Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Champions Weekend

Options
  • 10-09-2020 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just seen that Ryan Moore is aboard Japan rather than Magical. Seems strange to me. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Fancy Japan myself tomorrow, he must be coming to hand for Moore to stick with him and on his second last run he has only a couple of lengths to find with ghattiath. Ground might not be ideal for the fav either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

11117 wrote: »
    Just seen that Ryan Moore is aboard Japan rather than Magical. Seems strange to me. Thoughts?

Based on a couple of interviews it appears Moore is in love with Japan. He really believes there's another huge performance in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Call me a chancey wee git all you like but I keep seeing Armory overpriced and I have had a few quid on the Exchanges from around 40 -50 / 1 , win only for the moment. I also took some 33/1 ew with a few providers. On all known form he has a bit to find but he is only a 3 year old and I get the impression that AOB is only getting to the back of his string at the moment.

Ghayaith will probably win easy, but I would rather have a swipe at Magical or Armory than phucking Japan. That thing keeps on disappointing and has proved very pricey to follow. If you can get your head out of the sand for a bit you will see that the race in won in France last year was a bit meh and beating a (possibly regressive ) Crystal Ocean by a inch may not be that solid either. I would rather have a stab at a horse like Armory who given breeding has the scope to improve, at his price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

2 big bets done for tomorrow
    Sottssas and Galileo Chrome
    Either wins and ol Rodge will party like Marty at a camogie dinner dance

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Call me a chancey wee git all you like but I keep seeing Armory overpriced and I have had a few quid on the Exchanges from around 40 -50 / 1 , win only for the moment. I also took some 33/1 ew with a few providers. On all known form he has a bit to find but he is only a 3 year old and I get the impression that AOB is only getting to the back of his string at the moment.

Ghayaith will probably win easy, but I would rather have a swipe at Magical or Armory than phucking Japan. That thing keeps on disappointing and has proved very pricey to follow. If you can get your head out of the sand for a bit you will see that the race in won in France last year was a bit meh and beating a (possibly regressive ) Crystal Ocean by a inch may not be that solid either. I would rather have a stab at a horse like Armory who given breeding has the scope to improve, at his price anyway.

Japan, Mogul, Sir Dragonet all very similar in that they are all big talking horses, plenty ability, all Galileos (i think), all expensive cliff horses and all as genuine as the "Fresh Cod" from the local take away

• Advertisement

Japan, Mogul, Sir Dragonet all very similar in that they are all big talking horses, plenty ability, all Galileos (i think), all expensive cliff horses and all as genuine as the "Fresh Cod" from the local take away

After that I am definitely getting some fish n chips tonight Raj. :)

Thing is I reckon Sir Dragonet is going to pop again somewhere in the mud at a big price, don't know where and don't know when, but he will. I would not be overly convinced Mogul is a pig either, but both horsies are victims of expectations. If you gave either to David Simcock or Richard Fahey they might still be handicapping and have 5 or 6 wins left in them.

After that I am definitely getting some fish n chips tonight Raj. :)

Thing is I reckon Sir Dragonet is going to pop again somewhere in the mud at a big price, don't know where and don't know when, but he will. I would not be overly convinced Mogul is a pig either, but both horsies are victims of expectations. If you gave either to David Simcock or Richard Fahey they might still be handicapping and have 5 or 6 wins left in them.

Unlikely considering he is off to Australia for a new life down under lad

Unlikely considering he is off to Australia for a new life down under lad

Is he going racing or breeding?

It can rain down there too you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Racing, he’s going for the Melbourne Cup

Oh he6will be laying more pipe than Board Gáis
    Some breeding regardless of his form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Probably Japan for moi tomorrow too lads. I do think he's a mile and half horse though but will to take a chance again. He's just gonna win a big one, firmly believe he's better than he's shown so far this year.

Dawn Patrol for me in the Leger. Probably wants this trip judging by Irish Derby run when ran on extremely well. 16s seems big enough and chance he'll get bigger. World class jockey on top too...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pboru22

Hi Everyone,

I think the race of the weekend is Juvenile race Sunday with battleground. Master of the seas & lucky vega. What are ye opinions here??

I like buildmeupbuttercup tomorrow, I know not the strongest of finishers at times but I think better ground will help and good claimer on board. Went close last year and I think has great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Don't claim to be an expert, but have been told Peaceful in the 3.10 at Leopardstown is hugely fancied by the stable,

Was going to wait til tomorrow and get guaranteed early price, but was told it will be hammered in the betting.

No such thing as a certainty, just passing on what I heard, I feel like I owe this forum a winner !

Don't claim to be an expert, but have been told Peaceful in the 3.10 at Leopardstown is hugely fancied by the stable,

Was going to wait til tomorrow and get guaranteed early price, but was told it will be hammered in the betting.

No such thing as a certainty, just passing on what I heard, I feel like I owe this forum a winner !

How much are you laying her on the exchanges as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Slattsy wrote: »
    How much are you laying her on the exchanges as a matter of interest?

Whatever. Last time I’ll post a tip here, the boards.ie horse racing forum doesn’t move markets.

I’d like to tell you what to go do, but don’t want a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

As ITV are showing the races from Leopardstown, Virgin Media One can't show the Ledger meeting I would guess as that's what normally happens when they show Irish racing and schedules seem to agree with that too.

Peaceful is huge at 3s!

Make a challenge a big price Sunday
    Horse is a winning machine
    Glass Slippers disappointed last time out, couldn't go rith the pace, Hogan is a crook but this horse is a good un

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Think the Ledger could really suit Mohican Heights .

20/1 ew 3 places

Handicap Clusterphuck Madness

The only reason the 2.35 handicap at Leopardstown is well over a 1m4f (almost 1m5f) is that the mile and half start incurs a hooooer of a bend after 100 yards and given the field size would be basically dangerous. At Leopardstown most 12f races are small as a result, but when they stretch out the start the race is invariably won by a low draw ( 1-4 ) or the wide outside draw ( 13-18 ). If you are drawn wide you slip in and wait for the home straight, if you are drawn low inside you make a scurry for the bend and try to kick on off the home turn. Simple game really.

I reckon backing these big handicaps, not unlike the jockeys, you need to cut a few corners and take a few risks. So I am extracting all mid drawn horsies from the line up. Which leaves me with
    Inside draw
    1) Kasparenko - gets trip but all wins coming from off pace, will be difficult to perform similar tactics here - no bet.
    2) Questionnaire - at the price my heart says yes but my head says no. Goodluck Luke.
    3) Edification - lovely phat price, but nice draw and won a 12f handicap ( held up ) on the /curragh this summer - considered.
    4) RESERVE - Non runner
    5) Arthurian Fame - I doubt it, looks exposed now.
    Outside Draw
    14) Buildmeupbuttercup - Has to have every chance, tight enough around 7/1, Mullins targets this race.
    15) Emperor of the Sun - 3yrolds record not great in this race, bad price at 7/1 all things considered.
    16) Never Do Nothing - can't really see it happening, although Gibo is getting winners and good luck to him.
    17) Winner Takes it all - the bookies eyes are squinting the horizon, seeing when the lumping starts.
    18) Reserve - NO N Runner
    19) Royal Illusion - 8 yr old WPM targets the race, could be thrown in, nice price at 20's.
    20) Springbank - Scooted up last time, 3 yr old could be anything, tight enough at 11's
    21 ) John Ess - Keeps on picking up prize money at a slightly lower grade, but goes well left handed and is the right price at 40's to maybe nab a place if it gets a nice ride.

All things considered I am backing Royal Illusion and John Ess, both ew 5 places. I Couldn't stop anyone having a 5ew on Edification given his price and draw either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Pboru22 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I think the race of the weekend is Juvenile race Sunday with battleground. Master of the seas & lucky vega. What are ye opinions here??

I like buildmeupbuttercup tomorrow, I know not the strongest of finishers at times but I think better ground will help and good claimer on board. Went close last year and I think has great chance

The Vincent o Brien National Stakes, is the best two year old of the year so far to be run in the British Isles at the Curragh tomorrow. The three horses that you mention are hugely progressive and I cannot split them. To me I have asked this question 're Master of the seas to myself? Is his two wins from two starts, enough to suggest that he is another Pinatubo - the 2 year old version? If he is, he will take some beating.

Lucky Vega was most impressive at the Phoenix stakes at the Curragh the best performance by a juvenile so far in Ireland. While battleground looked very smart at Goodwood. Tough race to call I won't have a bet in it, but like many racing fans, looking forward to this and will be a most informative race for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

3.10 So Wonderful
    3.40 Ides of August
    4.10 Magical

€5 e/w treble for an interest. Cracking days racing considering its Flat.

3.10 So Wonderful
    3.40 Ides of August
    4.10 Magical

€5 e/w treble for an interest. Cracking days racing considering its Flat.

Christ that's a brave treble!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Against my better judgement I'm on Sottsass in the Irish Champion Stakes. I don't think Ghaiyyath can be beaten but his odds are very short. Did Sottsass on the back of his coming here from France to such a high class race instead of hischaving a crack at a much easier Arc Trial tomorrow.

Think Moore has got it wrong, with her 3lbs Fillies allowance Magical should be better than Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Christ that's a brave treble!!!

Ah for a throw away tenner its worth a shot. Banking more on the place part than the win. All three are good enough to place on their day, maybe Ides of August is the most questionable one.

Donnie
    3.00 Shine So Bright, looks overpriced at 12/16's and they may not have pushed the button yet this season. Balding is winning races.
    3.30 Galileo Chrome - It just wins.:p
    Baile An Leopard
    4.45 Lancaster Bomber - big dirty tank of a thing will pish it, get on.
    5.15 Tiger Moth looks nailed on, but I cannot get away from Up Helly Aa at 14's 4 places. Really intriguing entry jumped up in trip, but her mummy was a beast and if she gets the trip will give all a run for their money. She could have surely gone in the preceding mile race, so they must have notions about her getting the trip, her mam won a Matron over a mile.

All singles and dumped in a Yankee also, I want a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Doncaster 15:35
    Dawn Patrol at 122 at 35.64
    Finished like a rocket for 3rd in the Irish Derby, stuck on the rail, came outside four horses.
    His dam also produced English Derby winner Pour Moi.

Handicap Clusterphuck Madness

The only reason the 2.35 handicap at Leopardstown is well over a 1m4f (almost 1m5f) is that the mile and half start incurs a hooooer of a bend after 100 yards and given the field size would be basically dangerous. At Leopardstown most 12f races are small as a result, but when they stretch out the start the race is invariably won by a low draw ( 1-4 ) or the wide outside draw ( 13-18 ). If you are drawn wide you slip in and wait for the home straight, if you are drawn low inside you make a scurry for the bend and try to kick on off the home turn. Simple game really.

I reckon backing these big handicaps, not unlike the jockeys, you need to cut a few corners and take a few risks. So I am extracting all mid drawn horsies from the line up. Which leaves me with
    Inside draw
    1) Kasparenko - gets trip but all wins coming from off pace, will be difficult to perform similar tactics here - no bet.
    2) Questionnaire - at the price my heart says yes but my head says no. Goodluck Luke.
    3) Edification - lovely phat price, but nice draw and won a 12f handicap ( held up ) on the /curragh this summer - considered.
    4) RESERVE - Non runner
    5) Arthurian Fame - I doubt it, looks exposed now.
    Outside Draw
    14) Buildmeupbuttercup - Has to have every chance, tight enough around 7/1, Mullins targets this race.
    15) Emperor of the Sun - 3yrolds record not great in this race, bad price at 7/1 all things considered.
    16) Never Do Nothing - can't really see it happening, although Gibo is getting winners and good luck to him.
    17) Winner Takes it all - the bookies eyes are squinting the horizon, seeing when the lumping starts.
    18) Reserve - NO N Runner
    19) Royal Illusion - 8 yr old WPM targets the race, could be thrown in, nice price at 20's.
    20) Springbank - Scooted up last time, 3 yr old could be anything, tight enough at 11's
    21 ) John Ess - Keeps on picking up prize money at a slightly lower grade, but goes well left handed and is the right price at 40's to maybe nab a place if it gets a nice ride.

All things considered I am backing Royal Illusion and John Ess, both ew 5 places. I Couldn't stop anyone having a 5ew on Edification given his price and draw either.

I missed the start but I have an awful feeling that the high numbers were on the rail? What a shambles if that is the case and apologies to all.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

The St Leger is very confusing.

Santiago is a very likeable type but he heads into the race off an OR of just 114 which is well behind the OR 120 that the Irish Derby winner Capri won the Leger off. Think he will finish 3rd.

Pyledriver was very impressive at York, he should be much shorter in the betting. He has a Derby winners Dosage Index of 1.00 which leaves his ability to get home today in question. I think its between him and Galileo Chrome.

Galileo Chrome is bred to be a Cup Horse, he has a 0.49 Dosage index. He will win if Pyledriver finds it hard to get home.

PS: I know eff all about Hukum so I'm ignoring him :)

• Advertisement

Legend, great stuff Johnny, yoooooou the man.

Advertisement