Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Options
  • 28-06-2020 1:13pm

So we have a new minister for Transport, Energy and Climate: Eamon Ryan.

What's your initial thoughts? Is it a good thing or bad thing for Irelands motor and transport industries?

I think it could be great, IF, the movement towards electric cars is aggressively pursued and accelerated, with creative and innovative ideas implemented to get us there quickly.

But if it's all about heavily taxing ICE cars and the fuel required to keep these on the road, and that's it, then sorry, he'll be yet another failure. Incentivise us to change, IMHO, is a much preferred route to penalising us to stay with ICE.

All the Greens did when last in office is tax, tax, and more tax- not a novel idea in their collective little brains, bless their cotton socks.

As for commuting times, better public transport, while I'm not expecting great strides in 6 months time as these issues are complex, I really would like to see solid efforts to tackle these important issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

His first job should be to take on the Irish insurance federation/cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Electricity grid isn't in great shape, power cuts will become more frequent, having a tonne and a half of useless sitting in the yard isn't going to much of an incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

He’ll probably accomplish the difficult task of being an even worse transport minister than Shane Ross and that i itself will be quite a feat.

I don’t believe the greens want us all in electric cars, they don’t want us to have our own cars at all. Remember him on about a rural village sharing 30 cars? If he feels that’s an idea that’s moderate enough for him to say out loud imagine what the clown actually thinks in his own head..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If his focus is on electric cars, he's missed the point. They take up the same space as traditional vehicles, they have a huge environmental cost in manufacture, disposal and brake/tyre particle emissions. It is insane that we subsidise EVs by €5k each, while the maximum benefit for an eBike purchase, which can cost €3k-€5k is €400, and that's only available to a higher rate taxpayer.

His focus needs to be on sustainable modes of travel, and EVs aren't sustainable.

Putting that green nutjob over transport has to be just someone trolling us all for the weekend. Hopefully they’ll tell us the real minister on Monday.

• Advertisement

Expect diesel and petrol to top 2 euro a litre inside 3 years

Handy enough enact laws,to target car ownership,when ya never live in an area with no public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Electricity grid isn't in great shape, power cuts will become more frequent, having a tonne and a half of useless sitting in the yard isn't going to much of an incentive.

Huh? On what basis do you make this statement?

Pearce Doherty proposed the insurance reform it won't be enacted Because he proposed it. Basically all any opposition politician can propose very good things and they will never be enacted by the now current government.
    So if PBP propose cycle lanes for every road none will be built,

micosoft wrote: »
    Huh? On what basis do you make this statement?

Grid struggling with demand, add in a few thousand electric cars charging at 4 kw an hour ,Brown out every few weeks. Infrastructure isn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 81,740 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No doubt 20 cent on the price of a litre of fuel in the next 2 years to make Ireland the world leader in being led up the garden path by lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

His last ministerial role he sold out to vested interests and gifted Three a phone network they were going to build anyway. He hates rural Ireland, can't see him doing anything for those outside the cities

No doubt 20 cent on the price of a litre of fuel in the next 2 years to make Ireland the world leader in being led up the garden path by lunatics.

Filling stations along the border will make a killing, won't be a litre of heating oil sold accross the whole southern side,
    Massive theft of trees from Coillte and not a pallet safe. Greens did this in 09 and paid the price, are they really that stupid? (Ryan excluded)

His last ministerial role he sold out to vested interests and gifted Three a phone network they were going to build anyway. He hates rural Ireland, can't see him doing anything for those outside the cities

They'll be faking attacks on constituency offices like they did last time, playing the pity card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Maybe it would be wiser to leave that task to the Minister responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Electric scooters and bikes will be legal, were going to end up with better public transport, EV car grants will be seriously reduced I expect the SEAI 5k grant to be scrapped shortly he's already said he's not in favor of it there's better uses for the money.
    I think he'll be good especially for a pretty much non existent public transport service, hopefully it's not all about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I expect to see all kinds of stupid taxes and crazy suggestions for transport.

If his focus is on electric cars, he's missed the point. They take up the same space as traditional vehicles, they have a huge environmental cost in manufacture, disposal and brake/tyre particle emissions. It is insane that we subsidise EVs by €5k each, while the maximum benefit for an eBike purchase, which can cost €3k-€5k is €400, and that's only available to a higher rate taxpayer.

His focus needs to be on sustainable modes of travel, and EVs aren't sustainable.

His focus is on public transport not cars.

If people must have cars then electric cars are far cleaner than ICE cars. They certainly don't have "huge" environmental cost vs ICE. Batteries are easily recyclable and are recycled.

Electric cars use regenerative breaking so use considerably less brake pad wear. Most electric cars use low resistance tyres minimising wear.

Are you suggesting subsidising e-bikes at the same rate as cars is not insane? People can have both a car and a e-bike (and a regular bicycle) as they have, you know what, completely different use cases and price points.

Tax breaks are tax breaks and this is the way they all work. The higher rate starts at a very low €35,300. But sure make a case it should be a fixed grant (and you need to propose a way to stop that being abused given you've not really thought through any of your other policy suggestions).

His focus is on sustainable modes of travel. https://www.greenparty.ie/green-party-launches-transport-policy/

When you create a post where literally every sentence is wrong or deeply misleading yet finding out the honest answers is easy... I have to wonder... why do you seem to need to "invent" things to critique Eamonn Ryan. plenty of reasonable things to critique both him and the green party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think his overall transport strategy would be the green party policy. 🙄
    What was it again..??? Hmmmh oh yeah: improve public transport and cut emissions in both public and private transport. Plan for better commute experiences.
    Gee whiz .. the man is obviously off his little pee sized fairy brained rocker if he thinks I'm gonna give up driving my 2 liter diesel SUV for two hours every morning and evening. F**k him and the bicycle he rode in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a marriage of convenience by the big two just to keep the status quo, nothing more and won't last the 5 years imo. With Ryan it's all about his big ego, loves being photographed/filmed by the media cycling his bike into the Dail. Eventually when the honeymoon is over and opinion polls/local election results reflect disapproval with government policy, you will see the cracks starting to form. Small parties that get into bed with the devil normally come out of government desecrated, the Greens will be no different when the inevitable time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

bazz26 wrote: »
    This is a marriage of convenience by the big two just to keep the status quo, nothing more and won't last the 5 years imo. With Ryan it's all about his big ego, loves being photographed/filmed by the media cycling his bike into the Dail. Eventually when the honeymoon is over and opinion polls/local election results reflect disapproval with government policy, you will see the cracks starting to form. Small parties that get into bed with the devil normally come out of government desecrated, the Greens will be no different when the inevitable time comes.

First task needs to be legalizing scooters, shouldn’t take long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’ll be travelling everywhere by balloon soon.
    Putting a lunatic in charge of the asylum never works.

screamer wrote: »
    I think electric cars are morally bankrupt when you see how and by whom the battery materials are extracted from the earth. These are also finite resources, so no better than oil being honest. I expect to see all kinds of stupid taxes and crazy suggestions for transport.

Actually it is dishonest by any metric to say electric vehicles are "no better than oil". At least half carbon lifetime usage. What type of moral bankrupt thinks potentially halving transportation greenhouse emissions is a bad thing?

I'm not sure why you only focus on car batteries around ethical use of raw materials. The Amnesty paper has been helpful in driving better behavior... no more so than the battery that probably drives the device you typed the above on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jizique wrote: »

They will definitely tax electric scooters.
    Money grabbing shower will always have greed ahead of the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jizique wrote: »

Even the UK, after an extensive study, has decided that they need to run a 12 month trial in an e-scooter sharing service before they will even consider permitting e-scooters privately. That’s with a much better infrastructure set up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath here unless you can find a way to deal with licensing and insurance effectively.

Electric scooters and bikes will be legal, were going to end up with better public transport, EV car grants will be seriously reduced I expect the SEAI 5k grant to be scrapped shortly he's already said he's not in favor of it there's better uses for the money.
    I think he'll be good especially for a pretty much non existent public transport service, hopefully it's not all about Dublin.

Petrol Kona starts at 22 k electric one is 38 k ,worldwide recession imminent , car sales will plummet as people avoid debt as job security disappears and wages driven down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Minister for Transport is a job with a lot of responsibilities, it's far too serious a job to be given to Eamon Ryan.

The clown can't even remember to wear a helmet when he cycles to the Dáil knowing full well the TV cameras are waiting there.

I honestly think he won't be able to see his term of office through, he doesn't strike me as having the mental strength the job is going to demand.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Grid struggling with demand, add in a few thousand electric cars charging at 4 kw an hour ,Brown out every few weeks. Infrastructure isn't there

Again, where did you make up that the grid is struggling with demand?
    When did demand last outstrip supply? When was the last brownout?

Or did you just made this up? It's not like the data is not all available in real time.

Ireland has one of the most modern and well built grids in Europe (a very high water mark). Most EV demand is overnight when the grid has an excess of renewables and cars are parked up charging as they typically get used during the day. Smart Meters are allowing for variable charging and will be complete by 2024.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Even the UK, after an extensive study, has decided that they need to run a 12 month trial in an e-scooter sharing service before they will even consider permitting e-scooters privately. That’s with a much better infrastructure set up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath here unless you can find a way to deal with licensing and insurance effectively.

Think they'll only allow insurance for damage, there will be no personal injury claims .It's the only way it could be practical. Can see cyclists having to have third party insurance,

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

That n word rolls off the tongue pretty easy for him. Better get the window sill clear for the lettuce and get used to traveling anywhere in the village car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Minister for Transport is a job with a lot of responsibilities, it's far too serious a job to be given to Eamon Ryan.

The clown can't even remember to wear a helmet when he cycles to the Dáil knowing full well the TV cameras are waiting there.

I honestly think he won't be able to see his term of office through, he doesn't strike me as having the mental strength the job is going to demand.

I despair. I don't think a qualified phycologist would last long making those leaps of the imagination.
    I'm out of this thread.. it's not a serious thread... it's mainly green bashing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement