Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro 16” €2374 on amazon, €3299 on Apple

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Intel processor it's going the way of the dodo in Apples eyes. Not a bargain at any price. Wait for the new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Intel processor it's going the way of the dodo in Apples eyes. Not a bargain at any price. Wait for the new ones.

It’s still a cracking laptop at that price. Yeah Apple have their own coming out but would you really recommend waiting for the 1at gen version of that? Also if you want to run windows on the new processor you won’t be able to

Yea I would recommend waiting. It's not a good long term investment like a MacBook should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Apple will have to provide long term support for all existing devices. It's a key element on how they get away with charging so much for their devices. If the "old" Intel powered devices stop working properly in a few months so does Apple's business model.

And looking at the track record of Apple and most tech companies I wouldn't buy a 1st generation anything. So you're talking at least 18 months before the 2nd gen comes out.

I wouldn't worry about buying a MacBook now especially if the price is good.

It's not even a good price there's tons being offloaded by distribution company's I've been offered some in the last few weeks, I'm sticking with my advice of don't touch.

Don't buy a Mac.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2020/06/27/apple-just-killed-the-macbook-as-we-know-it-dont-buy-a-mac-is-good-advice---macbook-pro-macbook-air-on-hold/

• Advertisement

It's not even a good price there's tons being offloaded by distribution company's I've been offered some in the last few weeks, I'm sticking with my advice of don't touch.

Don't buy a Mac.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2020/06/27/apple-just-killed-the-macbook-as-we-know-it-dont-buy-a-mac-is-good-advice---macbook-pro-macbook-air-on-hold/

Can you show me where you can get it at a better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Do we know how much the 1st generation Apple Macbook will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

I would have been tempted by this in the past but I agree with drunkmonkey, it's not a good long term investment.

Intel-based Macs will be superseded within 2 years as Apple transitions to their new ARM "Apple Silicon" processors. I am old enough to remember buying a powerPC iMac just as the Intel era began and it was a terrible decision. Some "universal" software worked for a while but eventually it couldn't be updated as the older PowerPC based software companies phased out support. I expect a very similar situation with the move from Intel to ARM.

I'd wait unless you absolutely need it now for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't buy a Mac.

Whilst I agree with your point in general; I feel it's a little bit disingenuous.

yes apple are coming out with their own chips but apple said the transition of the line-up will take two years. They even said there's new intel Macs coming. so if you buy an intel Mac 1 day before the entire lineup is changed to Apple Silicon they'll still have to support it for another 2-3 years. That's about 5 years of support.

We need to look at the specific need of who's buying this; this is not a good laptop for just home use, if you live in a browser, email then yeah not great. If you're a freelancer and need an updated machine for photoshop/illustrator or a programmer with Xcode etc. and can write the expense off over 3-5 years (and yes this machine would be a daily driver for at least 5 years) it's a decent deal buying here vs buying at apple. It's still a bargain if the right buyer buys it, it does have "Pro" in the name after all.

Also Forbes or any media outlet love the sensationalistic headlines in order to drive ad-clicks :pac:

Don't buy a Mac.

you're not exactly known for your advice on boards tho e.g.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058055941

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057847047

I wouldn't be into apple laptops as they imo are over-priced but it's perfectly safe to buy one currently to use it for the next 6 years at least

Apple are very well known for providing long-term support for their products in comparison to 99% of other companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

magicmoves wrote: »
    Do we know how much the 1st generation Apple Macbook will cost?

Knowing Apple it'll be the guts of €4000 which is a lot to pay for a 1st Gen anything.

glasso wrote: »
    Apple are very well known for providing long-term support for their products in comparison to 99% of other companies

I've 3 iMac's, A MacBook and a MacBook pro all perfect working machines and all abandoned by Apple, I had to buy a new iMac recently as Apple blocked them from updating iPhones I think past iOS 11. I have 0 faith in them providing long term support for these apple machines they will invest 0 in cross compatibility and I doubt any software updates in 2yrs time.

As for investment advice, you've ignored all the mulit baggers, some of us actually turn a profit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yea I would recommend waiting. It's not a good long term investment like a MacBook should be.

How is it an investment? It will lose value.

I've 3 iMac's, A MacBook and a MacBook pro all perfect working machines and all abandoned by Apple, I had to buy a new iMac recently as Apple blocked them from updating iPhones I think past iOS 11. I have 0 faith in them providing long term support for these apple machines they will invest 0 in cross compatibility and I doubt any software updates in 2yrs time.

As for investment advice, you've ignored all the mulit baggers, some of us actually turn a profit.

Why did you need to use a computer to update your phone?

godtabh wrote: »
    How is it an investment? It will lose value.

They hold there value very well, these won't though, I can already buy them cheaper than this supposed deal. A large Irish business cancelled a huge order recently, these are now being offered on the wholesale market very cheap, I'm not sure of the reason but this could be behind it

Why did you need to use a computer to update your phone?

It's part of a business service, it's multiple phones constantly.

advocating the blindingly obvious escobar phone scam - that was an all-time classic! (especially as it was their second scam after already scamming people not long beforehand)

what are your muti-baggers - do tell?

I only recall your distinctive username from those 2 infamous threads

In terms of consumer electronics the length of time apple provides in supporting its products in the category of laptops and phones is the longest in those categories compared to other companies in the segment, whether you are happy with it or not.

It's part of a business service, it's multiple phones constantly.

What does that mean though? Why do these phones need a computer to update their software? Just curious.

And what is your source for your claim that Apple blocked older iMacs from updating iPhones?

And what is your source for your claim hthat Apple blocked older iMacs from updating iPhones?

There's a thread on it, maybe glasso will dig it out.

They hold there value very well, these won't though, I can already buy them cheaper than this supposed deal. A large Irish business cancelled a huge order recently, these are now being offered on the wholesale market very cheap, I'm not sure of the reason but this could be behind it

Can a personal buyer access this wholesale market?

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting for the investment gold mines that you mention - or should I wait for the Escobar phone 3?

glasso wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the investment gold mines that you mention - or should I wait for the Escobar phone 3?

If he's lucky that might be a re-skinned Macbook Pro. :pac:

If he's lucky that might be a re-skinned Macbook Pro. :pac:

I can see the marketing campaign now - "RIP Apple - the Escobar OrangeBook will conquer all"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why do you keep buying Macs then ?

And anyone that calls a laptap an investment or asset needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

listermint wrote: »

And anyone that calls a laptap an investment or asset needs their head examined.
    agree with it not being an investment, but it is an asset albeit it a depreciating asset like a car or a gold stickered folding phone :pac:.

listermint wrote: »

in fairness it is a great investment compared to a phone scam where they just take all your money or to a cryptocurrency mining company trading at less than 10% of the value a lot of people bought in it so there is that.

Get down off that horse, there's been hundreds of trades discussed and plenty of good returns. You won't always pick a winner.
    Escobar phone was a bit of a laugh, you should have taken it as such, it's just something to chat about, throwing it back in a different unrelated threads is you being an arsehole go follow someone else around from thread to thead slagging them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Just a little question. I think I read somewhere Microsoft has become the most valuable company again and a lot of businesses are making new machines windows only etc

Would future proofing be better with a windows machine over an apple machine? Not coming from a place or apple hate, have often enjoyed their devices just wondering especially at the money might a windows device be better for a lot of people

Just a little question. I think I read somewhere Microsoft has become the most valuable company again and a lot of businesses are making new machines windows only etc

Would future proofing be better with a windows machine over an apple machine? Not coming from a place or apple hate, have often enjoyed their devices just wondering especially at the money might a windows device be better for a lot of people

Apple have a strong market position with the apple die-hards - they will be sticking around.

• Advertisement

Deal seems to be gone now, only a used like new one left which is about €50 cheaper.

Picked up the original new one, not really sure I need it as my late 2013 MacBook retina pro is still going well but should be able to get decent enough money for it so will be a good enough upgrade I think.

Advertisement