Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A few funny lines from this week.

Are we going to have a sports day this year, even though we're not at school.

Whilst listening to a few songs from The Beatles, he looks up and asks "Are they better than The Rolling Stones." I had my mouth open for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The local takeout coffee place is up and running again today, so I announced this morning that I'd be going to "John's" (name of the coffee guy)... cue 3.5 year old following a logic train.... "John's back?.... Is the coronavirus gone? Can we go see granny and granddad"

More of a bittersweet moment than a "making you smile" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

Took the stabilisers off for my 4 year old son and tried to teach him how to ride the bike. After about a half an hour of getting nowhere and plenty of frustration he eventually managed to wobble about 10 yards before falling in a heap. Delighted with himself he picks himself up shouts Yeeeeesssss and sprints back to me and say "Can we build a ramp now?"

Boys will be boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Missed out the last 11 wks with my lil 2yr old princess due to this Virus. (inc her bday)
    Got to spend short but quality time with her, walking up a set of steps and she just starts counting all the way to 12.
    Silly little thing & new to me, but I was so proud of her and gave me a hug after for cheering her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

3 year old came into us this morning, tried to get him to come into bed for a cuddle.

He says "naw, I dont like you're hairy belly"

Little bugger made me put on a tshirt before he'd get into bed with us!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

My little boy who has a severe speech delay sang twinkle little star with me at bedtime. He’s never attempted to sing before. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'll have to be more careful what I say around my son.
    The ice cream van stopped on the street behind us when we were out yesterday planting some stuff in the garden.
    I told him it was dinner time in a few minutes and he'd get some ice cream afterwards.
    "I don't mind, he's probably just selling drugs anyway".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Niger is a very unfortunate name for a country!!

I was doing a bit of geography with my 6 year old and had to explain the pronunciation and that he shouldn't ever say it the way he pronounced it. This of course lead to a very difficult conversation :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What if the girls were green and the grass was pretty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Niger is a very unfortunate name for a country!!

I was doing a bit of geography with my 6 year old and had to explain the pronunciation and that he shouldn't ever say it the way he pronounced it. This of course lead to a very difficult conversation :pac:

On a similar theme, with 2.5 year old i read him the Rosa Parks Little People Big Dreams book and on at least one occasion each day since (usually when listening to music) he will ask me, for example the Beach Boys "Are they brown or are they white?"

The nice thing is he doesnt seem to bothered, he goes to nursery in UK where there are staff and kids of a whole host of backgrounds and cultures.

I just know its all going into the hard drive for a really challenging question at some akward stage in the future, probably out loud in public :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

After our very wet weekend, my 3 year old told me that 'God' is very naughty because he sent us so much wind and rain :)

I think I need to get a plumber in to take a look at our downstair toilet (which, for context has the washing machine in there)

When boy was finished his business there yesterday afternoon, while washing his hands he informed me that his "wee wee goes down the drain and then back up the other drain and into the washing machine, see, thats what makes all the bubbles in there"

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

My 4 year old son was in the cupboard examining the contents which includes about 1,347 seasoning jars. He then asked me if he could "configurate the spices".

Now I'd love to say he is a genius but he definitely got that from something on youtube. He definitely didnt get it from us anyway as I had to google it to make sure he had used it in the right context or if it is actually a word

Three year old recently watched Winnie the Pooh for the first time. He was having breakfast this morning which always consists of porridge with a drop of honey in it. He started asking for more honey and i declined saying there was enough to which he replies, "mmmmm, maybe just a smackeral of honey?". I swear to god I almost burst trying to not laugh as he is cute as a fox and knows when he gets a reaction then he is going to get away with something. Needless to say, he got another little smackeral.
    :D

Hearing my son giggle. Im in the kitchen "working" from home and he is in the living room watching Disney plus. Something happened and he gave out 3 or 4 little giggles over the space of 10 seconds. The rush of love / swelling in my heart I feel when i hear that is like nothing I've ever felt. Really makes me feel lucky for having him and his sister.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

playing the age old game of pitch and toss with the kids at home, the 3 year old joins in. As he goes the toss the coin, he drops it a says "Sh1te!" Clear as day. Funny!

My 3 year old told me that there was an Earpig crawling across the floor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

In the car with four year old + stopped at traffic lights.

'Mammy do you see that sign. It means no throwing boomerangs on the road or they won't come back to you'

It was a do not turn left sign. I have to say myself + my husband were in stitches for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

My 2.5 year old was pretend baking earlier. He brought a lunchbox over saying he had made a pie. I asked what kind of pie and he said "children pie". I think we may have to take a certain book out of his bedtime rotation!! He then whacked his baby sister for touching his imaginary pie because it was "too hot"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The pandemic has been amazing for our little one. Maybe it's having both parents on hand, I don't know. I've mentioned in the past that she has a severe speech delay but fecking hell she's been flying. We now get lots of stuff in both Polish and English. Polish grammar is notoriously difficult but the missus tells me that the 3 year old has it nailed. She also knows I can't speak/don't understand it and she gets me to repeat stuff which she then says 'no' to because I haven't said it correctly.

From single words we've now got little sentences like:

Tata- go away
    Tata - come here
    I'm coming
    I'm going
    Play with Peppa/Dino
    Staying on the bed
    I'm eating
    I wanna look
    Tata- carry it

We seem to get a new word each day and new little sentences come out of the blue and are usually context correct.

I know it might seem trivial as most 3 year old's yap away but it's been such a big thing for us and it's so heartwarming. She can better communicate her wants/interests and you can have conversations with her. It's really amazing.

• Advertisement

@Kintarō; Hattori

That is one advantage of this lockdown, I have really tried to develop my 3 year old child's language during the last few months. He has a good vocabulary but his pronounciation was holding him back. I really feel his diction has really improved and his speech is clearer. So proud of him and I'll cherish the time I got to spend with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My 2.5 year olds language skills have come on so much in the last 3 months as well. It’s amazing to hear some of the things he comes out with (he told me the washing machine was making an awful racket during the week!). It makes life so much easier when they can tell you what’s wrong and what the need as well.

A hot dog is a strange food to try and explain to a 2.5 year old (We were at the beach and I got it as a treat?)

"Is it a sausage dog?" No its just a sausage in a bun

"Is it like a hot pig?" (I hadn't explained anything about the contents by the way) what's a hot pig, I ask?

"When we go to the market the man has a hot pig" so the farmers market that I bring him too once a month has a pig on a spit, I have never really pointed it out to him and never spoken about it before, so that's a surprise.

"What's in it?" It's just a sausage in a bun
    "Is it a dog?"
    "Do sausage dogs eat it?"
    "Is there dog poo in it?"

He ate a cheese sandwich instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

My one year old daughter, our first child, will give a hug when you ask now. That first one brought tears of joy to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

bee06 wrote: »
    My 2.5 year olds language skills have come on so much in the last 3 months as well. It’s amazing to hear some of the things he comes out with (he told me the washing machine was making an awful racket during the week!). It makes life so much easier when they can tell you what’s wrong and what the need as well.

Absolutely it does. I can see she's a lot happier now that she can communicate much better with us and it makes knowing what she wants a whole heck of a lot easier.

All the little 'baby' things are going away. She used to pant when she wanted water. I said to her when she goes to playschool no-one would know what she wanted and that she'd have to ask for water. Now that's what she does for us. Also she used to 'grunt' when she was saying yes but now she'll actually say 'yeah' to something. Every day brings improvements and it just makes life easier and more fun for both of us.

Three year old.

I was working last Friday morning in our bedroom and he was in his own room pottering around with jigsaws and books. We keep them stored in little square wicker baskets. After a little while i hear a "help" from his room so stuck my head out the door for a look.

He had emptied all the books out of one of the boxes and plonked his rear end into it, the only thing is that the boxes are about 18 inches square so he had found himself trapped and without enough room for maneuver to get himself out.

Like all good parents, I grabbed my phone and went into him, conversation went as follows.

"Whats happening buddy?"

"Im stuck in the box"

I start breaking my arse laughing.

"Im stuck in the box like Winnie the Pooh"

More laughter from me.

"You must take me out of it!"

I have the whole thing on video and its one of the funniest things I have ever seen. He has a mad accent, it ranges from being quite posh to being an out an out bogger (Im from the sticks and we have spent alot of time on my parents farm), its one to spring on him for his 21st. He has definitely been here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My 7 year old has aspergers, he’s grand but has sensory issues one being smell, or an aversion to smells.
    He a great procrastinator when it’s comes to bed and will come down at least once if not twice.

He came down earlier and my husband and I were eating Pringle’s, sour cream and onion...

The pure look of disgust he gave us, pjs up over the nose and ‘well I can’t talk to ye now’ and he flounced out of the room, I called him back for a hug and he came back and said ‘no, no hugs for ye, you both need to look at your attitudes and eating that type of stuff at night’ and off back to bed he went.
    I swear to god, it was like I was caught drinking by my parents when I was a teenager.. we couldn’t stop laughing, little old man in a seven year old body, the fact that he should have been in bed passes him right by.

Btw, I went and brushed my teeth and I got the hug afterwards x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

When your toddler starts saying your phrases back to you!

2.5 year old couldn’t find a part of one of his toys. “It will turn up itself” he says to me ... basically what I say when I can’t find something for him and can’t deal with looking anymore.

3 year old swore for the first time yesterday evening.:rolleyes:

Mrs had whacked her foot over the weekend and shouted FFS!! within ear shot of him.

His sister has recently developed a penchant for drawing on anything and everything that will take ink, walls, tables, fridge etc.

Yesterday evening she was sitting in her chair and Mrs went into the sitting room and noticed she had drawn with crayon on the coffee table. She came into the kitchen and chastised her.

The boyo chimes in, "you cant draw on the table Ellie".

Pauses for 4 or 5 seconds.

For fcukin sake.

:o

Neither of us laughed thankfully as we were more shocked than anything. Mrs is absolutely mortified. Im just impressed with his use of context but hoping that he doesn't break it out when he is creche, I dont want to become known as one of those parents. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Same boat here :) 3.5 year old has started saying "feck it" and thinks it's hilarious.

It is. But we can't let her know that or she'll never stop. It takes every ounce of will power not to burst out laughing.

Advertisement