Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

Marcusm wrote: »
    They will mandate personal injury coverage for anyone hit by the scooter though which will just create a whole new claims avenue.

They shouldn’t - should be treated the same as bicycles; doesn’t mean that a case can’t be brought but shouldn’t be mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lundstram wrote: »
    I have two cars and have to tax them both so your first point is bullsh*t.

Your second point; you need to learn to read posts you reply to. I said a flat tax of €100 per year, I never mentioned engine emissions. "bike tax", if it has two wheels and no engine, and uses public roads, tax it. Let them pay for their cycle lanes that they refuse to use.

Why should people who don't cycle pay for cycle lanes?
    Careful what you wish for , if bicycle tax is 100 euros a year ,and based on how much room they take on the road cars (and my van ) could end up at extortionate levels ,
    And what if these do gooder cyclist start demanding decent cycle lanes for their money ....not the stupid stop /start ,short term car parking areas that are currently designated bike Lanes ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you actually read the GP transport paper there's quite a bit of good in it. It just seems disjointed and there are a couple of parts that simply aren't in the real world (such as cancelling the M20, and thinking railfreight is viable on a small Island with a terrible rail network), but on the whole it is positive.

Improving the cycling infrastructure and prioritising them for a bit will make life as a motorist a lot easier as well. Think about it, bikes actually on the segregated cycle lanes means no more obstructions and no more difficult overtaking or trying to judge what the hell 1.5m is.

If the flip side is we can no longer drive into a congested Dublin but instead have to take upgraded public transport before emerging onto peaceful cleaner streets, and pay a few cents more on a litre of Diesel while paying less for the DART - I think I'm OK with that.

The biggest question is can the man himself procure all of these changes. He seems like he's never quite sure what he has to say. Rambles and gaffes, and not the strong management material needed for a Minister of anything.
    Best he resigns ASAP and give one of the newer TDs like Ossian Smyth a shot at the Minister's role (Catherine Martin already being a different Minister).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if motorists protested like the anti water charges rabble did?

They need to ban SUVs in built up areas and prevent commuting by single occupant cars

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Donegal, don't listen to RTE radio,

Where in donegal? I live in rural west donegal and I don't think we've lost power more than twice in the last year, once from a thunderstorm and once from a major power outage that hit the whole of area from dungloe to dunfanaghy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be funny if motorists protested like the anti water charges rabble did?

FF were anti water charges, row in the camp already?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Deflecting from the issue doesn't make you bright.
    What did I deflect from?
    The idea of taxing cyclists is stupid and regressive. In addition, it has been shown widely that any measures that discourage cycling have a negative impact on both traffic and health putting further financial burdens on thebyaxpayer
    I haven't see a kid cycling to school in about 10 years.
    Why on earth would that be? Go on, have a guess!
    "many" "many" "many" Have you real stats to back this it up?

Cyclists use the roads like motorists. Tax them. Simple really. I'm sorry if you're lycra clad feelings are hurt but the fact of the matter is they need to pay for their share.
    Pay for their share of what?
    The wear and maintenance costs on the roads?
    The cost of the deaths and injuries on the roads?
    It is an utterly stupid idea! Your even think it is ok to tax children who choose to cycle to school rather than have their parents drive them there adding to the already congested roads.

But thankfully it takes more to hurt my lycra clad feelings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Jizique wrote: »
    They need to ban SUVs in built up areas and prevent commuting by single occupant cars

So all retail will be on the outskirts, leave the centres to junkies and winos?

The latter would be bordering on removal of humanitarian rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

sdanseo wrote: »
    If you actually read the GP transport paper there's quite a bit of good in it. It just seems disjointed and there are a couple of parts that simply aren't in the real world (such as cancelling the M20, and thinking railfreight is viable on a small Island with a terrible rail network), but on the whole it is positive.

Improving the cycling infrastructure and prioritising them for a bit will make life as a motorist a lot easier as well. Think about it, bikes actually on the segregated cycle lanes means no more obstructions and no more difficult overtaking or trying to judge what the hell 1.5m is.

If the flip side is we can no longer drive into a congested Dublin but instead have to take upgraded public transport before emerging onto peaceful cleaner streets, and pay a few cents more on a litre of Diesel while paying less for the DART - I think I'm OK with that.

The biggest question is can the man himself procure all of these changes. He seems like he's never quite sure what he has to say. Rambles and gaffes, and not the strong management material needed for a Minister of anything.
    Best he resigns ASAP and give one of the newer TDs like Ossian Smyth a shot at the Minister's role (Catherine Martin already being a different Minister).

It's not a few cents per litre, it will be 6c/l for every €20/tonne CO2 that the carbon tax is increased by. Iirc today this tax accounts for about 9c/l before VAT.

Before covid, fuel prices were around €1.40/l - we can call that the price in normal times. At the end of the carbon tax path set out, the normal price will be €1.85/l or there abouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s not pedestrians who have that in Germany, it’s everyone and it covers all sorts of acts like breaking a coffee cup in a neighbours house. Truly I do not see that type of cover being mandated in Ireland and without that broad coverage, it gets very expensive which is why I see an issue for e-scooter users.

It's not mandatory in Germany either to my knowledge. It's just the consequences of not having it are potentially financially ruinous, since liability is unlimited.

At the moment, all poor pedestrian and cyclist behaviour is excused and if an accident happens the liability falls on the car driver. Didn't spot the pedestrian recklessly walking out into traffic? Yep, your fault for not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Will we have to share the car with everyone in the village now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

How will be standup to Michael O Leary and his beef on airport charges by the DAA. And what will he do when Shannon Airport come calling playing the poor mouth.

Overall.... how is he on Aviation??? Does he feel that we should only have 1 airport and all the others should be let go

Masala wrote: »
    How will be standup to Michael O Leary and his beef on airport charges by the DAA. And what will he do when Shannon Airport come calling playing the poor mouth.

Overall.... how is he on Aviation??? Does he feel that we should only have 1 airport and all the others should be let go

His only answer to everything seems to be bikes so it should be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

screamer wrote: »
    I expect to see all kinds of stupid taxes and crazy suggestions for transport.

Yeah, decent public transport is crazy. Absolute loons.

Dutch, Japanese and Swedes are eco-communnazis that want to steal our precious bodily fluids with their trains and bicycles.

Not on my watch I say. Where'd I put my rifle to defend my liberties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

But you're happy to punish rural dwellers who have no alternative to get to work?

Cyclists use roads like motorists, let them pay for it too.

We should get the motorists to pay the full cost of the roads too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

lalababa wrote: »
    I think his overall transport strategy would be the green party policy. ��
    What was it again..??? Hmmmh oh yeah: improve public transport and cut emissions in both public and private transport. Plan for better commute experiences.
    Gee whiz .. the man is obviously off his little pee sized fairy brained rocker if he thinks I'm gonna give up driving my 2 liter diesel SUV for two hours every morning and evening. F**k him and the bicycle he rode in on.
    is he not driving a 2ltr desiel himself

So all retail will be on the outskirts, leave the centres to junkies and winos?

The SUVs will be in the countryside, going off-road as they were designed to be used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh, no and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

What could possibly go wrong?....Although I said that about Shane Ross also!

*Applies online for mortgage for EV car*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The most laughable comment on the whole thread. On your logic I'm banned from towns and from going to work so.. I drive a landcruiser for genuine reasons, and there's nobody else to go to work with me from here, so I may just stay at home.. or I'll try tow the big Ifor Williams out of a wet field with a Nissan Leaf..

TrailerBob wrote: »
    The most laughable comment on the whole thread. On your logic I'm banned from towns and from going to work so.. I drive a landcruiser for genuine reasons, and there's nobody else to go to work with me from here, so I may just stay at home.. or I'll try tow the big Ifor Williams out of a wet field with a Nissan Leaf..

Why are you towing a load of turf onto Kildare Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

His only answer to everything seems to be bikes so it should be interesting anyway.
    does he not sell bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

The main issue with him is the problems he will cause in rural areas. For example at the moment we have 4 private bus companies that go to letterkenny, all of them are off because of coronavirus. So if you work in letterkenny hospital for example and you're expected to get to work by public transport there is absolutely none.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why should he wear a helmet? It's not a legal requirement and research is mixed about their efficacy. It's usually non-cyclists who insist cyclists should always wear helmets and always use cycle lanes.

Indeed

https://twitter.com/magnatom/status/1252894383432704000?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

He's FFs new minister version of Flanagan, He'll antagonise everyone in the country while FF will go 'what's wrong???'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Why does it have to be Dublin city centre to be built up? And I did have a full trailer load of timber into Gardiner St. last year... But that's besides the point. Banning one particular style of ICE vehicle is plain nonsense. Not everyone in an 'SUV' is doing it for image or being a sheep

Tax cyclists. They use the road, cause traffic disruption and get the same benefits as cars.

€100 per year flat tax. Subject them to the same punishments as motorists if caught without.

It's an interesting idea. If you want a comparable charge based on the wear and tear arising on the road, your €100 fee per cyclist would work out at about €2 million annual charge per motorist, based on the fourth power engineering calculation.

Are you up for that?

And as for punishments, cyclists are fined all the time, though as with motorists, enforcement levels are negligible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-5-000-on-the-spot-fines-issued-to-cyclists-1.3977141

Are you proposing that traffic rules should apply equally to all types of road users regardless of the danger involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

His first job should be to take on the Irish insurance federation/cartel.

If it was such a cartel and so profitable, why are insurance providers leaving Ireland?

Maybe it's because of €25k payouts each for imaginary whiplash for the mother, father and baby when they're involved in an incident which scratches the paint of their car.

The Irish people and the legal system are to blame.

• Advertisement

Moragle wrote: »
    The main issue with him is the problems he will cause in rural areas. For example at the moment we have 4 private bus companies that go to letterkenny, all of them are off because of coronavirus. So if you work in letterkenny hospital for example and you're expected to get to work by public transport there is absolutely none.

He's been less than 24 hours in the job, so perhaps you might like to direct your blame for the current situation elsewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement