so little action I wear my wellingtons so much I like the extra protection they give and I am so accustomed to the weight and feel of them now, I can't go back to normal light, soft wellington. Thing with them is and I tried most brands, is they last no time. Splits at the heel, cracks where the steel toe joins the rubber. Have a pair of black Puroforts again now and they're really good, warm and comfortable with excellent grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My newish purofort starting leaking again. Getting sick of them now. Pricey as they are, you'd expect better. They're a disaster. I went to the local COOP with the intention of buying the skellerup. They didn't have them and came away with a cheap €17 Dunlop.
    At least they're not leaking.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

My newish purofort starting leaking again. Getting sick of them now. Pricey as they are, you'd expect better. They're a disaster. I went to the local COOP with the intention of buying the skellerup. They didn't have them and came away with a cheap €17 Dunlop.

The sad thing is that Puroforts were so much better only a few years ago. I used to get a few years of full time wearing out of a pair.
    It seems like the skellerups are only available online from Gregcare in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The sad thing is that Puroforts were so much better only a few years ago. I used to get a few years of full time wearing out of a pair.
    It seems like the skellerups are only available online from Gregcare in Donegal.

Well, they do have them up on their website;
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Agri-Wellingtons/Quatro-Safety-Insulated-Knee-Wellington-QUATROSAFE

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

My newish purofort starting leaking again. Getting sick of them now. Pricey as they are, you'd expect better. They didn't have them and came away with a cheap €17 Dunlop.

That's what I'm wearing as well atm. At that price you dont mind when they spring a leak. Holding out on buying a more expensive pair, but will wait until I find something nice on the foot. Some of the dunlops are hit and miss. Saw 2 pairs the other day. One was nearly double the price of the other . Both looked the same until you try them on. The cheaper one was fair heavy and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Anyone ever hear of a decent pair Wellington s with a warranty on them? I'm not bothered by price once the company can stand over them for at least 5 or 6months

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Le Chaume or Aigle are the most expensive but most comfortable.
    I got 5 years from a pair of Aigle although that is part time farming and wearing boots in the summer.
    Bad knees and arthritis means I have to splash out on footwear.

Wellman in limerick is where I purchase mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

feartuath wrote: »
    I got 5 years from a pair of Aigle although that is part time farming and wearing boots in the summer.

Do they stand over they're products though ?
    I'm sick and tired of Dunlop or bekina cracking just above the toes ...another pair gone today

feartuath wrote: »

The Aigle look interesting. Yet another brand of wellington that I never heard of...
    How are they size wise? I take a size smaller than my shoe size in a Dunlop or Bekina wellington. I wonder if these are similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Aigle are very good. Have a pair for a good while now and only problem is my narrow heel. The sock gets pulled off me foot.
    Hunters are rubbish. Sole constantly comes away from the upper.
    Dunlop used to make a welly called wildlife. They are the most comfortable boot I ever had. What ever compound they were made out of never got cold. I don’t know why they stopped making them

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Buy the cheap Dunlops as invariably hole whatever I have anyway so no recommendation on wellies.

Couldn’t recommend Ugg slippers highly enough though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The Aigle look interesting. Yet another brand of wellington that I never heard of...
    How are they size wise? I take a size smaller than my shoe size in a Dunlop or Bekina wellington. I wonder if these are similar?

I wear Aigle Paracore boots, for the last 20 years or more. Super boot I find.
    In a shoe or runner I take 44 and in the Aigle boot I go 43 for a snug fit.
    I've a pair of Aigle waders since 2008 and they're still ok, though not as comfortable as new boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I take same size in all footwear, Aigle no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

Spotted this in the hunting Forum -
    https://backtohiking.com/best-rubber-hunting-boots/

Mightn't apply to some as they won't have the same robustness for farm wellies (I'd guess) - used around machinery/mix of concrete-gravel etc./ being used on implements etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Had a bad fall 6 weeks ago wearing regular Dunlop wellies was laid up for a few weeks & had to go to A&E. Ive not worn wellies since steal to capped boots only. Bought a pair of these bucks for wading through slurry for the winter

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/dewalt-hobart-premium-neoprene-safety-wellingtons/p-r25620

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Had a bad fall 6 weeks ago wearing regular Dunlop wellies was laid up for a few weeks & had to go to A&E. Ive not worn wellies since steal to capped boots only. Bought a pair of these bucks for wading through slurry for the winter

https://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/p/dewalt-hobart-premium-neoprene-safety-wellingtons/p-r25620

Are they heavy on your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are they heavy on your feet?

I hope so, its good training :) I've spent €350 on doctors and physios plus what I paid lads to working for me while I was bedbound.
    Some disaster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone else wear Nora wellies? I find them good, but I use orthotic sole inserts in all my boots/shoes.

Worst pr of wellies I ever had were Hunters.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone else wear Nora wellies? I find them good, but I use orthotic sole inserts in all my boots/shoes.

I can't believe how many brands of wellies there are that I never heard of! Do the Nora last a while without leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

My father wears Nora's. I put them on one day and found them very thin on the sole and absolutely lethal grip wise, even though they have a good tread on the sole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I can't believe how many brands of wellies there are that I never heard of! Do the Nora last a while without leaking?

Depends how long it is before I walk on something sharp:rolleyes:

They can crack too, especially where the sole meets the upper. I guess they can have bad batches like everything else. No problem slipping in them, even when I was milking.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My Purofort Thermos are arriving this week. I will report back when I have had the chance to test them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭huwboy

Depends how long it is before I walk on something sharp:rolleyes:

They can crack too, especially where the sole meets the upper. I guess they can have bad batches like everything else. No problem slipping in them, even when I was milking.

Great boot the old Nora's, can't beat them in the parlour, always used to be popular with the dairy lads, don't see them as much now but I have been wearing them for years. Comfy and wash up clean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Muckboots - yes that's what they're called, are the most comfortable wellie on the market, with great ankle support etc. Had a pair of them, cost €135 but had to dump them as they were lethal, zero grip like skates on ice. So beware!

Advertisement