Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Reward.. hrmmm.. that could be a word for it...

The show continues to deliver what it delivered, and then more, and then more on top of that and then .. did you even think about this other thing.. plus who even knows what's gonna come next!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

One of the things that made season two less enjoyable for me was that it was hard to remember exactly what went on and who was who as it had been nearly a year since I'd watched season one, it is quite a confusing show in fairness. But if you are only watching season one now it should be a lot fresher in the memory and might make it easier to follow.

It is kinda a show that would probably work better with full-on binge-mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

here are a couple of links I used while watching series 2 to keep track of the characters. I just used the family tree images mainly . If you haven't caught up very far there would be some spoilers in the text of these images.
    On one of the sites, there is further information underneath about the main characters. This will also provide spoilers , so be warned

https://www.tvguide.com/news/dark-how-everything-connected-netflix/
    https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/2019/06/22/b184906c-060d-4e03-956c-6a364bc397e0/dark-family-tree-season-2-final.png

They will be especially useful when rewatching the first 2 series before series 3 lands.

In the meantime, I have just discovered Travelers on Netflix which seems to be very good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Use the official website: https://dark.netflix.io/

It allows you to look up characters, timelines, etc and - importantly - caters for spoilers as it lets you reveal information up to the episode you're watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

So I watched until the end of season two. It is a clever weave of storytelling.
    I enjoyed the scenes between the older and younger versions of the same character, the self fulfilling dialogues and corruption of not only time but their younger selves, intentionally in some cases.
    The time loop can't really be fixed within the loop but the many-worlds glimpse we get at the end of season two offers hope that Jonas' brain won't be melted for sixty six more years. Or is that ninety nine?
    All in all it's interesting mix of greek tragedy and paradoxes; man's tragic desires and selfish mistakes can follow 'him' through time and reoccur and corrupt, impacting in many ways.

There are a few loose ends like who is the one eyed detective, who is Kholer, what does Peter Doppler know and what is crazy Hannah going to do next? All to come in season three of course but I can easily wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Binged this in 4 nights and is probably one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The level of writing is beyond anything in any other TV show. Incredible really, they pretty much would have had to have planned every episode across 3 seasons out before the thing even started.

Probably preferred season 2, but barely. Both seasons are incredible.

The hairs on the back of my head stood up so many times with different moments, absolutely blown away by it.

I heard the final season is out next month so luckily dont have long to wait. I cannot imagine waiting a year for answers, I literally havent thought about anything else since I have finished it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Binged this in 4 nights and is probably one of the best shows I've ever seen.

The level of writing is beyond anything in any other TV show. Incredible really, they pretty much would have had to have planned every episode across 3 seasons out before the thing even started.

Probably preferred season 2, but barely. Both seasons are incredible.

The hairs on the back of my head stood up so many times with different moments, absolutely blown away by it.

I heard the final season is out next month so luckily dont have long to wait. I cannot imagine waiting a year for answers, I literally havent thought about anything else since I have finished it!

It really is brilliantly done. I think of all the shows I've watched over the years and this would definitely be in the top 3. It's ticking so many boxes that Lost infuriatingly left empty.

I do wonder if there will be an (inevitable) US english language remake of Dark and if anything will be lost in translation. Something about the setting really adds to the appeal of the show, though I suppose there's plenty of similarly secluded, mysterious and wooded small towns in the Northern part of America which could pass for a Winden-type setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It really is brilliantly done. I think of all the shows I've watched over the years and this would definitely be in the top 3. It's ticking so many boxes that Lost infuriatingly left empty.

I do wonder if there will be an (inevitable) US english language remake of Dark and if anything will be lost in translation. Something about the setting really adds to the appeal of the show, though I suppose there's plenty of similarly secluded, mysterious and wooded small towns in the Northern part of America which could pass for a Winden-type setting.

I can't imagine it could be as good,many say the The Killing US remake was as good if not superior to Forbrydelsen.

Not a chance IMO.

That dark atmosphere could not be replicated,I agree though Dark is a wonderful show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's based on a web series, so yeah, everything ran like clockwork for this (:pac:) .
    Any kinks in the system would have been ironed out to make this one of the best science fiction shows ever.

• Advertisement

Time for a rewatch of the first two seasons I think. I saw this last year, and after the passing of such time I can say that it's one of the best TV shows I've ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

I wonder if season 3 will be released on the beginning of the last cycle which is the 27th of June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Tockman wrote: »
    I wonder if season 3 will be released on the beginning of the last cycle which is the 27th of June!

Thats the rumour alright, considering the second season released on the beginning of the 2nd cycle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I love theres only 1 more season. Not dragging the arse out of it. Can't wait for it. Stellar television.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The rumours were right.. back on 27th June..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Excited. Easily one of the best "dark horse" shows on TV ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Nice touch, revealing the announcement date 33 days before it begins.
    Looking forward to it now.

I think I'll go look for a recap.. but closer to the date.. try to keep it fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Slydice wrote: »
    I think I'll go look for a recap.. but closer to the date.. try to keep it fresh!

Yeah, would love a decent re-cap rather than having to re-watch the whole show again before Season 3...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Finally I've found some people who have watched (and thankfully loved) Dark. I can't believe this show isn't more popular. It's genius in how all the threads interconnect but without being too smart and smug. I think it'll be a good show to watch back and pick up all the things that you missed and that the creators/writers had set up. I love the look and feel of it and the characters. I am in awe at how good the casting is, especially with middle aged and old Ulrich. I thought they were the same person or at least related.

Absolutely love Claudia's character. She's just brilliant. I love her 80's look and how she was the boss of a nuclear plant before going off to save the world.

I have to admit though, I am that person who watched it in English, but to be fair I did read the subs. I usually watch in the original language but I've no idea why I didn't switch to German, considering I have a fairly good grasp of it.

Dark and 3% are my favourite Netflix shows. They are unreal and as many posters have said (I've just binged read this entire thread, which was a bit of time travel) it's like nothing that you'd see from the UK/US. Although I do really love The OA and I'm gutted it was cancelled. Thank goodness we have a final season for this series.

Oh and while I'm at it. Someone posted a video a while back on this thread about Dark and it showed all the characters repeating the same actions / phrases throughout the years. Just that level of attention to detail is what makes me love this show even more. It really is a craft to script out all this things and make it seamlessly fit in so that you don't notice it (until it's shown in a montage), so not shoehorned in, which reinforces the loop concept. Really intrigued by the mythology concept now.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Also loved the first season and after reading how it was best to rewatch it before season 2, I parked it until the final season. Willpower :D gonna be a great two or three weeks now. Will the full season 3 drop at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I never thought I'd be one of those people eagerly anticipating the approaching doomsday Apocalypse.
    Sic Mundus.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wyrn wrote: »

Oh and while I'm at it. Someone posted a video a while back on this thread about Dark and it showed all the characters repeating the same actions / phrases throughout the years. Just that level of attention to detail is what makes me love this show even more. It really is a craft to script out all this things and make it seamlessly fit in so that you don't notice it (until it's shown in a montage), so not shoehorned in, which reinforces the loop concept. Really intrigued by the mythology concept now.

Think that was me..?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110947843&postcount=177

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Yes, thank you! Sorry I was too lazy to go back and check. Just that video alone shows how well everything is plotted out.
    I think the producers did the same with the first 2 series trailers, but here is the current promo for series 3 and if you play it backwards, it makes sense

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarK/comments/gr4qfz/i_was_thinking_how_much_is_in_reverse_so_i_played/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Took the advice of others and binged watch season 1. I really paid attention like suggested and think I got all reveals in advance of them coming out, so thanks for the tip.

Have to say I really enjoyed the world that’s been created in this. Very dark and dirty feel about the town. At one stage it felt like loads of stories seemed to
    overlap in different timelines
    . There’s a lot of people in that town who
    really are not very likable at all
    . The lad who actually
    was trying to figure it all out while scoring his aunty
    Was the only nice person I can think of off the top of my head.

Is second season as good?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Took the advice of others and binged watch season 1. I really paid attention like suggested and think I got all reveals in advance of them coming out, so thanks for the tip.

Have to say I really enjoyed the world that’s been created in this. Very dark and dirty feel about the town. At one stage it felt like loads of stories seemed to
    overlap in different timelines
    . There’s a lot of people in that town who
    really are not very likable at all
    . The lad who actually
    was trying to figure it all out while scoring his aunty
    Was the only nice person I can think of off the top of my head.

Is second season as good?

Nope...
    It's even better!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just about to start S1 again. Looking forwards to the next few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

going to watch both seasons again next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

F**k it, might do a re-watch of the first two seasons before the final season. It's enjoyable enough a show that I won't mind seeing it all again (Season 1 for the 3rd time)...

Advertisement