Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify insect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are there a lot of silverfish and other species like that? Thats their food source.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thargor wrote: »
    Are there a lot of silverfish and other species like that? Thats their food source.

Oh crap really? No wonder they're under the skirtings. Actually I'm thinking of putting lots of permethrin around the perimeters of each room. That kills the lot I think, silverfish and spiders. The way I see it, the silverfish are in massive numbers and the false widows will only multiply as long as they are being fed, so the problem will never cease.

Yeah mainly crawling insects instead of flies apparently, a good hoover would be a good idea aswell, in corners and compressed spaces like skirting boards.

OMG another one, not sure about this fella but think it's a bit more normal?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

OMG another one, not sure about this fella but think it's a bit more normal?!

House spider
    Decent one at that

• Advertisement

Yep he is a good size, he got a free pass

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

caterpillar.jpg

Hi all,

came across the attached in Fermanagh yesterday; any thoughts on what type of caterpillar it might be? Apologies if it's very obvious..I have zero insect knowledge but thought it looked unusual :)

Yep he is a good size, he got a free pass
    Hows your False Widow problem?

I'm killing them when they're somewhere close to a living space or clothing or food etc, anywhere I might put a hand or bare foot by accident and attract their wrath. Much happier knowing what the hell they are! That app you have is amazing

• Advertisement

I'm killing them when they're somewhere close to a living space or clothing or food etc, anywhere I might put a hand or bare foot by accident and attract their wrath. Much happier knowing what the hell they are! That app you have is amazing

Why kill them? They won't do any harm. Theyll keep the other pests at bay.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why kill them? They won't do any harm. Theyll keep the other pests at bay.

For once, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Something that could put you or the kids in hospital and is also an invasive species? I never kill anything always trap and release but Id make an exception for these.

Something that could put you or the kids in hospital and is also an invasive species? I never kill anything always trap and release but Id make an exception for these.

Several species out there coukd potentially leave you in hospital. Its down to your reaction. A bee sting could kill you if you are allergic! Doesnt mean we go out and kill the bees now does it?
    A false widow is not aggressive that it bites randomly. Even ive held black widow spider in my hand without being bit. Theyre not a naturally aggressive species so don't worry about being bitten

Bees arent invasive and nowhere near as venomous as a False Widow though, bees are a massive plus to the ecosystem, false widows are invasive and detrimental to native species. Bees are in decline and to be protected, Id be delighted to see a hive in my garden, false widows are spreading rapidly with no real natural predators to stop them, no praying mantises or large reptiles like they'd find in their home range. I would have no problem eradicating them from my home like any other invasive species anyway, just wouldn't have them.

Bees arent invasive and nowhere near as venomous as a False Widow though, bees are a massive plus to the ecosystem, false widows are invasive and detrimental to native species. Bees are in decline and to be protected, Id be delighted to see a hive in my garden, false widows are spreading rapidly with no real natural predators to stop them, no praying mantises or large reptiles like they'd find in their home range. I would have no problem eradicating them from my home like any other invasive species anyway, just wouldn't have them.

Youre missing the point. False widow venom is not a threat. It is our bodies that take a bad reaction. Simple as. The same as a bee sting. Our bodies react different. A wasp or bee sting can kill depending on the person. You coukd be bitten 20 times and be fine. But the person beside you could be bitten once and die.

No you're missing the point, the OP doesnt want a venomous invasive species in his house and neither would I, even if it wasnt venomous I would still get rid of it purely because its an invasive species and its breeding in the house in large numbers.

No you're missing the point, the OP doesnt want a venomous invasive species in his house and neither would I, even if it wasnt venomous I would still get rid of it purely because its an invasive species and its breeding in the house in large numbers.

all spiders are venomous mate! Its how they eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Looking to ID this little spider.... False widow?

Out in back garden today...

Give it up mate, you made a stupid comparison between killing an invasive species with a nasty bite breeding in significant numbers inside their house to killing native bees, stop embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote: »
    Looking to ID this little spider.... False widow?

Out in back garden today...

Lace orb

Give it up mate, you made a stupid comparison between killing an invasive species with a nasty bite breeding in significant numbers inside their house to native bees, stop embarrassing yourself.

comparison i made is that the venom effects people different ways. Just like a bee sting! Lay off the cans and Run back to the circus mate. Must be missing you at this stage.

comparison i made is that the venom effects people different ways. Just like a bee sting! Lay off the cans and Run back to the circus mate. Must be missing you at this stage.
    You compared someone killing an invasive species breeding in their house with going out and killing native bees, dont bother lying about it on top of your stupidity:
    Several species out there coukd potentially leave you in hospital. Its down to your reaction. A bee sting could kill you if you are allergic! Doesnt mean we go out and kill the bees now does it?
    Would you leave a beehive going in your house if one got going out of interest?

You compared someone killing an invasive species breeding in their house with going out and killing native bees, dont bother lying about it on top of your stupidity:
    Would you leave a beehive going in your house if one got going out of interest?

Run along mate. Smoke that pipe of yours. Clearly you need it. Im done lowering my iq to talk to someone of your intelligence.
    Apologies to those reading this as he has clearly been triggered by me making a point he can't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Lace orb

Thanks

They are similar to the false window, are they?

What's the main difference in telling them apart?
    Or is it obvious but I'm just not seeing it.

Run along mate. Smoke that pipe of yours. Clearly you need it. Im done lowering my iq to talk to someone of your intelligence.
    Apologies to those reading this as he has clearly been triggered by me making a point he can't understand.
    Haha forgot you made that genius contribution did you? Maybe hold off on the Mensa application for another while.

Yeah go ahead OP, let the invasive spider species thats many times more venomous than our native species and lives 5 times longer breed in large numbers in your bedrooms, dont you know that native bees have venom aswell so its totally the same thing?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Thanks

They are similar to the false window, are they?

What's the main difference in telling them apart?
    Or is it obvious but I'm just not seeing it.

Stubbier darker legs and a larger abdomen. Have a few in my shed. Seems to be like a war between them and the big house spiders out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

1-0 to Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Eh, almost, but not quite all.

• Advertisement

Haha forgot you made that genius contribution did you? Maybe hold off on the Mensa application for another while.

Yeah go ahead OP, let the invasive spider species thats many times more venomous than our native species and lives 5 times longer breed in large numbers in your bedrooms, dont you know that native bees have venom aswell so its totally the same thing?

Youre a clown seriously. No read this nice and slowly so its sinks into your thick skull.
    The venom of a false widow is not toxic to kill however depending on how the persons body reacts to it. Some people have a much stronger immune system that it won't do any harm. However if someone takes an allergic reaction ti the venom it can do serious damage..... exactly like a bee sting or a wasp sting!!!
    Now if your thick skull cannot understand that then dont bother replying because I'm done dumbing myself down for a clown like you!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement