Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your take on An Post's Fr. Ted stamps?

Options
  • 08-09-2020 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the show, but...stamps? total cringe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If they have one of Fr Stone's portrait of Ted, I'd buy that for a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Something that captures the Irish psyche completely, alcoholics, the Catholic Church, nepotism, irregular financial transactions.

It should of happed sooner tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Paddywhackery

Same as the Irish football jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 81,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An Post know lots will be collected and never used, means they get almost free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sure it wouldn't sit right with me, unless someone had an issue with the stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It just shows how bad we are at producing comedy if we're still banging on about this show decades later

That would be a philatelistumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'm a big fan of the show, but...stamps? total cringe.
    https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Products/Father-Ted-Booklet-of-5-Stamps
    didn't expect them to be quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ah what a copout :mad: I thought it would be portraits of the characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I'll buy some and WD40 the franking off regular stamps and reuse them to recoup the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Mods maybe this would be more suited to the stamp collection forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They aren't great tbh.

I got ones a while back celebrating computer games which I liked a lot.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mario-sonic-and-pac-man-get-philatelic-stamp-of-approval-1.1966834

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It just shows how bad we are at producing comedy if we're still banging on about this show decades later
    The only problem I have with them being made is that it's not even an Irish-made show because our national broadcaster was and is a pile of manure.

Blindboy Boatclub and Francis Higgins being prime examples of people who should be given massive budgets and left to their own devices to produce quality programming, but aren't because RTE is run by 300 year olds or something and their niece wants to do a travel show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

If you say that to me again I'll post your head through the letterbox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

s1ippy wrote: »
    The only problem I have with them being made is that it's not even an Irish-made show because our national broadcaster was and is a pile of manure.

Blindboy Boatclub and Francis Higgins being prime examples of people who should be given massive budgets and left to their own devices to produce quality programming, but aren't because RTE is run by 300 year olds or something and their niece wants to do a travel show.

Blindboy Boatclub ?

Are you serious ?

Some guy from middle class Limerick guy with a bag over his head telling men they should all be femminists...
    Met him a few times before it's all scripted and he's not as intelligent as he leads you to believe.

Blindboy Boatclub on a stamp ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Snowc wrote: »

It's already been sent that way.

Should take roughly three working days to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They didn't even include "Ted, the Chinese are coming" or "and now to ride Mrs O'Reilly"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nthclare wrote: »
    Blindboy Boatclub ?

Are you serious ?

Some guy from middle class Limerick guy with a bag over his head telling men they should all be femminists...
    Met him a few times before it's all scripted and he's not as intelligent as he leads you to believe.

They could put him on the Spar savings stamps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Blindboy Boatclub ?

Are you serious ?

scripted by who?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

scripted by who?

He doesn't just come up with all those platitudes out of thin air, it's all well rehearsed in his head before hand.
    Unlike Billy Connolly or other comedians he's not so sharp on his own two feet :)

Sorry I sometimes mix up rehearsed rather with scripted...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

"Because of the beast. They say it's as big as four cats and it's got a retractable leg so's it can leap up at you better. And you know what, Ted, it lights up at night and it's got four ears, two of them are for listening and the other two are kind of back-up ears. Its claws are as big as cups and for some reason, it's got a tremendous fear of stamps!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They look very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Very dull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

They look very small.

ok, I'll bite :pac:

No, they're far away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dulceetdecorum

Snowc wrote: »

Snitches get stitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Channel 4 produced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Blindboy Boatclub ?

Are you serious ?

He should be stamped on, repeatedly. Then the bag put in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Blindboy Boatclub ?

Are you serious ?

If we're going Limerick, how about Willie O'Dea pointing a gun; it would make a savage stamp. It could be part of a collection of political cock ups.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What's a stamp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No it doesn't.

The stamps are commemorating a classic comedy not a modern one.

Also, it's just an attempt by An Post to raise money by appealing to collectors.

I don't get why people would be bothered by them.

Advertisement