Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

I'm coming towards the end of braces and wondering with black triangles, are the bonding to fix these included or are these extra costs. Would it be more cost effective to request IPR instead and try close the gaps that way?

Just wondering what the general consensus would be with the bonding costs, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ebayissues

Quick one for you guys. It's been a fee weeks that I've gotten braces now and I've brushed immediately after dinner.

A few days ago after having a curry noticed a green spot on top of my bottom molars on each side. Again after having a curry last night those same molars had green discoloration.

After vigorously brushing the green color were still there and faded lightly. Tonight after brushing they became greener.

I've brushed immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner. So hygiene wise is okay. Any thoughts on what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

ebayissues wrote: »
    Quick one for you guys. It's been a fee weeks that I've gotten braces now and I've brushed immediately after dinner.

A few days ago after having a curry noticed a green spot on top of my bottom molars on each side. Again after having a curry last night those same molars had green discoloration.

After vigorously brushing the green color were still there and faded lightly. Tonight after brushing they became greener.

I've brushed immediately after breakfast, lunch and dinner. So hygiene wise is okay. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Sounds like gangrene! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

ebayissues wrote: »

I would say it's discolouration from the colourings in the curry, staining your bonding (White 'cement' that binds the brace to teeth), you can get a tablet form of a kind of hygiene bleach in most pharamacies. Your best bet is to call your Ortho and ask what they recommend to remove the discolouration. Failing that, they may be putting new bonding on when you go for your next visit and may ask you to wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Got my braces off this morning, can't stop smiling (or looking at my teeth!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Re invisalign : what was your interval between changing aligners? 10days? 2weeks?

I have been told to change at ten day intervals.

Is this the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

The lips wrote: »
    Re invisalign : what was your interval between changing aligners? 10days? 2weeks?

I have been told to change at ten day intervals.

Is this the norm?

The first 5 aligners, I changed every 14 days, now aligners 6 to 11, I change every 7 days. Don now how long the remaining ones will be for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoffeeAnathema

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    I would say it's discolouration from the colourings in the curry, staining your bonding (White 'cement' that binds the brace to teeth), you can get a tablet form of a kind of hygiene bleach in most pharamacies. Your best bet is to call your Ortho and ask what they recommend to remove the discolouration. Failing that, they may be putting new bonding on when you go for your next visit and may ask you to wait until then.

That stuff can be stained?! That never even occurred to me.

Do you know if coffee (as in almost marathonial amounts throughout the day :p ) would do the same? or do any damage to braces in general? :eek:

That stuff can be stained?! That never even occurred to me.

Do you know if coffee (as in almost marathonial amounts throughout the day :p ) would do the same? or do any damage to braces in general? :eek:

For Aligners (Invisalign), I was recommended to stay away from Tea, Coffee, Juices etc as much as possible. the first time, I didn't really drink much of any of that stuff, but second treatment was harder as I became a tea addict. I definitely noticed and notice still, the staining from tea. Yes coffee stains the teeth, braces etc. With Invisalign, you need to remove the aligners anyway to drink, but yes they get stained and hold the stains (obviously closer to the teeth). This also stains the bonding and can do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got my invisalign fitted 4 weeks ago, got 1 front tooth last week.

All was going well until today, I was back for the brackets. I got a lot fitted, 8 top and bottom. (yup my teeth are bad!)

Taking off the braces is very very painful at the minute, and difficult. If one side pops up it can cause a lot of pain if the other side doesn't come loose.
    will this die down when I get used to them or will it be this bad every 2 weeks when I change to another set.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »

All was going well until today, I was back for the brackets. I got a lot fitted, 8 top and bottom. (yup my teeth are bad!)

Taking off the braces is very very painful at the minute, and difficult. If one side pops up it can cause a lot of pain if the other side doesn't come loose.
    will this die down when I get used to them or will it be this bad every 2 weeks when I change to another set.

I had a lot of pain with the first ones until I got used to them. You can buy wax in pharmacies that helps to ease. With set 2 onwards I just had a lot of pressure with every new set for 2-3 days. You get used to it pretty quick.

Don't remove one side only, remove both sides together, as they can break easily.

Tip: Don't throw out previous set when you move on to the next. If you loose one you can go back to previous until you get to the Ortho.

I had a lot of pain with the first ones until I got used to them. You can buy wax in pharmacies that helps to ease. With set 2 onwards I just had a lot of pressure with every new set for 2-3 days. You get used to it pretty quick.

Don't remove one side only, remove both sides together, as they can break easily.

Tip: Don't throw out previous set when you move on to the next. If you loose one you can go back to previous until you get to the Ortho.

What does the wax do? any idea of the name?

I take both sides out together but when you unclip them at the back it causes a lot of pain at the front.

I didn't look after them enough and im paying for it now, a lot of fillings and very sensitive teeth which isn't helping.

Need to stock up on a decent generic pain killer. Solpadeine will break the bank at €9 per box :pac:

What does the wax do? any idea of the name?

I take both sides out together but when you unclip them at the back it causes a lot of pain at the front.

I didn't look after them enough and im paying for it now, a lot of fillings and very sensitive teeth which isn't helping.

Need to stock up on a decent generic pain killer. Solpadeine will break the bank at €9 per box :pac:

Yes, this does settle after 2-3 days, but you will still get this with each new tray. Always took me 2-3 days just to adjust to the tighter tray and wear them in a bit to make them less uncomfortable. Whatever you do, keep them in as long as possible throughout the day and night. I found if I kept removing them it just made it worse.

I think the one I used was Sonic wax, it just stops irritation and stops the uncomfortable feeling. I got mine in the US. But you can get it here in normal chemists. My local one even has it. Just ask for Orthodontic wax and they'll be able to show you. I only used it a few times.

Yes, this does settle after 2-3 days, but you will still get this with each new tray. Always took me 2-3 days just to adjust to the tighter tray and wear them in a bit to make them less uncomfortable. Whatever you do, keep them in as long as possible throughout the day and night. I found if I kept removing them it just made it worse.

I think the one I used was Sonic wax, it just stops irritation and stops the uncomfortable feeling. I got mine in the US. But you can get it here in normal chemists. My local one even has it. Just ask for Orthodontic wax and they'll be able to show you. I only used it a few times.

I'll have a look for it.

I take them out max 3 times a day, great tool for a diet to avoid snacking.
    I prefer keeping them in, the attachments are very rough and catch and scratch my gums when they're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Giulio456

hi all,
    could someone please PM details for a good honestly-priced orthodontist in/around Dublin?
    also, i was told that north of the border prices can be much lower than here, does anyone have any experience with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thebrook

Hi All, I have a quick question about adult braces. I’ve had them now since October to correct a crossbite and close some small gaps, nothing major. I have noticed now I have developed a posterior open bite. I have a feeling it has been there a while I just never realised how open it actually was. My question is will this correct itself and my molars grow down? I have googled and watched many videos but most seem to correct with elastics but my issue is I only have my top arch in braces. My bottom teeth are perfect so will not be having braces there. I was only at my orthodontist 2 days ago and completely forgot to ask and called up today but he is away for 3 weeks and I’m not back for another 6 weeks and it is really bugging me now if or how it will close 🀔 I’m too impatient to wait 3/6 weeks to ask ! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

Hey guys
    Anyone with experience of getting braces in Cork who could direct to the best payment option available. Down payment and monthly installments etc, apperaciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bruno1982

I’m trying to decide the best approach for my crowded lower teeth - upper arch slightly off but I could live with that, lower front teeth increasingly overlapping.

For braces, I’ve been told I’d need extractions to make space. I was in so much shock at the idea that I forgot to ask details so I’d like to hear people’s experiences. I believe it’s the premolars that would be taken. How painful are these extractions? What’s the healing time? How long must you leave until the braces are fitted? Did you find it noticeable? I’ve just about come to terms with the idea of wearing visible braces; I’m not sure I could handle a lengthy period of visibly having lost teeth too.

And is the general consensus to go for full-on treatment - so traditional metal braces, for the full period by an orthodontist? I’ve been told that my bite is well aligned and it really only is cosmetic. But it seems like all of the inconvenience, pain and social impact is in getting braces at all, so best to get the full job when doing it?

Bruno1982 wrote: »
    I’m trying to decide the best approach for my crowded lower teeth - upper arch slightly off but I could live with that, lower front teeth increasingly overlapping.

For braces, I’ve been told I’d need extractions to make space. I was in so much shock at the idea that I forgot to ask details so I’d like to hear people’s experiences. I believe it’s the premolars that would be taken. How painful are these extractions? What’s the healing time? How long must you leave until the braces are fitted? Did you find it noticeable? I’ve just about come to terms with the idea of wearing visible braces; I’m not sure I could handle a lengthy period of visibly having lost teeth too.

And is the general consensus to go for full-on treatment - so traditional metal braces, for the full period by an orthodontist? I’ve been told that my bite is well aligned and it really only is cosmetic. But it seems like all of the inconvenience, pain and social impact is in getting braces at all, so best to get the full job when doing it?

Have you checked about getting invisalign instead of conventional braces, or get a second opinion?
    One orthodontist said invisalign wouldn't be possible and I needed 4 teeth out, the second said it was possible and only removed 1 tooth.

I had a bottom front tooth taken out and It wasn't visible when I had the trays in. Ive had mine in since October and the gap is fully closed. Really noticeable difference all around so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

So one of my clear nightime retainers broke over the weekend, did anyone get them remade?

How much did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’ve just started Invisalign Go today, very excited!. I only have 9 trays so I hope I’m finished quickly. I had conventional braces (extractions etc) about 8 years ago but about a year or two ago my toddler stood on my retainer and broke it, and two front teeth shifted in a mad direction, despite also having fixed retainers. Wear your retainers folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Hi everyone. First, thanks to everyone who posted over the years in this thread, it has been really helpful to look over.

I have what I considered to be a minor issue with my front two teeth becoming misaligned over the last few years. I went to an orthodontist in Dublin and was quoted 4200e for invisalign over 18 months.

That was much higher a price than I expected. I searched online and found 'Smile Love'... Seems similar to Invalign but all done online/via post. A friend of a friend is doing similar but with 'Your Smile Direct'.

I am at the deciding-if-I-really-need-this stage and 4k is a lot of money for something that is purely aesthetic. Any advice/recommendations for Dublin (or nearby) orthodontists are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I got Invisalign Go which only really focuses on the front and it’s 2500

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm hettjn Invisalign fitted on Monday. Costing €3200 in total. I'll be using them for 6 months.

The improvement is drastic on my bottom teeth which are really crowded. the top teeth won't be aligned as well as I had hoped but it will be a big improvement.

I'm looking forward to the experience.

I have mine off already, just less than a year, they were very happy with the movement and I was happy to get them off, they're not perfect but they're 10 times better than what they were.
    I needed them because I was really crowded down the bottom, my dentist couldn't clean them properly even.
    I will say I was very fed up of them coming near the end. I was dreading another 6 months of wearing them. It does get annoying taking them in and out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Just reading through this thread.

I was quoted 900 euros for ceramic braces on my lower teeth, which seems incredibly cheap as most people here have received quotes in excess of 3,500 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread.

I was quoted 900 euros for ceramic braces on my lower teeth, which seems incredibly cheap as most people here have received quotes in excess of 3,500 euros?

That seems very little. I paid 4,200 for mine (although mine were ceramic on top and metal on the bottom). I know I could have got them for less by shopping around but I was very happy with the orthodontist and her office is five minutes from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

kyomi wrote: »
    That seems very little. I paid 4,200 for mine (although mine were ceramic on top and metal on the bottom). I know I could have got them for less by shopping around but I was very happy with the orthodontist and her office is five minutes from my house.
    Hi Kyomi,

Yes it does seem very cheap which has me a little worried - and these are ceramic!

This orthodontist has a great reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cant even username rn

Hi there. I have an issue that I'm hoping is ok to post here: the only other thread I could find on it was 10 years old and I didn't want to necro it. Also, I am getting more panicked by the second, so bear with me.

I started my invisalign process last year - I'm on my ~20th set, in fact. They are intended to correct a bottom middel incisor that juts far ahead of the rest of them. With the last few sets (all during the lockdown), I've had some increasing discomfort from a kind of "spike" made by the relevant part of my aligners where my gum meets the bottom of my mouth. This has just intensified, as the entire piece of gum just under the incisor I've mentioned is gone! It's like it's been worn away through wearing the aligners. Then again, it's also not bleeding or that hugely painful.

I now need to know if this is worth bothering my dentist's office (although I don't even know if it's operating) or emergency dental staff with. The tooth is kind of painful if I press on it, and the lack of gum gives the impression that I'm at more of a risk of losing it now. Then again, I am not looking forward to what they'd say (I'm very afraid it might make heavy use of the word "graft") or in what respect they're going to tell me this is my fault. On that note, I'm not seeing the orthodontist until the end of July, and I'm not looking forward to what he might say either.

Thanks for reading :) (ow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 aallaann9003

Hi I am looking into getting adult braces. Preferably Invisalign braces.
    Iv heard that it can be cheaper up in Northern Ireland.

Has anyone any experience getting work done up there. or someone to recommend.

Thanks

Advertisement