Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv with free sat built in

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I have an LG tv and use the tv's terrestrial tuner for saorview. You can rearrange the channels.
    You can also put channels on hotkeys, e.g. long press 1 = rte 1, 2 = rte 2, etc.

I have now tv, iplayer and chromecast set to hotkeys.

I renumbered my terrestrial channels fine. However I constantly get told that the DTT channels have changed and a rescan should be done (can't recall the exact message) when I first go to the Irish channels, especially RTE2 it seems. If I say yes then it drops all the channels and renumbering. So I just say no. Using Maghera for DTT.

You ever see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MBSnr wrote: »
    I renumbered my terrestrial channels fine. However I constantly get told that the DTT channels have changed and a rescan should be done (can't recall the exact message) when I first go to the Irish channels, especially RTE2 it seems. If I say yes then it drops all the channels and renumbering. So I just say no. Using Maghera for DTT.

You ever see that?
    I have a Panasonic Freeview recorder with the Saorview channels initially stored in the 800s which I've reordered from LCN 1 onwards. That message does appear on occasion, just the nature of the beast for UK setup receivers used with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I receive the same message. I just say no. I rarely watch saorview now so it doesn't bother me.

The now tv app is working well for me. It seems to have updated recently. Very handy to have on the tv.

Another separate thing - this evening I connected my chromecast directly to the tv's usb port, instead of it being plugged in separately.

This means I don't have to get up now to plug the chromecast in and out, as I was afraid it would use too much data. Now once I power off the tv on the remote the chromecast switches off too, so it is only using data while the tv is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

MBSnr wrote: »

You ever see that?

Is there an option to turn off LCN update in the menu ?

Settings > All Settings > Programmes > Programme Tuning & Settings > Programme List Update (Switch Off)

Do it after you have renumbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did that but info comes up saying it could affect changes in programmes. Affect recording if the epg data changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Did that but info comes up saying it could affect changes in programmes. Affect recording if the epg data changes?

If the channel ever moves frequency, maybe! How likely is that to happen ever on terrestrial Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

STB. wrote: »
    Is there an option to turn off LCN update in the menu ?

Settings > All Settings > Programmes > Programme Tuning & Settings > Programme List Update (Switch Off)

Do it after you have renumbered.

Thanks. Turned it on, but the message still came up. I can live with it, as like others I rarely watch the Irish channels on this TV anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Barr wrote: »
    Always thought FTA and freesat were the same thing .... learn something new everyday :)

I have an old sky box upstairs that has 101 BBC, 102 BBC 2 etc. Was hoping for similar through a tv

Doing a bit on research on LG'S now

Would ye reckon of this one , seems good price

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lk6100-32-smart-hdr-led-tv-10178870-pdt.html

Bought this TV for my Dad back at Christmas. Perfect for Saorview/Free To Air Sat. He's happy with it. Lots of smart apps also; netflix, RTE player, IPTV etc.
    €249 is a great price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wouldn't be afraid of Free to Air. Frequency changes are only occasional, not all the time, and there are plenty of sources for frequency information. And if you are a typical viewer, you might only watch a few different channels.
    FreeSat means channels changes just happen.

But more importantly you get a full EPG instead of just Now and Next. It's handy.

The big trick is making sure you can setup channels such that you can switch between RTE and BBC without having to press a load of extra buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Bought the TV over the weekend too replace a 10 year old Philips which died on me didn't realise how small a 32 inch is now compared to before and did a quick set up - didn't have too much time to fully master the operation plus I need to get my dish realigned as the sat tuner wasn't picking up the freesat channels

just to clarify for freesat to work - country setting must be UK

if Country setting is UK - saorview channels and data channels all pulled in and no order

so my initial question is how can I just have the 7 saorview channels in a simplified order - happy to have them in the 800s

how can I easily go from saorview to sat?

thank you

Thanks again guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

kooga wrote: »

so my initial question is how can I just have the 7 saorview channels in a simplified order - happy to have them in the 800s

how can I easily go from saorview to sat

I think there should be a facility in the channel edit menus to renumber the Irish channel's as you want them, 1,2,3.............. Similarly you should be able to just rearrange them together.

For switching try holding the no1 button while on the Irish channel's and it may let you save the channel to that number. Try the same process using no2 button while you have a sat channel on.
    Afterwards a long press of either 1 or 2 may switch.
    It doesn't work all the time but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭decor58

Do you any experience of the WALKER smart centre app. I have downloaded the app, on the plus side the channel listing mirrors my channel set up on a 24WPS19P, (Saorview and Sat), i.e. in the order I have set up, it allows me move the Sat channels on the TV to lower numbers 7,8,9, etc, and the app shows a 3 day epg. On the downside some of the features don't appear to work, the Virgin listings don't update, all the others RTE, BBC, ITV etc all do, when a programme is selected there is a record option but it does not work. The app looks like it has loads of potential but needs some fine tuning, there is a similar app for Toshiba, so I presume its a modified Vestel app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I purchased this 4K TV from Argos the other day, fantastic picture quality, tons of apps and all the Freeview catch-up services loaded into the EPG and menu. Comes with buttons on the remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and has the Now TV & Sky Store aps as well. FreeSat input as well for those that need it, you can record to USB, Saorview is supported, built in bluetooth and wifi and can be synced and controlled with Alexa and has a handy phone app for quickly showing pictures and videos from your phone on the TV. A fantastic TV and also surprisingly a very cheap price at £349.99 or €429.00. Probably cheaper to get in the north if you're close to the border as it's working our around €30 odd cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

PFMC84 wrote: »
    I purchased this 4K TV from Argos the other day, fantastic picture quality, tons of apps and all the Freeview catch-up services loaded into the EPG and menu. Comes with buttons on the remote for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and has the Now TV & Sky Store aps as well. FreeSat input as well for those that need it, you can record to USB, Saorview is supported, built in bluetooth and wifi and can be synced and controlled with Alexa and has a handy phone app for quickly showing pictures and videos from your phone on the TV. A fantastic TV and also surprisingly a very cheap price at £349.99 or €429.00. Probably cheaper to get in the north if you're close to the border as it's working our around €30 odd cheaper.

Looks good!
    Does it have an ethernet RJ45 socket or is it only connected via wifi?
    Is Kodi available in its apps?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Have LG upgraded their software to allow direct swintching from FTA to Terrestrial and vice versa?
    With my older LG it took about 10 button pushes to go from BBC1 to RTE1...

Toshiba is more straightforward...channel 1 and up is terrestrial, channel 300 and up is FTA. Just select the channel number ya want and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what TV makes have all channels on one list...

Walker, Toshiba any else?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

fryup wrote: »
    so what TV makes have all channels on one list...

Walker, Toshiba any else?

Nordmende

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Looks good!
    Does it have an ethernet RJ45 socket or is it only connected via wifi?
    Is Kodi available in its apps?

Thanks.

Mine is connected by RJ45 to the router.

I haven't checked for Kodi in their app store but considering the heat around it and what people really use it for, I don't think you'll find any TV manufacturer offering it in their app store. Best to use your phone/connected USB device to install it on to.

I used the TV a lot over the weekend and watched Glastonbury - delighted with my purchase

thanks for the tip on the quick access
    1 = saorview
    2 = freesat
    3 = Now tv
    4 = tv Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what make & model?

• Advertisement

tv is now reduced to €229 in currys

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garymt

Do any new tvs still have Freesat tuners? (At least 2 sat tuners).
    Not bothered about Saorview/Freeview input....
    Or is there any other way to get 7day EPG?
    Regards
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Linux enigma 2 powered boxes have full 7 day EPG including the channels not on freeSat such as Channel4 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garymt

Linux enigma 2 powered boxes have full 7 day EPG including the channels not on freeSat such as Channel4 HD

Thanks, Gerry - have Zgemma 7s, but wifey cant work multi remotes....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

garymt wrote: »
    Thanks, Gerry - have Zgemma 7s, but wifey cant work multi remotes....

Leave it on the hdmi source for using the h7s and use tv remote to switch on tv,she needs to play with it to see what to do or on a bit of paper what buttons to press:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you enable HDMI-CEC the box will switch the TV on and off as needed. No need for a 2nd remote unless you have multiple devices connected to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

garymt wrote: »
    Do any new tvs still have Freesat tuners? (At least 2 sat tuners).
    Not bothered about Saorview/Freeview input....
    Or is there any other way to get 7day EPG?
    Regards
    G

LG, Panasonic and Samsung are the only TV brands that have Freesat built in. To get one with 2 Freesat tuners will be expensive as they are normally only on their high-end models. Always worth seeing the TV in a shop to confirm 2 Satellite inputs are present as specs on sites aren't always correct. There will always be a Saorview input. So you will need a TV from the brands above with 3 inputs at the back of the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sony 55" 4K oled and yes its expensive and has 3 tuners and told Sonos sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

greasepalm wrote: »
    Sony 55" 4K oled and yes its expensive and has 3 tuners and told Sonos sound

Sony don't make Freesat TVs. It's only a FTA tuner (now & next data only)

Advertisement