Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

According to Boards, Peter Casey is the type of politician the country needs and everyone on the dole is a chancer milking the system while also looking for a forever home.

Neither is remotely close to be true in the real world. Many people of my generation, have fond memories of Ray given we grew up with him on the Den and his show on Today FM was very popular for a long time.

I wouldn't be using Boards as supporting evidence for making such a judgemental statement.

You see, here’s what really happened.

Ray was fine, excellent in fact , presenting a teen / children’s show which consisted of music and comedy of a kind which appealed to young people.

Then he graduated to disc jockeying again nothing too strenuous but good at it in fairness, what I call hairdresser radio, that you listen to with one ear and don’t have to concentrate too hard.Its just there in the background.

Then he got a more ‘adult’ show with more adult content and was found out.

Promoted beyond his area of competence, stacatto interviews, unsure of himself outside music topics, out of his depth.

That’s the long and the short of it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,794 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

©️ Hairdresser Radio.

©️ Hairdresser Radio.

It does sum it up pretty well. Basically "Breakfast Roll Man's" wife -- in the UK, they call her Worcester Woman.

That's assuming Ray's audience is mainly female, which I strongly presume it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

According to Boards, Peter Casey is the type of politician the country needs and everyone on the dole is a chancer milking the system while also looking for a forever home.

Neither is remotely close to be true in the real world. Many people of my generation, have fond memories of Ray given we grew up with him on the Den and his show on Today FM was very popular for a long time.

I wouldn't be using Boards as supporting evidence for making such a judgemental statement.

Ray was very good on the Den and reasonably likeable on Today FM at the beginning. He is now opinionated, hypocritical and very hard to like on RTE. He is also disinterested in those he interviews, holier-than-thou and dismissive of things he doesn't like e.g. the Nuacht. He is technically illiterate and unable to work the buttons in front of him. Despite this, he is paid top dollar. Bizarre.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Ray was very good on the Den and reasonably likeable on Today FM at the beginning. He is now opinionated, hypocritical and very hard to like on RTE. He is also disinterested in those he interviews, holier-than-thou and dismissive of things he doesn't like e.g. the Nuacht. He is technically illiterate and unable to work the buttons in front of him. Despite this, he is paid top dollar. Bizarre.

Correct and right.

However he is not a heavyweight, he just cannot handle issues which require a bit of knowledge and in my opinion tries to overcome this by trying to push certain agendas like fitness and diet and stuff.

Listen and see how his demeanor changes when he has a ‘light’ interview with say Hosier, Mundy, or some U.K. cloth heads who threw TVs out hotel windows back in the day.

Just listen......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Then he got a more ‘adult’ show with more adult content and was found out.

Promoted beyond his area of competence, stacatto interviews, unsure of himself outside music topics, out of his depth.

That’s the long and the short of it basically.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree that he is out of his depth in his current role, but, my point above (and relevant in terms to how these threads can be motivated in one direction) is that to suggest someone is likely hated in real life is quite an excessive judgement.

Some posts have been moved here from the Today with Sarah McInerney thread, just to keep both on-topic - Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

So after 2 days of wall to wall Jack Charlton coverage on the radio, Ray D'Arcy decides to go out on a limb and is looking for Jack Charlton stories for his show today.

Original thinking obviously wasn't a deal breaker when he negotiated his €450k a year contract with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭amlinopta

48 hours after the event with the Jack Charlton fishing stories and the obligatory few bars of Put 'em under Pressure. And almost a week late with Lidl ambassador Sarah Rowe and her campaign, she did the full round of media interviews a few days ago including RTE and Off the Ball. So lazy considering the resources working on the show

amlinopta wrote: »
    48 hours after the event with the Jack Charlton fishing stories and the obligatory few bars of Put 'em under Pressure. And almost a week late with Lidl ambassador Sarah Rowe and her campaign, she did the full round of media interviews a few days ago including RTE and Off the Ball. So lazy considering the resources working on the show

Who produces that show?

In fairness to Ray, he's not the only one sitting in on these planning/ scheduling meetings.

Is nobody looking back and saying 'that didn't really work, did it?

In the last JNLRs, Ray Darcy was losing 140,000 listeners after Liveline. He has fewer listeners than the likes of Sunday Miscellany or The Business, which are great programmes, but you'd think are fairly niche.

It's not working, and it isn't only D'arcy's fault in all fairness.

• Advertisement

A zoom call on the radio. Ray claiming the credit for this innovative idea as the line breaks down. Should they not have tested it first? And what's the point of a video call on radio.

DrSerious3 wrote: »

As long as he has a loyal following, even if some only tune in for Nuacht Watch or button malfunctions, he can command his top dollar. He was brought back from Today FM to halt the disastrous fall in numbers which Mooney caused, and he has succeeded.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/radio-saviour-ray-darcy-faces-5612977

His figures take a massive drop compared to News at One and Liveline, so it seems to be a fickle time slot.

https://www.thejournal.ie/marian-finucane-jnlr-figures-4994741-Feb2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

amlinopta wrote: »
    A zoom call on the radio. Ray claiming the credit for this innovative idea as the line breaks down. Should they not have tested it first? And what's the point of a video call on radio.

Its mad, last week he was using skype...or so he said and it kept cutting out and disconnected in the end.

I really dont understand why they dont just use the phone line, especially since it seems to be a RADIO SHOW!!

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Its mad, last week he was using skype...or so he said and it kept cutting out and disconnected in the end.

I really dont understand why they dont just use the phone line, especially since it seems to be a RADIO SHOW!!

I was thinking the very same on Sunday morning listening to Emily Buchanan on Radio 4. Her interview with the new Archbishop of York was a disaster, until she got him on the phone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kww2

As long as he has a loyal following, even if some only tune in for Nuacht Watch or button malfunctions, he can command his top dollar. He was brought back from Today FM to halt the disastrous fall in numbers which Mooney caused, and he has succeeded.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/radio-saviour-ray-darcy-faces-5612977

His figures take a massive drop compared to News at One and Liveline, so it seems to be a fickle time slot.

https://www.thejournal.ie/marian-finucane-jnlr-figures-4994741-Feb2020/
    I'm not sure it's the timeslot, he's got the same reach as Ronan Collins -- primetime radio, but just no broad appeal. There's nothing that really stands out about 12pm and 3pm.

He has been an improvement on Mooney's numbers, can't take that away from him.

I wish they'd do something imaginative -- something like a cross between Movies & Booze with Rattlebag. People call The Ray D'arcy Show 'Hairdresser Radio', but what kind of hairdresser's broadcasts Radio 1 anyway?

I actually liked Mooney with his otters and owls, but it obviously did have wide appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Who produces that show?

His missus isnt it??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Who produces the show, that's a very good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Who produces the show, that's a very good question.

Is anyone sure it has a producer?

neris wrote: »
    His missus isnt it??

I don't think so, didn't she take time off and not come back?
    He doesn't give credits at the end of the show, but I have a feeling it's Will Hanafin.

They came as a whole package of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is anyone sure it has a producer?

A thousand monkey's chained to typewriters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He doesn't give credits at the end of the show, but I have a feeling it's Will Hanafin.

I've heard Will Hanafin being credited as the producer of Drivetime recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I thought Will had moved on to better things in the "machine ". As far as I know his missus( her name escapes me ;) ) is also gone,or probably on a career break .

I thought Will had moved on to better things in the "machine ". As far as I know his missus( her name escapes me ;) ) is also gone,or probably on a career break .

I’d go on a career break if my other half was paid €450,000 a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

He must have a holiday home in Waterford or Dunmore East he regularly talks about that area and is spotted there lots too.
    Maybe that'd the mortgage he gives out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

FFS another death sorry
    Is RTe sponsored by Massiys

Ray comfortably slotting into the ghoul role vacated by Duffy. Misery city that place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Really Sad story, must be really hard for her with 3 young kids. My wife follows her on Instagram and she gets awful abuse on her account apparently.

Is Gerry breaking in a new set of teeth......

Or on the fourth can.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is Gerry breaking in a new set of teeth......

Or on the fourth can.......

Thought that myself last week. Maybe he had a minor stroke at some stage. Someone I know did and sometimes has a similar "slur".

Advertisement