Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*EMERGENCY*

Options
  • 22-10-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

What number do you automatically choose?
    ...in Ireland.

999 or 112

What number do you call in an emergency? 122 votes

63% 77 votes
    36% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Both work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

999 or 112

Post in boards first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Post in boards first

Hi boards.ie my house is on fire :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi boards.ie my house is on fire.

At last...

"Blast it with piss" is most definitely a viable option here!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Pigsaw

Look at this kunt with his own house

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do you suspect immigrant or traveller involvement?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I suspect 999 is more popular with older posters and 112 with the youth?

Vote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I suspect 999 is more popular with older posters and 112 with the youth?

Vote now.

Well my 12 year old just said 112 when I asked him, so he's now banished to the shed.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

banie01 wrote: »
    At last...

"Blast it with piss" is most definitely a viable option here!

Alexa...emergency, will piss put my house fire out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Interestingly 911 works here too, is it due to many people just watching too much US television or is it to aid US tourists I wonder? Do any other nations emergency codes work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Both work.

Indeed they do, but which would you automatically choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wiggum_e8a6cd_6522718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The proper way of it (i've been told) is this:

999 - Immediate emergency, life or death situation, etc
    112 - Needs some emergency service but not as life threatening
    911 - People are stupid so this works too

Realistically, all 3 will get you through. The 112 is more European, 911 is obviously 'Merican, and 999 is our own one. But then, if you ahve a look at other countries, they're all over the place, with some having different numbers for police, fire and ambulance: Linky

Glad to see 999 way in the lead in this poll. Interestingly on yesterday's RTE News there was a lucky escape for older man on a cliff edge (his dog died) but he was rescued by emergency services, the RTE reporter then reminded us that in an emergency everybody should call 112.

No mention of 999 was made :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The proper way of it (i've been told) is this:

999 - Immediate emergency, life or death situation, etc
    112 - Needs some emergency service but not as life threatening
    911 - People are stupid so this works too

Realistically, all 3 will get you through. The 112 is more European, 911 is obviously 'Merican, and 999 is our own one. But then, if you ahve a look at other countries, they're all over the place, with some having different numbers for police, fire and ambulance: Linky

Please amend the above as some people will read it and think it's true!

999 and 112 are the exact same. You end up talking to the exact same operator. No difference. The reason that people should get into the habit of using 112 is that this is the number you can use in any EU country (so you don't need to know the specific old number the country you are visiting used to use).

The only reason 999 still exists is for the elderly etc who may not remember 112 (especially in when in a panic) as they will have spent their life with 999.

In fact, 112 is deemed the better one as you can also text it apparently (I've never tried, so can't say for certain how effective it is). This is obviously an advantage if you are in a situation where you don't want to let someone hear you call the police (domestic violence situation etc) or if you are disabled (mute/deaf etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about 999112?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What about 999112?

And is Australia 666 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

dotsman wrote: »

999 and 112 are the exact same. You end up talking to the exact same operator. No difference. The reason that people should get into the habit of using 112 is that this is the number you can use in any EU country (so you don't need to know the specific old number the country you are visiting used to use).

The only reason 999 still exists is for the elderly etc who may not remember 112 (especially in when in a panic) as they will have spent their life with 999.

In fact, 112 is deemed the better one as you can also text it apparently (I've never tried, so can't say for certain how effective it is). This is obviously an advantage if you are in a situation where you don't want to let someone hear you call the police (domestic violence situation etc) or if you are disabled (mute/deaf etc)

Elderly! I called 999 last week and I'm not feckin elderly! If its true you can text 112 that should be publicised more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

You need to register for the text function on 112

https://www2.hse.ie/emergencies/when-to-call-112-or-999.html#:~:text=There%20are%20two%20emergency%20numbers,any%20phone%2C%20free%20of%20charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

And is Australia 666 ?

No, that’s the devil’s direct line.

The elderly?

In which case most voters on this poll must be elderly seeing as 999 is so far ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You can ring 112 from anywhere in the world it's the same as ringing 999 here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No, that’s the devil’s direct line.
    And in Australia it's a local call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Elderly! I called 999 last week and I'm not feckin elderly! If its true you can text 112 that should be publicised more.
    The elderly?

In which case most voters on this poll must be elderly seeing as 999 is so far ahead :)

Well, I did say elderly "etc"...

...and by "etc", I meant people who may be a little slow on the uptake ;)

Guys, 112 was rolled out almost 23 years ago as the default emergency number of this country. It is hardly a new fad! and it's only 3 feckin digits to remember!

As for the text option, yes it exists. But as Drake said above, you need to register first for some bizarre reason. But, as per the Garda website - there is no guarantee that the operator will pass on the info to the guards (only in Ireland)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well, I did say elderly "etc"...

...and by "etc", I meant people who may be a little slow on the uptake ;)

Guys, 112 was rolled out almost 23 years ago as the default emergency number of this country. It is hardly a new fad! and it's only 3 feckin digits to remember!

As for the text option, yes it exists. But as Drake said above, you need to register first for some bizarre reason. But, as per the Garda website - there is no guarantee that the operator will pass on the info to the guards (only in Ireland)!

Well, I suppose when we were kids it was always 'dial 999' and it's just ingrained. I can NEVER remember 112. I don't think it's about being slow on the uptake, more about how you react in an emergency with the adrenaline pumping. In those circumstances it will be the number you've heard reeled off and repeated since you were small.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

112 wouldn't have been half as much fun on a rotary phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I call the operator and ask what the number for 911 is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've only used it once. 112 it was.

Advertisement