Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Gaming Laptop HP £649; 6 core Ryzen + GTX 1650

Options
  • 14-07-2020 1:45pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In stock after months of pre-orders. Probably the best value laptop around at the moment, even for content creators thanks to its amazingly fast processor. Weighs under 2kg too so very easy to move around, and smaller than other 15 inch laptops thanks to its very thin bezels.

It will play all modern games around medium-high settings at 1080p. For VR, the graphics card will chug a bit but fine for many games (Half-Life Alyx is the only exception I have encountered). The storage slot is easily accessbile for upgrading (it is only 256gb). The processor is the standout and thanks to great power savings, the battery can go on for much longer than its rivals in the price range. Doesnt scream gamery chassis, and backlit keyboard is always a plus.

39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD, IPS, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, 250 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)
    AMD Ryzen 5 4600H (3.0 GHz base clock, up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 3 MB L2 cache, 6 cores)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
    8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB) 2 user-accessible memory slots; Transfer rates up to 2400 MT/s. 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
    256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
    B&O; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost 1.0 Audio by B&O; Dual speakers; HP Audio Boost
    HP TrueVision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone HP TrueVision HD Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
    3-cell, 52.5 Wh Li-ion 3-cell, 52.5 Wh Li-ion
    Up to 13 hours and 15 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TonyB466

Would it be sufficient for the Microsoft flight simulator 2020?

TonyB466 wrote: »
    Would it be sufficient for the Microsoft flight simulator 2020?

Yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

How would this compare to a PS4 Pro nfor example?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

On GPU power its roughly the same. On CPU the laptop knocks it out of the park. So at 1080p it probably beats games in identical settings. But its sort of an apples vs oranges comparison, PS4 Pro would handle higher resolutions better as games tend to take advantage of dynamic resolution settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes the big advantage is the CPU power difference. A lot of games that run at 30fps on PS4 or PS4 Pro would run at 60fps on the laptop at more or less identical visual settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Is 8 GB ram enough

soap1978 wrote: »
    Is 8 GB ram enough

if you decided that it wasn't it's only a simple €40 upgrade that takes 10 minutes to bring it up to 16gb

8gb is fine for the cpu side for most games but the cpu would benefit from running in what is called dual-channel mode which requires 2 separate ram sticks so if there is only one inside an upgrade is beneficial

Can u definitely upgrade the ram easy,is there any links to iy

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

glasso wrote: »
    if you decided that it wasn't it's only a simple €40 upgrade that takes 10 minutes to bring it up to 16gb

8gb is fine for the cpu side for most games but the cpu would benefit from running in what is called dual-channel mode which requires 2 separate ram sticks so if there is only one inside an upgrade is beneficial

from lower down the page, comparison between 15-ec0000na and 15-ec1001na

8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)

It looks like dual-channel should be already implemented, and 2 x 8GB sticks will be required for upgrade

Thanks, OP, just ordered one.

soap1978 wrote: »
    Can u definitely upgrade the ram easy,is there any links to iy

you just need a philips screwdriver and 10 minutes

ram will just click in and out of a place-holder clip

if this was not possible with a gaming laptop nobody would buy it - it's expected to be a given to be able to upgrade the ram.

it's only ultrabook-style laptops where ram is soldered in for space-saving reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Hmmm

Currently WFH and had started lock down playing some games but found them too slow. In anticipation of further possible restrictions, this may be a good bit of kit.

Would this be good for a game that recommends the following (I assume it would):

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
    CPU SPEED: Info
    RAM: 6 GB
    VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB (Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards)
    PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
    VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
    FREE DISK SPACE: 4 GB
    DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB

Any TopCashBack deals etc to save a few more euros?

Yes it will play Cities Skylines without issue. :)

Yes it will play Cities Skylines without issue. :)

I have no idea what you are talking about :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Where is the best place to buy RAM, 16gb for 40eur sounds rather cheap.

Kolido wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy RAM, 16gb for 40eur sounds rather cheap.

I meant 8gb for €40 (assuming it was 1 x 8gb in it so another 1 x 8gb needed to bring it to 16gb but someone else pointed out that it's 2 x 4gb in the machine as sold)

amazon's prices usually the best considering free postage

ram is historically very cheap at the moment

£29 for 8gb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT8G4SFS8266-PC4-21300-Single-260-Pin/dp/B07Q3HNC79/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17T346DQA021R&dchild=1&keywords=8gb%2Bddr4%2Bram%2Bsodimm&qid=1594816493&sprefix=8gb%2Bddr4%2Bram%2Bsodi%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-3&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I meant 8gb for €40 (assuming it was 1 x 8gb in it so another 1 x 8gb needed to bring it to 16gb but someone else pointed out that it's 2 x 4gb in the machine as sold)

amazon's prices usually the best considering free postage

ram is historically very cheap at the moment

£29 for 8gb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT8G4SFS8266-PC4-21300-Single-260-Pin/dp/B07Q3HNC79/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17T346DQA021R&dchild=1&keywords=8gb%2Bddr4%2Bram%2Bsodimm&qid=1594816493&sprefix=8gb%2Bddr4%2Bram%2Bsodi%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-3&th=1

Yeah thats what I wondered, would need 2 sticks of 8gb for this one. Looking to upgrade a desktop myself, will keep an eye on Amazon prices, cheers.

Whats the best financial/environmental means of getting rid of your older laptop?

:rolleyes:

So buy this and the 2 x 8GB sticks of ram? Anything else?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    So buy this and the 2 x 8GB sticks of ram? Anything else?

no need to really.

the 2 x 4gb in there and the graphics card is fine really as it's a dual-channel channel configuration unless you find the ram usage hitting max a lot in task manager

there is no rush unless that is the case frequently

Ordered. Pretty much perfect for what I want.

Thanks cherryghost!

• Advertisement

If anyone gets theirs today do let us know.

Of interest, did anyone send it to parcel motel to pay less vat? :confused:

kaerobe wrote: »
    If anyone gets theirs today do let us know.

Of interest, did anyone send it to parcel motel to pay less vat? :confused:

Yeah I did. A day extra shipping but 17 saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Be careful picking up memory, Ryzen CPUs are picky about which memory they like

Etnies wrote: »
    Be careful picking up memory, Ryzen CPUs are picky about which memory they like

I think I’ll stick with the 8gb unless I start doing video editing etc.

Sorry can anyone tell how this laptop compares
    ASUS TUF FX505 - 15.6 Inch IPS Full HD Gaming Laptop - Intel i5-9300H, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB NMVe PCI-e SSD, Windows 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Homelander

Much slower processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just got one this morning arrived via an post. Very similar in looks to HP Omen series. Not much time to look at it (setting up for family) but it's very responsive so far and the toddler is putting it through its paces. Keyboard, touchpad all feel good. Sound seems fine but I'm not a great judge of that.

Just have to clone the drive to a larger 1tb and maybe some extra ram to give it a boost. Any recommendations for a cable or cradle to clone the drive?

Already at Parcel Motel Dublin Depot. Should have it Monday.

Is there any gaming laptop better at 800 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TrivialArguer

Fooooooooook. Id buy this in a heartbeat if I didnt just get a laptop last year! Great deal. FML

Advertisement