Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

No need for jumping jacks, start off at a slow jog. Well below race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

So that's what most on here would do then? Easy first mile and off you go? Sounds good to me. Warming up has always been the bit I hated the most about running. It'd only take me 6/7 minutes anyway, so I wasn't wasting that much time doing it.

I can't speak for anyone else on here, but that's exactly how I do it, yes. Easy first mile and gradually speed up. I don't even consciously speed up, it just happens automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Well shit :pac:

So that's what most on here would do then? Easy first mile and off you go? Sounds good to me. Warming up has always been the bit I hated the most about running. It'd only take me 6/7 minutes anyway, so I wasn't wasting that much time doing it.

Definitely easy first mile and then go. Most hard sessions or speed sessions people would do here would generally involve probably 1-2 easy miles and then perhaps some stretching on warm muscles if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Charliebull

young lad was at surfing camp yesterday

did a 2 hour run while waiting , 1 hour of which was on beach

talk about wrecked afterwards, been years since i had trained on the beach

would many lads train on beach

I'm thinking I'd like to take up sprinting instead or running which I find I can just never get into and was wondering would it be possible at 35 with a current low enough fitness level and if there was any good beginner programs like the couch to 5k stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm thinking I'd like to take up sprinting instead or running which I find I can just never get into and was wondering would it be possible at 35 with a current low enough fitness level and if there was any good beginner programs like the couch to 5k stuff

Theres lots of info online but its not quite as easy as finding a 10k program etc. Do you have access to a track? Do you want to compete?

If there's a master sprint group nearby you are sorted. I would speak to local clubs to see, if you tell us where you are based we might know.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Theres lots of info online but its not quite as easy as finding a 10k program etc. Do you have access to a track? Do you want to compete?

If there's a master sprint group nearby you are sorted. I would speak to local clubs to see, if you tell us where you are based we might know.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe this is a case of me not knowing what I actually want, I dont want to compete I'm not even worried about times, I just thought I could run flat out on a treadmill for short periods recover and go again.

But maybe it's just fast running I'm thinking of.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe this is a case of me not knowing what I actually want, I dont want to compete I'm not even worried about times, I just thought I could run flat out on a treadmill for short periods recover and go again.

But maybe it's just fast running I'm thinking of.

Sprint training in the athletics form would be year round training, blocks of training for a few months before peaking for competition

If you google 6 week sprint plan etc theres plenty of sprint gym type programs that might suit you. T-nation etc have them

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Sprint training in the athletics form would be year round training, blocks of training for a few months before peaking for competition

If you google 6 week sprint plan etc theres plenty of sprint gym type programs that might suit you. T-nation etc have them

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

I'll look there so.

Cool very much appreciate the help.

Thank you thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'd love a sports massage to ease my aching muscles - do you think it's safe at the mo?
    Even with masks, an hour or so in same space as another??

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    I'd love a sports massage to ease my aching muscles - do you think it's safe at the mo?

I go see my friend alright, we wear masks, its up to you i guess. Helps I know she isn't seeing many people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Zipppy wrote: »

Full disclosure, I am a sports massage therapist.

I think it is pretty safe to get a massage done, so long as you and the therapist take precautions. Most good therapists are doing more than wearing masks including screening forms, extra cleaning, removal of waiting rooms etc. Don't be afraid to ask the therapist what changes they've made to their working practice, they shouldn't be offended. For yourself; wear a mask, use the hand sanitiser, bring your own towels, check your temperature before you attend.

Personally speaking I am very busy since I reopened with no shortage of people coming in, and I am glad to be back working and that people are supporiting me. Small businesses need all the help they can get at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FarmerBob

pconn062 wrote: »

I think it is pretty safe to get a massage done, so long as you and the therapist take precautions. Most good therapists are doing more than wearing masks including screening forms, extra cleaning, removal of waiting rooms etc. Don't be afraid to ask the therapist what changes they've made to their working practice, they shouldn't be offended. For yourself; wear a mask, use the hand sanitiser, bring your own towels, check your temperature before you attend.

Personally speaking I am very busy since I reopened with no shortage of people coming in, and I am glad to be back working and that people are supporiting me. Small businesses need all the help they can get at the minute.

Excellent information there..I've been thinking of a visit to a sports massage so this is very helpful. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

pconn062 wrote: »

Above information is spot on. Great post.
    Just to add a few things.
    You need to take into account the amount of covid 19 in your area into you Own risk assessment.
    While temperature checks CAN give an indication, a high temp is not always present in covid 19 case.
    You could also consider a 30 min treatment instead of 60 min if you want to limit your time in a confined space.
    As with all things, use common sense, and don't put yourself or anyone else in a compromising position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Looking for tips on how best to use the Garmin in a track race.

Racing Day Of Irish Pbs next Fri.

Ran it last year, my only other time racing on a track and I was using the watch as if it was a road race, which I realised afterwards was pretty futile.

Is it as simple as knowing what your target time for 400 is and hitting lap button each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭UM1

Lazare wrote: »

Ran it last year, my only other time racing on a track and I was using the watch as if it was a road race, which I realised afterwards was pretty futile.

Is it as simple as knowing what your target time for 400 is and hitting lap button each time?
    Stay in front of me or ur name will be muck :) .Dublin runner usually calls out lap times as u bail past the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Lazare wrote: »

Forget the watch C & trust the pacer I’d say C. Garmin is useless in a track race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I stood on a nail on Saturday (stoopid me). Got the tetanus shot that night in case of the worst. How long would ye think Id be out of action for? Never thought to ask the doctor when I was getting the jab and google has feck all info! Nail went up through the runner and maybe 2cm into my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I stood on a nail on Saturday (stoopid me). Got the tetanus shot that night in case of the worst. How long would ye think Id be out of action for? Never thought to ask the doctor when I was getting the jab and google has feck all info! Nail went up through the runner and maybe 2cm into my foot.

It obviously very much depends on how much damage that nail did. Can you put weight on it? Without it actually hurting? If no, stay at home; if yes, just try and jog around for 5 minutes and see how that feels. Use your own judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

**** me how has it come to this? When I started running you paid on the day to enter races, you waited 2 months for Irish Runner mag to come out for resuIts and the very essence of 'up his own hole' was a lad wearing sunglasses(unless he was a sub 30 10k runner, then it was perfectly acceptable). Cotton T-shirts, medals only for the first 3 and casio watches were the cutting edge of technology, now I find myself directly impacted by an international espionage scandal. Stop the world I want to get off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

UM1 wrote: »
    Stay in front of me or ur name will be muck :) .Dublin runner usually calls out lap times as u bail past the finish

Luckily the first part of this won't be too hard, especially if you're doing the mile. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Opinions on massage guns from anyone who has used them, or any physios with knowledge? I run 110-120 km per week

Snodge wrote: »
    Opinions on massage guns from anyone who has used them, or any physios with knowledge? I run 110-120 km per week

What are you trying to achieve by using one.?
    Relaxation, stimulation, recovery???

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Ceepo wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve by using one.?
    Relaxation, stimulation, recovery???

Recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

i bought one on WISH , same RPM as the ones doing the rounds online in ireland the last week.

Used it, actually found it hurt my muscles longer than foam rolling etc which actually stopped me running.

I dont see the reason for them but i know the company is spraying all the Irish sports people with them to promote them....for a far more expensive price than you get online

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

My wife got me one for my birthday a few weeks ago, the Pulseroll one, I find it good for getting at tight spots that can be difficult to hit on a foam roller.

i use a car buffer i got in halfords, have done so for years. Actually noticed the tinmanelite using one in one of their youtube videos so im not alone

They only cost 30e

All just forms of massage, no harm, cant beat someone using their hands but its good alternative imo

Recovery

Recovery on the face of it is a good thing.
    Just be aware that our bodys adaptation to training stress is how we actually improve.
    Helping it to recover might inhibit our own adaptation process.

Whether these actually help to recover is another question. As far as I know there's no evidence to say they help with recovery outside of placebo .
    They may or may not it increase blood flow which can help with waste removal and bring nutrients to the muscle but theres no study to back this up.

If you're looking to get some device to aid your training then look into Red light therapy. Theres 1000"s of studys done on the benefits of RLT.
    In summary RLT works at a cellular level by increasing mychondria density and Atp production.

The fitness industry is a breathing ground for gimmicks and pseudoscience and general don't need much or anything to back up their claim. When you add that to the placebo effect and "sure it can't harm you anyway" then you have a winner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Easy 45 min run with hills.

^^^ what would the idea behind that be? It would help me chose a route and decide which of the many hills around here to use :D.

Also...when doing an easy run with hills... You go the same effort not the same pace up them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Easy 45 min run with hills.

^^^ what would the idea behind that be? It would help me chose a route and decide which of the many hills around here to use :D.

Also...when doing an easy run with hills... You go the same effort not the same pace up them?
    I normally do a run like that the day before a session. I finish with hills to put a pop in my legs for the next day.
    If I label a run 45 easy with hills it would mean a total of 45 minutes at the end I would finish with 6x10 seconds hill sprints walk recovery on the hills. If I label it 45 plus hills its 45 easy then finish with hill sprints

Advertisement