Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Marcusm wrote: »
    Even the UK, after an extensive study, has decided that they need to run a 12 month trial in an e-scooter sharing service before they will even consider permitting e-scooters privately. That’s with a much better infrastructure set up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath here unless you can find a way to deal with licensing and insurance effectively.

Couldn't they do it the same as they do in Germany? Pedestrians have third party private liability insurance - if they do something that causes a RTA, they will be personally liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Tax cyclists. They use the road, cause traffic disruption and get the same benefits as cars.

€100 per year flat tax. Subject them to the same punishments as motorists if caught without.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Tax cyclists. They use the road, cause traffic disruption and get the same benefits as cars.

€100 per year flat tax. Subject them to the same punishments as motorists if caught without.

You can't punish people for using a healthy and environmentally friendly mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

micosoft wrote: »
    Again, where did you make up that the grid is struggling with demand?
    When did demand last outstrip supply? When was the last brownout?

Or did you just made this up? It's not like the data is not all available in real time.

Ireland has one of the most modern and well built grids in Europe (a very high water mark). Most EV demand is overnight when the grid has an excess of renewables and cars are parked up charging as they typically get used during the day. Smart Meters are allowing for variable charging and will be complete by 2024.

There's a Gas and steam power station in Huntstown near the airport that is running at 20% of it's capacity of 700mw a lot of the time, and at other times it's simply keeping the generator spinning so that if there's a peak in demand, it can kick in and supply. There is no shortage of generating power here. My oul fella was a controller there until his retirement last year.

As for Eamon Ryan, my biggest issue is how his policies will disproportionately affect rural areas. He might not like that we are still totally dependant on cars, but that's how it is. I can't afford an EV yet, so why increase my fuel bill making that change even more difficult..

You can't punish people for using a healthy and environmentally friendly mode of transport.
    But you're happy to punish rural dwellers who have no alternative to get to work?

Cyclists use roads like motorists, let them pay for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The clown can't even remember to wear a helmet when he cycles to the Dáil knowing full well the TV cameras are waiting there.

Why should he wear a helmet? It's not a legal requirement and research is mixed about their efficacy. It's usually non-cyclists who insist cyclists should always wear helmets and always use cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

micosoft wrote: »
    Again, where did you make up that the grid is struggling with demand?
    When did demand last outstrip supply? When was the last brownout?

Or did you just made this up? It's not like the data is not all available in real time.

Ireland has one of the most modern and well built grids in Europe (a very high water mark). Most EV demand is overnight when the grid has an excess of renewables and cars are parked up charging as they typically get used during the day. Smart Meters are allowing for variable charging and will be complete by 2024.

Power goes off for a few minutes every fortnight or so , have had three or four hour long outages this year, last major upgrade of poles ,transformers was 2004-5 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Power goes off for a few minutes every fortnight or so , have had three or four hour long outages this year, last major upgrade of poles ,transformers was 2004-5 ,

Whereabouts in the country is this, and have you been on Joe Duffy about it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why not? They are using the same infrastructure so shouldn't they help pay for it? We pay to use the bus.

I'd be more inclined to change the rules that where a cyclist or pedestrian does something dangerous that unlimited liability will fall on them personally - rather than the car drivers insurance shouldering the cost all the time. So stumble out drunkenly onto a road and get struck? Yeah the pedestrian should pay at least part for the replacement bumper, where their negligence was a partial cause of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Everyone should have their own insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The clown can't even remember to wear a helmet when he cycles to the Dáil knowing full well the TV cameras are waiting there.
    You're really going to criticise him for that?
    Imagine if he actually did something wrong or even broke the law?

But you're happy to punish rural dwellers who have no alternative to get to work?

You don't have to be rural to need a car to go to work. Someone living in Trim (approx 10,000 pop) and working in Mullingar (approx 20,000 pop) would be finding it hard to get an alternative to a 46km/40 min drive in their own car.

I already pay motor tax as do most cyclists. Are you saying that I should pay twice?
    Also how woukd motor tax work for a cyclist given that they don't have an engine?
    What about the fact that motor tax is based on emissions?

Cyclists use roads like motorists, let them pay for it too.
    As per my points above, your comment shows it's absurdity! :rolleyes:

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Whereabouts in the country is this, and have you been on Joe Duffy about it yet?

Donegal, don't listen to RTE radio,

I already pay motor tax as do most cyclists. Are you saying that I should pay twice?
    Also how woukd motor tax work for a cyclist given that they don't have an engine?

If I buy a second or third vehicle I have to tax/insure that, if you can afford a 3k bike a bit of insurance would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Petrol Kona starts at 22 k electric one is 38 k ,worldwide recession imminent , car sales will plummet as people avoid debt as job security disappears and wages driven down

I wouldn't worry too much , in 08 we changed to a co2 based system ,and people bought more expensive diesels to save on road tax , I'm sure I remember a minor financial wobble in 08.
    Yes electric cars are overpriced at the moment ,it's supply and demand, but a world recession will help bring prices down ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I have two cars and have to tax them both so your first point is bullsh*t.

Your second point; you need to learn to read posts you reply to. I said a flat tax of €100 per year, I never mentioned engine emissions. "bike tax", if it has two wheels and no engine, and uses public roads, tax it. Let them pay for their cycle lanes that they refuse to use.

Why should people who don't cycle pay for cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

If it moves tax it; if it stops clamp it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much , in 08 we changed to a co2 based system ,and people bought more expensive diesels to save on road tax , I'm sure I remember a minor financial wobble in 08.
    Yes electric cars are overpriced at the moment ,it's supply and demand, but a world recession will help bring prices down ...

In 2008 the co2 based system effected VRT brackets also which made the price of diesel cars along closer to the price of petrol cars. It wasn't just motor tax.

Also a world recession might help bring prices of EV down but it will also mean less people buying if they are out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

Marcusm wrote: »
    Even the UK, after an extensive study, has decided that they need to run a 12 month trial in an e-scooter sharing service before they will even consider permitting e-scooters privately. That’s with a much better infrastructure set up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath here unless you can find a way to deal with licensing and insurance effectively.

No need; personal responsibility, helmet required, 20km/h top speed, plenty of experience in other European cities like Berlin and Frankfurt where plenty of besuited businessmen use them as part of a commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Oh fook

Grid struggling with demand, add in a few thousand electric cars charging at 4 kw an hour ,Brown out every few weeks. Infrastructure isn't there

I don’t know much about our national grid, but it it is approaching anything like that of South Africa in terms of population/use, then we could be in for that country’s “loadsharing” where every district experiences a scheduled blackout for at least two hours per day, particularly in hours of high use/darkness. It’s a place you need an awful lot of torches and batteries.

You could apply that logic to all govt exp/tax collection.

Why should people with no children contribute to children's allowance payment?

Why should blind people pay for arts grants for sculptors?

Why should the ambulatory have to contribute to the cost of ramps for wheel chair users?

And the old favourite, why should those who "don't watch RTE" have to pay their TV licence?

I have two cars and have to tax them both so your first point is bullsh*t.
    It's called motor tax.
    Your second point; you need to learn to read posts you reply to. I said a flat tax of €100 per year, I never mentioned engine emissions. "bike tax", if it has two wheels and no engine, and uses public roads, tax it. Let them pay for their cycle lanes that they refuse to use.
    The vast majority of cycle lanes are unfit for purpose and in many cases more dangerous than staying out on the road.
    Secondly, you want to tax children cycling to school should pay €100?
    You want to tax a five year old who wants to use the bike that Santy brought them?
    Many motorists happily park in cycle lanes also.
    Many motorists drive on cycle lanes.
    Many people walk on cycle lanes.

Also I pay tax for many things that I don't get a direct benefit from. Shoukd we start allocating direct funding to everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Wouldn't it be funny if motorists protested like the anti water charges rabble did?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cyclists don’t cause traffic disruption.
    The lack of infrastructure for all roads users causes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Think they'll only allow insurance for damage, there will be no personal injury claims .It's the only way it could be practical. Can see cyclists having to have third party insurance,

They will mandate personal injury coverage for anyone hit by the scooter though which will just create a whole new claims avenue.

It's called motor tax.

The vast majority of cycle lanes are unfit for purpose and in many cases more dangerous than staying out on the road.
    Secondly, you want to tax children cycling to school should pay €100?
    You want to tax a five year old who wants to use the bike that Santy brought them?

Many motorists happily park in cycle lanes also.
    Many motorists drive on cycle lanes.
    Many people walk on cycle lanes.

Also I pay tax for many things that I don't get a direct benefit from. Shoukd we start allocating direct funding to everything?

Deflecting from the issue doesn't make you bright.

I haven't see a kid cycling to school in about 10 years.

"many" "many" "many" Have you real stats to back this it up?

Cyclists use the roads like motorists. Tax them. Simple really. I'm sorry if you're lycra clad feelings are hurt but the fact of the matter is they need to pay for their share.

Cyclists don’t cause traffic disruption.
    The lack of infrastructure for all roads users causes it.
    Good one. :D

Okay so force them to pay tax so we can improve the infrastruture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Couldn't they do it the same as they do in Germany? Pedestrians have third party private liability insurance - if they do something that causes a RTA, they will be personally liable.

It’s not pedestrians who have that in Germany, it’s everyone and it covers all sorts of acts like breaking a coffee cup in a neighbours house. Truly I do not see that type of cover being mandated in Ireland and without that broad coverage, it gets very expensive which is why I see an issue for e-scooter users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement