Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered an album and received 20 (!)..

Options
  • 05-09-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered a vinyl which typically retails for about €50 from a relatively well-known media website in the US for about €20.

On Friday, there was a knock at the door and was handed a big heavy box. Was unsure what it was and was in middle of a meeting so hurried back up to my office and said I'd look at it after.

Turns out they sent me 20 copies of said album.. 5 boxes inside the large box with 4 in each.

Sent an email to the company and got a copy-and-paste type reply indicating if I'm not happy with the defective item that I should return it to their address in the US at the cheapest rate possible and to retain postage receipt for refund.

I'm dubious in returning it on my own dime as it'll be expensive, it's their mistake and I've read some negative reviews regarding them failing to fully refund shipping on returns. So I've asked them for a prepaid shipping label.

Any thoughts on what else I can do? I did the right thing in reaching out and would like to get the goods back to them but I'm not going to be out of pocket for it either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

A mass produced album will cost at most a euro to actually make a physical copy, the rest goes on advertising, cocaine , making the artist rich, making the record men rich and all sorts.

So them 20 records are worth about 20 dollars to the record company. If you arnt charged for them you can be dishonest and try sell them on adverts or be honest and destroy them.

A mass produced album will cost at most a euro to actually make a physical copy, the rest goes on advertising, cocaine , making the artist rich, making the record men rich and all sorts.

So them 20 records are worth about 20 dollars to the record company. If you arnt charged for them you can be dishonest and try sell them on adverts or be honest and destroy them.

:rolleyes:

What a load of rubbish.

OP, If you've ordered and paid for 1 album, take one out of the pack and make the other 19 available for them to arrange collection via courier during office hours, from an address you specify. Tell them they can arrange the pickup within 3 business days, or they go to recycling. If they want them back, they can pay UPS/DHL/Fedex to pick them up themselves. If they don't act within a reasonable timeframe (and 3 days is perfectly reasonable), snap them in half and send them out with the recycling.

Don't feel obligated to go to any more trouble than that. Keep copies of emails or screenshots of livechats etc in case they try to charge your card. You'll need it to support a chargeback request if they hit your card for 19 more albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Whats the album? Might take one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Vinyl costs quite a bit more than a euro a copy to produce currently, due to less plants producing it, and increased demand beyond their normal capacity.

Even more so for the 180g virgin vinyl that is the norm now.

As for the OP - I'd send them another mail reiterating that you were sent too many. You have then satisfied the requirements of the unsolicited goods legislation; albeit that is written for buy-or-return goods admittedly. Its their cost to return them.

For a fifty quid album, if they fail to reply in a few weeks - off to your local second hand record store!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

3 days isn't a reasonable timeframe. 6 months is more reasonable believe it or not.
    Op should retain goods for 6 months and give the sender notice at least 30 days before the end of the 6 months that the goods are available for collection. After that, the op owns the property and can sell it or dispose of it.
    Storage costs and disposal costs are a matter for courts to decide if it came to that.

I'm going by inertia selling guidelines where a bill is presented but i think it's much more reasonable than destroying property in 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

antix80 wrote: »
    3 days isn't a reasonable timeframe. 6 months is more reasonable believe it or not. Storage costs etc are a matter for courts to decide if it came to that.
    Op should retain goods for 6 months and give the sender notice at least 30 days before the end of the 6 months that the goods are available for collection. After that, the op owns the property and can sell it or dispose of it.

I'm going by inertia selling guidelines where a bill is presented but i think it's much more reasonable than destroying property in 3 days.

The Irish regulations, not guidelines, for inertia selling are 6 months if you don't contact them; but only 30 days after contacting them (within the first 30 days).

These don't apply here but are realistic to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I ordered a magnetic knife rack and received a women's sweater.
    Royal mail stuck the wrong gls labels on my package and another person's.
    I emailed the sender (not my sender, the other one) asking did they want to arrange collection. They told me to keep it. there ya go, no property destroyed and it'll probably go to SVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t be lifting a fûcking finger for them after that reply.

They screwed up, so THEY need to action to get the records which they sent in error back to themselves. Absolute cheeky cûnts.

The very most I’m doing is opening the door to a courier and handing them the box. I’m also considering charging them a handling fee and storage fees.

In all likelihood you’ll keep them. Firstly, they won’t have anybody this side of the atlantic to complete the shipping documents for them, such as airwaybill/shipping docket and commercial invoice.

Secondly, the cost to ship them back will eat into the profit they will get from selling them... they’ll have paid to ship them return with no sale so if you refuse it’s not worth their hassle.

Just if they get onto you again...

“Records are here for collecting. I won’t be completing any paperwork for them or organizing transportation. They are not my property or problem, you sent them here in error, if you do not have the ability or want to organize their removal, I will need to dispose of them by xx date”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What album?

Gonna cost a fortune to send that back to them btw. Keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sell the other 19 copies on Discogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A few ideas OP :pac:

X01DmsuWkgYPWIhSOcNalK0IjjoVXN-3ZDvZwll50kJ2bucAWXWSmUqKbFUV0XGq7hnJCkpPzAcOvuVx8IRu7fvmh24fuN-k0gjH38OVcypxe81Xm0IZzbHR9kAjyR_i_Qtcv4c

fc77dd27c24d263ebaded2b229d55c08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Been back and forth with company asking for them to arrange courier, as they keep insisting I sent it back on my own and they'll refund. Which I'm refusing to do.

They've been pretty poor to say the least..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Rustyman101

Basq wrote: »
    Been back and forth with company asking for them to arrange courier, as they keep insisting I sent it back on my own and they'll refund. Which I'm refusing to do.

done your best sir, I'd leave it with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JayZeus wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

What a load of rubbish.

OP, If you've ordered and paid for 1 album, take one out of the pack and make the other 19 available for them to arrange collection via courier during office hours, from an address you specify. Tell them they can arrange the pickup within 3 business days, or they go to recycling. If they want them back, they can pay UPS/DHL/Fedex to pick them up themselves. If they don't act within a reasonable timeframe (and 3 days is perfectly reasonable), snap them in half and send them out with the recycling.

You post a reasonable/sensible reply and then finish it with the above! Why would any right minded person break them and dump them? Sell them on eBay or Adverts or where ever after making reasonable efforts for their return to the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What album is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

khalessi wrote: »
    What album is it?

+1

If it’s something I’m into and don’t have, I’ll throw €20 to the charity of your choice for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Excellent band to have 20 of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Yep, you've done everything reasonable. It's up to them to arrange return shipping to correct their mistake. Asking you to pay for it (even with the promise of a refund) isn't a reasonable request.

Inform them that you'll be doing nothing further about it until they arrange shipping and leave it there. Give them a deadline after which they may be disposed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Nice Album, some companies are just a nightmare to deal with, even when you are trying to do the right thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Nah you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 damomaher

Massive National fan

I'll happily take one

• Registered Users Posts: 17 damomaher

dONT RETURN off your own dime , their mistake their's to resolve

And Id take a copy if you want to get rid

Thanks Damian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

damomaher wrote: »
    dONT RETURN off your own dime , their mistake their's to resolve

And Id take a copy if you want to get rid

Thanks Damian

I'd love one too.

I was in a similar circumstance. All you need to do is get an estimate from the courier, which will likely be expensive, and send them an email saying "look, the cost for me to ship these back is likely more expensive than what you can sell them for. Please arrange your own shipping, which is much cheaper"

At the end of the day there's nothing they can do. Their mistake. At least you're honest giving them an option to collect.

I went onto Fedex there. A 3kg box of 50 x 50 x 30cm from Dublin to NY is about €300. No way will they cover that cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You’ll only clog up the system . The system wants you to ‘ forgetaboutit ‘ so ‘ forgetaboutit Kapiche ! ! '

You post a reasonable/sensible reply and then finish it with the above! Why would any right minded person break them and dump them? Sell them on eBay or Adverts or where ever after making reasonable efforts for their return to the seller.

They're not the OP's to sell. That's why.

Not. Rocket. Science.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I went onto Fedex there. A 3kg box of 50 x 50 x 30cm from Dublin to NY is about €300. No way will they cover that cost.
    They gave me an alternative address in Middlesex to send it to either..

.. but like I’ve been saying, it’s on them to sort this.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Love The National man!! "any ones ghost".. :D You have good taste Sir

Oh. No. They. Didn't.
    Please use the following freepost address to returned the received items.We apologize for the inconvenience caused .

IF YOU LIVE WITHIN THE UK:
    (and they put it in caps and all!)

Told them my patience is wearing thin, that I'd be tempted to charge them a storage fee at this stage and they've 5 days to collect it or they're being disposed of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Oh FFS :P

Add a fee for basic geography lessons if you need to explain that to them.

Advertisement