Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Actor of the modern era?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Actors are meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Michael Caine,also Kurt Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 35,699 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Halle Berry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Michael Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

John Connors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jiltloop wrote: »
    Until fairly recently I would have went with Leo Di Caprio but I'm finding him to be a bit samey these days in that a lot of his characters are very similar. One of his last great performances I think was Shutter Island.
    Until fairly recently I would have went with Leo Di Caprio but I'm finding him to be a bit samey these days in that a lot of his characters are very similar. One of his last great performances I think was Shutter Island.[/quoted]

I’ve felt that way about DiCaprio for years. I get that people defended him when he was dismissed as the Titanic pretty boy because he is better than that. But I find him a bit limited at times.

I don't see how either you can say di Caprio is "samey" when you compare his performances in "The Revenant" to "Wolf on Wall Street" and "Once Upon a Time in America".

3 completely different performances with different requirements and demands that show he's come a long way in his art from his Titanic days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

jim salter wrote: »
    John Connors

A bit typecast for my liking. We need to see the full extent of his acting range.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Tom hanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see how either you can say di Caprio is "samey" when you compare his performances in "The Revenant" to "Wolf on Wall Street" and "Once Upon a Time in America".

3 completely different performances with different requirements and demands that show he's come a long way in his art from his Titanic days.

Hollywood cuz

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Modern era?

Since the invention of talkies? Since WWII? Since yesterday?
    What's modern era?

Since Netflix started, boomers!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'London', the dog who played the title character in 'The Littlest Hobo'.

Sean Connery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Javier Bardem, all the way back to Jamón Jamón.

Brilliant actor...love the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Michael Fassbender

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Frances Mc Dormand is bloody brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Cate Blanchett would be up there for me.. I think William H Macy manages to lift anything he is in

She's shíte in everything must give good head

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brendan Gleeson closely followed by Domhnall Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Adam driver.

Amazing in marriage story and Paterson

81eb267eabd734459910001e8424aebbfebe9ed3.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I’m surprised there are so many different actors being proposed as the best. For me, one actor is well ahead of the rest and that is Marlon Brando. He brought method acting into the mainstream and the intensity/passion he brought to his roles is unsurpassed.

His greatest roles for me were in On The Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Godfather but The Wild One and Last Tango in Paris would be in any other actor’s Top 3. Even his cameo in Apocalypse Now (greatest movie ever made) is exquisite!

He was MILES ahead of his time in the causes he supported (the environment, black civil rights, justice for native Americans) and was willing to risk opprobrium to promote these issues. This is irrelevant to his acting ability, of course, but I thought it should be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Samuel L Jackson.

Amy Adams

Tom Hanks

Emily Blunt

Gary Oldman

Generally if any of those are in the cast then it has a significantly better than average chance of being a good film.

• Advertisement

Marlon Brando was top class alright, He even gave a air of legitimacy and real legend to the first two proper Superman films, the fact he was involved in the storyline of them. Its no wonder the rest were a heap of wollix

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Christopher Walken
    MV5BMjA4ODUyNDQ2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODk2MTYz._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I’m surprised there are so many different actors being proposed as the best. For me, one actor is well ahead of the rest and that is Marlon Brando. He brought method acting into the mainstream and the intensity/passion he brought to his roles is unsurpassed.

His greatest roles for me were in On The Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Godfather but The Wild One and Last Tango in Paris would be in any other actor’s Top 3. Even his cameo in Apocalypse Now (greatest movie ever made) is exquisite!

He was MILES ahead of his time in the causes he supported (the environment, black civil rights, justice for native Americans) and was willing to risk opprobrium to promote these issues. This is irrelevant to his acting ability, of course, but I thought it should be mentioned.

He's not modern era tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

murpho999 wrote: »

I haven’t seen all his films but I’ve seen many of them and I find him limited sometimes. I don’t think I need to have seen every single of his roles to think that. At times, I have found myself not believing what he was trying to portray, especially when he does that gurning thing that he tends to do. If I’m pulled out of a scene by an actor’s performance, that’s not good and that sometimes happens with him.

I also clearly said he deserved to rise above Titanic as he is far better than that film. In fact, he had good performances under his belt pre-Titanic. He is just nowhere near my favourite actor. I have a few but he’s not one of them.

Peter O'Toole
    John Wayne

Vestiapx wrote: »
    He's not modern era tho.

He basically created the modern era of method acting though. To go full into a character, to become the character, that's what Brando first brought to the table in mainstream hollywood, before that, leading actors were basically a formulaic, cheekboned, powderfaced smartarse and that was it

Chris Pratt in Parks & Rec.
    Any of these other tools would be glad to work alongside him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's an impossible task for me. Though I would give a major nod to Peter O'Toole. His first film was Lawrence of Arabia and he absolutely nailed it. The sedimentary layers of emotion and will he could command in a scene was way up there. All his contemporaries were universally in awe of the guy's talent. Anthony Hopkins first film(and Timothy Dalton's) the Lion in Winter. Catherine Hepburn was the main woman in it(another great actor). Baptism of fire for Tony and Tim. :D

They did well enough. Apparently on the stage he was magnetic, a real tour de force. And if you want an interesting life behind it. Hellraiser doesn't come into it. Publicists today would have coronaries working for the guy. :D
    buried wrote: »
    He basically created the modern era of method acting though. To go full into a character, to become the character, that's what Brando first brought to the table in mainstream hollywood, before that, leading actors were basically a formulaic, cheekboned, powderfaced smartarse and that was it
    Of the formulaic, cheekboned, powderfaced smartarses, I'd give the gong for brilliance to Cary Grant. Jimmy Stewart was bloody good. Bette Davis was rocking it too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Feisar wrote: »
    Daniel Day Lewis
    He’s the best over actor of all time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vestiapx wrote: »
    He's not modern era tho.

Of course he is. He was at his peak in the seventies, how is that not modern?

Don't confuse it with contemporary.

Advertisement