Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 _Fluffy_

Again, I’m not sure if unqualified people would want to take the risk, few workplaces in Ireland as dangerous. 50 nurses were diagnosed with Covid 19 last week - it is unclear how many teachers were. Recent reports of 4 staff members in Gorey, 7 staff members in a special school in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm gonna call it that panels of vetted 'civilians' will be established. Teacher out due to being a close contact then class is supervised by this person and teacher streams back into the class from Ciara Kellys hotpress or Claire Byrnes sauna.

That was muted during the s&s strike/recession. Didn't go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm not surprised it wasn't successful, the rate of pay was abominable, and no guarantee of hours.

Just read the article again and it said the department would assist principals with getting subs, that could mean anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Treppen wrote: »
    That was muted during the s&s strike/recession. Didn't go anywhere.

Would not surprise me if some version is revived again.

• Advertisement

I agree with RealJohn, by assistance they mean throw money at the problem by making ‘extra funding available‘ for schools to solve their own staffing crisis however they see fit because principals know their own schools best etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

they will just throw money at it much like the reopening plan, in doing so the headlines will read that they have spent big to get education safe and the average joe will know no better and think the government are doing something. When school staff continue to give out about safety/tracing etc it will make us all look like the bad guys again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

There would surely be a huge uptake of it from the regular teacher bashers on some other threads .
    Ye have yere chance now ladies and gentleman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It will be up to the Union to chase it up. I notice the terminology has already changed in paper from school teams to community health teams

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/community-health-teams-to-deal-with-outbreaks-in-schools-39666962.html

khalessi wrote: »
    It will be up to the Union to chase it up. I notice the terminology has already changed in paper from school teams to community health teams

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/community-health-teams-to-deal-with-outbreaks-in-schools-39666962.html

Not sure how they will help support schools finding subs at short notice unless the “teams” intend on subbing themselves
    Pure lip service in response to growing media scrutiny .......

• Advertisement

The most important thing we need in the education sector is a definitive definition of what constitutes a close contact and that this isn't allowed to change due to what someone thinks.

No messing around with regards to cases in primary, positive case means all that class plus associated staff all automatically get tested.

With secondary there needs to bea more nuanced approach and maybe some secondary colleagues could make some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

km79 wrote: »
    Not sure how they will help support schools finding subs at short notice unless the “teams” intend on subbing themselves
    Pure lip service in response to growing media scrutiny .......

Agreed as it it they have 4 subs covering 16 schools, dont know how they can stretch them out anymore.

I think there's plenty of teachers on very low hours who could be streamlined into a traveling sub. Even if it's for 1 day in a different school it would make a difference. Of course in Secondary there's always the dear that they'll be poached by another school. Give them a decent travel allowance and some security.
    It works well in primary for a teacher I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

A child in our eldest's class is going for a test today.
    Last contact was Friday.Wonder will we hear from the HSE if it is positive???Outside 48 hours so I doubt it.I don't love the parent Whatsapp group but these days it is very helpful and thankfully the parents in our group are very good for putting the hands up and letting everyone know early.No point waiting to hear from anyone else.

Treppen wrote: »
    I think there's plenty of teachers on very low hours who could be streamlined into a traveling sub. Even if it's for 1 day in a different school it would make a difference. Of course in Secondary there's always the dear that they'll be poached by another school. Give them a decent travel allowance and some security.
    It works well in primary for a teacher I know.
    That’s a lot of contact tracing if that teacher contracts Covid ........

We’re hearing of clusters in primary classes now. For example, there was a screen shot of a message sent to parents by the principal of a school in Swords on that Facebook group keeping track of the numbers, posted on Saturday, thanking the 24 out of 27 parents of the class that had shared their child’s Covid test results with the school, and explaining that 8 of the class had tested positive. Fair play to the parents and the principal.

Furthermore, because of the school knowing who the 8 cases were, they were able to establish that 3 more staff members needed to self-isolate and be tested.

Another example on the same Facebook group was a screenshot of a message from a school in Skibbereen with six positive cases in one classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

_Fluffy_ wrote: »
    We’re hearing of clusters in primary classes now. For example, there was a screen shot of a message sent to parents by the principal of a school in Swords on that Facebook group keeping track of the numbers, posted on Saturday, thanking the 24 out of 27 parents of the class that had shared their child’s Covid test results with the school, and explaining that 8 of the class had tested positive. Fair play to the parents and the principal.

Furthermore, because of the school knowing who the 8 cases were, they were able to establish that 3 more staff members needed to self-isolate and be tested.

Another example on the same Facebook group was a screenshot of a message from a school in Skibbereen with six positive cases in one classroom.
    Why do staff have to isolate if they had masks on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have multiple unqualified covid subs already at second level. Can’t imagine we are the only school. They have a degree and Garda vetting but neither teaching experience nor teaching qualification. They are a body in the room. Nice people don’t get me wrong but not ideal at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Why do staff have to isolate if they had masks on ?

Because masks don’t protect the wearer, they protect others and students at primary aren’t wearing them. And at second level no one teacher can see if a student has taken off their masks, nose out etc at all times. They don’t have thirty sets of eyes in their head

Exactly. Mirrorwall14 is spot on. And sure, if facemasks guaranteed complete immunity, nobody would need to work from home, there'd be no need for social distancing or disinfecting shopping baskets in the supermarket, the country wouldn't be worrying about all the closed shops going out of business because they wouldn't have had to close, level 5 wouldn't exist... Would there even be a pandemic?

• Advertisement

This principal is pretty straight in what they think to Emma O''Kelly.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1173968/?__twitter_impression=true

The pressure from the media is mounting now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

km79 wrote: »
    The pressure from the media is mounting now

For the week that they are off... Then it'll be ignoring it as per usual.

_Fluffy_ wrote: »
    Exactly. Mirrorwall14 is spot on. And sure, if facemasks guaranteed complete immunity, nobody would need to work from home, there'd be no need for social distancing or disinfecting shopping baskets in the supermarket, the country wouldn't be worrying about all the closed shops going out of business because they wouldn't have had to close, level 5 wouldn't exist... Would there even be a pandemic?
    Sorry I didn't mean to give impression it was enough just a member of school management said that you can be in a class with a covid student and not be counted as a close contact because of the masks!? Made no sense to me

I think the pressure for school closures will continue to mount.

Sorry Bobtheman, I completely understand you now, and agree with you. The principal and staff in the aforementioned school in Swords appear to be making the decision to count the staff as close contacts, independent of the HSE recommendations (if there have been any). It seems some schools are making the decision to ask parents to contact them directly instead of waiting to see if/when the HSE do it. I only know this from reading all the screenshots of messages sent in to the Facebook group that is keeping a record. It's eye-opening, to say the least.

Can I get a link to the facebook page please?

May we all be safe. I honestly don't think the government knows exactly what it's doing. I hope no teacher dies or suffers long term damage because of the negligence of the government.
    Unfortunately our political parties are not great and we have largely ourselves to blame. Too many Independents

"Discussions between the department and teacher trade unions and school management bodies will continue over the mid-term."

What a load of proverbial

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Can I get a link to the facebook page please?

Certainly! https://www.facebook.com/groups/600905740607906

I was slow to join it myself because it is a parents' group, but I think there are school staff who are not parents contributing to the group too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement