Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Akabusi wrote: »
    I know a guy who set up a pluming business and thought he was billy big balls, had the nice cars and bought several properties, that was all grand but he relished in telling people how rich he was and what he was spending his money on. One of his last big projects was to buy land in the local area and build a mansion on it. The crash came and it never got finished, he owed a lot to local suppliers and they got stung badly, Anyone who could came and stripped the house to get back their items windows, gutters etc. were taken back. It was eventually sold by the bank and got bulldozed. He works in a phone shop now.

Ha losers like him should never be allowed to forget how he behaved himself and always reminded that he is and always will be a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Ha losers like him should never be allowed to forget how he behaved himself and always reminded that he is and always will be a failure

Wasnt he on the late late with his then fiancee showing off her engagement ring and him bragging about how much he paid for it.

A couple of weeks later their house was broken into and it was robbed.

Oh how i laughed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Akabusi wrote: »
    I know a guy who set up a pluming business and thought he was billy big balls, had the nice cars and bought several properties, that was all grand but he relished in telling people how rich he was and what he was spending his money on. One of his last big projects was to buy land in the local area and build a mansion on it. The crash came and it never got finished, he owed a lot to local suppliers and they got stung badly, Anyone who could came and stripped the house to get back their items windows, gutters etc. were taken back. It was eventually sold by the bank and got bulldozed. He works in a phone shop now.
    Wasnt he on the late late with his then fiancee showing off her engagement ring and him bragging about how much he paid for it.

Oh how i laughed!!!!

He’d have fan boys like Barry Egan (a pathetic waste of space , very punchable ) declaring that we are all begrudgers

Nope, we just don’t think being flash and arrogant is smart. Work hard and earn money legally and honestly , best of luck , but nuveau Riche are ghastly people. Don’t see old money folk boast or remind the world that they are fabulously wealthy

The odd thing about many of those who got wealth , whether real or borrowed, many came across as extremely TACKY !! They didn’t know how to act like wealthy people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They didn’t know how to act like wealthy people

We need a thread on how to act like the wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don't know Kean, but saw him on TV a few times and he did seem like mighty craic tbh. But people don't like flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

It was regular enough that as a bunch of lads not being able to get taxis home from the city centre we had a couple of hotels who would be more than willing to let us have a lock in until 6/7am - and it would be bottle after bottle of champagne.

One or two of the lads were 'developers' - in reality builders with massive banking debts; driving range rovers at 25 years of age - they always footed the bill.

Some great nights but the absolute waste of money was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Oh how i laughed!!!!

Was it yourself? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Oh how i laughed!!!!

Karma?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wonder what he's doing now?

3 to 5 for dealing.

Zebra3 wrote:
    Was it yourself?

Ssssssh

• Advertisement

There was that time Amanda Brunker scorched her f@nny in a champagne bath at The Clarence.

Gerald Kean, John Maguire and Weddings by Franc played rock, paper, scissors with a loaded revolver to decide who would put cream on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Motivator

I don't know Kean, but saw him on TV a few times and he did seem like mighty craic tbh. But people don't like flash.

I saw him walking along by Stephens Green one day and he was getting wicked abuse off a group of young lads over the state of his shoes. It was absolutely hilarious watching the big scaldy head on him squirming as he tried to quicken up and get away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Remember hearing on the radio back then about parents making deals with their daughter over their Leaving cert result. If she bought her grades from a C to A they would pay for her implants to go from an A to a C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone who becomes the subject of a Barry Egan article would want to take a long hard look at what they are actually doing in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in a county town and I mainly remember some families living beyond there means basically a new Avensis or Passat every year and a holiday and a few breaks during the year. Some of the stuff wouldn't have been flash, flash but simply beyond there means!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

JupiterKid wrote: »
    At get-togethers and parties, people (including some acquaintances) bragging about their buy to let properties and investments in places like Bulgaria. I was a bit of a Cassandra at the time, explaining to them just why it was a credit-fueled property bubble not supported by economic fundamentals and would ultimately end in a huge crash and in tears. I must have seemed like a bit of a party pooper to some. Some of them listened to me, but most didn’t or didn’t want to.

I did manage to persuade two good friends and a friend’s mother into not buying investment properties in Eastern Europe. During the crash, they thanked me.

In the housing estate I was living in in South Dublin at that same time, many of the neighbours getting new cars and replacing them as often as possible - usually these cars were leased.

Getting a letter from my bank telling me that I was pre-approved for a €75K loan for anything I wanted. It went straight into the bin.

David McWilliams... Is that you?

I live in a county town and I mainly remember some families living beyond there means basically a new Avensis or Passat every year and a holiday and a few breaks during the year. Some of the stuff wouldn't have been flash, flash but simply beyond there means!

Wow, sounds like the last days if the Roman Empire.

When they start doing coke through a clarinet off the arses of Maxi, Dick and Twink, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

People trying to outdo their neighbors with bigger TV's, bigger cars and bigger tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wow, sounds like the last days if the Roman Empire.

When they start doing coke through a clarinet off the arses of Maxi, Dick and Twink, let me know.

In its own way that sort of excess was as bad though. I knew of a couple out in Coolock who bought new Mondeos every year. Like what's the point? You're down all that money and you're still just in a newer repmobile (no offence meant to Mondeos, solid cars, just hardly dream machines).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Whatever happened Gerard Kean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In its own way that sort of excess was as bad though. I knew of a couple out in Coolock who bought new Mondeos every year. Like what's the point? You're down all that money and you're still just in a newer repmobile (no offence meant to Mondeos, solid cars, just hardly dream machines).

It was generally the exact same colour and basic trim but it had a new plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

People trying to outdo their neighbors with bigger TV's, bigger cars and bigger tits.

What's wrong with bigger tits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Weddings by Franc. Did anything ever symbolise the waste of the Celtic Tiger more and the sh1te people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It was generally the exact same colour and basic trim but it had a new plate!

My auld fella was one of these. He'd buy it in January, and start hinting at an upgrade over the summer. By November he'd be turning down the radio mid drive going "do you hear that? Something rattling, that's a sign it needs to be changed", then go again. He used cycle everywhere up to 1999, suddenly he was driving to the chipper across the road because he'd "to get petrol anyway".

He did switch from a Focus ("best car on the road") to an Avensis ("them Fords are $hite") in 2003 which was the most exciting thing to happen in our house for a while. The Avensis came with a free toasted sandwich maker for some reason, and himself sat outside in a rage polishing the interior of a new car while we were all inside scalding our mouths with volcanic cheese. Good times

Whatever happened Gerard Kean?

the music stopped for poor auld Gerald.

glasso wrote:
    the music stopped for poor auld Gerald.

Still practising and coining it in no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Could have sworn I read recently he was in financial difficulty, something about not being able to pay the commercial rent on his premises. I may be mistaken.

I booked a seat on a charter flight to a Man Utd v Liverpool game back in 2010-ish and himself and the missus were on it. Didnt talk to him for long but he seemed pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've met him (Gerald Kean) and he's a really nice, warm, personable guy. Seems to be a common theme with a lot of people that don't have a great public persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Thank god ay.

Although I'm worried at the political parties asking for this to be relaxed.

Politicians should not have any say in how banks conduct their business. In my opinion, they drove a lot of the excessive borrowing that caused the bubble in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Could have sworn I read recently he was in financial difficulty, something about not being able to pay the commercial rent on his premises. I may be mistaken.

I booked a seat on a charter flight to a Man Utd v Liverpool game back in 2010-ish and himself and the missus were on it. Didnt talk to him for long but he seemed pleasant enough.

Yeah, he lost the premises. Lads like that who mix in high society circles will always get a few opportunities to bounce back unlike most of us if we were in a tricky spot.

He will once again adorn the front page of Barry Egans Indo Christmas spread. I have no doubt about it.

Advertisement