Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine marten

Options
  • 01-07-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

One was sighted on our land close to farm . Cats and hens are missing. Happy to try to trap and release to other location. Is this a possibility?? Other options??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bmc58

rje66 wrote: »
    One was sighted on our land close to farm . Cats and hens are missing. Happy to try to trap and release to other location. Is this a possibility?? Other options??

Leave them alone.They will keep the invasive Grey squirrel population down.Which is what we want.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Discuss the options with your local NPWS Ranger. In the meantime though, you might just have to up your defences!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Was at the kitchen sink a few weeks ago, one of them calmly hopped through the driveway and off out the back of our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they don't attack cats do they??

fryup wrote: »
    they don't attack cats do they??

Certainly not.A cat is much bigger than them and would possibly even kill the Pine Martin.

• Advertisement

Was at the kitchen sink a few weeks ago, one of them calmly hopped through the driveway and off out the back of our house.

Must have been lovely to see.Lovely animal.Many people have never seen a Pine Martin.Great to see it making a comeback in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bmc58 wrote: »
    Certainly not.A cat is much bigger than them and would possibly even kill the Pine Martin.

about the same size wise i think, i'd reckon they'd avoid each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Would have thought a pine marten would easily slay a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

bmc58 wrote: »

a cat is no match for a pine marten. where I am here in north Mayo it's becoming slowly infested with Marten and they are wiping out song birds and hunting ground nesting birds day and night.
    lovely animals but we don't need another preditor here

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Is this a pine marten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Previous thread here suggests it is highly unlikely pine marten would dispose of a cat.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055961687

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sorry think this will work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

catrat12 wrote: »
    Sorry think this will work

Looks like a pine marten to me alright

Sorry I know picture is awful but not bad if you zoom in

Can’t believe I saw one in my garden delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I rotated the picture and resized it might help

Cheers
    It was massive as it bounced along much bigger than a cat real long too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Larger pine martins would be more substantial than a domestic cat and a significantly more impressive predator too.

Would they eat a cat ?? Not sure, but if their usual food source isn’t abundant who knows. They certainly massacre chickens without remorse. Killing for the sake of killing rather than killing to eat. Have seen a whole pen of chickens killed overnight by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Storm 10

catrat12 wrote: »
    Cheers
    It was massive as it bounced along much bigger than a cat real long too

If you save the picture to your desktop the click on it and zoom in it looks like one ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

_Brian wrote: »
    They certainly massacre chickens without remorse. Killing for the sake of killing rather than killing to eat.
    it's not a situation they'd have found themselves in, in the sense that on an evolutionary scale, they'd have evolved to react that when food is available, kill it or it will escape.
    'killing for the sake of it' is not the way i'd phrase it. they're not doing it for enjoyment.

Wonder will I ever see the pine marten again in the garden don’t want to leave food out cause had rats before, plenty of rabbits around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Benny mcc wrote: »
    a cat is no match for a pine marten. where I am here in north Mayo it's becoming slowly infested with Marten and they are wiping out song birds and hunting ground nesting birds day and night.

They're only coming back to their original habitat where they were until humans started killing them all.
    Native prey species numbers will drop then bounce back to their natural levels as they've evolved to live in the same environment as their predator species.
    Hopefully grey squirrels won't adapt and will continue get obliterated.
    Cats on the other hand have 24 very sharp ways to injure a pine marten, predators always go for the safest easiest meals so cats will be a long way down their list of all preferred prey

They're only coming back to their original habitat where they were until humans started killing them all.
    Native prey species numbers will drop then bounce back to their natural levels as they've evolved to live in the same environment as their predator species.
    Cats on the other hand have 24 very sharp ways to injure a pine marten, predators always go for the safest easiest meals so cats will be a long way down their list of all preferred prey

Bounce back ?? have you had a look around lately ? nothing on this rock is bouncing back so introducing a high end predator at this stage is madness. If we had an abundance of whatever they eat and I assure you it's not fruit and nuts as some would have you think they may have a place here. Beautiful animal that hunts for food not fun . In a perfect world yes but not now! I see them and deal with them every two weeks or so and they are destructive to say the least and near impossible to keep out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Bounce back ?? have you had a look around lately ? nothing on this rock is bouncing back so introducing a high end predator at this stage is madness. If we had an abundance of whatever they eat and I assure you it's not fruit and nuts as some would have you think they may have a place here. Beautiful animal that hunts for food not fun . In a perfect world yes but not now! I see them and deal with them every two weeks or so and they are destructive to say the least and near impossible to keep out

If the numbers don't bounce back we can just introduce a new predator or two to tackle the original one. Maybe arm a newly introduced species with a novel virus that will keep the numbers down to a more natural one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

I think you'll find the 325,000 domestic cats in the country (which isn't a native creature to Ireland) kills far more song birds than the 2,700 native Pine Martens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Am I understanding correctly from your posts that you think the Pine Marten has been introduced to Ireland? They are a native species making a comeback in numbers in recent decades but still relatively rarely seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If you ever catch one by the tail, hold onto the fur, it makes a nice watercolor brush.

Deagol wrote: »
    I think you'll find the 325,000 domestic cats in the country (which isn't a native creature to Ireland) kills far more song birds than the 2,700 native Pine Martens!

you're right on the cat story and every cat that shows up here won't get to leave. If I had a dog that I let come and go as it wants how would that work out. I've had cats get in and kill partridge here and who will replace them? cat owners think it's ok to let the little sweetheart out at night and do as it likes. 2700 ? Don t know who did the last count but they didn't come here or anywhere I know of to do it. I don't know the figures but I'd be thinking they're far higher than that. If forestry wasn't so widespread I think the marten numbers would be a bit more sustainable. they are a beautiful creature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

you're right on the cat story and every cat that shows up here won't get to leave. If I had a dog that I let come and go as it wants how would that work out. I've had cats get in and kill partridge here and who will replace them? cat owners think it's ok to let the little sweetheart out at night and do as it likes. 2700 ? Don t know who did the last count but they didn't come here or anywhere I know of to do it. I don't know the figures but I'd be thinking they're far higher than that. If forestry wasn't so widespread I think the marten numbers would be a bit more sustainable. they are a beautiful creature

Widespread forestry? You do know that Ireland is the least forested country in Europe??

• Advertisement

Am I understanding correctly from your posts that you think the Pine Marten has been introduced to Ireland? They are a native species making a comeback in numbers in recent decades but still relatively rarely seen.

Actually they were reintroduced up this side of the country (Mayo)and probably other parts. they do travel long distance too. look it up

Advertisement