Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in East Road, East Wall

Options
  • 25-09-2020 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I am getting a 2 bed mid terrace house in Caledon Court, East Road, East Wall and it's around 310k. I wanted to know if it is safe to buy the house? My plan is to live there for few years and then give the house to a family on rent as I will be moving to my home country. I am mainly concerned with safety as I found the place dark and not well maintained when i went to visit and also its looked like a industrial zone, may be that particular road was like that but I do want to know about the safety aspect of walking alone at night or my wife late commute by bus. I am looking in EW due to my restricted budget and my need to rent in future otherwise I would have bought a bit far from city to be more safer. We are from India.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

I thought the court had it's own gates?

East wall is a mixed bag area. Locals are tough and there are still a lot of industrial areas. That's a very busy road in the mornings and you have loads of traffic when there are events in Croke Park.

I don't know your personal circumstance, but if you were planning to have kids. I don't think I'd live there.

But price reflects all these issues....

I should add though... it would be very easy place to rent out. Desirable for a lot of young professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

Yes it has it's own gate and the house is good but my concern starts when we move out of the society and yes we are planning to extend our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dutch.irish

Yes it has it's own gate and the house is good but my concern starts when we move out of the society and yes we are planning to extend our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lived close by and worked in East Wall. I would not advise anybody to buy there unless a local. Very rough. Some very nice people there but it doesn't make up for the bad.

One of the people I worked with was nearly hit by a car speeding through a junction. He gestured at the other car and the Gardai pulled him over. They warned him that he didn't know who was driving and they could easily have attacked him. Told him to be very careful what he does driving around the area.

The fact it is gated doesn't matter as you still have to go through the area and go to the local shops. From work we watched fights pretty regularly (once a week at least). A long time before the area is gentrified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Then the schools would be a serious issue. I wouldn't send my child to the local primary in East Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Used to be a fairly nice area thirty years ago but not a nice place now.

I taught some children from there in a city centre secondary school and most families were very respectable.

Wouldn't like to raise a family there now. Got to know one famiy very well and was back for a funeral last year and couldn't believe the change in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mherlihy

I'm really disappointed to read some of these responses. I've lived in East Wall for almost 5 years now. I bought a terraced house, so not behind a private gated area. I'm a female in my mid 30s, living alone. I've never seen any trouble and at no point have I felt unsafe walking alone at night. I have wonderful neighbours and there is a real sense of community here that was lacking in the areas I rented in previously ie Sandymount and Ranelagh. I've not seen any of these "tough" characters referenced by the other posters.

I agree it would be great if the area was better maintained and had more trees. Your main question though was around safety and certainly I've always felt safe here. There is a lot of snobbery in Dublin against certain areas. I'm from down the country so I don't buy into all that. I make up my own mind based on what I see and observe for myself as opposed to which areas people with notions view as respectable or otherwise. Furthermore I think a house in East Wall will always be a good investment because its such a convenient location. The value of my house has gone up substantially since I bought here, its the best decision I ever made. Best of luck whatever you decide to do :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most of the stories above could be said for nearly every area in Dublin. They all have their good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Call Me Ishmael

I have lived in East Wall for 14 years and feel compelled to give a balanced account of the area.

I am shocked at how inaccurate some of the comments can be about where I live. I can honestly say that I have never felt unsafe or threatened at any time since I bought a house here.

First, I have a wife and two kids and am a professional working in the city centre. Our proximity to the city means the dreary and drab commute does not exist in my life and I love that. It makes me feel good.

The shops like Lidl and Aldi and all the convenience stores make living here easy. I walk up the CLontarf promenade every weekend and it is fabulous - this is one of the key perks of living in East Wall where you can buy a reasonably priced property and still get the benefits of living beside the sea.

The area is exciting as the north docks explodes with development and Facebook have moved thousands of staff into East Wall - likely to return post lockdown. As a countryman, I am amazed about the deep rooted prejudice many Dubliners have towards areas like East Wall. I bought here because I knew it made sense and the equity built up in my gaff reinforces that view. I have no plans to leave and cannot recommend the place highly enough.

• Advertisement

I am raising a family here now and we love it here. The network we have built up with other families in the area is excellent. We attend the East Wall creche which is over subscribed and share baby sitting duties with our mates...the play dates help the kids pass the time with each other too. People come from all over the world and Ireland to live here. I know cos they are my family friends!

always easy to sell here - friends of ours sold recently- there were queues of people and they made serious wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

wildwillow wrote: »
    Used to be a fairly nice area thirty years ago but not a nice place now.

I taught some children from there in a city centre secondary school and most families were very respectable.

Wouldn't like to raise a family there now. Got to know one famiy very well and was back for a funeral last year and couldn't believe the change in the area.

This is a hilarious comment. 30 years ago East Wall was a working class area full of dock workers, social housing zero amenities, and was classed as a VERY rough area. Young lads in stolen cars was a nightly event and drugs were everywhere. It was also full of lovely genuine people with a great sense of community who came together to march against the drug dealers living in the area and force them to move elsewhere.

Now it still has a reduced element of those working class roots and is becoming more and more gentrified every year. It's is multicultural and has bulildings occupied by some of the biggest companies in the world between the East Point Business Park and the North Wall Quays/IFSC.

I lived there from birth to 25 and I still own a home there that is rented out. The biggest issues any of my tenants have had in 15 years is one stolen bike, some eggs thrown at a window and some kids sitting on the wall outside shooting swear words.

What could you possibly see in the few minutes that you attended a funeral that made you think East Wall is worse now than it was 30 years ago? The bars/gates on the church? Mind boggling.

I agree with Whelo - trying to appraise an area whilst attending a funeral may not be an optimal strategy:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'm pretty sure we had a massive thread in thr Dublin City forum with this back and forth going on years.

Objectively it's close to town so that's a great bonus and close to fairview Park and the sea.

What would put me off the area is the still heavy industrial use of the area, lots of trucks nearby.

In terms of pricing you'll do well to get that elsewhere so close to town, for example ringsend would have been broadly similar to east wall up until recently but prices there have gone mad due to Google etc.

East wall is a very mixed bag. Yes, there's genuinely lovely people living there and a sense of community but the users claiming they have never seen any issues or encountered genuine scumbags that live there, you must not go outside much.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    This is a hilarious comment. 30 years ago East Wall was a working class area full of dock workers, social housing zero amenities, and was classed as a VERY rough area. Young lads in stolen cars was a nightly event and drugs were everywhere. It was also full of lovely genuine people with a great sense of community who came together to march against the drug dealers living in the area and force them to move elsewhere.

Now it still has a reduced element of those working class roots and is becoming more and more gentrified every year. It's is multicultural and has bulildings occupied by some of the biggest companies in the world between the East Point Business Park and the North Wall Quays/IFSC.

I lived there from birth to 25 and I still own a home there that is rented out. The biggest issues any of my tenants have had in 15 years is one stolen bike, some eggs thrown at a window and some kids sitting on the wall outside shooting swear words.

What could you possibly see in the few minutes that you attended a funeral that made you think East Wall is worse now than it was 30 years ago? The bars/gates on the church? Mind boggling.

Moved the drug dealers? Too where? Seville place isn't that far away!

Stolen cars are still an issue, drugs is an issue.

Wasn't the local community Garda hospitalised by a game of teenagers not that long ago?

• Advertisement

Moved the drug dealers? Too where? Seville place isn't that far away!

Stolen cars are still an issue, drugs is an issue.

Wasn't the local community Garda hospitalised by a game of teenagers not that long ago?

Seville Place is not nor never was East Wall.

Stolen cars used to be at least a bi-nightly activity and drugs are everywhere these days. Drug dealing and drug related anti social behaviour was far more significant 30 years ago.

That's true, about 2 years back. I don't know the details or the severity.

My point stands, East Wall is immeasurably better now, in every way imaginable, than it was 30 years ago, which is the opposite of what the poster I was quoting claimed.

OP, here is a long time ongoing thread relating to East Wall with people asking similar questions as you over the last 16 years.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/205297/1/#post2125319

You will find many of the negative comments come from people who do not and have never lived in the area.

Seville Place is not nor never was East Wall.

Stolen cars used to be at least a bi-nightly activity and drugs are everywhere these days. Drug dealing and drug related anti social behaviour was far more significant 30 years ago.

That's true, about 2 years back. I don't know the details or the severity.

My point stands, East Wall is immeasurably better now, in every way imaginable, than it was 30 years ago, which is the opposite of what the poster I was quoting claimed.

Seville place is connected to sheriff street upper. I don't think you can really declare east wall drug dealer free now when it's a walk over a bridge.

It may be better than 30 years ago, that doesn't make it good. I'm sorry but on the issue of drugs, crime, criminals and anti social behavior, it does not do well and I absolutely appreciate that most east wallers are decent people. Not saying different but that doesn't change the issues it has or indeed the proximately to some real ****holes.

The op wants to have a family. A stones throw from sheriff street, mary's mansions, James Larkin and dunne street flats is not the best place to do so in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭dubrov

Seville Place is a good bit away from East wall and is a lot rougher.

I'd say East wall is a middling area and would have no issue living there.
    It is a lot better than 15 years ago today.

Schools would be a problem but there are a few decent ones in Marino nearby if you can get it,

I always thought it was an underpriced area in Dublin ready to take off.

dubrov wrote: »
    Seville Place is a good bit away from East wall and is a lot rougher.

I'd say East wall is a middling area and would have no issue living there.
    It is a lot better than 15 years ago today.

Schools would be a problem but there are a few decent ones in Marino nearby if you can get it,

I always thought it was an underpriced area in Dublin ready to take off.

It's 900 metres from seville place to east road. It's 1.2 km to caledan road junction with shelmalier road to seville place which google maps considered the center of east wall.

It's 1.1km from the same 'center' to James Larkin flats. An absolute kip.

Cop yourselves on will ya, my local supermarket is further!

It's 900 metres from seville place to east road. It's 1.2 km to caledan road junction with shelmalier road to seville place which google maps considered the center of east wall.

It's 1.1km from the same 'center' to James Larkin flats. An absolute kip.

Cop yourselves on will ya, my local supermarket is further!

So by your logic Killiney is a **** hole because it's right beside Shankhill. Clontarf must be a proper dump, it's wedged between East Wall, Donnycarney, Kilbarrack and Edenmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Also OP is Indian. I can imagine having worked there for over a decade how that would
    go down <Mod Snip> Sure the price may be ok and its central to every wrong part of town for drugs, crime and poverty, and is ringed by ex council and rent allowance single families, and inner city inter generational council tenants. . We had 24/7 security on our carpark - for good reason and business breakins galore. Is the extortion racket still going on to not have your car damaged ? And check the local policing records for crime up Sherrif St and Amiens St - literally around the corner - nobody in their right mind walks up there -ecen during daylight - the blocked
    off the dart entrance there in the early 90’s because there were so many stabbings and needle attacks at the gate. It is a totally unsafe and ****hole area - especially for women and especially at night. Maybe its something to do with the junkies and methadone ‘centre’ around the corner - with junkies grabbing phones from peoples hands as they walk along to help get their fix and even the cars in the local fire brigade station being ‘done’ - and that takes some level of skobieism.

Sure people will talk about ‘gentrification’ if you have a half million extra on top of the
    discount 310k you have already spent to spend in your two bed draught riddled cottage, but so long as you don’t need to go outside your house, park your car, send your children to school or ever admit where you live it’ll be just fine.

Otherwise seriously think about it. There are nice houses in nice places for similar money and you wont be living in misery or fear all your life. There is a reason it is full of ten to a bed impoverished and illegal workers , move on migrants who quickly find out and move to better, and institutionalised Irish whose only ambition is their free rent and next dole packet.

IMO and from my decade
    of experience around the area, Don’t do it.

So by your logic Killiney is a **** hole because it's right beside Shankhill. Clontarf must be a proper dump, it's wedged between East Wall, Donnycarney, Kilbarrack and Edenmore.

Well for one, clontarf is not bordered by either killbarrick or edenmore. It's bordered by raheny which includes Edenmore but st anne's separates it from Edenmore. No, that's not my logic. That's your logic and you include east wall in the dumps by the way,I didn't say that. I said it had issues and those issues haven't vanished into this air because of a different post code. I was specifically addressing the claim that drug dealers were pushed out when drugs are still very common in the area.

If you want to use my view, clontarf doesn't get to simple deny the existence of killester or conquer hill because they don't suit the narrative. Raheny doesn't get to deny the existence of Edenmore or killbarrick.

Having a very bad area 900 metres from your front door is not 'a fair bit away' and having one of the worst areas in the country 1km away when you intend to raise a family, yes that is a factor. Sorry if that doesn't improve the value of the house but the op needs to know the areas surrounding him. There's no invisible wall separating them or keeping the undesirables away. Perhaps read my original comment again if you want my actual option on east wall.

I wouldn't touch the ifsc for the same reason. The apartments might be great and expensive but your still overlooking Mariners port and they are still stealing your car.

How's this;

"as officers attempt to tackle serious anti-social behaviour issues in the locality.

East Wall had been considered a lovely area but there is no doubt that there are a few families there that are causing big problems,” a source said.

The area is deteriorating as gardai in the district are focused on murder investigations and protection posts linked to the feud.

“It simply isn’t being policed due to garda resources and as a result anti-social behaviour like this is now rampant.

“There are a particular group of young lads have been causing problems in the area and causing havoc,” the source added.

(https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/garda-suffers-severe-facial-injuries-after-savage-teen-assault-37382547.html)

I'm not the source. That's a local I would say but as it's anonymous, it could be made up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Neither Kilbarrack nor Edenmore nir Donaghmede are part of Raheny. Different post codes, different school catchment areas, totallydifferent places - despite how estate agents try to boost their sales by lying about their addresses.

<Mod Snip>

I would run a mile and keep running. After a decade
    I wouldn’t even rent there M-F to save a 2 hour commute - money wouldn’t pay me to live in that environment.

Mod Note
    Your posts are borderline acceptable based on the tone and language used. You have received a warning already for your previous post. This one would have received the same only for they were both in the early hours and non mod interaction in between.

This is your final warning. And more wording along the lines of “knacker Irish Locals” which is borderline racism and “Scumbag Council Houses” and a ban will issue without further warning.

“Knocker Irish Locals” is not something that will be tolerated in this forum.
    By all means give your personal experience of an area but leave out the abusive sweeping generalizations. Particularity if you have never been in the area or lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭dubrov

Also OP is Indian. I can imagine having worked there for over a decade how that would go down with the indigenous knacker Irish locals. Sure the price may be ok and its central to every wrong part of town for drugs, crime and poverty, and is ringed by ex council and rent allowance single families, and inner city inter generational council tenants. . We had 24/7 security on our carpark - for good reason and business breakins galore. Is the extortion racket still going on to not have your car damaged ? And check the local policing records for crime up Sherrif St and Amiens St - literally around the corner - nobody in their right mind walks up there -ecen during daylight - the blocked off the dart entrance there in the early 90’s because there were so many stabbings and needle attacks at the gate. It is a totally unsafe and ****hole area - especially for women and especially at night. Maybe its something to do with the junkies and methadone ‘centre’ around the corner - with junkies grabbing phones from peoples hands as they walk along to help get their fix and even the cars in the local fire brigade station being ‘done’ - and that takes some level of skobieism.

You clearly haven't been in East wall for a long time. The above is way over the top and in no way reflects the area. I don't know why people make things up.

Advertisement