Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nabber wrote: »

He goes on to argue that we should include Next Generation Nuclear technology in the energy mix

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Akrasia wrote:
    He goes on to argue that we should include Next Generation Nuclear technology in the energy mix

I think he's right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Akrasia wrote: »

What's your own opinion on nuclear energy?

Seems like a taboo subject when it comes to Climate change and more notably with our own green party.
    Who if memory servers were against Nuclear energy because of the mining involved. Totally ignoring the mining required with wind and solar alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nabber wrote:
    Seems like a taboo subject when it comes to Climate change and more notably with our own green party. Who if memory servers were against Nuclear energy because of the mining involved. Totally ignoring the mining required with wind and solar alternatives.

Our green party can be very incoherent at times, their ideas come across as being a bit daft at times, we ll all know about it, if we start running outta power in the future, via renewables, I think nuclear needs to be seriously looked at. I think the greens have a serious pr problem, I suspect most citizens are concerned about the environment, but the greens are one of least liked parties, there's something wrong there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0227/1117988-storms-ireland/

I'm actually surprised this got published given the current mantra about "bad" weather of recent years being "unprecedented"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well at least Rte name there climate change documentary correctly "Hot Air" because thats all it is....

Birdnuts wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0227/1117988-storms-ireland/

I'm actually surprised this got published given the current mantra about "bad" weather of recent years being "unprecedented"

There is no consensus that AGW causes or will cause more serve weather.
    Rather what we see a move towards - it's warmer so now something will happen.
    No matter what part of the global, no matter the weather type, no matter the frequency in the past or the past records, that weather disaster will be tied to AGW.

There are number of scientist to blame, but it's predominately the media, who pre 1960s would have us believe that there was never a flood, storm, drought, heat wave, snow storm, tornado or hurricane. Coupled with news on demand from 1000s of sources across the globe with instance access.
    If folks take a walk down memory lane, there was a time where news was local/national, only major international events were covered. We didn't have a constant bombardment of global events or 24 news channels, looking for anything and everything to fill up their news segments.

What is not mentioned and often ignored is deaths from weather related disasters has dropped. Considering property development on sea/water fronts, across floodplains and in areas prone to Forrest fires, you'd expect the opposite is likely. The media have considerable amount of people in a frenzy over the dangers that have yet to materialise.

523522.png
    https://ourworldindata.org/natural-disasters

IMO I feel that AGW Theorist are trying to have their cake and eat it.
    • Temps below average in a particular area = weather not climate
    • Temps above average in a particular area = climate change not weather

number-of-deaths-from-natural-disasters.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In fairness, the deaths from natural disasters are dropping off in large part due to better warning systems and the good luck involved in not having had mass-casualty earthquakes which have nothing to do with the subject matter here anyway. Back in the decade 1900-09, there were big death tolls in Reggio Italy from an earthquake and from the Galveston hurricane (no effective warning), as well as the volcanic eruption on some island in the Caribbean. Those three alone killed more than 100k people. The 1970 tropical cyclone disaster in Bangladesh killed 250,000 and the 1976 earthquake in China killed half a million or more.

Meanwhile let's say Michael had hit Panama City full force instead of Mexico Beach and it was 1900 not 2018, then you could have easily seen a 10k to 30k death toll. That was a difference of about five miles in landfall (and 118 years in communications technology).

So deaths from disasters cannot really be used very effectively by any side in this complicated debate.

In fairness, the deaths from natural disasters are dropping off in large part due to better warning systems.

Agreed. It's also better building materials, building standards/regulations, emergency responses ect....

When the above fail then it's usually catastrophic and attributed to AGW.
    I removed Volcanoes and earthquakes from the data above as they are not weather phenomenon.

As the impact of death tolls has reduced, extreme events are in the media at least measured in dollar destruction value. Which has increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

In fairness, the deaths from natural disasters are dropping off in large part due to better warning systems and the good luck involved in not having had mass-casualty earthquakes which have nothing to do with the subject matter here anyway. Back in the decade 1900-09, there were big death tolls in Reggio Italy from an earthquake and from the Galveston hurricane (no effective warning), as well as the volcanic eruption on some island in the Caribbean. Those three alone killed more than 100k people. The 1970 tropical cyclone disaster in Bangladesh killed 250,000 and the 1976 earthquake in China killed half a million or more.

Meanwhile let's say Michael had hit Panama City full force instead of Mexico Beach and it was 1900 not 2018, then you could have easily seen a 10k to 30k death toll. That was a difference of about five miles in landfall (and 118 years in communications technology).

So deaths from disasters cannot really be used very effectively by any side in this complicated debate.
    Agreed. It's also better building materials, building standards/regulations, emergency responses ect....

When the above fail then it's usually catastrophic and attributed to AGW.
    I removed Volcanoes and earthquakes from the data above as they are not weather phenomenon.

As the impact of death tolls has reduced, extreme events are in the media at least measured in dollar destruction value. Which has increased.

But...but...we are being told that the AGW-related weather events are already having increasingly devastating effects all around the world. A mass extinction is being spoken about. Whole nations wiped out by rising seas. Huge numbers being killed by floods/droughts/heatwaves/snowstorms/fires/... How come the chart doesn't show that? Ah, it must be the y-axis scale and growing global population. I see...

• Advertisement

And it begins
    Clifden flooding a stark warning of extremes to come in Ireland - climate expert
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/clifden-flooding-a-stark-warning-of-extremes-to-come-in-ireland-climate-expert-1.4346073

Yeah - apparently "bad" weather only arrived since we started naming storms:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Am I the only one who is getting just a little bit sick and tired of listening to these randomly chosen 'experts' by the press? And I really doubt the Atlantic was 'silky smooth' as an ex tropical storm was passing over it.

New Moon

Well yesterday in the Clifden thread I predicted that Professor Sweeney from Maynooth would be on spouting this ****e. Seems I was wrong, it was his colleague. :cool:

I suppose the Merrion Square flood of 1963 didn't happen. Or the stormy month of August 1986. No, they couldn't have, they only happen nowadays.

These ICARUS guys have a job to do and it serves their interest to make these claims, but it does indeed get tiresome hearing it time after time. The Clifden rain wasn't in fact linked to ex-Laura. That moisture headed north out to our west and it more tied up in the trough that will come down tonight.

Well yesterday in the Clifden thread I predicted that Professor Sweeney from Maynooth would be on spouting this ****e. Seems I was wrong, it was his colleague. :cool:

Sloppy. Do better next time.

tenor.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That recent flood really seemed to me like one part weather, two parts land management.

As you know I've taken an exhaustive look at Toronto's weather records, and there's a new record situation waiting to happen for sure, somehow in 181 years of data, the downtown station has never had more than 100 mm of rain in a calendar day or 150 mm in two consecutive days, while around the region (of south central Ontario) lots of stations with shorter periods have managed to record 150 mm in one calendar day and 200 in two consecutive. It's only a matter of time until the right situation delivers at the downtown location and then of course it will be open season for "experts" to proclaim a major shift in climate.

My overall impression is that extreme rainfall events are either steady state or in a slight decline over time since the 19th century. This seems to be the case in most climate regions. There's no particular reason why a slight warming trend would increase rainfalls in any given location, given the complexity of precipitation forcing.

That recent flood really seemed to me like one part weather, two parts land management.

As you know I've taken an exhaustive look at Toronto's weather records, and there's a new record situation waiting to happen for sure, somehow in 181 years of data, the downtown station has never had more than 100 mm of rain in a calendar day or 150 mm in two consecutive days, while around the region (of south central Ontario) lots of stations with shorter periods have managed to record 150 mm in one calendar day and 200 in two consecutive. It's only a matter of time until the right situation delivers at the downtown location and then of course it will be open season for "experts" to proclaim a major shift in climate.

My overall impression is that extreme rainfall events are either steady state or in a slight decline over time since the 19th century. This seems to be the case in most climate regions. There's no particular reason why a slight warming trend would increase rainfalls in any given location, given the complexity of precipitation forcing.

In the past 100 years with the rapid increase in the world population, more and more people are forced to live in vulnereable zones like Deltas and steep hillsides - worse this tends to destroy the buffering of natural vegetation that help mitigate storm surges, heavy rainfall and the likes in such areas eg Hurricane Katrina was so destructive due to the mass drainage/destruction of the Mississipee Delta over the last 150 years.

'Vote, as early as you can, for a habitable planet'.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1304058432656494594

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The RTE report from Clifden detailed the locations of the flooding from the sudden rise of the Owenglen River.

Low road
    Riverside
    Clifden Glen Estate

All located beside the river. The report also detailed that water levels in the river were subject to tidal fluctuations. Given known 50 / 100 flood cycles chances it was likley to happen sooner or later.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Yep, because carbon dioxide caused the fireworks that started that fire.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

These aren’t anything to do with climate change, it’s all arsonists and it’s perfectly normal cause these fires happened all the time before there were any records or evidence to back up this claim

Nothing to see here, the sun is dead, Mini ice age here we come

Yep, because carbon dioxide caused the fireworks that started that fire.

Fires start every year, it’s the fact that it’s so hot and dry that helps them so spread to fast

Fires start every year, it’s the fact that it’s so hot and dry that helps them so spread to fast

And what has that got to do with humans, apart from the starting them bit?

And what has that got to do with humans, apart from the starting them bit?

The anthropogenic climate change bit

I think you need to read up on the climate of California.

Wow, has this dry spell already been attributed to GHG? That's quick. It's almost as if they have a reply ready to release for every event nowadays, as it happens.

It couldn't be linked to the neutral ENSO and the persistant negative PDO this year, of course...

Wow, has this dry spell already been attributed to GHG? That's quick. It's almost as if they have a reply ready to release for every event nowadays, as it happens.

It couldn't be linked to the neutral ENSO and the persistant negative PDO this year, of course...
    So you have evidence that these unprecedented fires are linked to a neutral ENSO?
    Are you taking the piss?

I think you need to read up on the climate of California.

If it’s so normal you should be able to find loads of pictures from years ago where San Francisco looks like mars

If it’s so normal you should be able to find loads of pictures from years ago where San Francisco looks like mars

You mean before people had iphones:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You mean before people had iphones:rolleyes:

You think camera’s were invented with phones?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement