Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party wish list.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

efanton wrote: »
    Article 47 Pedal Cyclists
    overtaking using the wrong side of the road approaching a bend is illegal not matter whether it you are driving a car or cycling. Constantly cycling three abreast is not legal but I see that most Sunday's when these lads our out.

I'm willing to bet you see cyclists travelling 3 abreast (aside from overtaking) less than .1% of the time.

We should be finding ways for as many cyclists as possible to be on the road.
    Advantages include
    • Less congestion
    • Healthier
    • Often faster (within cities)
    • Cheaper
    • Less pollution

This idea of penalising those who want to cycle belongs with the idea of having a flag in front of a motorcar to warn horses from the 19th century.

It is regressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

We spend a bunch of money too on bus lanes, but buses and taxis aren't obliged to use them. They can use the road if it's faster or more convenient.

Yes, it is illegal. Why were you bringing legal behaviour, such as cycling two abreast into it?

It helps when you read what is said, you know the whole sentence, not just the part you want to comment on.

I said this
    I live out in the country and we have a local cycling club in a near by town. Every Sunday you will see them cycling two and three abreast on a road barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other that has sharp bends. Numerous people have complained to that particular club about this, and it is only a matter of time when some innocent car driver comes round a blind bend and hits a cyclist who is on the wrong side of the road. If the organised clubs cant even get their members to obey the rules of the road then I cant see how you can argue that cyclists do not put themselves and other road users at risk of serious injury on a frequent and regular basis.

The phrase I used was two and three abreast.
    Now you have agreed cycling three abreast is against the law.

In the circumstances that I explained a very narrow road where barely two cars can pass, do you not think even two abreast is dangerous especially as there are many bend and you cant see more than a hundred yards ahead most of the time.
    If something is technically legal it doesn't mean you have to do it. A bit of common sense should prevail, but sadly this is lacking with many cyclists, they ride as if they own the road, and in the event of an accident it is never their fault nor do they acknowledge their actions contributing to it.

While riding two abreast they will not even go into single file if a car is behind them and wishes to overtake. They are not oblige to by law, but common sense and a bit of goodwill goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its all falling into place for them, a Green Lord Mayor as well.

I'm willing to bet you see cyclists travelling 3 abreast (aside from overtaking) less than .1% of the time.

We should be finding ways for as many cyclists as possible to be on the road.
    Advantages include
    • Less congestion
    • Healthier
    • Often faster (within cities)
    • Cheaper
    • Less pollution

This idea of penalising those who want to cycle belongs with the idea of having a flag in front of a motorcar to warn horses from the 19th century.

It is regressive.

I see it most Sunday when the local cycling club is out.

I thought the whole purpose of the Green campaign to spend 370 million was to provide cycle lanes so that cyclists do not have to use the roads amongst traffic.
    Are the cycling lobby now arguing that having provided cyclists with a dedicated cycle lane they should not be required to use it. That they are perfectly safe on the road with the cars and lorries?
    If that's the case why are we building them?

It was the law that cyclists had to use the cycle paths when provided, but the cycling groups campaigned to have this repealed.
    You would have to wonder do the Greens and the cycling lobby actually know what they want?

As stated in an earlier post, I am quite happy for the government to spend the money putting cycling lanes in place so that there is a safe space for them, what I simply do not understand is why should we waste that money if cyclists will not use them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

if you had read what I actually said rather than jump to a conclusion that suits your purpose you might have got it. Were there not horse and carts transporting goods on the roads before the car?

You're still completely wrong. Roads exist to transport goods and people and always have. And bikes have been using them for longer than cars.
    The PF is not reversing anything. Cyclist simply were not in the picture when the existing roads were built. They are now trying to use roads that were never designed with cyclists in mind. That cannot be corrected for many existing roads, but I agree the Greens would be doing very badly if they did not address this by getting planning laws changed so that every new road built had cycle lanes installed.

Bikes have been around longer than cars. Many roads in cities in Ireland were around before cars, and while you are correct that roads built in the last century were not built with bikes (or often pedestrians) in mind, we can correct that now. What the PfG is correcting is the massive disparity in spending on roads for private vehicles over public transport.
    as for roads that have no space available to build cycle lanes or bus lanes, we are just going to have to live with what is already there. Suggesting that we turn these roads into cycle only thoroughfares is pure nonsense. All you would do is increase congestion elsewhere, and often that road might be the only viable route for a car, bus or lorry.

Why is it nonsense? Bikes are more efficient at moving people through a town or city than cars ever will be. Bus routes can be adapted to take advantage of the one way systems. Also, traffic evaporation is a well understood and massively evidenced phenomenon. When you make driving places harder, fewer people drive.
    I live out in the country and we have a local cycling club in a near by town. Every Sunday you will see them cycling two and three abreast on a road barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other that has sharp bends. Numerous people have complained to that particular club about this, and it is only a matter of time when some innocent car driver comes round a blind bend and hits a cyclist who is on the wrong side of the road. If the organised clubs cant even get their members to obey the rules of the road then I cant see how you can argue that cyclists do not put themselves and other road users at risk of serious injury on a frequent and regular basis.

If cycling two abreast puts them on the wrong side of the road, then the road is barely fit for one direction of cars, let alone two.

This is completely irrelevant to the point however. Many cyclists break the rules of the road, but a certain degree of adherence to the rules of the road has never been a prerequisite for infrastructure for any other road user. Otherwise we would have no infrastructure.

There is one inescapable fact. Private vehicle transport is utterly unsustainable and can not and will not be something encouraged or enabled going forward. It leads to nothing but clogged cities that are impossible to transit. It doesn't matter what your views are on cyclists, public transport or anything else - congestion in Dublin is one of the worst in Europe and is only going to get worse. More people need to be moved from private transport to public transport and active travel on a purely economic ground. This doesn't even touch the climate issues around private transport. Cities are for people, not cars and if there is any restriction on transit through the city it should (and inevitably will) be on the cars, not on anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Podge_irl wrote: »

There is one inescapable fact. Private vehicle transport is utterly unsustainable and can not and will not be something encouraged or enabled going forward. It leads to nothing but clogged cities that are impossible to transit. It doesn't matter what your views are on cyclists, public transport or anything else - congestion in Dublin is one of the worst in Europe and is only going to get worse. More people need to be moved from private transport to public transport and active travel on a purely economic ground. This doesn't even touch the climate issues around private transport. Cities are for people, not cars and if there is any restriction on transit through the city it should (and inevitably will) be on the cars, not on anything else.
    Congestion in Dublin is terrible because public transport is terrible. We build low rise apartments because the free ones we gave away turned into sh1 holes. With little vertical space the horizontal space turns to sprawl.
    Aside from that if public transport was cheap efficient and reliable it would be used? Bear in mind it can be dangerous and you need to put up with druggies, lads exposing themselves to my wife etc.
    No one likes policing in Ireland, jail is for people who don't pay TV licence so people can just behave as they please while waiting for their forever house.
    Aaaanyway people are so anti car now they don't want an underground rail because that might free up the streets for cars. :pac:
    Going gung ho on cycling is fine, but at least admit ye are papering over the structural cracks in our society and planning

where do I even begin.
    You're still completely wrong. Roads exist to transport goods and people and always have. And bikes have been using them for longer than cars.

If roads were only needed for bicycles why are they all over 20ft wide?
    As previously stated that were the size they are because that was the width horse and wagons could pass each other.
    Bicycles only became available in the 1880, exactly the same time as the very early cars.
    In fact the first powered car existed before the first bicycle with pedals.
    Bicycles didnt even become popular until the roads were tarmac'd specifically for cars. Cycling on cobbled or unpaved roads obviously made it a novelty rather than a serious mode of transport before this.

Bikes have been around longer than cars. Many roads in cities in Ireland were around before cars, and while you are correct that roads built in the last century were not built with bikes (or often pedestrians) in mind, we can correct that now. What the PfG is correcting is the massive disparity in spending on roads for private vehicles over public transport.
    We can correct it but only by changing the planning laws so that new roads must include cycle lanes. I mean every single new road, including those in housing estates.

Why is it nonsense? Bikes are more efficient at moving people through a town or city than cars ever will be. Bus routes can be adapted to take advantage of the one way systems. Also, traffic evaporation is a well understood and massively evidenced phenomenon. When you make driving places harder, fewer people drive.
    you are in dreamland. seriously. Yes restricting traffic in city centre might work in certain places, but to suggest you turn roads that are main arteries into one way street is just fantasy.
    As stated earlier for these roads it might not be necessary for them to have cycle lanes at all anyhow, if parallel roads had safe cycle routes.
    It may not have occurred to you but many people commute distances that are simply not practical for bicycles. You obvious have a very Dublin centric view and are not considering that the budget this government has to spend is not for Dublin city, its for the entire country.

Do you commute more than 20km to work each morning? If you do no doubt there is public transport available. To suggest that those that do not have public transport available to them, should cycle 20+ km each morning just so that you can turn city roads into bicycles lanes is not only ludicrous but totally and utterly selfish.

For nearly half the people in this country decent public transport is something that is not available to them. Any buses that do run, run on a hourly basis at best (often there is only 3 to 5 for the entire day) and often these are full to capacity already. Expecting people in rural areas to buy in to this nonsense of getting rid of cars before a viable alternative has been provided is pure stupidity.
    Now you are getting cycle lanes and still its not enough.
    Should we in the country start using ponies again?
    If cycling two abreast puts them on the wrong side of the road, then the road is barely fit for one direction of cars, let alone two.
    Now you are getting the idea. In case you didnt realise this is the case on many so called national roads in this country. There are even stretches of the N20 where there are no hard shoulders and just space enough for two lorries to pass. Same for many National roads in the west of of the country.
    THat's why there was uproar about the M20 not being built. If the M20 wasnt built hundreds of millions would still have to be spent on the existing N20 to widen it, bypass towns and villages, and bypass stretches like Ballybeg where it is neither possible to widen the road or straighten it.

The reason our cites are congested is not because of cars nor the lack of cycle lanes it has been the result of bad planning. Its this and this alone that is the cause.

Put all the jobs and shopping areas in the centre of any city and the result is too many people and vehicles in too small an area.
    Cycle lanes or getting rid of cars is not going to fix that. Changing planning laws is the only sensible way to address this, and to improve public transport so that less cars need to enter cities. However this doesn't address the problem for those who do not live in a city but must commute from rural areas. The obvious solution would be park and rides but being that the Greens have committed so much of the available money to cycle lanes, and there is little chance of significant borrowing for thing other than addressing the covid epidemic and restarting the country's economy, that is unlikely to ever happen.

Public transport is used. It is used by more than half the people who commute into Dublin every day. Only 28% of people commuting into town are doing so using private car transport - and this is just the canal cordon. Those commuting within the canals are almost exclusively not using cars. Public transport is being improved in places such as the quays be distributing the real estate more fairly - 2/3 public transport and active travel against 1/3 cars makes much more sense.

Public transport is not a solution for many, many places in Ireland. No one is going to ban cars across villages and towns in Ireland. But a reversal of funding to focus more on public transport and active travel is absolutely due.

Public transport is used. It is used by more than half the people who commute into Dublin every day. Only 28% of people commuting into town are doing so using private car transport - and this is just the canal cordon. Those commuting within the canals are almost exclusively not using cars. Public transport is being improved in places such as the quays be distributing the real estate more fairly - 2/3 public transport and active travel against 1/3 cars makes much more sense.

Public transport is not a solution for many, many places in Ireland. No one is going to ban cars across villages and towns in Ireland. But a reversal of funding to focus more on public transport and active travel is absolutely due.

We are talking about the budget of the NATIONAL government, not the local county or city council.
    Ireland does exist outside the M50, I'm sure you have seen photo's or maybe postcards.

What about those that have to commute into cites without having the opportunity of using public transport?
    The problem you have is that your view is only valid if we were talking about one single city, Dublin, and everyone in the country lived in it. Fortunately Dublin is not the only city and more than half the population does not live in it.

If roads were only needed for bicycles why are they all over 20ft wide?

I never said they were only for bicycles. I said there were for transporting goods and people. You seem to happily completely ignore the latter.
    We can correct it but only by changing the planning laws so that new roads must include cycle lanes. I mean every single new road, including those in housing estates.

We have started to correct it by changing the lanes on the quays to more accurately reflect the usage and demand of road users. Bus Connects has many proposals to correct it by reducing the amount of private vehicle lanes and increasing the number of public transport and active travel lanes.

Cycle lanes in housing estates is an utterly nonsensical idea considering the speed limit is 30kph in them and thus cars and bicycles will be travelling at an equal enough pace and we can all get along. Unless you are suggesting that drivers won't obey these limits?
    you are in dreamland. seriously. Yes restricting traffic in city centre might work in certain places, but to suggest you turn roads that are main arteries into one way street is just fantasy.
    As stated earlier for these roads it might not be necessary for them to have cycle lanes at all anyhow, if parallel roads had safe cycle routes.
    It may not have occurred to you but many people commute distances that are simply not practical for bicycles. You obvious have a very Dublin centric view and are not considering that the budget this government has to spend is not for Dublin city, its for the entire country.

The main arteries will all have bus and cycle lanes under BusConnects.

I am aware that people commute from distances that are not practical for bicycles. They would find it much easier if they did not have to deal with the traffic of all the people who don't have to drive into the city but do anyway. Why exactly is it that the minority of people coming into the city centre should be the ones who have complete access to all the road infrastructure though? I would think that given the ever decreasing number of drivers and the massive inefficiency of cars that it is they who should be restricted to some key routes into the city.
    Now you are getting the idea. In case you didnt realise this is the case on many so called national roads in this country. There are even stretches of the N20 where there are no hard shoulders and just space enough for two lorries to pass. .

If two lorries can pass, then cyclists 2 abreast are not crossing the centre line.
    The reason our cites are congested is not because of cars nor the lack of cycle lanes it has been the result of bad planning. Its this and this alone that is the cause.

No, its absolutely 100% cause of cars. It is utter fantasy to claim otherwise. The congestion is cars. Cars are not what is causing me in a car to be stuck in a queue of cars is a pretty "out there" take.

• Advertisement

We are talking about the budget of the NATIONAL government, not the local county or city council.
    Ireland does exist outside the M50, I'm sure you have seen photo's or maybe postcards.

What about those that have to commute into cites without having the opportunity of using public transport?
    The problem you have is that your view is only valid if we were talking about one single city, Dublin, and everyone in the country lived in it. Fortunately Dublin is not the only city and more than half the population does not live in it.

I am aware. The more people in Dublin who take public transport or cycle, the easier it will be for those who have to drive in to do so. It is not that complicated.

The same is true of all cities. Every person cycling or taking public transport is one less car (and it is almost inevitably one car per person) that those who have to drive need to deal with. They should be applauding the initiatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

This is completely irrelevant to the point however. Many cyclists break the rules of the road, but a certain degree of adherence to the rules of the road has never been a prerequisite for infrastructure for any other road user. Otherwise we would have no infrastructure.

And where do you fit into the Martin family.

I am aware. The more people in Dublin who take public transport or cycle, the easier it will be for those who have to drive in to do so. It is not that complicated.

The same is true of all cities. Every person cycling or taking public transport is one less car (and it is almost inevitably one car per person) that those who have to drive need to deal with. They should be applauding the initiatives.

But you have just suggested that the roads those people might use be convert to cycle only, or one way streets.

These initiatives as you call them are just ideas, but not properly thought out.

Yes we need to address cycle lanes, I have already stated I am fully behind that.
    The problem, as the Greens will quickly find out, is that there is a limited amount of money to spend.
    Like kids in a sweet shop with pocket money they will lash their money out on the first things that looks good or tasty, only to realise later in the week they have no money to spend and mam and dad will not give them any more. The same will happen to the Greens, without thinking through their policies, without costing them, they will spend on things that might not necessarily be the best choice and provide best value for money only to realise later when they have had time to actually see what the country really needs, they have no money for it. When they run to FF and FG and ask for more money to spend it will not be there.

The cheapest and most effective way to address most of our problem is a radical change to planning laws.
    As I stated earlier make it compulsory for all new roads (even those in housing estates) to have separated cycle lanes.
    If a developer wants to build a fancy new shopping centre then simply providing a car park should not be enough they should either contribute to enhancing the surrounding roads to cater for the additional traffic, and/or contribute in some way to increasing public transport that serves that shopping centre or ensuring that a public transport route is provided to that new shopping centre.

The way to fix the issues we have now because of bad planning laws in the past, is the ensure the planning laws of the future caters for the public transport needs, ensure every house must have its own off road parking so that our roads are not clogged with parked cars and cyclist can still use the roads safely.

Blaming people that use cars for all the problems is not the solution and certainly will not win popular support. If you give someone a viable alternative that is frequent, affordable and reliable and nine times out of ten they will choose to use it without the need of imposing draconian carbon taxes or persecuting them for using the only form of transport available to them. But you still have to provide for those that do not get this choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I see it most Sunday when the local cycling club is out.

I thought the whole purpose of the Green campaign to spend 370 million was to provide cycle lanes so that cyclists do not have to use the roads amongst traffic.
    Are the cycling lobby now arguing that having provided cyclists with a dedicated cycle lane they should not be required to use it. That they are perfectly safe on the road with the cars and lorries?
    If that's the case why are we building them?

The reasons why we should build cycle lanes are aforementioned and obvious. I am not sure what is the point of all this contrarian talk.
    You agree earlier that we should build such infrastructure but now want to qualify it.

As stated in an earlier post, I am quite happy for the government to spend the money putting cycling lanes in place so that there is a safe space for them, what I simply do not understand is why should we waste that money if cyclists will not use them.

Do you have any actual evidence to back up this claim that cyclists won't use infrastructure if it's provided for them? And no, accidental 'I was out one Sunday morning' is not evidence.

Now you are getting the idea. In case you didnt realise this is the case on many so called national roads in this country.

Do we have national roads in the country that is only about 3 meters wide?
    News to me!

There are even stretches of the N20 where there are no hard shoulders and just space enough for two lorries to pass. Same for many National roads in the west of of the country.
    THat's why there was uproar about the M20 not being built. If the M20 wasnt built hundreds of millions would still have to be spent on the existing N20 to widen it, bypass towns and villages, and bypass stretches like Ballybeg where it is neither possible to widen the road or straighten it.

I agree that the M20 should be built.

I agree that decades of bad planning has certainly exasperated this issue, but that alone is not the sole issue. The lack of adequate and basic public transport and cycling infrastructure has also contributed to the problem. It is not correct to state, it all just down to bad planning.

markodaly wrote: »
    The reasons why we should build cycle lanes are aforementioned and obvious. I am not sure what is the point of all this contrarian talk.
    You agree earlier that we should build such infrastructure but now want to qualify it.

Do you have any actual evidence to back up this claim that cyclists won't use infrastructure if it's provided for them? And no, accidental 'I was out one Sunday morning' is not evidence.

Yes I do.

THe law as it stand now means that even though a cycle lane is provided, cyclists are not required to use it.
    Before 2012 where a cycle lane was provided cyclist were obliged to use it.

That idiot Shane Ross changed the law. I dont recall this ever being debated in the Dail so I assume he had he power to make this change without Dail approval

https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/key-issues-concern-cyclists-irish-road-traffic-law-rtl-and-how-deal-traffic-collision
    The tendentious ‘mandatory-use’ provision of SI No. 182 of 1997 s. 14 - (3) “All pedal cycles must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided” was repealed in 2012 after successful lobbying by Cyclist.ie and Dublin Cycling Campaign over many years. We take full credit for its repeal. It was a tough fight. Unfortunately fairly soon after this amendment was introduced, the Director of Public Prosecutions apparently raised doubts about its standing with the Department of Transport. A further amendment was introduced in summer of 2018: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/si/321/made/en/print. It is no longer mandatory to use a cycle track unless it is a designated contra-flow type or a track through a pedestrian zone.

I see little point in investing over a million euro a day on cycle lanes if cyclist have campaigned for the right not to use them, to the extent that a law was repealed in order for them to choose nor to use infrastructure put in place for their benefit and safety.

They either want cycle lanes and will use them, or dont want them and prefer to use the road. Either one is fine with me, but to suggest we spent hundreds of millions on cycle lanes in a bid to make roads safer for cyclist and then cyclists campaigning for the right to refuse to use them is nonsensical and pure waste of money.
    It seems they want their bread buttered on both sides.

Personally I would put in the lanes, (they are needed and I don't deny that), but change the law back again so that cyclist are obliged to use them where they are provided

I'm sure a million euro a day could be spent on an equally worthy cause.

Yes I do.

THe law as it stand now means that even though a cycle lane is provided, cyclists are not required to use it.
    Before 2012 where a cycle lane was provided cyclist were obliged to use it.

That idiot Shane Ross changed the law. I dont recall this ever being debated in the Dail so I assume he had he power to make this change without Dail approval

https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/key-issues-concern-cyclists-irish-road-traffic-law-rtl-and-how-deal-traffic-collision

I see little point in investing over a million euro a day on cycle lanes if cyclist have campaigned for the right not to use them, to the extent that a law was repealed in order for them to choose nor to use infrastructure put in place for their benefit and safety.

They either want cycle lanes and will use them, or dont want them and prefer to use the road. Either one is fine with me, but to suggest we spent hundreds of millions on cycle lanes in a bid to make roads safer for cyclist and then cyclists campaigning for the right to refuse to use them is nonsensical and pure waste of money.
    It seems they want their bread buttered on both sides.

Personally I would put in the lanes, (they are needed and I don't deny that), but change the law back again so that cyclist are obliged to use them where they are provided

I'm sure a million euro a day could be spent on an equally worthy cause.

The right not to use it is not evidenced that it will not be used. So, no you have no evidence of your claim.

You seem to be flip-flopping on your position. You agree that we should build cycle lanes but then write paragraphs stating how its a waste of money. I think you are arguing in bad faith, to be honest.

markodaly wrote: »
    The right not to use it is not evidenced that it will not be used. So, no you have no evidence of your claim.

You seem to be flip-flopping on your position. You agree that we should build cycle lanes but then write paragraphs stating how its a waste of money. I think you are arguing in bad faith, to be honest.

Not at all.
    Why campaign for the law to be repealed if you did not intended to take advantage of that change in law. I am not claiming that every cyclist will refuse to use cycle paths, but I find it odd and rediculous that cyclist groups are campaiging for cycle lanes when they have previously capaigned for the right not to use them.

If you read back a few pages I have been clear all along. Yes our cities need cycle lane networks that actually join up to enable a cyclist to cycle safely to any part of the city .

But then Podge_irl piped up that there should be a cycle lane on ALL roads.
    I responded by saying this will not be possible because many roads simply do not have available space or verges that can be converted to cycle lanes.

To which he responded for those roads where a cycle lane could not be installed, they should be either closed to vehicles completely or turned into one way street so that cycle lanes can be installed.

Make of it what you will. The cyclists are being offered a proper cycling network and yet that is not enough for them, they want a cycle lane on every road. Then to cap it off once they are installed they want the choice to not use them but use the road where the traffic is instead. Why bother to even build them if that's their attitude?

There was also some nonsense that all our problems were caused by cars, but I argued this is the result of bad planning. I argued that the planning laws should be amended so that every new road, even in housing estates, should have cycle lanes.

If we are going to spend hundred of millions of euro then I want to see that put to good use. There are plenty of other equally worthy projects or causes that money could be spent on.

Not at all.
    Why campaign for the law to be repealed if you did not intended to take advantage of that change in law. I am not claiming that every cyclist will refuse to use cycle paths, but I find it odd and rediculous that cyclist groups are campaiging for cycle lanes when they have previously capaigned for the right not to use them.

Did you even bother then to research the arguments put forward by those in favour of changing this law, as all the arguments, data, evidence and research as to the why this was a good decision is all there.
    Like, if you could not be arsed to read into the background of this change, then why should I take you seriously with your concern over bike lanes?
    Yes our cities need cycle lane networks that actually join up to enable a cyclist to cycle safely to any part of the city .

If your argument ended there, I would not have an issue but it seems there is always an equivocation of some sort that follows.
    But then Podge_irl piped up that there should be a cycle lane on ALL roads.
    I responded by saying this will not be possible because many roads simply do not have available space or verges that can be converted to cycle lanes.

To which he responded for those roads where a cycle lane could not be installed, they should be either closed to vehicles completely or turned into one way street so that cycle lanes can be installed.

Dare I say, you are misrepresenting the argument here for the sake of it.
    Make of it what you will. The cyclists are being offered a proper cycling network and yet that is not enough for them, they want a cycle lane on every road.

Even if what you said above was true, which I doubt it, one poster on boards.ie is not 'cyclists'. Podge_IRL does not speak for the tens of thousands of cyclists out there, and to claim that he/she does is a sign of a poor argument.
    Then to cap it off once they are installed they want the choice to not use them but use the road where the traffic is instead. Why bother to even build them if that's their attitude?

See above, you building a Wickerman sized strawman here.
    There was also some nonsense that all our problems were caused by cars, but I argued this is the result of bad planning. I argued that the planning laws should be amended so that every new road, even in housing estates, should have cycle lanes.

If we are going to spend hundred of millions of euro then I want to see that put to good use. There are plenty of other equally worthy projects or causes that money could be spent on.

Well, cars are by definition traffic, so in a sense cars are the problem. Planning has been terrible and we lead a very car-centric life in Ireland due to this. The Greens have been quite clear on issues like one-off housing by the way.

I did actually try to research the reasons why that legislation was repealed.

I found very little to be honest, despite trawling the Dept of transport and garda websites.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

there is a list of basically common but very valid complaints made against existing cycle lanes.
    No doubt Shane Ross being Shane Ross found it easier to sign a document than actually do his job and address these issues.

Surely the right thing to do is to address the design problems and fix the lanes that are at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I apologise, I haven't had time to go back through every page on this thread. But is the elephant in the room not our climate? The fact that it pisses rain here an awful lot? I ain't swapping my car for no one. Cycling to work would add twenty mins each way to my commute. On very busy roads. In the rain. No thanks.
    It may be ok in the cities, I'm not sure, I've never lived in one. But out in the country is not going to work, ever, and Eamon Ryan better get used to that idea.

I apologise, I haven't had time to go back through every page on this thread. But is the elephant in the room not our climate? The fact that it pisses rain here an awful lot? I ain't swapping my car for no one. Cycling to work would add twenty mins each way to my commute. On very busy roads. In the rain. No thanks.
    It may be ok in the cities, I'm not sure, I've never lived in one. But out in the country is not going to work, ever, and Eamon Ryan better get used to that idea.

No, the climate in Ireland is no worse than the likes of the Netherlands.

But you have just suggested that the roads those people might use be convert to cycle only, or one way streets.

I didn't actually. I put it forth as a potential idea for some roads and it is an idea used in many countries. I also never suggested every road should have a cycle lane - it was just a counter to your suggestion that bicycles should be banned from roads without a cycle lane. Which, thankfully, we don't need to discuss because it is quite obviously never going to happen.

Your focus on planning laws is utterly misguided also. How many new roads are being build in cities!? It is a complete red herring.
    The problem, as the Greens will quickly find out, is that there is a limited amount of money to spend.
    Like kids in a sweet shop with pocket money they will lash their money out on the first things that looks good or tasty, only to realise later in the week they have no money to spend and mam and dad will not give them any more. The same will happen to the Greens, without thinking through their policies, without costing them, they will spend on things that might not necessarily be the best choice and provide best value for money only to realise later when they have had time to actually see what the country really needs, they have no money for it. When they run to FF and FG and ask for more money to spend it will not be there.

This is just patronising rubbish.

There is no increase in spending in the PfG - there is a reallocation of it. A proper cycling network in as many cities/towns as possible is an incredibly efficient use of funds and the best way to reduce congestion.

No, the climate in Ireland is no worse than the likes of the Netherlands.

... And I still won't cycle to work in the rain. By the time I get to work I'll be soaked and in need of a shower before hitting the factory floor. I'm also a car enthusiast so naturally I'm gutted by the the new coalition. But that's democracy I suppose.

... And I still won't cycle to work in the rain. By the time I get to work I'll be soaked and in need of a shower before hitting the factory floor. I'm also a car enthusiast so naturally I'm gutted by the the new coalition. But that's democracy I suppose.

So don't. No one is forcing you to.

So don't. No one is forcing you to.

Except that Mr Ryan will want to tax the working man and woman into oblivion to pay for these cycle lanes so I'll end up worse off. All for the "privilege" of getting to work.

Except that Mr Ryan will want to tax the working man and woman into oblivion to pay for these cycle lanes so I'll end up worse off. All for the "privilege" of getting to work.

How much do you think the roads cost!?

The PfG envisages a reallocation of funds, not a general increase. They will simply be spending less on roads and redirecting it to public and active transport.

How much do you think the roads cost!?

The PfG envisages a reallocation of funds, not a general increase. They will simply be spending less on roads and redirecting it to public and active transport.

Most people drive to work than cycle, not just for convenience but because it's a necessity. That's not going to change anytime soon. So your going to reallocate money intended for the majority, to suit a minority? I'm not in support of that idea and out of around 200 workers in our factory if say over 90% would agree with me. The added tax on petrol, diesel etc will go to pay for these lanes which will end being completely underused because there aren't needed in the majority of areas outside of Dublin and cork.

Roads have received the bulk of the transport budget for decades. Also, there are already quite a few roads in Ireland - they are not going to disappear under this plan. There are significantly fewer cycle ways and bus lanes.

Improving public transport and active travel benefits those who have no choice but no drive as there are fewer cars on the road. It is a win-win.

• Advertisement

What percentage of the countries workers are "no drive"?

Advertisement