Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Pear Clondalkin to close

Options
  • 03-06-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭

https://echo.ie/clondalkin/article/happy-pear-to-close

Because of covid losses apparently.
    Hopefully something decent goes in there. It's a nice location with the garden out beside the round tower. TBH, I'm not a fan of the happy pear's food, or the place in general, but it was good to have a busy place in that location. Can't imagine they were too busy during the week though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I think they are using Covid as an excuse, it was never that busy except after Parkrun. Like above not a fan of the food, always cold and coffee not nice. All other coffee shops opened with take away once they could but not happy pear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

It had been locally rumored to be on the ropes for awhile now since they closed up the actual shop inside, it was never busy like when it first opened and as above food also wasn't great the couple of times I went. I know a lot of people who tried it once and wouldn't go back but would eat regularly from other local cafes, I think covid just gave them the excuse to cut losses and get outta dodge.

Lots of talk of the east village taking a shot at it which wouldn't be bad as the current shop is small, I'd much rather see someone local in than the likes of one of the big chains ie starbucks. Its still a lovely spot and still has great potential in the right hands, I just hope someone does make a good go at it and its not left empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

These first few posts show the real story here.

Most people tried it once and didn’t really enjoy it. We’d be the same.

The space does have potential so fingers crossed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

East Village were apparently contacted about taking the space at a reduced rate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's a new place going in on Monastery road, where the school uniform shop used to be. Think its a Moroccan theme to the food.

• Advertisement

Well, the new place on Monastery Road is open and really nice. Small menu, had a falafel wrap and a sort of big samosa called a brik, which had potato and eggs in it. Really nice and something different which is badly needed in clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will they be closing in Greystones?

Can't stand them and the peeps that go there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's very unlikely, that store is viable without their media personalities as it is.

Vegan Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

L1011 wrote: »
    That's very unlikely, that store is viable without their media personalities as it is.

Vegan Jedward.

Suppose one can only hope... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

East Village were apparently contacted about taking the space at a reduced rate

Happy Pear were paying a reduced rate, subsidised by SDCC so presumably new operators will get the same deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,072 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's your problem? Are you wishing for their business to go bust?

Never mind those media horny self loving twins, but the shop in Greystones is low profile, it's popular, and they provide good quality and tasty vegan food for reasonable money in a nice setting. The staff are really nice and friendly too. I am one of the peeps that go there. I guess you can't stand me either?

And to be clear, I am no vegan or vegetarian.

Yeah, the food wouldn't be my thing, but I definitely don't want them gone from any location. The easter egg hunt was good too.
    East Village going there would be interesting, there was a thread on boards about that starting out which was a good read. Very nice coffee in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

L1011 wrote: »

Vegan Jedward.

Saw Houmous Jedward trending on twitter the other day. Turned out to be in reference to this pair. They're very annoying.

I'm vegetarian but I've never tried Happy Pear so can't judge the quality. I just wouldn't be bothered with the one in Clondalkin and the one in Greystones is too busy any time I've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Vegan Jedward sounds a bit cumbersome.
    Just call then Vegward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Heroditas wrote: »
    Vegan Jedward sounds a bit cumbersome.
    Just call then Vegward.

That just about sums them up perfectly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had somehow convinced myself I'd come up with Vegan Jedward (years ago now, around their first TV apperances), then searched twitter and realised I'd probably read it there and not noticed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My bus from work used to go past it, looked pretty empty most of time.
    Shame as location is lovely.
    They come across as prats and found food very hit and miss when I was in the original place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I live nearby. Went there once. Was ok at best, never went back again. I'm sure most other local residents felt the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Looking forward to trying new cafe on Monastery Road.

I live about two minutes from the Green Corner Cafe. Coffee is nice but had the Burger and chips and didn't think much of it.

Hopefully the menu will be expanded before long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I live nearby. Went there once. Was ok at best, never went back again. I'm sure most other local residents felt the same.

Same as that, went there once, wasnt overly impressed. Never went back.

messrs wrote: »
    Same as that, went there once, wasnt overly impressed. Never went back.

That's the problem with a franchise being far removed from its owner operators.

Local talk is of East Village possibly acquiring.

Happy Pear received huge subsidised rent apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,072 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The food wasn't to the same standard as what was supposed to be the exact same food on the same menu in Greystones. The staff weren't as interested as in Greystones and tbh the whole place felt more like a canteen. And the surrounds were not as happy as the ones in Greystones, right beside the sea. Not the best experience to put it mildly.

I like my meat. And my fish. But I'm a bit of a fan of the Happy Pear concept. I feel I should make more effort to at least occasionally eat vegan or vegetarian. For my own health and more so for the good of us all. But my (single) experience in Clondalkin Happy Pear was like all of yours. OK, but it wouldn't entice me to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Enjoying a big juicy beef burger while reading this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm in the minority but not a fan of East Village, like most tried the happy pear once and was very disappointed. Would love a Claires type restaurant in there but I supoose its more set up for a cafe. East Village probably has the footfall and loyalty to do well there though to be fair.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm in the minority but not a fan of East Village, like most tried the happy pear once and was very disappointed. Would love a Claires type restaurant in there but I supoose its more set up for a cafe. East Village probably has the footfall and loyalty to do well there though to be fair.

Funny enough I m not a fan either.

Same here. Wanted to like it but didn't. Can't understand the success to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cienciano wrote: »
    Same here. Wanted to like it but didn't. Can't understand the success to be honest.

Well it's closed down so there was no success...

anewme wrote: »
    Local talk is of East Village possibly acquiring.

East Village have confirmed they're taking over on their Instagram page. I wish them the best of luck, I rather east village to happy pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Delighted to see that news this evening.

Advertisement