Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

202 Hyundai Kona brake failure

Options
  • 28-08-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭

Just a word of warning if you own, or know anybody that owns a Hyundai Kona.
    I have a 1.6.d model, brand new about 3 weeks old.

On Wednesday as I approached a roundabout and braked, the brake pedal juddered, gave way, and went all the way to the floor.
    The brakes had failed completely and the kona failed to slow down or stop.
    Luckily there was no traffic on or approaching the roundabout as I entered.
    I exited the roundabout and put on my hazard lights.
    I continued to press the brake pedal to try and work out what had happened but the brakes had completely failed and were not working at all.

Fortunately I was very close to the garage I got the vehicle from when this happened so I drove there slowly with hazard lights on and informed the staff there as to what had just occurred.

One of the mechanics had a look at the van and immediately noticed that the driver's side wheel and tyre were stained with quite a lot of brake fluid.
    There was also a small pool of brake fluid under the van.

After inspecting inside the wheel arch, the mechanic noticed that a rubber brake pipe that was supposed to be bolted to the van body had come loose.
    The brake pipe had then landed on top of the driveshaft which caused it to become frayed and damaged.
    He said that when I braked at the roundabout. the damaged brake pipe burst causing all the brake fluid to be expelled from the system and the brakes to fail.

The garage has since replaced the damaged brake pipe and checked all the relevant bolts are tightened to the correct torque.

They think the bolt was not tightened correctly in the factory during production.
    Such a simple error could have had far more serious consequences.
    They said they had never heard of this happening before and would be compiling a report for Hyundai.
    Hopefully a one off occurence but just putting it out there as a precaution to any other kona drivers.

EDIT: Photo added

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

The PCP brigade wont like this story - one of their justifications for stretching to get a brand new vehicle is safety

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I hope you made sure they did a complete overview of the car. Not catching that is a serious failure of QA from the Hyundai side.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

thank god you are ok and a dreadful/frightening situation to find yourself in. Interesting to see what Hyundai have to say and i would certainly be looking for some compensation in whatever form , but a "its all sorted now" wouldn't wash with me.

so much for a through PDI ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically on most cars, there is 2 mostly separate systems. One does 2 wheels, other does other 2 wheels. As in front left and back right, and front right and back left. If fluid leaks from one system, you still have 2 wheels to stop car.

However in this situation the pedal will still go very soft and you may need to pump the brake pedal multiple times. After multiple pumps on brake pedal did you get some braking? Could you stop car on electronic handbrake/ emergency brake?

https://www.carcontacts.com/Reading/car-repair/brakes/How-Do-Car-Brakes-Work.aspx

Hoses fraying on old cars does happen, but you should not lose all ability to stop. Imagine at motorway speeds...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

McCrack wrote: »
    The PCP brigade wont like this story - one of their justifications for stretching to get a brand new vehicle is safety

Irish begrudgery, the best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No handbrake?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hopefully it's a one off as there are a load of these coming into service with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭furiousox

Multiple pumping on the brake pedal during and after the incident had no effect at all.
    Brakes were completely gone (possibly dry of brake fluid?)
    Not sure about hand-brake tbh, I didn't have time to react when it happened but I think it may have worked when I parked up at the garage.

CPL 593H

Looks like something similar has happened before.
    Very poor practice if they haven't addressed it.

http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Hyundai&model=Kona&gen=1609

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If this was a regular occurrence it would have been all over the news/social media by now.

Thankfully the OP is OK and it happened close to a Hyundai garage but as said above, I would be expecting a little more from them than what they have said already. Something was missed during PDI that needs to be rectified and procedures in the garage should be reviewed/changed as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

bazz26 wrote: »
    Irish begrudgery, the best in the world.

A 1.6 kona? I think you need to broaden your horizons if you think my post was in some way begrudgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Miscreant wrote: »
    If this was a regular occurrence it would have been all over the news/social media by now.

Thankfully the OP is OK and it happened close to a Hyundai garage but as said above, I would be expecting a little more from them than what they have said already. Something was missed during PDI that needs to be rectified and procedures in the garage should be reviewed/changed as a result.
    A PDI doesn't cover every single but and bolt on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭mk7r

I would be looking for a new wheel and tyre also, brake fluid is highly corrosive and even a few minutes exposure will have done damage to the paint/rubber

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 1.6 kona? I think you need to broaden your horizons if you think my post was in some way begrudgery

Maybe your the one who needs to broaden your horizons by making an appointment with a surgeon to have that big PCP begrudging chip on your shoulder removed.

Vehicle was bought outright, not on PCP.

CPL 593H

Who cares how it's bought or if it's a rental or a Garda car.... I'd be more worried is this a fault across this model....

Seriously any car to have such brake failure is crazy and more so something brand new....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

No handbrake?

Not sure what handbrake is in the Kona but in my Avensis its electric/electronic. Only works when the wheels are not rotating. Absolutely no use in an emergency.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Not that it should happen at all, but just to note in this scenario you need to let the pedal come up fully to let fluid back into the system from the reservoir, and then press it again.

No use in an emergency, but will provide braking power over a longer period.

Not that it should happen at all, but just to note in this scenario you need to let the pedal come up fully to let fluid back into the system from the reservoir, and then press it again.

No use in an emergency, but will provide braking power over a longer period.

All the fluid burst out.... Pull electronic handbrake and keep it pulled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You really seem to have a bee in your bonnet regarding pcp. What's it to you? You jelly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Car manufacturers get away with less these days because of social media. Renault had a fault years ago in one of their models where the drivers air bag would go off without reason. If it happened to you, they'd tell you, 'never heard of that happening before'. Took some years to own up.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I had a master break cylinder failing on a 3-week old golf a few years ago. This wasn’t fun as it failed during an emergency break avoiding a pedestrian running across the road. A flatbed and 2 weeks waiting for a part in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I had a master break cylinder failing on a 3-week old golf a few years ago. This wasn’t fun as it failed during an emergency break avoiding a pedestrian running across the road. A flatbed and 2 weeks waiting for a part in the garage.

Brake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hopefully it's a one off as there are a load of these coming into service with the Gardai.

They are already in service with AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Brake

Autocorrect:)

kravmaga wrote: »

Yes indeed they are I've seen quite a few.

It's the tucson and Kona that are now coming with alloys like back in 2014 on the i30 and some i40 but then went back to steelies....

Autocorrect:)

Have a kit kat ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

kravmaga wrote: »

Ford must have dirtier the bib badly with the Guards

Ford must have dirtier the bib badly with the Guards

No it was oh Hyundai are cheap let's buy buy and buy some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Miscreant wrote: »

Not every single part, nut, bolt, clip, etc is checked during a pdi. You cant spend that much time doing a pdi on a car just because one part failed on one car

Advertisement