Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nearly time for the monthly updates, but in the meantime I have a question.

How much of your generation do you manage to use? I have 6.2kwp system with 4.8kWh battery and I'm currently sitting at 71.5% usage and the rest exported.

I had 2 real howlers in there where I exported 38kWh across the 2 days as the sun was blazing and I wasn't home to charge the car or run washing cycles other than just 1 via timer.

I'd be on 78% if it wasn't for those 2 days kicking my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The relevant percentage should be what you use excluding immersion diversion. The latter is not making you much money, even if you have a large array. With a medium or small array, it is quite likely costing you more money to self consume compared to exporting to the grid for free.

unkel wrote: »
    The relevant percentage should be what you use excluding immersion diversion. The latter is not making you much money, even if you have a large array. With a medium or small array, it is quite likely costing you more money to self consume compared to exporting to the grid for free.

True, I'd say I've only put about 20kWh into the immersion thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I don't have a diverter and am at 69% usage. But have worked from home this summer so dumped some excess into the hot water tank. If I wasn't at home I would probably be closer to 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

And August has been mediocre too, pushing % up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

quick question. I have a solis inverter and wifi datalogger but its setup to show generation only. Has anyone added a CT clamp to the inverter and was it hard to setup. From what I can find out all I need to do is run a cat 5 cable into the house and put the CT on the main tail from the meter. What do I have to change in the software to show production vs consumption?

Or has someone a cheap different approach. Its a nice to have rather than a must have IMO

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

phester28 wrote: »
    quick question. I have a solis inverter and wifi datalogger but its setup to show generation only. Has anyone added a CT clamp to the inverter and was it hard to setup. From what I can find out all I need to do is run a cat 5 cable into the house and put the CT on the main tail from the meter. What do I have to change in the software to show production vs consumption?

Or has someone a cheap different approach. Its a nice to have rather than a must have IMO

Is it the dongle that attaches to the inverter you have? My one shows my consumption and everything, maybe you have a slightly older version of the dongle?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭phester28

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it the dongle that attaches to the inverter you have? My one shows my consumption and everything, maybe you have a slightly older version of the dongle?

Its all brand new. The dongle does noting more than report data from the inverter to the cloud.

If you have a battery then you will have a more complete install as you the inverter needs to know when to charge and when to supply to the grid, and would have the CT by default. I am asking for anyone that has a fairly basic install or did it themselves.

The options would need to be changed in plant settings on your app

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Its all brand new. The dongle does noting more than report data from the inverter to the cloud.

If you have a battery then you will have a more complete install as you the inverter needs to know when to charge and when to supply to the grid, and would have the CT by default. I am asking for anyone that has a fairly basic install or did it themselves.

The options would need to be changed in plant settings on your app

Ah sorry, I do indeed have a battery so that explains why I get more info.

You would need to change the "on-grid type" within in plant - go the Other Info > area

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

First time poster, my system was installed in July and is a Sonnen 5Kw battery & inverter with 7 * 320w Sharp panels, South East facing on the roof:

For Aug:

Overall Consumption 459.88 kWh
    Self Production: 207.3 kWh (36.8%)
    Additional Grid Purchase 290.64 kWh (63.2%)
    Self Consumption 99.6%
    Feed-in 0.4%

Nice graph

524603.png

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

championc wrote: »
    You would need to change the "on-grid type" within in plant - go the Other Info > area

Hmm. Have been having the same question. Is this what you are suggesting??

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    Hmm. Have been having the same question. Is this what you are suggesting??

Correct. Maybe you have the correct system selected but nothing is being recorded due to the clamp not being in place. You may need to configure it once connected because it's possible that it could maybe be configured as a limiter, which would then throttle production.

I don't know because I have a separate storage inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

What you need st a meter on din rail with modbus interface that goes into your fuse box. From there you would run data cable(cat5 will do) to your inverter and configure inverter to talk to your meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mun1

august 2020
    3.7kw S/SW, 12 panels (8 south 35deg, 4 West vertical)

Total generated 324kWhr
    Power bought from grid 188kWhr
    Solar power to grid 106 kWhr
    Monthly self use rate 64%

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

July Values

Generation -198kWh
    Grid Consumption -93kWh
    Hot Water Eddi -78kWh
    Lowest Daily Gen on the 3rd - 1.7kWh
    Highest Daily Gen on the 26th - 13kWh

August Values, South East facing 2.4kw,Donegal

Generation- 225kWh (Beating both June and July)
    Grid Consumption - 98kWh
    Hot Water Eddi - 86kWh
    Lowest Daily Gen on the 4th - 1.1kWh
    Highest Daily Gen on the 12th - 13.6kWh

Added bonus this summer has been doing the yearly switch, meaning I have paid nothing for electricity since mid April after receiving €175 switching credit from electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

garo wrote: »
    4.8 kWp E/W. 2.4kWh battery. 24 degree slope.

July(kWh):
    Production: 474 (528 predicted)
    Consumption: 412 (512 pred.)
    Import: 136 (64d, 72n) (154 pred.)
    Export: 198 (170 pred.)

Best day: 19th: 24.1
    Worst day: 7th: 7.6
    August was the worst month since March.

4.8 kWp E/W. 2.4kWh battery. 24 degree slope.

August(kWh):
    Production: 424 (462 predicted)
    Consumption: 544 (512 pred.)
    Import: 230 (131d, 99n) (203 pred.)
    Export: 110 (153 pred.)

Best day: 8th: 26.7
    Worst day: 16th: 2.7

3.72kwp, SW facing, Connaught

July: 191.7kWh (logging only started on the 17th)
    August: 397.8kWh (first full month with the system)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

August

238kWh
    SE 3kw Cork
    Best 14.3 on 12th
    Worst 1.6 on 14th!

August Stats
    6.2kWp (2.8 south/3.4 west), 4.8kWh battery, Zappi & Eddi – Donegal

Generation – 572.1kWh
    Export – 147.1kWh
    Import – 302.4kWh

For some reason the myenergi hub won't give me monthly figures for Zappi & Eddi consumption. Maybe the units themselves will play ball, I'll check later. At a guess I'd say the Eddi got maybe 15kWh and the Zappi about 12 (8 of which was yesterday).

Worst day, 25th – 2.9kWh (thanks Storm Francis)
    Best day, 8th – 35.8kWh

Also got my first electric bill since install, so a mixture of pre/post-PV.

€140, same period last year was €230 odd. Too early to draw too much from that of course due to variable like estimated meter readings etc but it’s a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »

For some reason the myenergi hub won't give me monthly figures for Zappi & Eddi consumption.

They are rewriting that part of the app and have disabled monthly reports for now. I think there is a new version of the app coming in the next week or so and maybe then they'll allow the monthly reports again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭rx8

August figures:
    4.2kwp E/W.
    Monthly production - 314.7kwh.
    Monthly consumption - 342.3kwh.
    Worst day: 16th- 1.7 kwh.
    Best day: 8th- 21.1kwh.
    I- boost got 35.1kwh.

Last bi-monthly bill was €65, at the start of August. This was half of the previous 2 years at the same time. They're no DrPhilG figures but hopefully we'll have an Indian summer in September.

KCross wrote: »
    They are rewriting that part of the app and have disabled monthly reports for now. I think there is a new version of the app coming in the next week or so and maybe then they'll allow the monthly reports again.

Ahh, didn't realise. Thanks. I thought something was set up wrong.

I wish they would provide a desktop version of the system too, makes it a little easier to dig for info.

Ps who's hot and who's not at the minute for electric suppliers? My SSE deal is ending soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭rx8

Ps who's hot and who's not at the minute for electric suppliers? My SSE deal is ending soon.

I think Bord Gais direct has the best rates atm,
    or you could sign up to "One big switch " and get 40% off with energia. Not available to me cos I'm with them atm,but changing mid month.

I was with Energia before, I'll check out bonkers shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

7 panels 2.1 kW tot
    Sth facing
    189 kWh produced August
    100 kWh imported
    Supplier Iberdrola

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For me it has always been a ping pong between Energia and Airtricity for the best rates for rural customer with day/night rate.... mine is up next week also so I'll be switching back to Airtricity again because Energia probably wont give me the new customer discount but I'll ask them anyway! :(

I looked a week or so ago and the rates I saw were
    Airtricity - Day/Night 15.42/7.64 Via bonkers only
    Energia - Day/Night: 14.22/6.83

January Yield - 75kw
    February Yield - 121.55kw
    March Yield - 200.59kw
    April Yield - 279.11kw
    May Yield - 396.34kw
    June Yield - 264.13kw
    July Yield - 261.88kw

3.6kw South Facing - South Dublin - 22 deg slope - 16.8kWh Lead-Acid Batteries
    Live System Link - https://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?pid=95390

Mediocre Month

August Generated - 254.10kw / Consumed - 330.95kw / Imported - 135.73kw / Exported - 13.34kw / Eddi - 22kw / Zappi 8.5kw
    Batteries - Charged 147.64w / Discharged 123.4kw

Meter Readings 01326 (00347 Day / 00979 Night)

• Advertisement

Exported - 13.34kw

How did you manage to export anything given that you have such a big battery?

I'm considering a change in the future from my Pylontech batteries, to a DIY build using recycled Leaf cells. I could switch from the 4.8kWh PylonTech I have, to about 6kWh of Leaf battery without much extra cost as I can sell the PylonTechs to fund the cells, BMS & install. I would then be able to expand that DIY system for a cost of around €60/kWh rather than about €330/kWh to add more PylonTech 2.4kWh modules.

Advertisement