Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Really enjoying some of these webinars so far. Introduction to Irish Whiskey is on now with 19 samples to try. Drinking whiskey at midday on a Monday after working a weekend of nights. What could go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cazale wrote:
    Really enjoying some of these webinars so far. Introduction to Irish Whiskey is on now with 19 samples to try. Drinking whiskey at midday on a Monday after working a weekend of nights. What could go wrong!

Enjoy and us know what you sampled if you're not too hammered after 19 nips of whiskey

Whiskeys so far are:

Quiet Man blend
    Quiet Man 8 year old

The missus is from Derry so I've always wanted to love the Quiet Man whiskeys but they are a bit weak for me. The eight year old is the better of the two but nothing stands out about them. Had these plenty of times before so skipping them.

Glendalough Double Barrel
    One of my favorite whiskeys in my collection is the mizunara Glendalough. First time trying the double barrel. A grain whiskey. Nice smooth taste with a spicy finish. Good introduction especially at 30 euro a bottle.

Powers gold label
    In the chase for the latest this can be overlooked. At 30 euro a bottle again this is great value. Not sure about the new label.

Dingle batch 5
    Have the deconstruction set of this to try so skipping this one. Graham Coull the master distiller talking about trying to increase the portfolio and not just being seen as a brand for collecting. Looking to have a core all year round whiskey. Waterford seems to have taken over it's crown so it'll be interesting to see what they do now the hype might be settling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

For those of you that have ordered samples for Belfast Whisky Week, when were they delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

xeresod wrote: »
    For those of you that have ordered samples for Belfast Whisky Week, when were they delivered?

Mine were delivered to Dublin, from Louth, last Friday via DPD.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

A massive bugbear of mine is having to listen to brands going on for ten minutes about some part of Irish history connected to their brand. Not interested in a story of pirate queens or some ancient battle. Another one is brands that started three years ago giving a 100 year history of distilleries names they hijacked.

Cazale wrote: »
    A massive bugbear of mine is having to listen to brands going on for ten minutes about some part of Irish history connected to their brand. Not interested in a story of pirate queens or some ancient battle. Another one is brands that started three years ago giving a 100 year history of distilleries names they hijacked.

Is there a list of these hijackers somewhere?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Without having seen the stream in question, these are the zombie brands I'm aware of

Cooley bought Kilbeggan (closed but remained licenced while non operational as far as I know) and Tyrconnell names.

Diageo at least own the actual site of the original Roe, whether the trademark was owned by them I'm not really bothered checking.

Dunvilles has been resurrected by Echlinville.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is there a list of these hijackers somewhere?

Hijackers was probably too strong a word. Off the top of my head Roe & Co
    Dunville & Co, Dublin Whiskey Distillery, JJ Corry, Velvet Cap, Lockes, Jack Ryan, Tyrconnell are all 'reborn' whiskeys. Bushmills was founded in 1784 but has 1608 on their branding. If you do the Middleton tour they bring you around a load of old buildings talking about Jameson even though Jameson was never made there. The Tullamore Dew and Kilbeggan tours are a bit liberal with their histories too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Diageo at least own the actual site of the original Roe
    They don't. That's now The Digital Hub.

• Advertisement

I booked two events Friday and one Saturday.

I’ve heard nothing from the organiser re samples or tasting session and one is on tomorrow.

Oh well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    They don't. That's now The Digital Hub.

Was it that compact?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Was it that compact?
    There's a set of Corporation flats in Watling Street that would have been part of it, but otherwise yes, I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Getting a bit worried that im not going to get my Bushmills samples for Belfast Whiskey Week. The tasting is on the 30th July and I havnt received confirmation yet that they have been despatched. Anyone get confirmation?

Hogzy wrote:
    Getting a bit worried that im not going to get my Bushmills samples for Belfast Whiskey Week. The tasting is on the 30th July and I havnt received confirmation yet that they have been despatched. Anyone get confirmation?

I'm in for two of them and haven't heard anything either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Enjoying some lovely whiskeys tonight. Started with redbreast lustau, followed by powers John's lane. Funny thing with these whiskies is they're both very similar, in essence, yet both very different, when compared side by side, which I did tonight. The similarity is obvious,. It's easy to tell they come from the same heritage with that pot still oiliness. But the lustau has more of the pot still character, rich, oily and chewy, while the powers is sweeter and more mellow.

Which would i prefer? Probably the redbreast on taste, but powers on the nose.

After those two I had some sherried scotch, glendronach 18. Aged solely in sherry casks, an absolute glorious whiskey in my opinion. Redbreast lustau is marketed as strong sherry finish but it pales in comparison to the glendronach for that sherry richness. Totally different whiskies with the pot still and single malt, but the reason why I like both Irish and scotch is the variety of flavours we have to choose from.

Slàinte

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ap71

Hi All,
    signed up yesterday after checking this thread for BWW info as in the same boat as some of you. Got an email late last night stating tonight's Buffalo Trace experience has been moved to 10pm Friday due to delivery issues with the tasting sets. Dunno if that's also the case with other events but thought I'd share as there's no update on their SM channels yet. Ah well, at least they're on it, shame about tonight though..

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend contacting them from order page on eventbrite, the only reply I had from BWW was via the email address on their FB page.

Wailin wrote:
    Enjoying some lovely whiskeys tonight. Started with redbreast lustau, followed by powers John's lane. Funny thing with these whiskies is they're both very similar, in essence, yet both very different, when compared side by side, which I did tonight. The similarity is obvious,. It's easy to tell they come from the same heritage with that pot still oiliness. But the lustau has more of the pot still character, rich, oily and chewy, while the powers is sweeter and more mellow.

Wailin wrote:
    Which would i prefer? Probably the redbreast on taste, but powers on the nose.

Wailin wrote:
    After those two I had some sherried scotch, glendronach 18. Aged solely in sherry casks, an absolute glorious whiskey in my opinion. Redbreast lustau is marketed as strong sherry finish but it pales in comparison to the glendronach for that sherry richness. Totally different whiskies with the pot still and single malt, but the reason why I like both Irish and scotch is the variety of flavours we have to choose from.

Great post especially at 2am after drinking whiskey! I'm partial to a glass of Powers Johns Lane and think it's one of the best examples of pot still whiskey. There was a cask strength version sampled at the Belfast Whiskey Week which would have been interesting to try.

I love the Scottish sherry bombs like the glendronach 18 and glengoyne 25. I can't think of any Irish Whiskey finished in sherry casks that come anywhere near those two.

brinty wrote:
    I booked two events Friday and one Saturday.

Hogzy wrote:

I ordered two Bushmills and a Sliabh Liag set on Friday. Got a text saying they are being delivered by dpd this morning. I'm in kildare. All hope might not be lost yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

No dispatch confirmations or anything but I did get an email from DPD parcel wizard to say a package form Irish Whiskey Auctions will be delivered today - guessing that must be it, or else somebody decided to buy me a surprise present!!!

• Advertisement

No dispatch confirmations or anything but I did get an email from DPD parcel wizard to say a package form Irish Whiskey Auctions will be delivered today - guessing that must be it, or else somebody decided to buy me a surprise present!!!

Yep that's it. My BWW samples came from Irish Whiskey Auctions in Louth also.

Cazale wrote:
    I ordered two Bushmills and a Sliabh Liag set on Friday. Got a text saying they are being delivered by dpd this morning. I'm in kildare. All hope might not be lost yet!

Yep same as you gents, DPD mail and text that my delivery driver will be here between 2 & 3. Even got his name. Are we all getting deliveries from Cemal. I'm in Navan so ahold get mine before you!!!

brinty wrote:
    Yep same as you gents, DPD mail and text that my delivery driver will be here between 2 & 3. Even got his name. Are we all getting deliveries from Cemal. I'm in Navan so ahold get mine before you!!!

Mine arrived at 10. All three sets. The driver must think I'm an alcoholic instead of a whiskey hobbyist.

Cazale wrote:
    Mine arrived at 10. All three sets. The driver must think I'm an alcoholic instead of a whiskey hobbyist.

Enjoy, I've liberties tonight then two Bushmills on Thursday (intro & malt)

I'm sure the driver has seen a lot worse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hijackers was probably too strong a word. Off the top of my head Roe & Co
    Dunville & Co, Dublin Whiskey Distillery, JJ Corry, Velvet Cap, Lockes, Jack Ryan, Tyrconnell are all 'reborn' whiskeys. Bushmills was founded in 1784 but has 1608 on their branding. If you do the Middleton tour they bring you around a load of old buildings talking about Jameson even though Jameson was never made there. The Tullamore Dew and Kilbeggan tours are a bit liberal with their histories too.

In defence of Velvet Cap; VC was never a distillery it was a whiskey bonder brand and we have been very clear about the history with "established" and "revived" dates on the label. It's also clear that it is a sourced, blended whiskey. We aren't trying to fool anyone.

I think JJ Corry are pretty transparent about what they are doing, as well.

In defence of Velvet Cap; VC was never a distillery it was a whiskey bonder brand and we have been very clear about the history with "established" and "revived" dates on the label. It's also clear that it is a sourced, blended whiskey. We aren't trying to fool anyone.

I think JJ Corry are pretty transparent about what they are doing, as well.

To be fair neither of those were the ones I was aiming at particularly. I could listen to Louise McGuane and Peter Mulryan chat about Whiskey all day. Big fan of both of them and what they are doing. I was listening to Daithí O’Connell chatting yesterday about his W.D. O’Connell Whiskey Merchants and he was saying when he was setting up his brand he decided to go for a more modern Irish look rather than trying to make some link to an old legend or a defunct old distillery/whiskey. Personally I prefer that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To be fair neither of those were the ones I was aiming at particularly. I could listen to Louise McGuane and Peter Mulryan chat about Whiskey all day. Big fan of both of them and what they are doing. I was listening to Daithí O’Connell chatting yesterday about his W.D. O’Connell Whiskey Merchants and he was saying when he was setting up his brand he decided to go for a more modern Irish look rather than trying to make some link to an old legend or a defunct old distillery/whiskey. Personally I prefer that approach.

THose O'Connell whiskeys are very good - not just more of the same Irish whiskey. I found them interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I ordered the bushmills set last Thursday and still havnt gotten any confirmation of dispatch! if I dont get it today im not confident ill get them on time. I reached out to BWW on eventbrite on Sunday but didnt get a reply at all. :(

Hogzy wrote: »
    I ordered the bushmills set last Thursday and still havnt gotten any confirmation of dispatch! if I dont get it today im not confident ill get them on time. I reached out to BWW on eventbrite on Sunday but didnt get a reply at all. :(

Hey dude, i ordered the liberties and bushmills intro on friday and they just arrived. i ordered bushmills malt on Saturday but nothing yet, so i'd imagine you'll get it tomorrow or Thursday.

Speaking f Liberties is at 8 tonight and I've heard nothing about the event or gotten an invite to it. Hopefully comes through soon

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Hey dude, i ordered the liberties and bushmills intro on friday and they just arrived. i ordered bushmills malt on Saturday but nothing yet, so i'd imagine you'll get it tomorrow or Thursday.

Speaking f Liberties is at 8 tonight and I've heard nothing about the event or gotten an invite to it. Hopefully comes through soon

Go to http://bigmarker.com/bww and request an invite. You need to use the email you used when purchasing. I'd do it now as they have to accept you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement