Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trends that you used to be lame but are now in

Options
  • 30-08-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Wearing band t-shirts used to be for middle aged fat rockers, now it's cool and young and trendy to wear a band t-shirt

Playing computer games in adulthood. It used to be seen as strange if a man played playstation past 18 but now it seems commonplace

Grown men liking superheroes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Wearing band t-shirts used to be for middle aged fat rockers, now it's cool and young and trendy to wear a band t-shirt

Playing computer games in adulthood. It used to be seen as strange if a man played playstation past 18 but now it seems commonplace

Grown men liking superheroes

Most people form their interests from an early age, these interests are been catered to by big corporations so it makes sense. The people in band t shorts now while grow into the old people you mentioned and then it will fall out of fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's a band t-shirt? ( edit, oh a rock band, duh.)

My adult friend and I used to enjoy playing a golf game on Playstation. Competing against each other. And I love Tomb Raider, but not an avid gamer.

I don't think grown men like superheros per se, it's the movies they like. Bit of an X-Men movie fan myself. Many superhero movie are in fact pure garbage it has to said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Lamé is making a comeback this season I see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Beards.

Used to be only old men, smelly rockers and Geography teachers/Sinn Fein leaders who sported the full face warmer.

Now it’s every second man. Although I think the trend has peaked and Is starting to die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've always been into music, going to gigs since I was a teenager but I've never worn a band t-shirt. My friend who usually goes to gigs with me nearly always buys a band t-shirt at a gig, and he's 50 now. Different people are into different stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The computer games thing is a newer one all right. I'm mid thirties and would have been part of one of the first generations of home console owners (in Ireland, at least) from the time I was 6 or 7 years old. I grew up with them, to me they're as normal as going to see a movie. I'll always be into gaming, on some level.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Wearing band t shirts has always been the hip thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tattoos. Where considered only for scumbags and now everyone has their unique tribal or sleeve tat. Can't wait till they go back out of fashion, it's not the 1st time having tats is popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'll always be into gaming, on some level.

:pac: o o o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

At least us middle aged fat rockers actually know the bands that are on our t-shirts. Was talking to a friends daughter recently.....she's about 19 or so. Commented on her Ramones t-shirt - she hadn't a feckin clue who they were!

I still have my battle vest and would wear it with pride if there were any gigs to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Battle Vest :D:D:D

Reminds me of Saxondale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

KungPao wrote: »
    Beards.

Used to be only old men, smelly rockers and Geography teachers/Sinn Fein leaders who sported the full face warmer.

Now it’s every second man. Although I think the trend has peaked and Is starting to die off.

beards make everyone look the same, especially fat guys with beards. There is a guy who i cant stand, a fat guy with a beard, so i keep thinking i see him everywhere but its just another fat guy with a beard lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Penney's were selling Ramone's t-shirts worn by young ones who wouldn't be able to name one of their songs, about 15 years ago. I think you're a bit late to the party with the band t-shirts being cool for youths again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lord of the Rings was for nerds only before the films came out.
    Same with GOT. Although a lot of fans of the series and films don't bother reading the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've worn band t-shirts since I was a young teenager and I still do. In fact, I probably have more t-shirts/long-sleeves than I do pairs of jocks as this stage.

Music is a big part of my life and the band t shirts go hand in hand for me, so I hope my interest in them doesn't fade "as i get older"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Home brew. When my da used to it many years ago, it was because it was cheaper than buying beer, not because he like the microparticles that infused in it under the stairs.

Big tin of brown gooey stuff, some white powder and about 80 litres of water in a big drum, leave to fester in a dark place for six months, then bottle it in whatever you can find including beerbottles, jam jars and pickled onion jars . Best served with a grimace and a full ashtray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I've worn band t-shirts since I was a young teenager and I still do. In fact, I probably have more t-shirts/long-sleeves than I do pairs of jocks as this stage.

Music is a big part of my life and the band t shirts go hand in hand for me, so I hope my interest in them doesn't fade "as i get older"

I found the fact you could buy Metallica tees in Penneys a couple years ago beyond depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A lot of trendy young women are knitting now, that used to be the preserve of the little old lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Lads wearing earrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I found the fact you could buy Metallica tees in Penneys a couple years ago beyond depressing.

I agree with you there, nothing worse than seeing a classic metal/rock band become part of popular fashion.

• Advertisement

Penney's were selling Ramone's t-shirts worn by young ones who wouldn't be able to name one of their songs, about 15 years ago. I think you're a bit late to the party with the band t-shirts being cool for youths again.

Do you mean Penney's was selling Ramones tshirts 15 years ago? Because I saw some in Penney's about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Jedward haircuts and huge quiffs ...very tight jeans for men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Chunky Caterpillar eyebrows are now in. Have been for a few years I guess at this point. I don't understand it. What was wrong with the 90's eyebrow.

Same with GOT. Although a lot of fans of the series and films don't bother reading the books.
    I read a bit of the hobbit ...honestly it seemed like they were in a forest for the entire book and that was it. That was the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's cuz they know the ending.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Chunky Caterpillar eyebrows are now in. Have been for a few years I guess at this point. I don't understand it. What was wrong with the 90's eyebrow.
    A lot of young girls have thick eyebrows and long term plucking actually ruins them permanently. So for them the trend was a necessity. But then girls with thinner eyebrows started drawing them in ...in that overly blocked way....some are getting a better hang of it now.

But if you don't have naturally bushy brows its harder to do.

Also a lot of MUAS told older women it will make them look younger which is bs ...being younger makes you look younger.

Its a trend tho ..it will change. Hopefully people will just go with what their own brows do tho instead of messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nothing, and I mean nothing, looks more stupid on a woman’s face than changing her eyebrows From natural to bushy/HD/etc etc etc.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, looks more stupid on a woman’s face than changing her eyebrows From natural to bushy/HD/etc etc etc.
    that makes us wanna do it more though

it suits some girls ..not me tho...my brows are naturally thinish..maybe when i am middle aged i will be bald there!

veganism .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

that makes us wanna do it more though

WHY? That doesn’t make sense.

Advertisement