Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Out Of Dublin

Options

Comments

inthenip wrote: »
    Good thing about rural towns and villages is that if there is 100 people in the pub, you will know all of them by name.

You don't get that in Dublin.

Having grown up in a small rural town, I have to say that's what I love about Dublin.
    I can walk into a pub, in normal times! & not know one single person in there. More importantly, they don't know me.
    It's great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Good thing about rural towns and villages is that if there is 100 people in the pub, you will know all of them by name. You don't get that in Dublin.

Many suburban pubs in Dublin are similar to that. You might not know everyone in the place but the same people generally go at the same time for years on end, especially older people.
    I know all the 20-ish neighbouring families on my quiet cul-de-sac in Dublin city centre, at least in passing.

When we were renting and both of us working, we knew 1-2 neighbours on the street but never more than that. Now that we've been living in the same house for several years and our kids are our playing with other kids, we know quite a few people living on our street. It's not a rural-only thing like others have suggested.
    Also, this same topic will continue to be debated in circles eternally to no productive outcome - some people prefer city living, some people prefer country living, some people appreciate the benefits of both, and some very sheltered people cannot imagine a mode of living distinct from the one they currently inhabit. SUch is life, I don't think either rural or urban dwellers would be well-served by a unanimous opinion on this

+1

OP, rent in Donegal for a year and see how you get on. You might love it or hate it but you won't know until you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

I've heard of more people moving out of Dublin and moving back when better off financially than living in Dublin and moving out. People saying it's a kip just come across as bitter not being able to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Good thing about rural towns and villages is that if there is 100 people in the pub, you will know all of them by name.

You don't get that in Dublin.

Sounds like hell. Wouldn't like that at all. What if you dislike a person or a group? What if somebody takes a dislike to you?

Not singling out Doengal but the Gardai there did persecute a family and locals were part of that. So there is an obvious downside to everybody being known

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Dublin is a very nice place to live, with great facilities for singles and families, with great access to employment opportunities, but it's very expensive as a result. So unless your a high income household your standard of living in Dublin, the area and house you can afford is going to be limited.

If your a low or even medium income household with kids, then it's very different and you would need to look at the sourounding counties to have a similar level of lifestyle, with possibly a long commute.

For me personally we loved living here ,as we both have good careers and own a house in a very nice area in the city very good local community and would chat away to a number of the neighbors . Things changed with kids and having no family nearby, a number of our friends with kids have left (due to the cost/lack of family support) and we would like more space, which we could afford but would require us have a mortgage for longer than we would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I love the way people say Dublin is a kip. I grew up in a small Irish town, and have visited many other small towns, is a boarded up small town full with 5-10 charity shops on the main street appealing to other people?
    Somebody raised the point about 100 people in a pub knowing your own name - I HATE that when I go home. Going in to the pub and everybody looking when the door opens, etc. Give me the anonymity any day.
    Or people judging you based on your house/job/car/children/involvement in GAA/going to mass/whatever. I honestly love walking out the door and nobody knowing nor caring about my business.
    Different strokes, different folks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I grew up in a large town OP, lived in Dublin for almost a decade, then moved to a small town. Anyone trying to tell you that town life (big or small) is like living in Dublin but just with a bit less choice is filling your head full of shite. I am not saying it is worse, I am saying it is a very different lifestyle. There is a lot less to do. The infrastructure around you is chalk and cheese, it just doesn't compare.

You may love it, you may hate it, different strokes for different folks, but IMO you'd be mad to jump into it head first on the back of a weekend with your mates. If renting for a while is possible I would do that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Don’t forget the weather in a decision like this.

It’s all well and good saying the west of Ireland is beautiful during the summer and much of the autumn.

But the winter is long and indoor entertainment options are a benefit in the bad weather. Play areas for kids, choices of restaurants, cinemas, theaters etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

North County Dublin OP:D County. Not city.
    I wouldn't live round the Southside if you paid me!! Way too expensive, desperate traffic, overcrowded, you pay a premium on everything - childcare, rent, mortgage, schools, everything. There is way more to Dublin than the county south of the Liffey, just nobody bothers looking.

Happy out here with several amazing beaches within a stone's throw, the city 30 minutes away, plenty of space, a good-sized town - and others within easy reach....it's pricier than Donegal, but nothing near what the Southside will cost you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

It is mad how different the climate can be in this little country. Even in Longford I think the weather is much worse than Dublin, and summers in the south of Cork can often feel like the Mediterranean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

KilOit wrote: »
    I've heard of more people moving out of Dublin and moving back when better off financially than living in Dublin and moving out. People saying it's a kip just come across as bitter not being able to live here.

Compare Kilkenny to Dublin and it's 10 times better to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    I grew up in a large town OP, lived in Dublin for almost a decade, then moved to a small town. Anyone trying to tell you that town life (big or small) is like living in Dublin but just with a bit less choice is filling your head full of shite. I am not saying it is worse, I am saying it is a very different lifestyle. There is a lot less to do. The infrastructure around you is chalk and cheese, it just doesn't compare.

You may love it, you may hate it, different strokes for different folks, but IMO you'd be mad to jump into it head first on the back of a weekend with your mates. If renting for a while is possible I would do that first.

There wasn't a poster in here said it was like Dublin. They did however say that medium sized towns do have amenities . Something you shot down as kidding themselves.

Medium sized towns all over the country have amenities. The one close to me has an IMAX ffs. There's life outside Dublin. There's life inside Dublin. It's up to the individual what they want .

There are positives and negatives to both. If you want to move outside Dublin you can definitely have restaurants. Cinema, pubs, theater , schools , child care and whatever else. Saying someone is kidding themselves is well..... Silly.

Donegal is beautiful, we went there every year as kids on holidays. My sister and husband have lived there all their married lives and will probably never leave now, but they are quite cut off from things. They live 20km outside Letterkenny. Letterkenny itself is buzzing , at least it was before Covid.

Be prepared for far worse weather than the East coast - and that's no exaggeration. It is colder and wetter. My sister's other half is American and suffers from SAD every Winter as he finds the grey dullness terribly depressing. Their kids are grown up and gone and none of them stayed in Donegal, they fled to Dublin and abroad. Unless you live in Letterkenny or maybe Donegal town you will be in quite a lot of remoteness. Its breath takingly beautiful but its quiet. The other huge issue is broadband. My sister has tried every single broadband provider and her internet is pure crap, calls constantly dropping or freezing, pages taking minutes to load etc.

My kids are also grown and I sometime think of moving up there for the peace and beauty but the two biggest deterrents for me are the weather (I hate the cold) and lack of connectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Compare Kilkenny to Dublin and it's 10 times better to live in.

One is small town that has over supply of pubs and nice castle that does well in summer, other is a large city with huge range of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

NSAman wrote: »
    Do I know who lives next door to me in Dublin...errr.. nope... did I know who lived beside me in the city here? Errrr. Nope!

How did that happen? How do you not know your neighbours? I'm just interested as to how people live in Dublin but don't get to know their neighbours or inexplicably don't know who lived beside them? I've lived all over Dublin and never ever didn't know my neighbours.

One is small town that has over supply of pubs and nice castle that does well in summer, other is a large city with huge range of everything.

By everything do you mean traffic jams, noise, crime, drugs, murders, queues, stress, higher prices....

Just because you see it one way that you like doesn’t mean somebody else sees the exact opposite.

I lived in Dublin for a while, lived in Manhattan for a while as well. Loved every minute of it. Delighted to leave them both when the time came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

listermint wrote: »

Medium sized towns all over the country have amenities. The one close to me has an IMAX ffs. There's life outside Dublin. There's life inside Dublin. It's up to the individual what they want .

The only IMAX branded screen in Ireland is in Dublin, and even that is not genuine IMAX. If you like cinemas Dublin is definitely the place to be.

By everything do you mean traffic jams, noise, crime, drugs, murders, queues, stress, higher prices....

Just because you see it one way that you like doesn’t mean somebody else sees the exact opposite.

I lived in Dublin for a while, lived in Manhattan for a while as well. Loved every minute of it. Delighted to leave them both when the time came.

Small towns don't have everything that large cities have. Just because you experienced cities one way doesn’t mean somebody else experienced them differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

moved to donegal in 1997 from the UK , never regretted it once, the only issue i have is the fibre broadband stopped a couple of hundred yards form the house (shame i dint think of that in 1997 !)

but getting up on a morning and looking across Donegal bay to letrim glens and benbulben, hard to beat

im 2 miles from donegal town and its quiet - but that doesnt bother me

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Small towns don't have everything that large cities have. Just because you experienced cities one way doesn’t mean somebody else experienced them differently.

And thats the point I made, cities don’t have everything like peace, quiet, safety... etc etc,
    You can reverse it all you want but it’s the same point.
    It’s about what suits the individual at certain times in their life, and for your own happiness it important to recognize that At times you need a change of venue.

A mid twenties person who likes to socialize isn’t going to be happy in a one horse town but a mid twenties mother of two isn’t going to be happy with a 60 minute commute to primary school.

Different strokes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

What is the huge range of everything?

And thats the point I made, cities don’t have everything like peace, quiet, safety... etc etc,
    You can reverse it all you want but it’s the same point.
    It’s about what suits the individual at certain times in their life, and for your own happiness it important to recognize that At times you need a change of venue.

A mid twenties person who likes to socialize isn’t going to be happy in a one horse town but a mid twenties mother of two isn’t going to be happy with a 60 minute commute to primary school.

Different strokes...

I don't know anyone that has a 60 minute commute to primary school in any Irish city. And to be honest I doubt you do either, in fact walking to school is most popular in cities because of proximity to schools resulting in healthier kids.

I don't know anyone that has a 60 minute commute to primary school in any Irish city. And to be honest I doubt you do either, in fact walking to school is most popular in cities because of proximity to schools resulting in healthier kids.

That went over your head spectacularly.

That went over your head spectacularly.

It seems to have!! I still don't know what you mean with the 60 minute commute to primary school, who does that?

It seems to have!! I still don't know what you mean with the 60 minute commute to primary school, who does that?

It’s an example.
    Just an example.

I’m aware that there is no such thing as a town built around an individual horse either.

It’s an example.
    Just an example.

I still don't know what you're on about. An example of what what? Urban living, rural living, suburban living? What point are you trying to make?

I still don't know what you're on about. An example of what what? Urban living, rural living, suburban living? What point are you trying to make?

Read the post again if yoo I didn’t understand it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

had a friend move from Dublin to a rural back water , Mayo rather than Donegal .
    Loved every minute of it up until his kids got to a certain age and quality of schools , and extra curricular activities like , Swimming , dancing acting , Band ,sports other than GAA , knowing their cousins etc got in the way and he moved back.

Never regretted the move in either direction but happy to be back.

Read the post again if yoo I didn’t understand it the first time.

Is it an example of nothing really? Like saying some people don't like living beside unicorns and some are ok with it.

• Advertisement

Is it an example of nothing really? Like saying some people don't like living beside unicorns and some are ok with it.

I wouldn’t like living beside a unicorn.

Advertisement