Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant TCR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have a giant propel. Top notch bike.

That bike you linked looks fantastic with di2 and disc brakes.

I think you'll be very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I have a giant propel. Top notch bike.

That bike you linked looks fantastic with di2 and disc brakes.

I think you'll be very happy with it

If I can get it for the right price, with my trade in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I bought that bike last week -I've only managed to use it for 50km so can't comment too much on what it is like, but I did look around and for Di2, carbon wheels, and Ultegra disc level groupset it was among the best value (plus it includes a power meter).

I got it (not in Ireland) for just above 4000, I think 4079, from a Giant dealer.

Not sure about trading in - it's a good time to sell a bike at the moment and you might get a good price with a cash purchase.

The 2021 TCR's have just launched, although there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of stock of 2020 models lying around. I couldn't find one on any of the big online sites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Woah! 5 grand. That's a spicy meatball!! :)

Great bike though. My last 2 bikes have been tcr's but I remain convinced that the stingy/savvy price point is rim brakes and mechanical ultegra for €3600. A bit lighter and waaay cheaper.

I used this link to negotiate at an LBS in case helpful (and I'm not in Italy)

This was before the post Corona bikes boom really hit and they hadn't yet reopened, but it didn't take a lot of negotiation to get it down to that price.

I think RRP on that bike is 4799 btw

https://www.bikextreme.it/bici-da-corsa/4037-giant-tcr-advanced-pro-1-disc-2020.html#/misura-m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

fat bloke wrote: »

Great bike though. My last 2 bikes have been tcr's but I remain convinced that the stingy/savvy price point is rim brakes and mechanical ultegra for €3600. A bit lighter and waaay cheaper.

I'd be inclined to agree with you but the inner urge for disc brakes & my next TCR will be a 5 year bike so don't want to be tied to rim brakes 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a Giant Defy - not quite a TCR but a Giant nonetheless. I bought it in 2013 for €650 new. I've upgraded most of it since then but the frame is still going strong. I've used it in the sh1ttiest of weather - it's now my solidly reliable commuter/winter bike. I do maintain it quite well. There's over 31,000km on the frame but as I said other components have been replaced - not because they wore out but because I wanted to.

Some paint has flaked from the top of the fork but as it's aluminium I'm not worried about corrosion.

While I can't comment on a TCR, I'd recommend a Giant. Lifetime frame guarantee is distinct benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

crosstownk wrote: »
    Lifetime frame guarantee is distinct benefit.

Whoops. I just chopped up my old frame with an angle grinder as it had a really bad crack, that finally got to the very unsafe stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I've never had a Giant bike, but I'm thinking of upgrading to this model,

https://www.mycycle.ie/Giant-TCR-Advanced-Pro-1-Disc-2020-p/gianttcradprodisc120.htm

Has anyone got any experience of this TCR, or Giant in general?

I would give my left nut (or right) for that bike, that's all I got :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have a 2017 Ultegra TCR Advanced (rim brake) - got it's first spin of the year when the distance restriction went to 5km, and I fell back in love with it.

Only issue I've had are the stock wheels (needed a rebuild due to spokes breaking), but they're the PR2's rather than what you've got. I also have Alu Giant Defy Disc from a few years earlier still going as my winter (and currently on the turbo) bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I bought a second hand TCR late last year for doing some racing this year on. Love the bike, so much I've building another at the moment. It gets used ahead of my bianchi oltre xr4 and I've sold a canyon ultimate to build the new one. For a race bike I find it very comfy. I've had a fair few bikes over the years and it's my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What are you trading in ozzy? You'll get screwed by any shop on a second hand bike. Might do better here and negotiate with pure cash at the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I used this link to negotiate at an LBS in case helpful (and I'm not in Italy)

This was before the post Corona bikes boom really hit and they hadn't yet reopened, but it didn't take a lot of negotiation to get it down to that price.

I think RRP on that bike is 4799 btw

https://www.bikextreme.it/bici-da-corsa/4037-giant-tcr-advanced-pro-1-disc-2020.html#/misura-m

Maybe in Italy but the RRP in Ireland is €5299
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/bikes-tcr-advanced-pro-disc

Bit of a joke.

Btw I think McConvey cycles in Belfast had a previous year version in size ML for 2999 GBP when I was looking. Same spec, older model power meter, and different colour (blue). It wasn't on the website but I emailed them, would be some bargain if it fit, to the extent that spending over 3k on a bike can be a bargain

Never had a TCR but I have a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 and have never had a problem with it. I have done 43,000km on it and only fitted a new Ultegra groupset about 18 months ago at 35,000km. Highly recommend Giant carbon bikes.

fat bloke wrote: »

I spotted a 2019 rim brake TCR Advanced with Ultegra Di2 on a French site for 2199 today

The 2021 TCR's have just launched, although there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of stock of 2020 models lying around. I couldn't find one on any of the big online sites

I couldn't get the 2020 model. Have had a look online at the 2021 TCR. Not a fan of the colour and the way they have the cables on the frame looks terrible. Have a look at 9.40 in this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNirIT26ZTQ

I don't know what to go for now :(

Surely that cable management can be corrected or as that model came direct from the factory the shop bikes will be of shorter lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I had a mate of mine turn away from a propel advanced disc for a similar issue - cabling at the front was an absolute mess. Is it a disc thing? I've had no such issue with TCR's

• Advertisement

LBS has same model, I'll pop in for a look in the next few days. The video set up is awful admittedly, even the worst designer could see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You can sort out the cables of the bike yourself although I guess di2 and hydraulic discs make this much more difficult. Sometimes though the cable routing is drilled cheaply and there will always be play between the entrance to the frame and the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Giant are grand, a good bike but they are soft and not as durable as other good brands. For what you are expected to pay for them you would expect them to be a bit more robust and durable. In particular, I find that headstock, crank and pedal bearings tend to fail in them prematurely.

I think the thing with them is they are designed only to deal with good road conditions in good weather, like in their country of design - the USA. That is fine over there are they are probably fine, but when you take it and ride them around on pot holey Irish roads with sideways rain, road salt, Irish damp, mud, etc things start to fail much sooner than they ought to on a new bike.

A ridgeback or trek are far more tolerant of real world conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Giant are grand, a good bike but they are soft and not as durable as other good brands. For what you are expected to pay for them you would expect them to be a bit more robust and durable. In particular, I find that headstock, crank and pedal bearings tend to fail in them prematurely.

I think the thing with them is they are designed only to deal with good road conditions in good weather, like in their country of design - the USA. That is fine over there are they are probably fine, but when you take it and ride them around on pot holey Irish roads with sideways rain, road salt, Irish damp, mud, etc things start to fail much sooner than they ought to on a new bike.

In fairness to you, you are capable of posting complete boll1x on almost any forum/subject with complete certainty.

Take a bow

Pure Bull****. Ultegra cranks are fitted to most top end brands and you fit your own pedals. I have a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 and have never had a problem with it. I have done 43,000km on it and only fitted a new Ultegra groupset about 18 months ago at 35,000km. Highly recommend Giant carbon bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Pure bullshít? then why have I had to change headstock bearings and main crank bearings on a less that 2 year old Giant that is fairly well looked after, meanwhile I have a 20 year old Raleigh that has had a more abusive history of use and a lot more kms up on it and everything is original bar the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

that's not my experience of riding a Defy for approx 3 years - extremely comfortable bike, and i don't live in the USA. BTW in terms of value Giant are always better value than comparable brands. it doesn't matter where a bike is designed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I couldn't get the 2020 model. Have had a look online at the 2021 TCR. Not a fan of the colour and the way they have the cables on the frame looks terrible. Have a look at 9.40 in this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNirIT26ZTQ

I don't know what to go for now :(

The cables on my defy advanced 2 2020 were messy when I bought it. I cleaned them up with a bit of black insulation tape.

I bet down from the hellfire club today on the hardcore trail at 45 klm. Bike handled very well and smooth over rough terrain. Got a puncture though on the stock tyres as they aren't great. But still it was great to really push the bike on hard gravel and see it handle so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

A ridgeback or trek are far more tolerant of real world conditions

Trek and giant are probably made in the same factory.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    LBS has same model, I'll pop in for a look in the next few days. The video set up is awful admittedly, even the worst designer could see that.

Seen the TCR in the flesh today. It's worse than I thought, ruins the bike.

Advertisement