Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cooking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

It depends on your plans. I cook a big turkey for four because we’ll eat it for dinner for four on Christmas Day, then second dinner for tea on Christmas Day. Then third dinner on Stephen’s day and sandwiches for tea. Then possibly turkey curry or soup or other on the 27th. Small turkey wouldn’t cut it 😂

Me too love the full dinner again on the 26th and you can’t beat the sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

SarahLil wrote: »
    Me too love the full dinner again on the 26th and you can’t beat the sandwiches

It always tastes even better because there’s so little prep needed! Picked up a plug in Bain Marie last year too, the bliss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

washiskin wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

I do similar but I add toasted crushed hazelnuts and glug of white wine to them.

Ooh, might have to try that. Wine makes everything nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

SarahLil wrote: »
    If you are getting your turkey from a butcher they will probably give you a thermometer thing that you stick in the turkey and it pops once it’s cooked

They're always well overdone. The only way to do poultry properly is with a meat thermometer. Take the turkey out at 160F.

It always tastes even better because there’s so little prep needed! Picked up a plug in Bain Marie last year too, the bliss!!

Me too we I got one too so handy Christmas Day we had 7 last year on Christmas Day, Stephens Day was more relaxed just me OH and my mam

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    They're always well overdone. The only way to do poultry properly is with a meat thermometer. Take the turkey out at 160F.

No dry turkey here thanks
    I am big on basting my turkey
    Thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last couple of years when we were hosting for 12+ we got a large turkey boned and rolled, each time cooked perfectly and between Christmas Dinner and st Stephens day not a morsel went to waste. This year it'll just be the 4 of us for dinner so I'll get a smaller turkey (enough for 6 people ) boned and rolled, will get a smaller ham too though there's little chance of that going to waste either.
    As I'm used to cooking larger turkey and hams ill need to check the times before cooking this year though. We have a meat thermometer which we use but agree with the post above, have found the little popper ones the butcher gives us work fine, have never let us down anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks all!

More than likely it will be us two adults and the two kids. Depending on the covid situation we might have my MIL and BIL over as well. Unlikely, but planning for them meatwise JIC. Anything left over will be used in sandwiches and/or left over dinners for the few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I had planned doing a bird on the BBQ as I have done in the past, but with there being only two adults this Christmas that seems like madness. Though I feel like it won't be a real christmas without a big turkey, but the dog would end up in a coma if we cooked one.

How long will cooked turkey last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Made this yesterday. One VERY happy husband and happy kids. I ate roasties but I did taste. It was very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

The o/h is mad keen to try deep fried turkey, thanks to this.....

Made this yesterday. One VERY happy husband and happy kids. I ate roasties but I did taste. It was very good

Roast beef just about done for dinner here and I completely forgot the sweet potatoes.
    Thanks for the update, will definitely do them during the week.

Have fruit soaking in whisky for the first Christmas cake. Will have to bake it tomorrow as the oven is currently busy and it takes over 4 hours. Can't wait for the smell though...

First cake out of the oven and the house smells like Christmas

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm intrigued by this traditional mince pie recipe, using beef as well as fruits and nuts. Has anyone tried something similar? Would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

This has been my carrot cake go to for years. The recipe is perfect. Cream cheese frosting, the cake is really moist as there's a good bit of oil in the recipe, and so much flavour with the nutmeg and ginger, cinnamon etc

I add crushed walnuts after icing the cake and cut into small carrot cake bites / slices.

Amazing!! It's a Gemma Stafford recipe

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.Com/best-ever-carrot-cake/.

I love her stuff! I started making her brown soda bread with a few tweeks and it's gorgeous! I must try her carrot cake as I love carrot cake!

scarepanda wrote: »
    I love her stuff! I started making her brown soda bread with a few tweeks and it's gorgeous! I must try her carrot cake as I love carrot cake!

Me too! Found her on the Internet years ago and ever since I take what she says as gospel! :V best tip I learned from her was to freeze the butter before you grate it into a scone mix, makes for v easy mixing!

Yeah id highly recommend it. I only started to like carrot cake a couple years back and will use her recipe forever.

Just looking at the recipe and there's no nuts in it, could you add some do you think?

Just looking at the recipe and there's no nuts in it, could you add some do you think?

Yeah you could definitely add some in to the actual mix if you wanted to. I generally only add to the top of the cake simply because if someone who has a nut allergy or doesn't like nuts wants a slice, they can simply take them off the top rather than having them inside the mix.

I add sultanas in mine too but they are optional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Me too! Found her on the Internet years ago and ever since I take what she says as gospel! :V best tip I learned from her was to freeze the butter before you grate it into a scone mix, makes for v easy mixing!

Yeah id highly recommend it. I only started to like carrot cake a couple years back and will use her recipe forever.

That was on the odiums website for shortcrust pastry for apple tart

• Advertisement

ellejay wrote: »
    That was on the odiums website for shortcrust pastry for apple tart

Very handy tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mincemeat is one of those things you think would be very hard to make, but it's actually stupidly easy to make and tweak to fillings you like.

I used to make it to sell at markets etc; a HUGE bowl full then different flavours for smaller batches . It was always a good seller

In essence it is simply an assembly job ;)

It depends on your plans. I cook a big turkey for four because we’ll eat it for dinner for four on Christmas Day, then second dinner for tea on Christmas Day. Then third dinner on Stephen’s day and sandwiches for tea. Then possibly turkey curry or soup or other on the 27th. Small turkey wouldn’t cut it ��

Medium size here,. for myself and six cats ;) I make a breastmeat "sandwich" to roast for me . my own recipe, and they get the rest raw. oh and I boil the bones for soup ( BEFORE the cats get near it!)

Happy cats; happy me!

I came here in the middle of the night as I have a terrible yen for Christmas pudding!

Now it is much worse and no shopping available for nearly two weeks!

I should have known better! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Plenty of herbed butter under the skin of turkey, nearly a full tub of your of your favourite butter, no salt needed but got a bit of peeper with herbs. Keep some for the top of the skin.

Rule of thumb is to always rest your turkey for half the time you cooked it and i trick i swear buy is when resting, turn the turkey, turn it upside down so all the juices inside the bird go back up towards what would be the top of the breast, never a dry turkey again.
    Last year i cooked chicken skin shards as a good crackling which i salted and scraped with a knife to thin it out. Good crunchy texture

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neven Maguire's buttermilk turkey method kept the turkey crown moist for me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Nigella is back ! With a Christmas Special !

https://twitter.com/Nigella_Lawson/status/1314462067227754497

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Game meat has arrived in my local supermarkets !
    Here in Continental Europe is quite traditional for this season.
    Last week I cooked a wild bore casserole and have some venison steaks in the fridge.
    That reminds me, I used to buy a lot of venison when I lived in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

When I was in Italy I loved the wild boar there. They would roam and eat all the nuts in the forest, unreal flavour

• Advertisement

We do venison on the day itself usually. We would do the turkey and ham either Christmas eve or St.Stephens day then.

Advertisement