Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtue Signalling as a College Course

Options
  • 27-09-2020 5:00pm

So this course would teach what is takes to become a respected, eminent, qualified Virtue Signaller.

The syllabus can include material like "personal demeanor towards uncultured commoner" or "full fawning ETIQUETTE towards one's idols"

What material could be added to this college course?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Not an R&R appropriate thread. Moved to AH

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not an R&R appropriate thread. Moved to AH

Thanks, I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

nursing?

Social work?

Sociology?

Arts?

Medicine

Philosophy

Environmental Science.

Film?

Psychology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Native American Culture & History

Seems to be the culture that people in my age group love. Has to be North American natives though; the rest are too foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

So this course would teach what is takes to become a respected, eminent, qualified Virtue Signaller.

The syllabus can include material like "personal demeanor towards uncultured commoner" or "full fawning ETIQUETTE towards one's idols"

Surely the students on this course should refuse to go to college until the elites who run Irish colleges make amends to the millions over the centuries who were, and still continue to be, denied a place in third level education due to gender, race, religion, poverty or lack of fair opportunity.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Surely the students on this course should refuse to go to college until the elites who run Irish colleges make amends to the millions over the centuries who were, and still continue to be, denied a place in third level education due to gender, race, religion, poverty or lack of fair opportunity.
    Check Mate!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Social "studies" kinda covers most of the bases for such a course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You forgot the most important subject "outrage"

Virture signalling + outrage = elevated moral superiority

That's enough to make students top experts in any chosen field...

That and calling others a 'pr!ck' or wtte

Wibbs wrote: »
    Social "studies" kinda covers most of the bases for such a course.
    The cop who killed george floyd had a degree in social studies. ..or sociology etc

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Alternatively there would have to be a "Reactionary Knuckledragger" course, how to spend your life sh*tposting anything online to do with racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism and other subjects to do with treating the planet and other people with respect and consideration and showing the world what a "proper" (overweight, broke, drunk and single) man you are.
    Basement dwellers of the world unite!

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Alternatively there would have to be a "Reactionary Knuckledragger" course, how to spend your life sh*tposting anything online to do with racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism and other subjects to do with treating the planet and other people with respect and consideration and showing the world what a "proper" (overweight, broke, drunk and single) man you are.
    Basement dwellers of the world unite!
    They sometimes take sociology though believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Be thankful if you got your degree, before most courses look something like this! :P

There's even a healthy amount of social distancing in this class... interesting. ;)

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Alternatively there would have to be a "Reactionary Knuckledragger" course, how to spend your life sh*tposting anything online to do with racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism
    and other subjects to do with treating the planet and other people with respect and consideration and showing the world what a "proper" (overweight, broke, drunk and single) man you are.Basement dwellers of the world unite!

So OP looks like you're a fully informed "racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism expert? Wow Well done you!

Though perhaps more telling that you are referring to others as "overweight, broke, drunk and single basement dwelling 'knuckledraggers" whilst demanding others treat you with respect :pac:

Tbh I think you are seriously missing the application of logic and reasoning modules there :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Detritus70

gozunda wrote: »
    So OP I take looks like you're a fully informed "racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism expert? Wow Well done you!

Though perhaps more telling that you are referring to others as "overweight, broke, drunk and single basement dwelling 'knuckledraggers" whilst demanding others treat you with respect :pac:

Tbh I think you are seriously missing the application of logic and reasoning modules there :D:D:D

Just keeping with the spirit of the forum ;)

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

So OP looks like you're a fully informed "racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism expert? Wow Well done you!

Im not sure he is seeking your validation.

And erm ..im not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There are a few knocking around here that are practically doctorates of the above sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Excellent idea. Perhaps Boyd Barrett and Ivana Bacick could run it

Im not sure he is seeking your validation.

And erm ..im not! :D

I wasn't giving it either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Virtue me-whats-it? One sec, gotta Google.

.. .. ..

Ok, so if someone like changes their avatar on Facebooks or Twitters to something that indicates some sorta cause, but then actually does nothing else about same cause (not donating, volunteering, protesting, etc), then that's virtue signalling? Am I right? Half right? 20% right? Wrong AF?

I wasn't giving it either :D
    VALIDATE MY PARKING! :mad:

• Advertisement

*smack

Wait, your head got in the way of the ticket, let me try again.

*smack

Dammit I'm so clumsy, gimme another try!

*smack

Yes boss. Right away boss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

You forgot the most important subject "outrage"

Virture signalling + outrage = elevated moral superiority

That's enough to make students top experts in any chosen field...

That and calling others a 'pr!ck' or wtte

Virture signalling + outrage = elevated moral superiority.
    Particularly the last one. When you've got moral superiority you're half way there.

jaxxx wrote: »
    *smack

Wait, your head got in the way of the ticket, let me try again.

*smack

Dammit I'm so clumsy, gimme another try!

*smack

why can't you be more like gozunda!
    Yes boss. Right away boss pacman.gif

why can't you be more like gozunda!

Cos I only bend over in the bedroom :D

(did I really just say that?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is this something that people need to study though? What is there to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Virtue me-whats-it? One sec, gotta Google.

.. .. ..

Ok, so if someone like changes their avatar on Facebooks or Twitters to something that indicates some sorta cause, but then actually does nothing else about same cause (not donating, volunteering, protesting, etc), then that's virtue signalling? Am I right? Half right? 20% right? Wrong AF?

I wouldn't even bother trying to understand it. It's some bull**** catchphrase imported from the "Culture Wars" in America and something the vast majority of the population don't give a **** about.

You did.

AND WE ALL HEARD IT!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Virtue Signalling and political correctness are a tumour.

Any meaningful debate can be stifled very easily through either of these

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You know what they say about people who take it up the jaxxxy in the bedroom?

Nothing... absolutely nothing! It's socially unacceptable to make any jokes about such matters.

Good day to you, sir! :D

Advertisement