Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Bobtheman wrote: »
    That's according to our VP whom I suspect Is talking through their hole.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Only way to be a close contact in secondary now is to be in the company of someone who is maskless for more than 15mins and not socially distancing. This all has to be i doors as well.

Canteen seems to be only place in theory where this can occur and I've heard stories of schools this week moving students on within 10mi s of sitting down to eat.

This was brought in last Friday.

Social distancing definitely collapses at break and lunch.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    Other sectors are being asked that though. Quite a few in the above sectors can't have one or the other or both.

This forum is specifically a teaching and learning forum. It isn't a competition of who has it the worst. This thread is a place where teachers can air their concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,133 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bobtheman wrote: »
    It seems for a close contact masks have to be off around you for a considerable amount of time. Just being around another student is not enough.
    That's according to our VP whom I suspect Is talking through their hole.

He /she isn’t
    That’s true
    I really doubt any P/VP would be lying either to keep a possibly ill person in school
    Jesus things are bad enough without us turning on each other
    The hse have decreed different rules for schools
    The Dept of Education are forcing schools with active large and growing clusters to remain open/reopen
    School staff are doing their best .
    The Facebook page with all the information is getting it out their publically bit is also full of people moaning about schools not informing other parents etc etc
    Schools are NOT allowed . It is the job of the HSE.
    No matter how many times it is said the Joe Duffy brigrade will be screaming what a disgrace school management /staff are for not telling everyone who has the virus !

Social distancing definitely collapses at break and lunch.

The decent weather up until this week was a god send for schools with limited indoor space........it helped keep a lot of schools a little bit safer and stay open . Now we move into winter .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Only way to be a close contact in secondary now is to be in the company of someone who is maskless for more than 15mins and not socially distancing. This all has to be i doors as well.

Canteen seems to be only place in theory where this can occur and I've heard stories of schools this week moving students on within 10mi s of sitting down to eat.

This was brought in last Friday.

Heard that alright and had to be during break
    Wonder how they apply it to primary schools who never wear masks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Dr Heather Burns, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, says schools are not key drivers of Covid-19 transmission in the community | https://t.co/gFZE1PY0sE pic.twitter.com/yiK1pcXC6h

More garbage.

They might not be drivers but they're certainly passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Dr Heather Burns, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, says schools are not key drivers of Covid-19 transmission in the community | https://t.co/gFZE1PY0sE pic.twitter.com/yiK1pcXC6h

More garbage.

You are very confident to be able to say that.

I admire your confidence, to reject the statement of a Public Health doctor.

She has access to all the evidence, yet you dismiss her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://twitter.com/checian/status/1318586669315088384?s=20

Now that Norma Foley has emerged from the long Autumn of hibernation, I can't wait to hear the explanation she gives for the instruction not to provide distance learning materials for pupils who are isolating on medical grounds.

I thought the line was that all students deserve an education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Why can't they introduce two weeks in school, two weeks from home.

Say 1st to 3rd years for two weeks and then home for two weeks.

4th to 6th years in then for two weeks then and home for two weeks.

It would really help stop the spread and give teachers plenty if time to get plans together for the two weeks off.

• Advertisement

Jimson wrote: »

It would really help stop the spread and give teachers plenty if time to get plans together for the two weeks off.

The moment Ronan Glynn told us we all have to half our social contacts a month ago I suggested that
    Still no remote teaching guidelines for secondary
    Friday night of the midterm I assume .....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    It's not just the schools that are the only thing open and teachers are far, far, far from the only people who will be working (not from home) for the next 6 weeks (and even then the schools will be closed for 1 week at midterm).

There will also be:
    Supermarket staff
    Hardware store staff
    Safety supply shop staff
    Pharmacists and staff
    Some other shops (e.g. pound shops)
    Food production and manufacturing employees
    Medical device manufacturing employees
    Pharmaceutical manufacturing
    Banks, credit unions, post offices
    Couriers, depots and sorting offices
    Delivery drivers
    Warehouse staff, picking staff
    ESB workers
    Firefighters
    Broadband and phone suppliers
    Train and bus drivers
    Cleaners across all industries
    Refugees
    Direct provision centres
    Health care professionals, housekeeping staff, home helps, laboratory staff, GP's, midwives
    Vets, fisheries, horticulture staff
    Disability care staff
    Childminders and creches
    Environmental Health Officers
    Prison officers
    Waste removal and waste disposal staff
    An Garda

And many more that I didn't even list. 1000's and 1000's of workers who have been working throughout the entire pandemic. All deemed essential. None who get to work from home for even 1 day, never mind the next 2 years. And let's be honest, none of our work places were designed with a pandemic in mind.

Yeah I know that.I am not disputing that, I am not commenting on teachers or their working conditions, or making comparisons.I am simply saying that the data available should become clearer and give a good indication of where schools lie as places that are key to transmission of the virus between children, and therefore other members of the community.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Jimson wrote: »

Because schools aren’t open for safety reasons. They’re open for keeping parents working reasons, and parents being off work every two weeks (and every week if the kids are in the wrong years) doesn’t work for the government.

I’d be saying 3rd, 5th, and 6th years in full time (or four days out of five, maybe), 1st, 2nd, and 4th years in two days out of five, all staggered to avoid each other as possible, and teachers giving the students extra work to do on the days they’re home, That way, the exam students are still well catered for. That will never happen though, because the 5th and 6th years are the ones who can safely be left at home without parents (in theory anyway), so working parents would still be affected, and the government can’t have that.

km79 wrote: »
    The moment Ronan Glynn told us we all have to half our social contacts a month ago I suggested that
    Still no remote teaching guidelines for secondary
    Friday night of the midterm I assume .....

Yeah, they couldn't have schools closed and Level 5 announced at the same time. Probably extend the mid term break next Wednesday or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Do the maths!

Bull**** from HSE,we will tell the close contacts..............................by the time they have infected half the town!

Consider this!

Schools stay open as Dept said so.............................lots of money saved.

Some actuary has done the figures,one teacher passes away from Covid,contracted in school,family sues Dept,the pay out will be minimal compared to what the Dept would have to pay if the schools were closed! Plain and simple.

If and when this happens schools will close as it takes only ONE case to render it unsafe.The overall sum saved will be significant.

Interesting how now that they are asking for figures, it is reported that cases in schools are rising sharply

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1021/1173019-coronavirus-schools-figures/

There has been a sharp rise in the number of weekly Covid-19 outbreaks being detected in schools for a second week running, according to the latest public health data.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    This forum is specifically a teaching and learning forum. It isn't a competition of who has it the worst. This thread is a place where teachers can air their concerns.

A thread named "Covid in Schools" is just for teachers to air their concerns"?

Balagan1 wrote: »
    A thread named "Covid in Schools" is just for teachers to air their concerns"?

Well, it is in a teachers forum. Who were you expecting to be replying, The Spanish Inquisition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Who were you expecting to be replying, The Spanish Inquisition?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition :pac:

Both RTE and independent websites leading with Covid cases doubling in schools week on week
    The pressure is mounting now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Both RTE and independent websites leading with Covid cases doubling in schools week on week

They LOVE this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Finally beginning to look in our direction.

Very good primary principal on Claire Byrne this morning. Very clear, measured and consice on what things are like on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

Well, it is in a teachers forum. Who were you expecting to be replying, The Spanish Inquisition?

Do you own this thread? Where does it state that it is a forum solely for teachers? It is a discussion site and not a question and answer set-up to which replies are sent.

And it would seem natural (to me) to assume that a thread on Covid in Schools might also be a place for parents and grandparents and pupils/students to be involved, as well as teachers.

Where the Spanish Inquisition fits in, I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Government narrative/lunacy will be holed below the waterline in another few days. They haven't got a friggin' clue. Schools will have to be closed to stop the transmission of the virus or a genuine hybrid system put in place. The party drum beaters and government shills who want the schools open have no shame.

I look forward to the day when the guards raid government offices investigating criminal wrong doing as has happened in France. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Do you own this thread? Where does it state that it is a forum solely for teachers? It is a discussion site and not a question and answer set-up to which replies are sent.

And it would seem natural (to me) to assume that a thread on Covid in Schools might also be a place for parents and grandparents and pupils/students to be involved, as well as teachers.

This is not solely for teachers but it is posted in the teaching forum which means the vast majority of people who post and interact here are teachers. Its a place where teachers can voice concerns/share strategies.

Every page or two a new person pops in and talks about how teachers are always complaining/how so many people have it worse etc. This adds nothing to the thread and usually derails it for a few posts. This has happened over and over and over again so may explain some of the previous posts.

There is a schools reopened thread in the coronavirus section of the Current Affairs forum that may suit people.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I have to wonder about the people who are expected to do their own contact tracing. If a school case is involved, which it almost certainly will, will teachers/students still not be defined at close contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    I have to wonder about the people who are expected to do their own contact tracing. If a school case is involved, which it almost certainly will, will teachers/students still not be defined at close contacts?

They say that school aged kids have been pulled from the list and will be done by the tracers.

They say that school aged kids have been pulled from the list and will be done by the tracers.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

You do realise it is Halloween next week not April Fools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Polka_Dot wrote: »

Teachers are not to do their own contact tracing without consulting the principal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bit of a difference on the figures mentioned on rte Vs figures on a FB group who post varified cases 240+ (HSE)
    Vs 840+ (FB )

Can we have the truth please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement