Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you noticed in your garden during the lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks for that Alun.
    In fairness he might be a great diver but obviously not a great navigator- the Boyne is about 300 yards the other way from me!

Nice, you live that close to the amazing Boyne.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fryup wrote: »
    i was watching Springwatch last week and they used a white blanket and a torch to attract moths....is that all you have to do? will they still be there in the morning if i left it out over night

Not sure, never tried anything like that myself. I presume that's if you want to start recording hat species you have.

We have lots of flowers in the back garden, a Cat Mint plant in particular seems to be very popular with everyone including bees, hoverflies, moths and cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

They say evening scented flowers are great for attracting them to your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Really enjoyed all the fledglings this year in garden. Sparrows, starlings(not as fond of these as nested in our roof!), a goldfinch, a really adorable Robin + the cutest of all blue tits!

The noise of the blue tits is unreal! I discovered them one morning when hanging out clothes as I was worried about all the noise at bottom of garden. So cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I left a little nettle patch in my garden this year. I noticed these little things on them this evening. They almost look like caterpillars, maybe some of the more knowledgeable posters would know what they are?

516204.jpeg

516205.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Buds, flowers, seeds? Not bugs, anyway.

Edit - sorry, I've just realised you meant the yellow thingy...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I left a little nettle patch in my garden this year. I noticed these little things on them this evening. They almost look like caterpillars, maybe some of the more knowledgeable posters would know what they are?

It's a form of Rust Fungus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stood for a few minutes tonight and watched the house martins flying mad around the house and general area.
    I assume they are playing with each other? Maybe about 15 or so I counted at any one time, although hard to count them as they move so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

That’s really cool how it makes itself look like caterpillars. Thanks Dave :)

Puccinia urticata

https://www.ispotnature.org/communities/uk-and-ireland/view/observation/647071/yellow-growth-on-sting-nettle

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Lucky to have these two together at the feeders. Eurasian Jay and woodpecker.
    Can't post photo right way up . :(

It arrived back with its baby this morning . Great to watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh wow amazing. I have never seen a Jay or woodpecker in garden. Are you living in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This chap came for a visit

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

appledrop wrote: »
    Oh wow amazing. I have never seen a Jay or woodpecker in garden. Are you living in Wicklow?

Live down near the meetings of the waters ,near Avoca village.
    Only here 6 months , so its magic to see all these new birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

3 fox cubs appeared in the garden in suburban Dublin yesterday soaking up the sun!
    I knew there was 1 in the very near area as I'd seen it early in the mornings with its mother. But 3...never seen anything like this before in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Disturbed the following when I mowed my moss. Put a plant pot over it and checked today and theyve rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

A frog in my kids paddle pool and a hare at me mother in laws.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

jay0109 wrote: »
    3 fox cubs appeared in the garden in suburban Dublin yesterday soaking up the sun!
    I knew there was 1 in the very near area as I'd seen it early in the mornings with its mother. But 3...never seen anything like this before in the flesh
    Xcellor wrote: »
    Disturbed the following when I mowed my moss. Put a plant pot over it and checked today and theyve rebuilt.
    madalig12 wrote: »
    A frog in my kids paddle pool and a hare at me mother in laws.

Love it, love it, love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

jay0109 wrote: »

Those fox cubs look like they could have sarcoptic mange which will kill them if left untreated. Loss of hair with patches of bare skin is the main symptom. I used to get medication in liquid form from a Dublin vet to treat local urban foxes with mange but they stopped issuing it to me as the animal had to be treated on their premises. Instead I bought it online from an Irish supplier. You have to be careful to reduce the dosage, inserted into mince. There is a herbal remedy which I tried once but it didn't work. Keep an eye on the foxes.

The 3 cubs are back again now. They sure do a lot of scratching!
    Not sure how I feel about leaving out mince and feeding wild animals like that. Not sure I even want them 15 yards from my back door!

You'd be helping them get better, what's wrong with that? It'd be on a temporary basis only and I'm pretty sure dog food would do just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Is that peanuts in the feeder Blackplum? Am sure I heard a woodpecker drum the other morning in the trees at the back of the house but have never seen or even heard one before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Would you mind recording this via the link below?

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/5a4aff5f295d4506a39b5ecc14fefde6

They seem to have had a great year across numerous counties this summer!

Ulmus wrote: »
    Those fox cubs look like they could have sarcoptic mange which will kill them if left untreated. Loss of hair with patches of bare skin is the main symptom. I used to get medication in liquid form from a Dublin vet to treat local urban foxes with mange but they stopped issuing it to me as the animal had to be treated on their premises. Instead I bought it online from an Irish supplier. You have to be careful to reduce the dosage, inserted into mince. There is a herbal remedy which I tried once but it didn't work. Keep an eye on the foxes.

Could you PM me the name of the liquid medication Ulmus when you have a chance. Cannot find anything that matches it from a google search - all seems to be medicine that you have to apply directly by hand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note:

Nobody should give advice or recommendations about treating wildlife with medication or veterinary products, except a vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We have bats! I noticed one last night flying about outside. My husband had to get up with the dogs in the middle of the night and there was one flying around upstairs. He was able to close the spare room door on it and opened the window to let it out. It was gone this morning.

518284.jpg

518285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

We've got so many variety of birds, a bat colony, butterflies, bees, wasps, flies, all sorts of insects.. We've had a pheasant, woodpecker, a long eared owl and a frequently visiting fox or two along with evidence of badgers and an active badger set but no sightings yet! Have been thoroughly enjoying lockdown in that sense! Not to mention all the flowers/trees blooming!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

UOyMp24h.jpg

You never know who is skulking around in the undergrowth

6sM1px0h.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've let a few substantial clumps of purple toadflax take over in out garden, and by gum, do the bees like it. not sure if it was already here when we moved in, but i did a substantial amount of digging in the front garden last year at it's taken the opportunity this year. nice looking plant too.

• Advertisement

Anybody know what this is . The wings are dark and not see through.

Advertisement