Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

I tend to concur that they are largely a complete waste of time.

A similar one floating around for gyms with almost 50k signatures: https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-move-gyms-to-essential-services-for-the-mental-physical-wellbeing-of-the-irish-people

It certainly doesn't seem like a medium that will have the powers that be reconsider their decision.

You say this but when a politician sees a petition floating around with thousands of signatures they realise they are loosing/have lost the room, they may not change their mind this time around but we cannot just let this go or we'll be back in the same situation in January

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Social tennis allowed outdoors; just to compound that ridiculous decision on golf from yesterday

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think change.org is a waste of time personally. Just a method of collecting email addresses to spam them. I don't know anything that was actually changed as a result of a petition on change.org.

Email your TD so? It's a farce that tennis, horse racing, greyhound racing, gaa and rugby can continue but golf cant. There is zero evidence that I've seen that golf has contributed in any sort of significant way to covid's spread :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Sorry if I missed it, are driving ranges closed now as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

TRS30 wrote: »

Nope

Individual practice is ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

jams100 wrote: »
    You say this but when a politician sees a petition floating around with thousands of signatures they realise they are loosing/have lost the room, they may not change their mind this time around but we cannot just let this go or we'll be back in the same situation in January

I don't agree that politicians pay much attention to online petitions of any sort.

An online petition or petition of any sort doesn't seem like the most productive medium to voice an opinion in the current era.

There are far more salient means of demonstrating ones grievances with this or other similar decisions. One strong voice in the right position is far more powerful than 50k faceless people submitting first & last name with their email address.
    Online petitions are likely way down the list of what politicians believe are representative of "lost rooms".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

I believe so, I was due to have a few lessons at the range but received an email from the instructor yesterday saying the range was closing down for the 6 weeks.

Nope

GDK_11 wrote: »
    I believe so, I was due to have a few lessons at the range but received an email from the instructor yesterday saying the range was closing down for the 6 weeks.

:confused:

Not a go at either of you. Just shows the poor communication!

I don't agree that politicians pay much attention to online petitions of any sort.

An online petition or petition of any sort doesn't seem like the most productive medium to voice an opinion in the current era.

There are far more salient means of demonstrating ones grievances with this or other similar decisions. One strong voice in the right position is far more powerful than 50k faceless people submitting first & last name with their email address.
    Online petitions are likely way down the list of what politicians believe are representative of "lost rooms".

Look I agree with you, but the GUI have proved useless and the sports minister catherine martin is the same...its not as if we can or should go out protesting with the virus but if people don't speak out the decision makers won't know the impact of their decisions.
    Apparently the board of sport Ireland doesn't have anyone on the board with a golf background

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Checked with my local range and its closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So tennis - a sport where people use the same ball and may be in close proximity (if both players are near the net) - gets the go ahead while golf gets shut down?

Complete and utter joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Zedmann

El Sueño wrote: »
    So tennis - a sport where people use the same ball and may be in close proximity (if both players are near the net) - gets the go ahead while golf gets shut down?

Complete and utter joke

Just to point out tennis hasn't got the go ahead as such, more that they never got a specific no from government last night so are chancing their arm. It may well be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Groups of cyclists pass my house every day in close proximity to each other and they cycle together for hours. How are they allowed continue their sport / exercise / hobby while golfers are not?

I would be a lot less annoyed if ALL SPORTS were cancelled for the lockdown period but as usual in Ireland we manage to f**k it up and p**s half the population off by doing things a**eways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭finglashoop

:confused:

Not a go at either of you. Just shows the poor communication!

Agreed

Elmgreen range is open according to email yesterday. Nothing further since

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Zedmann wrote: »
    Just to point out tennis hasn't got the go ahead as such, more that they never got a specific no from government last night so are chancing their arm. It may well be shut down.

Tennis read the rules and abide by them and didn’t ask permission. The GUI went hat in hand and got told to do one. I know which approach is the correct one. You have to force people to do what you want you don’t ask. Let them be the bad guys. The GUI is totally discredited over this debacle

Agreed

Elmgreen range is open according to email yesterday. Nothing further since

Will be rammed then as three ones close to me are all closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Tennis read the rules and abide by them and didn’t ask permission. The GUI went hat in hand and got told to do one. I know which approach is the correct one. You have to force people to do what you want you don’t ask. Let them be the bad guys. The GUI is totally discredited over this debacle

It's easier to ask for forgiveness later than permission before!

Tennis Ireland have played a blinder... fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

golf okay in the north - not okay in the south

complete shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

can we chip around a tennis court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭secman

Groups of cyclists pass my house every day in close proximity to each other and they cycle together for hours. How are they allowed continue their sport / exercise / hobby while golfers are not?

I would be a lot less annoyed if ALL SPORTS were cancelled for the lockdown period but as usual in Ireland we manage to f**k it up and p**s half the population off by doing things a**eways.

All cycling clubs have advised members that group spins are to cease from midnight. Members can cycle solo within 5km from their home. School going members in academy can still go out for spins in groups of 15 but 5km loop still applies. That 15 grouping applies to soccer, GAA etc for school going children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Are there any non Gui affiliated courses/par 3s open anywhere?

https://mailchi.mp/a270e0df9cd8/covid-19-level-3-and-level-9428073?e=cf70e889cf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Nope

I think they're still awaiting confirmation on driving ranges? It would be such a joke to allow driving ranges but not allow golf. Sure you'd be closer to a person on the range than a course! And it doesn't solve the problem of people driving over 5km to the courses. (I'm saying this as someone who wants the golf courses to stay open by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

So they write the rules then tell everyone to shut down until they can confirm the rules and **** it all up. It says in black and white individual training is allowed then there should be no reason to shut a tennis court down let alone a driving range

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just to input gor message last night from rugby club. Kids u18 can continue to train in pods of 15 non contact and not onky does the 5k not apply neither does the county boundaries.... As directed by IRFU. Absolute joke of a lock down

So they write the rules then tell everyone to shut down until they can confirm the rules and **** it all up. It says in black and white individual training is allowed then there should be no reason to shut a tennis court down let alone a driving range

Yes I agree. Golf and tennis should both be allowed. Driving ranges I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Nope

where does anything say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Tennis got the chop too this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It appears even golf and tennis coaching for kids is not allowed but is allowed for soccer, rugby and gaa.

Tis makes no sense what so ever.

All kids should be allow coaching in their chosen outdoor sport.

This idiotic rule could push junior golfers to join other clubs where they can get coaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭almostover

Zedmann wrote: »
    Yes I agree. Golf and tennis should both be allowed. Driving ranges I would say no.

I was at the driving range in Ballincollig Tuesday night and the place was rammed full of teenagers sharing clubs and arriving in the same car. I love to see younger folk playing the game but over the last while it became clear to me that driving ranges became a social meet up for youngsters who were denied that privilege in normal meet up locations due to the restrictions. I can understand full why driving ranges would close.

This living with COVID strategy is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The spirit of the rules in this scenario is far more important that the rules themselves. Golf is utterly safe, as is driving more than 5km to play it. Problem is human behaviour. That goes for the GAA too, the matches themselves can be conducted in a very safe manner. What goes on around that is the issue. Theres no way the people of Ireland will cope with rolling restrictions for another 12 months.

Advertisement