Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling into talk radio shows

Options
  • 05-07-2020 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever done it? I'm thinking mainly of the Niall Boylan show on Classic Hits 4FM or Dublin Talks with Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon on 98FM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It’s mostly staff/actors and shut-ins that call isn’t it?

I texted the Niall boylan show once taking the piss going..

It's an outrage.. it's political correctness gone mad..

They rang me back within about 30 seconds to go on air..

I was like "ah..no thanks.."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I think forums like Current Affairs and sites like Twitter have given the oddballs, weirdos, malcontents, ne’er-do-wells, cranks, mouth breathers, and Shinnerbots a more effective platform for spewing their hate-filled bile. Which is all they want. For someone, anyone, to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

This thread is already running in the radio forum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Has anyone here ever done it? I'm thinking mainly of the Niall Boylan show on Classic Hits 4FM or Dublin Talks with Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon on 98FM.

Call in? I wouldn't even listen to them never mind talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I was on Cork talks back with Charlie Wolf loads of times back around 2002

Hard enough to get on. First have to get through, then convince the lad who answers the phone that you're not a langer. They also had a profanity delay system that would stretch out the audio gently while they went from being live to about 10 seconds behind live.

If they get a langer on the phone shouting abuse they can press a big red shiny button to cut him off before the abuse gets transmitted. If he gets a few of those langers in succession he has to talk sh1te for a while until the system builds up more delay to accommodate the next batch of langers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I once rang a local radio station when I was 6 to speak to santy clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Your mistake is thinking people ring in, I’d say a genuine call is a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Sent a text to Newstalk in 2006 ranting at what a mess we were under Steve Staunton. They called me back and put me on air.

That was the third game of his reign, a 4-0 defeat by the Netherlands where our defence was worse than schoolboys in terms of positioning. I was pretty much in the minority at that point (most people thought “ah give him a chance”). Within a few months the whole country knew we were ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A lot of the time it's the producers ringing the people to go on air. You'll hear it said on Liveline - "your producers rang me there".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I personally think that Mr. F should have his own radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Chris Barry and Adrian Kennedy were two lads I used to listen to in my late teens and early twenties, could be entertaining but when you copped on after a while that you’d have the same voices calling in just using different names, taking whatever side of whatever argument it’s a fairly pointless exercise.

I think if there had been ( I just presume there wasn’t ) a broadcasting standards organization they could and should have done them for that... sleezy stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate of mines oul lad use to constantly ring into the local radio station, whatever the church stance was on something he would be on in agreement.
    He ended up getting barred off it in the end, it was quite funny though he would be literally fit to explode with outrage n couldn't string a sentance together as a result. I think all the kids moved out asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

and what would you call them about, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

and what would you call them about, OP?

Sure he would only ring them up,ask some obscured,off the wall question.And hang up without offering his own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something to occupy people with nothing better to do.
    Whingebag radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rang the niall boylan show a few times , not in about two years though , he left me on for about five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No, would you chance it yourself?

Could be bitta craic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

I was on famous for 15 seconds on Rick O'Shea's night time 2fm show in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

I was on Cork talks back with Charlie Wolf loads of times back around 2002

Hard enough to get on. First have to get through, then convince the lad who answers the phone that you're not a langer. They also had a profanity delay system that would stretch out the audio gently while they went from being live to about 10 seconds behind live.

If they get a langer on the phone shouting abuse they can press a big red shiny button to cut him off before the abuse gets transmitted. If he gets a few of those langers in succession he has to talk sh1te for a while until the system builds up more delay to accommodate the next batch of langers

Charlie is a legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

bring back the FM 104 open line that was such a great show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozD_ipwjc5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQhwnCc2BiQ

patrickc wrote: »

Whatever happened to Greg Merriman ? He was the presenter I think. An awful messer in a good way. It was mad fun. Mad late into the night / morning have you in stitches... I’d love to know the whereabouts of Greg and what he’s up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Knew a lad who was once paid to ring in to a well known chat show back in the 90s.
    Basically he was supposed to represent a stock character and rile the listeners up to get them all calling in.
    Boards seems to have a few like that nowadays.

Same here, a guy I used to work with used to and maybe still does that kind of thing. Don’t know why the guy doesn’t exactly need the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

good man Feg -new day, new inane thread.
    Pose a light question, vague enough, and then disappear.

Gets away with it too.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

patrickc wrote: »

Was it called the open line or overnighter? Was great craic. Was part of my summer holiday routine as a teen. Playing championship manager 97/98 and listening to the phone show in the background, people would purposely refer to Adrian Kennedy as Chris and he’d get pissed off and cut them off immediately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There was some great craic in Limerick for years with an illegal station. A guy called Gerry Hannan used to take callers at night. They were more than real. From all over the city and county.

The standout memory for me was a call from a poor chap who lived in Catherine St. complaining about nightly harrasment at his door by gangs of urchins. The chap happened to be gay. Cue a follow-on call from the late Councillor Michael 'Hard Man' Kelly. Tried to insinuate the victim was a pedophile with no evidence, just sort of offering it as a corollary of homosexuality. Hannan lost the rag. But yet he couldn't too much, if you get me. Would never get the likes on a legit show. Those days are gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

topper75 wrote: »
    There was some great craic in Limerick for years with an illegal station. A guy called Gerry Hannan used to take callers at night. They were more than real. From all over the city and county.

The standout memory for me was a call from a poor chap who lived in Catherine St. complaining about nightly harrasment at his door by gangs of urchins. The chap happened to be gay. Cue a follow-on call from the late Councillor Michael 'Hard Man' Kelly. Tried to insinuate the victim was a pedophile with no evidence, just sort of offering it as a corollary of homosexuality. Hannan lost the rag. But yet he couldn't too much, if you get me. Would never get the likes on a legit show. Those days are gone now.

So basically open season for blatant defamation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    So basically open season for blatant defamation :pac:

If you were willing to take a case against Cllr. Kelly, then yeah.
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Advertisement