Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Moneys being made, so the shareholders wont care.

But as Punk said, he could have been a much richer man had he made better decisions over the years.

My own view is wrestling is suffering because if a few reasons.

Its stale, nothing really new has happened in the last decade. Lots of rehashing different angles with new personnel. Plus a LOT of garbage tv

An over reliance on older, past their prime stars. In most cases poor use of older big names..... such as Goldberg used to squash Bray instead of opposite way.

One big factor is that kids arent watching. Most people not watching wrestling think of violence and adult storylines ehich wre prominent 20 years ago. While Cena and others did there best to bring kids in, sadly not enough watch.

In the UK, WWE is on a niche channel, BT Sports, which is unavilable in most homes. Those who do are older males mostly. Kids have no access to it.

The kids, globally who have access, are by n large not able to access it because there parents wont let them, and probably rightly so.

Look at WWE in the last year, on normal nights you have wrestlers jumping off heights, performing dangerous moves and being violent in general. Parents dont want kids to watch and with good reason. On a bad night, we get graphic eye injuries, horrible cuckold angles unsuitable fot kids and people thrown off titan towers or buried alive.

WWE can market themselves at kids all they want but their priduct is violence oriented and most parents wont want their kids watching.

The 80s and 90s are long gone. WWE is in a decline because their old audience is sick of the same tripe and their product doesnt appeal to new viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Purrazzo yes she probably would have considering her runs in TNA,ROH and Shimmer before even going to NXT and being pretty much wasted the girl has real in ring talent.

Brodie had a very good rep before he entered the WWE as well it was the reason the WWE signed him.

Heath and Ryder are pretty much WWE homegrown talent so that is unfair to say no one would care about then since nether really worked outside the WWE to give anyone a chance to see what they can do outside the WWE bubble.

To me I knew Purrazzo as basically local talent who appeared on the occasional NXT or Impact and lost. I remembered the name and the Ferrari gear.
    And I don't mean no one cares in a bad way, though I guess hard to take it any other way. :) Just meant the exposure by WWE helped them. Like look at Elsworth. He can charge a lot more for appearances than someone more talented who has never been in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

After the numbers today it's impossible for anyone who made the argument "WWE had to cut costs" when they released over a hundred people at the start of the pandemic to not take an L. Everyone knew because of their TV contracts this was to be their most profitable year ever no matter what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

After the numbers today it's impossible for anyone who made the argument "WWE had to cut costs" when they released over a hundred people at the start of the pandemic to not take an L. Everyone knew because of their TV contracts this was to be their most profitable year ever no matter what happened.

They had to make cuts if they wanted to make more money. Its a moral free company. Its business.

To be fair, the long term future of WWE is uncertain..... so maybe they are making cuts now to ensure profits stay big in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just because Q2 figures were strong the company could know of bad times ahead into 2021

cuts did need to happen but it was completely ****ty time to do it which i should think everyone should agrees upon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

beakerjoe wrote: »
    They had to make cuts if they wanted to make more money. Its a moral free company. Its business.

To be fair, the long term future of WWE is uncertain..... so maybe they are making cuts now to ensure profits stay big in 5 years time.

If they wanted to make money? They made money. They could run shows all year without a single fan attending and they're still due to have the most profitable year of any company in the history of wrestling. That's a fact.

And firing 100 people at the start of a pandemic to ensure profitability in 5 years time when there's no indication of their TV deals decreasing (it's been trending upwards for a long time so going by that pattern the indication would've been for an increase not a decrease) is an argument that doesn't hold up.

I do agree though, it's a morale free company.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rusev/Miro's Twitch career is over as they banned him from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rusev/Miro's Twitch career is over as they banned him from the site.

Hold your horses, it's a 1 day ban apparently...

https://twitter.com/ToBeMiro/status/1289019999818899456

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MLW have releasing there MLW Underground shows from their first incarnation in the early '00's on Youtube every week, Some great matches to watch.

Joey Styles calling the shows.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNL6Rxxy-LtEdwH3YPbVS2g

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seen clips on Reddit of Gallows and Anderson's show that they put on in a field. That's the most entertaining stuff they've done in years, possibly ever.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is that the worst pov ever stuff? Worth watching then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Depends on what you're into.

It's incredibly meta and smarky. If you enjoy Talk n' Shop you'll like it. If you're hoping for a wrestling show you're going to be incredibly let down. It's like Southpaw Regional Wrestling in it's style of humour.

I found it funny but could totally see certain people hating it. It's like an hour and a half of skits and wrestling jokes and commentary.
    Even calling it a PPV is almost misleading.

It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. Some clips to give you an idea...

https://streamable.com/x6tvyt

https://streamable.com/r8ygcy

https://streamable.com/r8ygcy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They had
    Enzo Amore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's funny you mention MLW as I came across some old 2003 stuff on YouTube tonight.

For those who never watched it or have no intention to watch it they tried so hard to be an ECW clone. I never knew this until tonight.

It was too the point they used the same "VHS static feed" complete with the same sound effect between segments. They also had not only Joey Styles but Joey in front of a big MLW banner totally and exactly like ECW between matches.

I understand they were trying to fill a hole in the market after ECW closed. But they emulated that too much to the point you can see why they originally folded before bringing the promotion back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

MLW now has some of the best wrestling story lines along with in ring product going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ThePott wrote: »
    Depends on what you're into.

It's incredibly meta and smarky. If you enjoy Talk n' Shop you'll like it. If you're hoping for a wrestling show you're going to be incredibly let down. It's like Southpaw Regional Wrestling in it's style of humour.

I found it funny but could totally see certain people hating it. It's like an hour and a half of skits and wrestling jokes and commentary.
    Even calling it a PPV is almost misleading.

The bits I saw did remind me of Southpaw a lot, ( especially considering who they are obviously) which was something I enjoyed a lot at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I used to like MLW when it came up on the wrestling channel. Steve Corino always stood out for me in it. I believe they had a war games match at one stage, blew my young mind

The wrestling channel was great to be fair, i discovered a while new world of wrestling. I was o my ever exposed to WCW and WWE. Heard legends of ECW.

Then TWC came and boom AJ Styles v Johnny Storm in FWA, Johnny Sotrm v Jody Fleisch, CZW, NJPW super J Cup, TNA ultimate x matches, Cage of Death matches, Scramble cage matches in ROH with Jack Evans doing 720 moondaults and a Big push for FWA British Uprising, I believe it had Joe V CM Punk on the card.

I was obsessed with wrestling back then, magazines, games , figures, anything i could get my hand on. But that has waned significantly since maybe I have just grown out of it.

Spoiled by big time production values and becoming desensitized by constant high spots nothing seems to impress me anymore, i believe the last thing to make me go holy **** was Darby Allins coffin drop on the apron and Cody V Goldust match was probably the last real wrestling match I have truly enjoyed and was captivated by (boneyard wasn't really a wrestling match)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And to the shock of nobody.
    - Many analysts feel that WWE’s future negotiations for the television rights fees for Raw and Smackdown will be substantially lower than the figures they signed with FOX and USA on the current deal. WWE has already had to renew some international TV deals at significantly less money and the belief is that FOX vastly overpaid for Smackdown and went hard at Raw, forcing USA to also overpay.

-- Analysts have questioned Vince McMahon on the falling ratings, especially in the 18-49 demographic, and his reasons have gone from injuries to staying patient while the company builds new stars and now to the pandemic. Many are said to be “growing weary” of his excuses, according to the Observer Newsletter and one analyst has predicted that the television networks will pick up on the free-falling ratings and negotiate much lower rates in 2024 when the current deals expire, which will then result in a lower company value.

XFL will be back by the looks of it.

https://www.sportico.com/2020/personalities/athletes/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-buys-xfl-for-15-million-with-redbird-capital-1234610422/
    The XFL has been sold to a group that includes former WWE star Dwayne “The Rock’’ Johnson, giving the bankrupt football league the kind of star power that may draw even non-sports fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Rock & Partners have bought the XFL for $15m

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The Rock & Partners have bought the XFL for $15m

Rock bottom price too, what was Vince's original asking price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

Did the Rock buy just to hold it over Vince to keep Nia in a job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So, um.....Marty Jannetty seems to have confessed to murdering a guy.

https://i.redd.it/ag3heqg176f51.jpg

As weird as it is to say this, I hope it's a weird coke binge where's he's saying weird ****. But that reads like he's admitting to killing at least one person (if not more; "that was the very first time I made a man disappear" implies more than one...)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    So, um.....Marty Jannetty seems to have confessed to murdering a guy.

https://i.redd.it/ag3heqg176f51.jpg

As weird as it is to say this, I hope it's a weird coke binge where's he's saying weird ****. But that reads like he's admitting to killing at least one person (if not more; "that was the very first time I made a man disappear" implies more than one...)

i dont even know what to say to that

The ravings of a drug-addled mind is my guess. I'd struggle to believe any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's his followup post,

B5EMT1jCMAANnQ5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Colour me sceptical when it comes to believing a 13 year old killed an adult drug dealer and was able to hide the body and never get caught.

Also, if he murdered him on the spot, why/how was he afraid his brother would kill the guy if he found out?

Advertisement