Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Obese Children be put into care?

Options
  • 20-07-2020 8:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

Malnourished children are generally removed from abusive parents. Shouldn’t fat children be removed from parents, as this is the same level of abuse as under feeding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I’d take stupid parents away first. Some people should require a licence to breed kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They should be they never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Chinese government send the fat kids to boot camps where they are reprogrammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

Malnourished children are generally removed from abusive parents. Shouldn’t fat children be removed from parents, as this is the same level of abuse as under feeding?

It makes me so sad to see really overweight little kids :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Let’s face it , the “ care system “ in Ireland is totally dysfunctional, so, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Too many sausage sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

GunnerBlue wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks, eh! It always makes me laugh loudly. Safe in the knowledge the parents will be too fat to catch me while I sing the Benny Hill theme tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No, but dole should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

GunnerBlue wrote: »

I find it sad too, they're going to be fat for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

I'd rather if you can't afford a child it should be taken off you.

A life of welfare money and a free house should not be tolerated and should not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭the14thwarrior

dont be silly
    they don't have enough room for children with mental health difficulties, behavioural difficulties, physical difficulties, parents on drugs and alcohol, and the state has a hard enough time to manage these issues, with parents rights etc. ruling the way

put fat kids into care?
    how many care homes do you think there are?

and who are you to decide who is fat?
    and it's the parents fault.............

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No they’re not?

Nor will overweight children be removed from their parents care either.

What could you possibly think it would achieve anyway? They are just as likely to be abused in State care, not that you’d have anywhere to put them all. It would be like suggesting we should remove stupid children from their parents care, clearly that didn’t happen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

maherhonda wrote: »
    I'd rather if you can't afford a child it should be taken off you.

A life of welfare money and a free house should not be tolerated and should not exist.

I’m guessing it’s never occurred to you that when children are taken into the care of the State, what becomes of them? Now you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

and who are you to decide who is fat?
    and it's the parents fault.............

allowing a child to reach a bmi to 30-35 is completely abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Determine the cause of the obesity first, educate the parents on nuitirion and exercise second.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work in homeless services and occasionally with young men and young women who become homeless almost immediately after reaching 18 years of age after being in care as children.
    It's a nightmare, devastating, significant amounts end up in addiction with little or no family contact often spending years in homeless services impacting on their physical and mental health .
    I really dont think you're serious or if you are ,you haven't thought through the consequences of what you're suggesting.

Is P.E still a treat in primary schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Cheesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

dont be silly
    they don't have enough room for children ..............

Hee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

Not a chance, the care system is not fit for purpose. It's becoming a for profit business.

The object of the children in care system is supposed to be about achieving a family reunification. Instead it's anything but, children are denied the resources needed. The state relies on private companies to meet its needs and many children come out worse than they went in.

And I work within the system.

Edit: Fwiw I don't think I've ever met a child who was taken into care due to malnourishment, usually multiple factors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭the14thwarrior

no one said fat kids are healthy, and no one said every parent was smart

stop the thread before you put the needs of fat kids over kids that are, quite literally, mentally and phys. abused daily.
    crap parents, crap lifestyle, no money, no prospects, kids are suffering daily in this country and you think fat kids should take priority?
    they can lose the weight when they grow up

misguided to think it would work......
    i hate threads like this when someone comes up with a stupid idea and expects people to get into a debate of whether its good or not, when dangerous kids are, at this moment, in very dsyfunctional homes because we do not have enough places. Do you have any idea of the sh&&t that is out there?

or no, wait, you do, and you want to put a fat kid into one of these places..... i'm sure the fat kid will feel safer and lose weight very quickly, because he will be so busy trying to run away the weight will just fall off him...............

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Being familiar with the Irish care system I’d say being obese is the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well nobody can say AH isn't reliably predictable.

Sure OP. How many will you take in?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,363 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No, I'd just put the kids into care who are sent out without any socks on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Children are much better off being obese than being in the Irish care system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

This has to be one of the most dumb-ass questions I've seen on AH in a while. And that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I saw a good documentary on the life of an overweight American kid once. Turns out there is a link between being overweight as a child and psychopathic behaviour. He stabbed Rob Reiner and once fed another boys parents to him in a chili after having them shot. Had some serious anti-semitic views too. Very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, I'd just put the kids into care who are sent out without any socks on!

What if they’re wearing sandals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,363 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What if they’re wearing sandals?

That’s fine of course and shorts.
    I’m talking about the bare ankle brigade in winter.

Advertisement