Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda traffic on Twitter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Been stopped on the Curragh 3 times in the last couple of weeks at night when parked up. Each time they check my licence and reg and spend a few mins on the computer in the 4x4. They will know me on sight soon lol.
    We are only out doing our 10km walk and then having a chat and Fennel tea. Albeit quite late at night. They never breathalyze me but maybe the smell of fennel and liquorice emanating from the car puts them off. Nice to know it's well patrolled.
    They weren't stopping too many in the Curragh a few months back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

the drugs detected is off the charts. how long would cocaine show up on a test?

are these lads intoxicated at the time , or are these lads having their pints an lines on a friday night and getting done on the monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The effects of Cocaine only last 30 - 60 mins but it can be picked up in your blood stream for days afterwards.

The effects of Cocaine only last 30 - 60 mins but it can be picked up in your blood stream for days afterwards.

on the oral test would it be a few days?.

or are they all out of it driving around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

akelly02 wrote: »
    on the oral test would it be a few days?.

or are they all out of it driving around the place

Simple answer is I don't know :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

the drugs detected is off the charts. how long would cocaine show up on a test?

are these lads intoxicated at the time , or are these lads having their pints an lines on a friday night and getting done on the monday?

The roadside oral swabs are as good as drawing a random result from a hat. I missed a flight thanks to one of those test. Failed for Cannabis and then bloods came back clean. The devices the Gardai use are no longer used in Canada due to their unreliability.

Gardai should have to carry out an impairment roadside test as the legislation is for driving under the influence but there is no onus on the state to prove you are actually impaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Akesh wrote: »
    The roadside oral swabs are as good as drawing a random result from a hat. I missed a flight thanks to one of those test. Failed for Cannabis and then bloods came back clean. The devices the Gardai use are no longer used in Canada due to their unreliability.

Gardai should have to carry out an impairment roadside test as the legislation is for driving under the influence but there is no onus on the state to prove you are actually impaired.
    Similarly with drink driving ,the onus should be on the prosecution to prove actual impairment .
    Since Ross introduced the most recent restrictions , a good few people seem to have been caught the morning after when they couldn’t possibly be impaired.
    Very inconsistent results abound.

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Similarly with drink driving ,the onus should be on the prosecution to prove actual impairment .
    Since Ross introduced the most recent restrictions , a good few people seem to have been caught the morning after when they couldn’t possibly be impaired.

Of course they could be impaired. I’ve woken up on mornings in absolutely no shape to drive.

h3000 wrote: »
    Of course they could be impaired. I’ve woken up on mornings in absolutely no shape to drive.

But have you ever smoked a j or had a line of a friday and be impaired on the Monday when you are stabbed??

Of course they COULD have been impaired but they weren’t .
    In some cases , even the tests are contradictory

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

What kind of angle was this taken from? Looks like it has almost been from the side.

Fair play to the guards though. 220kmh, one mistake and you're done.

Of course they COULD have been impaired but they weren’t .
    In some cases , even the tests are contradictory

They could have been impaired though. The offence is
    (2) A person shall not drive or attempt to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while there is present in his or her body a quantity of alcohol such that, within 3 hours after so driving or attempting to drive, the concentration of alcohol in his or her blood will exceed a concentration of—

(a) 50 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, or

(b) in case the person is a specified person, 20 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.

(3) A person shall not drive or attempt to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while there is present in his or her body a quantity of alcohol such that, within 3 hours after so driving or attempting to drive, the concentration of alcohol in his or her urine will exceed a concentration of—

(a) 67 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine, or

(b) in case the person is a specified person, 27 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine.

(4) A person shall not drive or attempt to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place while there is present in his or her body a quantity of alcohol such that, within 3 hours after so driving or attempting to drive, the concentration of alcohol in his or her breath will exceed a concentration of—

(a) 22 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, or

(b) in case the person is a specified person, 9 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.

If you need to drive the next morning make sure you leave enough time for your body to process the alcohol. It may not be convenient when your having a good night out but it really isn’t a big ask.

But have you ever smoked a j or had a line of a friday and be impaired on the Monday when you are stabbed??

I can’t answer this question too well as I haven’t smoked in years and have never done anything else. I have wondered though for how long is cannabis detectable in your system by the Garda tests and is there a limit to when they do and don’t prosecute.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

They could have been impaired though. The offence is

If you need to drive the next morning make sure you leave enough time for your body to process the alcohol. It may not be convenient when your having a good night out but it really isn’t a big ask.
    Seeing as you wish to quote the law :
    If a sample provided by a motorist did not exceed the limit specified in one sub section but a subsequent sample exceeded that outlined in another subsection ,is that motorist impaired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If a sample provided by a motorist did not exceed the limit specified in one sub section but a subsequent sample exceeded that outlined in another subsection ,is that motorist impaired ?

Subsequent samples...what are you on about?

You only provide one sample

Either blood, breath or urine for alcohol or blood for drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Akesh wrote: »

the roadside tests are only indicative. they are not sufficiently accurate to be evidential. it is the same with the roadside alcohol tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

I didn't believe they took multiple different types of evidential samples but if they do and you are over the limit in one then you are over the limit. I'm sure that is one you could fight fairly well in court though.

Again though it's simple enough. If you need to drive leave enough time for your body to process the alcohol. The limits are quite clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Please don't tell me people want to introduce that hill Billy method of walking on lines and touching your nose on the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

neris wrote: »

It really is the stupid ones who get caught.................

I didn't believe they took multiple different types of evidential samples but if they do and you are over the limit in one then you are over the limit. I'm sure that is one you could fight fairly well in court though.

Again though it's simple enough. If you need to drive leave enough time for your body to process the alcohol. The limits are quite clear.
    My point is the limits are far from clear .
    Leaving enough time for your body to process the alcohol is the narrative from the RSA , AGS etc but that narrative should be questioned.
    I am not talking about drinking a barrel of it and driving immediately .
    I’m referring to having a few pints the evening / night before and being unlucky enough to be stopped early the following morning . The average Joe / Josephine cannot tell if they under or over the limit if multiple tests have to be pursued to determine legal impairment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My point is the limits are far from clear .
    Leaving enough time for your body to process the alcohol is the narrative from the RSA , AGS etc but that narrative should be questioned.
    I am not talking about drinking a barrel of it and driving immediately .
    I’m referring to having a few pints the evening / night before and being unlucky enough to be stopped early the following morning . The average Joe / Josephine cannot tell if they under or over the limit if multiple tests have to be pursued to determine legal impairment .

there are two tests administered. the roadside test is simply to determine if you may be over the limit or close to it. it is not used in court. when you are taken to the station you take EITHER a blood, urine or breath test. multiple tests are not required for a conviction.

Advertisement