Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you talk to your neighbours?

Options
  • 08-07-2020 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I know a few of our immediate neighbours, we exchange Christmas cards and the likes but I don't know anything about their background or what they do etc. I tend to avoid getting into situations where we have to talk.

I got caught last week and had to chat to the man next door. All "how are you coping with lockdown" chat. It was awful. I was out for a walk this morning and noticed him driving past me. Knowing that we'd end up going into each other's houses at the same time, and that we'd emptied the "lockdown" chat I was worried that all I had was weather-talk. So I stopped walking, gave it a few minutes (5 I think) and luckily he had parked up and gone in by the time I got back.

It's nice to be nice, but I see no reason why geographic proximity means we should be friends.

So do you talk to your neighbours, are you friendly with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That's the most anxious/millenial/2020 thread you'll see today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

So I stopped walking, gave it a few minutes (5 I think) and luckily he had parked up and gone in by the time I got back.

He probably sat in his car pretending to be taking a call for a few minutes for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'm not mad on the bland conversation with people you partially know. An amount is required when you live in a city but I have to say I dread the covid chats with neighbours.

The same conversation over and over. If they haven't spotted me sometimes I just cross the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

He probably sat in his car pretending to be taking a call for a few minutes for the same reason.

Ha! The car was clear I think. Last weekend though, he did only come out to mow the lawn after I'd finished ours. So maybe we're on the same level?
    Agricola wrote: »
    That's the most anxious/millenial/2020 thread you'll see today.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to avoid awkward situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Ha! The car was clear I think. Last weekend though, he did only come out to mow the lawn after I'd finished ours. So maybe we're on the same level?

Easiest way to confirm whether he thinks the same as you is to check if they have a doorbell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm civil and courteous with them, I give them time-of-day when appropriate, but as the old folks used to say, if you don't fall in you don't fall out.

The only person who is directly a neighbour of mine is a complete religious nut job who hates us and thinks I am the devil incarnate for living with and procreating with two women. He has been known to fling holy water over the border into our garden while praying for us.

I am active enough in the community at large though - so would be talking a lot with neighbours slightly further afield. I think it is nice to have people in the general area who are mutually supportive. Not quite friends or family - but still an extended social circle who you can rely on on occasion and them on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good fences make good neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,248 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some lovely neighbours thankfully they would all take in package for you etc as well putting out bins.
    We also have spare keys of two sets of neighbours and vice versa.
    The two houses on either side I would just say hello too but no animosity
    Here about 5 years a really normal Dublin terrace street.

I lived in a big apartment complex for about 7 years barely knew anyone to even say hello too

That's not awkward situation though.

• Advertisement

I like to make connections with people. I think a sense of community with others can be important but am aware also for the need to be left alone and not feel pressure to chat with your neighbours. I grew up on a small street with the same people living there for decades. It's really nice. People look out for each other there.
    Where I now live my neighbour dropped in a bottle of wine to apologise for building noise. That was lovely and I really like the "how are you it's terrible weather" chit chat.
    Again for me it's all about connection and that can be done in the simplest of ways.

Agricola wrote: »
    That's not awkward situation though.

Ah it is. There's an expectation for something to be said. You wouldn't just start chatting with a man walking past you in the opposite direction in the street, would you? Yet geographical proxmity means we have to... egh

It's like when you order food and have to get it off the delivery guy, I hate that. Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Depends on my mood.

Ah it is. There's an expectation for something to be said. You wouldn't just start chatting with a man walking past you in the opposite direction in the street, would you? Yet geographical proxmity means we have to... egh

It's like when you order food and have to get it off the delivery guy, I hate that. Awkward.

Ah come on, ya lost me completely now. The takeaway delivery guy? If you have a problem saying "Thanks lad, take her handy" then you might be on a slippery slope there ;)

Riflecreek wrote: »
    These are also the type of people who don't answer a private number or the front door when someone knocks.

I want to disagree with you, but I can confirm I do not answer private number calls! I don't see why anyone would tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

It isn't awkward.
    It's just passing the time of day.

Some might suggest it's just manners.
    yYou don't need to come up with a cure for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

dont see the point in going out of your way to get on their good side. chances are you will annoy the neighbours by building an extension, having a party, or making noise. like alot of annoying things in the world that we have to put up with, neighbours are just one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

This is why I will never have neighbours and will just live on a plot of land with a house on it when I get the opportunity (renting currently). When I'm home I don't want any expectation of how I have to live relative to my neighbours.

That is, being quiet at appropriate times, being courteous to neighbours, having to have banal conversations, pretend I care about their lives. It may come across as rude but I have friends & family. I don't need to know my neighbours as the OP says be it just because of geographic proximity. I have always liked my neighbours but far too many times I've had to stop, talk for 5-10 mins when all I've wanted after a slog of a day is to get in the door.

I just simply want to be left the fcuk alone when I'm at home and be able to pump my music at any time, be able to have people over in my garden till all hours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Neighbors to my left are extremely sound, young couple early 40’s with 3 young kids, 11-16... Bump into them in the park and out in the garden the odd time and always very natural and easy to talk to, nice, kind, good humored people.

Neighbors to my right are a nice elderly couple in their early 80’s, they will say hello in passing but keep to themselves otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

We take in each other's Amazon packages if the other isn't home, that's about the height of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

I live in a small estate with mixture of young and old. All pretty civil and quiet.

Lately we've had a few new additions to the estate and they seem obsessed with organising "events".

Street parties, getting a food van to visit estate and other gatherings.

This is a pretty bland estate, not some hipster area like Stonybatter.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I live in a 30 house estate and count six of them as very good friends, mostly because I knew one of them from work anyway and having lived here for 13 years, we drink and eat socially together, loan each other tools for jobs, have helped each other for gardening jobs and have attended birthday/summer/halloween parties. Great people and absolutely makes a difference in our lives.

bullpost wrote: »
    I live in a small estate with mixture of young and old. All pretty civil and quiet.

Lately we've had a few new additions to the estate and they seem obsessed with organising "events".

Street parties, getting a food van to visit estate and other gatherings.

This is a pretty bland estate, not some hipster area like Stonybatter.

Anyone else seeing this?

Similar here... we used to have a residents association but when the people involved got old or passed away it died. A few new young families have now taken up the baton, there is a Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp group for all the goings on...I have to say it’s a good and positive thing.

An example, the county council had really slacked off on things like grass cutting, doing the verges, maintaining the big green, you might see it done twice a year. The odd tree looks like it needs some branches removed or trimmed as they hit cars if they are attempted to be parked under them.

Guys in the group suggested that everyone with a grass verge outside their gate might spend 30 minutes every two weeks cutting the grass and doing the verge / border. They organized for flowerbeds to be planted on the four corners of the big green.. everyone in the group can see the fruits of the labor with loads of pics of the work being done and the finished product. It’s encourages people to get involved as it looks like fun, is fun and creates a really nice inclusive atmosphere regardless of if you are new, an old stager or otherwise...

They organize a summer bbq, Halloween party / trick or treat etc.... good stuff.

Most of the oddballs on boards.ie are terrified of talking to their neighbours, they lack basic social skills. These are also the type of people who don't answer a private number or the front door when someone knocks.
    Don't be so quick to judge. Where you refer to "oddballs", some people have social anxiety or the like. Things that might seem trivial to you or me can be an excruciating ordeal to someone with Aspergers or social anxiety.

I once lived with a guy who was a huge amount of fun, but only in small groups -- I think he'd nearer pull a tooth than come to a party, or come into the living room when people were visiting. I hate that word 'oddball', almost as awful as the word 'weird'. It's so juvenile. Some people are different, and that's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'd be quite neighbourly with the houses close by. It's a pretty quiet estate.

People miss important hospital appointments because they don't answer private numbers.

They quite simply do not. Hospital appointments are issued via letter, through An Post. If a hospital appointment is changed, another letter arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I heard a great story lately, new neighbours (a couple) moved in and they really were keeping to themselves but one day they were walking down the path and saw some neighbours coming their way, they hopped over a wall through briers and bushed to get away from them lol a lot of people have become very unsocial and its sad, to much facebook and phones have people ruined. im surprised people can even become part of a couple these days they are so anti social.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

We get on very well with one of our neighbours - our kids are the same age ranges and we enjoy their company. Would often go in next door for coffee and vice versa, and in nice weather would have each other over for BBQs and have a few drinks together. We borrow each others tools, talk about prospective home improvements, share lifts to\from school with kids, etc.

Our other neighbours are very quiet and never showed any interest in getting to know us, which is also fine with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Yes. I've been living here for 10 years and know many of them, to differing degrees and for different reasons.

There are a couple of street parties that the neighbourhood association and community centre arrange every year and I've been helping with Halloween. We make a haunted laneway, do arts and crafts with the children and run a competition for the best decorated (front of) house and garden. We also design and distribute a flyer so who ever wants to take part in giving trick or treats can stick it in their window so that families know they're welcome to knock on the door. It's really fun.

Otherwise, I'm very close to 2 of them in particular on my street and see them at least once per week socially (but borrowing cups of sugar etc every other day :D). My first went to stay with one of them when I was having my second. 2 more have children that play with my children so they're in and out of the house a bit. The neighbours on either side of us we're on small chat terms with. Then there's 4 or 5 more that I meet up with walking the dog.

It's been really lovely, especially during lockdown, to know that I have people I can call on, and to know that people feel like they can rely on me. With the first 2 families, we had a kind of self isolated "cell". None of us were at the office and we barely had to leave the house, because we did eachother's grocery shopping. Very handy for us especially, because ours are small and couldn't be left alone, and work days were pretty full on with no childcare. We could pop over to eachother to get a breather from the house or if we didn't feel like cooking one night. I also reached out to my more elderly neighbours to make sure they had everything they wanted and they were fine too, which I think goes to show what a tight knit community we have here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Spent a few minutes running after the neighbours sheep who had broken out. Happy to do it as he helps me all the time with my own. We have great neighbours here and have a village BBQ once a year thats great craic.

Advertisement