Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of closures / mergers / consolidation / automation in Irish Radio

Options
  • 15-07-2020 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

When you see the way that Uk independent local radio has been absolutely gutted in recent years with massive job losses, it really is amazing that apart from some small exceptions, Irish radio has very much managed to stay untouched. Perhaps it proves that The BAI have been right about not going ahead with further licences/deregulation and have actually saved jobs in doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

As a rule of thumb I always allow 20 years for Irish radio to catch up on UK radio.

The BAI imho are acting in the now but not future proofing.

There have been job losses,huge financial losses and no planning for the future of radio .

So yes in the short term they have done the right thing however when it all falls it will be a collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Can anyone confirm if Mid West Radio (MWR) in Mayo, are the only Irish radio station with fully live presenter-led programmes (no documentaries or repeat shows) 7 days per week, from 7am to 2am the following morning?
    19 Hours per day of live radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Infoanon wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb I always allow 20 years for Irish radio to catch up on UK radio.

The BAI imho are acting in the now but not future proofing.

There have been job losses,huge financial losses and no planning for the future of radio .

So yes in the short term they have done the right thing however when it all falls it will be a collapse

I do wonder are Today FM and Newstalk making a profit/breaking even these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Can anyone confirm if Mid West Radio (MWR) in Mayo, are the only Irish radio station with fully live presenter-led programmes (no documentaries or repeat shows) 7 days per week, from 7am to 2am the following morning?

You'd need to check the website schedule listings for every local station. Even in the Celtic tiger days Midwests neighbors, Galway Bay FM and Clare FM were finishing up at midnight while Midwest continued till 2am

leoXX wrote: »
    You'd need to check the website schedule listings for every local station. Even in the Celtic tiger days Midwests neighbors, Galway Bay FM and Clare FM were finishing up at midnight while Midwest continued till 2am

Galway Bay is defo not live until 12 am these days!! More like 6 or 7 pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maybe a comparison with countries like New Zealand and Norway would be fairer. Some UK stations serve urban areas with more people than the whole of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Pre-Covid, Donegal's Highland Radio ran live from 7am - 1am.

20 years? Based on what specific standards or metrics?

20 years? Based on what specific standards or metrics?

Pirates dominance 60s UK vs 80s Ireland
    Legal Stations 70s UK vs 90s Ireland (89 to be precise)
    Effective end of pirates late 80s in the UK vs 03s Ireland

BAI have only started relaxing rules on networking of programmes and the DAB debacle is attempts to put off the inevitable - all lagging behind the UK circa 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

leoXX wrote: »
    When you see the way that Uk independent local radio has been absolutely gutted in recent years with massive job losses, it really is amazing that apart from some small exceptions, Irish radio has very much managed to stay untouched. Perhaps it proves that The BAI have been right about not going ahead with further licences/deregulation and have actually saved jobs in doing so?

Saved who's job......robojock sitting on a shelf in the corner? Might be better for us all if some of them did fail and present the opportunity to inject some new blood into the radio scene.

• Advertisement

Saved who's job......robojock sitting on a shelf in the corner? Might be better for us all if some of them did fail and present the opportunity to inject some new blood into the radio scene.

Phantom / TX is an example of a station failing - licence was not put up for new applicants and no new licence for any type of FM services has been advertised .

The BAI will maintain the status quo even if that means stations abandon conditions of their licence application.

There are barriers of entry for any new stations - no licences being issued ,temporary services - restrictions on playlist / advertising and high cost of entries , DAB - there are no licences for a full time service and a temporary service is only allowed host BAI S.77 (iirc ) service licences which iirc carry a 5 year upfront payment. Stand to be corrected on the finer details of the DAB licence but in summary the cost is prohibitive

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Phantom / TX is an example of a station failing - licence was not put up for new applicants and no new licence for any type of FM services has been advertised .

The BAI will maintain the status quo even if that means stations abandon conditions of their licence application.

There are barriers of entry for any new stations - no licences being issued ,temporary services - restrictions on playlist / advertising and high cost of entries , DAB - there are no licences for a full time service and a temporary service is only allowed host BAI S.77 (iirc ) service licences which iirc carry a 5 year upfront payment. Stand to be corrected on the finer details of the DAB licence but in summary the cost is prohibitive

Yes indeed, a five year content licence has to be paid for up front in respect of DAB. Seems pretty irrelevant as there are no licensed multiplexes at present to put your content on so just stick your licence in a drawer to gather dust?! As far as I can recall, the trial multiplexes were licensed for three years so once again why pay for a five year content licence? The IRTC/BAI have been kicking the DAB can down the road for years with assurances that they are "looking into it". How long does it take to look. While there is still good mileage left in FM, we run the risk of having digital imposed on us by Brussels with no domestic plan of action.
    It's actually quite depressing to look across the water where there has been an explosion of small scale DAB servicing anything from large cities to country villages. Some of the smaller multiplexes are actually offering free carriage for micro stations that only serve a very small area on a voluntary basis.
    Unfortunately in Ireland it's all about protecting the existing players and by extension denying real diversity.
    The 1988 Act is now 32 years old and in my view is no longer fit for purpose as it was written in an analogue age which has long since disappeared. That however is a completely separate discussion.
    Rant over, I'm off to the pub.........oh wait!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Spin South West is down to 7 hours from Limerick now on weekdays. All other programming is networked from Dublin or automated. This was announced pre-covid too. This is the level of networking Capital FM in the UK was at until Ofcom further deregulated last year and cut the local requirement down to 3 hours per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You'd be right. It'll take more than a bit of Covid to make MWR give up their schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

I wholly disagree with the original statement. As someone said we have seen the seeds of networking with Spin becoming one brand with opt out shows in the South West, we have a huge networked news service that is basically the same everywhere after 7. Communicorp and Wireless have restructured hugely in the last few years to accommodate the market shrinking, including moving locations and expanding their brands.

One reason we don't see more networking is that stations are owned by different companies. In the UK you could buy 12 different stations across the country and start a network. The marketplace in Ireland would not sustain that, there is no value in buying say Beat and Iradio to network them, the advertising revenue wouldn't really be growing, especially when you have Spin SW and Red FM overlapping in key demographics areas.

The DAB discussion is bonkers too. Im (or was) in the UK a lot with work, I never saw the appeal of DAB, it was always a bit difficult and awkward, and also extremely costly. Radios future here is on the Internet, skip the middle man of DAB, by the time we have it setup we will be into the cycle of 5g here and be able to get Internet access across the country.

KReid wrote: »

The DAB discussion is bonkers too. Im (or was) in the UK a lot with work, I never saw the appeal of DAB, it was always a bit difficult and awkward, and also extremely costly. Radios.

41% of radio listenership in the UK is via DAB with 70% of Digital listenership via DAB with DAB ownership being circa 70% according to the latest figures

41% of radio listenership in the UK is via DAB with 70% of Digital listenership via DAB with DAB ownership being circa 70% according to the latest figures
    But what's the point of DAB? We know it is rapidly on it's way to becoming obsolete. I just don't see any benefit for the listener, and neither (it seems) do the listeners.

There's nothing substantively wrong with it, but it doesn't bring any additional value that would merit extra investment.

Sorry ye, I don't doubt its not doing well in the UK, theu made it work, we missed the boat with it, the privately owned stations didn't invest in it.

Investing in a DAB infrastructure now when we have other far more flexible and accessible means of connectivity would be waste of money. The vast majority of this country has a smartphone and Internet access (yes, yes I know your Granny in Castletown can't get moren than 2mb) how many people are going to invest in another piece of technology like a DAB radio when you can ask Alexa to play the station you want, or use your phone.

Let the UK use DAB, we can move ahead and use the Internet.

But what's the point of DAB? We know it is rapidly on it's way to becoming obsolete. I just don't see any benefit for the listener, and neither (it seems) do the listeners.

There's nothing substantively wrong with it, but it doesn't bring any additional value that would merit extra investment.

DAB allowed the addition of many radio stations - it's not obsolete - the figures are there - 41% of all listenership is DAB and it dominates (70%) digital listenership.

If anything the figures are going to grow with the requirement that all new cars have DAB.

Regarding additional value - 10 FM transmitters get replaced by 1 DAB transmitter - that's a big saving.

However - Ireland has missed the boat on DAB

DAB allowed the addition of many radio stations - it's not obsolete - the figures are there - 41% of all listenership is DAB and it dominates (70%) digital listenership.

If anything the figures are going to grow with the requirement that all new cars have DAB.

Regarding additional value - 10 FM transmitters get replaced by 1 DAB transmitter - that's a big saving.

However - Ireland has missed the boat on DAB

I don't think that figure really tallies up with Ireland though, just because something works in one country doesn't mean it would work in another. It took us years to implement Saorview. Don't forget the UK has local stations the broadcast to a population greater than ours as a country, there was a much greater demand for increased listening opportunities.

How much would be saved though? And who's saving it? You would have to build new infrastructure for a DAB network, even if it meant you could remove traditional FM transmission, the actual transmitters would stay because they often serve other purposes with mobile masts and satellites housed on them and would continue to be serviced.

I get the arguments that all new cars will have DAB compatability, but that's only new cars, it would be nearly 5 or 6 years before the majority of country has a car made post 2019. What kind of advances will be made in wireless communications and satellites by then.

DAB could have worked here but it didn't, not enough investment, not enough interest from private stations. Personally I would rather see that money spent on improving our broadband and Internet services, which offer more value.

Simply put, why would I buy a DAB radio for 60 euro when I can listen on my phone or laptop, devices which serve several other purposes?

• Advertisement

Is DAB also a *common term for non-FM listeners (phones, smart devices, TV) in the UK? ...

*not just DAB receivers?

The figures from the UK shows the potential that does / did exist for DAB - however the current stations did not want the competition and with the BAI operating rules bordering on monopolistic DAB has been effectively shut down in Ireland. Which all ties in nicely with the thread .

Why buy a DAB radio - superior sound quality compared to phones and most laptops.
    Infrastructure - already exists and switching off and removing FM TXS would safe money and not affect other services.

Earlier this year a proposal was put forward for a legal full time DAB service - arguably an expression of interest as no such licence exists - the service was fully subscribed to

Thus there are individuals/stations who are willing to invest in DAB because they do see a future and a demand for DAB in Ireland.

Is DAB also a *common term for non-FM listeners (phones, smart devices, TV) in the UK? ...

*not just DAB receivers?

No - there is a clear distinction made hence the digital audience is broken down 70% DAB with the other 30% including Sky and Free sat radio stations and online listening.

Why buy a DAB radio - superior sound quality compared to phones and most laptops.
    Infrastructure - already exists and switching off and removing FM TXS would safe money and not affect other services.

Earlier this year a proposal was put forward for a legal full time DAB service - arguably an expression of interest as no such licence exists - the service was fully subscribed to

Actually, ye sound quality on DAB would be superior assuming the stations broadcast it correctly. Although people are more than happy to listen to Spotify on their phone, and sound quality is enhanced with headphones so I'm not sure it's a major issue for people. It would only be limited to people in their house.

Genuinely though, who's saving money by turning off FM transmission? There would need to be a big campaign to drive people away from it and to DAB. If it could be done to supplement FM originally it might work, and we could gradually phase out FM over the next ten years.

Would it be feasible for the BAI to request that all FM stations broadcast on DAB by 2023 say, keep the FM band alive until 2030? Or would stations just point towards their online platforms and say there's no need for DAB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

If anything the figures are going to grow with the requirement that all new cars have DAB

When did this rule come in? There is no DAB in my car.

Tork wrote: »
    When did this rule come in? There is no DAB in my car.

Q3 2019 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

Ah, I missed it so. Not that I care one jot TBH. If DAB ever takes off in this country I will walk naked down O'Connell Street (God help you all! :D)

KReid wrote: »

Genuinely though, who's saving money by turning off FM transmission?

The stations themselves would save money.

Would it be feasible for the BAI to request that all FM stations broadcast on DAB by 2023 say, keep the FM band alive until 2030? Or would stations just point towards their online platforms and say there's no need for DAB

The point is mute as the FM stations don't want to go on DAB as it would mean more competition - online does not give the penetration required to replace either FM or DAB in the short / medium term

Tork wrote: »
    Ah, I missed it so. Not that I care one jot TBH. If DAB ever takes off in this country I will walk naked down O'Connell Street (God help you all! :D)

Since RTE are closing down their DAB services and the pirate DAB was taken off the air soon there will be nothing on DAB....just in time for the introduction of the EU rules on DAB being mandatory in motor cars

One way of maintaining the status quo !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The one thing that you aren't allowing for here is that the UK radio broadcasting scene has largely moved away from local stand alone stations and more towards larger networked stations. Obviously I am not suggesting that they have gone this way purely for DAB's benefit but decades of tolerance of cross ownership and acceptance of centrally programmed has rolled in nicely as DAB moves to replaces AM.

While fans of DAB will rightfully claim that regional areas now have more choice, these listening options are actually "niche" stations from the Bauer's of this realm. Perhaps a Kisstory or Absolute 80's or UCB 2 works and consumers are glad of it but the community loses out on what was meant to be a local station. One of the chief benefits of our local radio stations in Ireland is that our airwaves are indeed populated with locally run stations. The BAI need to be careful to not lose this whatever about expanding operations.

As regards the TX end, well yeah the audio is great and the bean counter in me can't argue with about 300 TX sites replacing 3,000 FM/AM sites. Unless you happen to live in the many nooks and crannies that DAB can't reach :)

The figures from the UK shows the potential that does / did exist for DAB - however the current stations did not want the competition and with the BAI operating rules bordering on monopolistic DAB has been effectively shut down in Ireland. Which all ties in nicely with the thread ..

Advertisement