Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorists urged to be more aware of pedestrians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

User1998 wrote: »
    Yes there was? The one where the biker goes around the corner too fast and dies. It was being shown for ages

https://youtu.be/_l8z6xoEf2Y

Powerful ad although thought yer wans cry acting was absolutely terrible...

The other one with sons and brothers assumes every motorcyclist is male for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

User1998 wrote: »
    Yes there was? The one where the biker goes around the corner too fast and dies. It was being shown for ages

https://youtu.be/_l8z6xoEf2Y

Fair point, thanks. But if I remember rightly, that one ran a couple of years after the one I was referring to. What I meant was that there was no corresponding advert at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

begbysback wrote: »
    Yea, common sight to see cyclists 2&3 deep on the roads now because theres less traffic, would highly agree that messages should be directed to pedestrians & cyclists that they need to be more aware.

Cyclists 2&3 deep? How is that dangerous exactly? A group of cyclists is easier to see then one single cyclist. On narrow /twisty roads, a group of cyclists take up more of the road, which means more care/attention needed by drivers who want to overtake. This makes it safer for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

The John and Marys with their two children keanu and Vada wobbling on their Argos pushbikes on national roads are a new sight for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The larger/heavier the vehicle you are driving, the more we expect you to take care with it due to the damage you can do. This is not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Podge201 wrote: »
    The John and Marys with their two children keanu and Vada wobbling on their Argos pushbikes on national roads are a new sight for sure.

I actually seen something like that the other day.
    A father on a bike with his very young son behind him going through rathmines.
    I reckon his kid was no older then 8 and was only learning to cycle without help(stabalizers)

The kid was wobbling and straffing all over the road. He was doing his best to stick close to the pat but it was really dangerous.
    Luckily there was abit of traffic so things were slowed down abit.
    But that father is some gob****e for putting his son at risk.
    At least put him on the path to cycle a garda wont bat an eyelid at a young kid on a pat cycling.

After I overtook a bus was coming up behind me when I check the rear view mirror. I wouldn't fancy having my kid be infront of a bus never mind a car when cycling like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...But the RTE headline is the easy one of "drivers urged to be mindful of pedestrians".

Saying "pedestrians urged to be mindful of drivers" or "cyclists urged to be mindful of drivers" would have been equally valid....
    How on earth would it be equally valid? Pedestrians and cyclists haven't killed many motorists (that I know of anyway).

Sweet Jesus - you have to wonder about some people's logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Give them silly names and sneer at where they bought their bikes, but get used to it. Families are trying their best to exercise within their 5k limit and if they're rural it might mean intruding on your national road. Back off, give them space and let them wobble. Where would you be going in such a rush not to do so?

Agree! It's great seeing families getting out on bikes. Pity it took a global pandemic to make them feel safe while cycling on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The advert that really pissed me off was the one where the music is being sped up as the advert goes on, at the very end a father walking with his child walks across a pedestrian crossing into the path of the oncoming car, if you have right of way at a pedestrian crossing it matters little if you walk out in front of a car going 50k.
    Everyone needs to be aware not just motorists, the same with the guy on the bike up the inside of a lorry or a lady out walking at night without a light or hi-vis, in a 1 on 1 with a car truck or bus you're coming out the wrong side of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Give them silly names and sneer at where they bought their bikes, but get used to it. Families are trying their best to exercise within their 5k limit and if they're rural it might mean intruding on your national road. Back off, give them space and let them wobble. Where would you be going in such a rush not to do so?

I never said I was in a rush anywhere.

The advert that really pissed me off was the one where the music is being sped up as the advert goes on, at the very end a father walking with his child walks across a pedestrian crossing into the path of the oncoming car, if you have right of way at a pedestrian crossing it matters little if you walk out in front of a car going 50k.
    Everyone needs to be aware not just motorists, the same with the guy on the bike up the inside of a lorry or a lady out walking at night without a light or hi-vis, in a 1 on 1 with a car truck or bus you're coming out the wrong side of it

Yeah that music was annoying alright. Still, any descent driver would have seen the pedestrian crossing and would have seen the light turning red and would have stopped to allow the guy and his daughter cross the road! Cyclists oblivious to the danger they put themselves in when they squeeze up,the inside of HGV's is down to inexperience by the cyclist. No experienced cyclist would do such a thing. Mind you, there are times when it's the HGV driver that moves up alongside the cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bullish attitude of the OP. The general trend in design nowadays is that pedestrian and cyclist has priority and that vehicles should always yield.

I myself was waking along Patrick st in cork yesterday and a side street crosses over the pedestrian priority area on Patrick st. Bollox in a SUV beeps me - he was the motorist in the pedestrian area and he beeps me. I told him to calm down and f off.

The street with the postage stamp sized sign informing that it is a pedestrian priority zone. Neither fish nor fowl type streets don't work here. Make it one or the other.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yeah that music was annoying alright. Still, any descent driver would have seen the pedestrian crossing and would have seen the light turning red and would have stopped to allow the guy and his daughter cross the road! Cyclists oblivious to the danger they put themselves in when they squeeze up,the inside of HGV's is down to inexperience by the cyclist. No experienced cyclist would do such a thing. Mind you, there are times when it's the HGV driver that moves up alongside the cyclist!

My point being you don't take it for granted that the driver approaching the crossing is a decent driver, just don't walk onto any part of the road without making sure it's safe to do so no matter how right you are, we learned all this in national school, sure the driver is wrong but there's a good chance the pedestrian is dead, personal responsibility comes into play on both sides

My point being you don't take it for granted that the driver approaching the crossing is a decent driver, just don't walk onto any part of the road without making sure it's safe to do so no matter how right you are, we learned all this in national school, sure the driver is wrong but there's a good chance the pedestrian is dead, personal responsibility comes into play on both sides

You do realise the ad your referring to was trying to educate drivers to the dangers of driving at speed? It showed pedestrians crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, which is where they are supposed to cross?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You do realise the ad your referring to was trying to educate drivers to the dangers of driving at speed? It showed pedestrians crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, which is where they are supposed to cross?

Yea i got that, speed kills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Amirani wrote: »
    Motorists are the ones driving the machine that's going to cause injury, it's on them to be vigilant. It's a fairly fundamental part of driving.

When I'm driving, I fully accept that it's my responsibility not to kill a vulnerable road user with the piece of equipment I'm driving. It's my actions (using the accelerator) that is cause any fatality. A pedestrian isn't going to die by walking into my stationary car, they'll only die if I press the accelerator and drive into them. I'm not sure how that could even be up for debate.

Motorists must abide by the rules of the road, if I drive straight through a red light then I am at fault. Cyclists too must abide by the same rules, if they are 2/3 abreast on the road then they are at fault.

Pedestrians are required to have common sense and not walk in front of an oncoming car.

How is it even up for debate that all road users have a responsibility?

... Cyclists too must abide by the same rules, if they are 2/3 abreast on the road then they are at fault...
    2 abreast is perfectly legal. 3 abreast is perfectly legal when 2 cycling abreast are overtaking a solo cyclist.

Haven't you see the RSA advertising pointing this out to motorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've noticed driver manners on roads have gotten considerably worse over the last few years. I ride horses. Road work is an important part of their education, and welfare. However, I've noticed that people are less and less considerate of other users on the road. Drivers are more hostile and aggressive in their approach. Thankfully, the horses at the yard are older and don't mind traffic as they were taught when people were much more considerate and were therefore given a solid foundation but I would think twice about bringing a younger horse out.

I've also noticed from driving that people have less manners. People no longer pull in on narrow roads if they reach a space first. They don't thank you if you pull in. Heck, the amount of people that wave a greeting has plummeted to the point where it's rare!

As a driver and a vulnerable road user, I'm not sure what the issue is about just having a bit more awareness and consideration for things around you. Yes, some vulnerable road users act the ejit, but telling yourself that isn't going to help the sleepless nights if you hurt or kill someone...

2 abreast is perfectly legal. 3 abreast is perfectly legal when 2 cycling abreast are overtaking a solo cyclist.

Haven't you see the RSA advertising pointing this out to motorists?

It’s actually more that there is no law to say they can’t unless they are overtaking parked cars, same as there is no law to prevent pedestrians from walking into oncoming traffic.

We aren’t talking about country roads here, cyclists have taken recently to cycling 2 abreast on main roads as there is less traffic, this is dangerous, even if we are the only country in Europe that hasn’t bothered to update its laws to prevent 2 abreast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Amirani wrote: »
    Motorists are the ones driving the machine that's going to cause injury, it's on them to be vigilant. It's a fairly fundamental part of driving.

When I'm driving, I fully accept that it's my responsibility not to kill a vulnerable road user with the piece of equipment I'm driving. It's my actions (using the accelerator) that is cause any fatality. A pedestrian isn't going to die by walking into my stationary car, they'll only die if I press the accelerator and drive into them. I'm not sure how that could even be up for debate.

If someone walks out in front of me, they've walked out in front of me. People need to be responsible for their actions.

I just try my best not to hit anything.

... cyclists have taken recently to cycling 2 abreast on main roads as there is less traffic, this is dangerous...
    They do it because it's safer as it forces motorists to perform a proper overtaking manoeuvre rather to squeezing past when there is oncoming vehicles. Hence the reason why it is legal.

I just try my best not to hit anything.

Like we all do, and will try to practice common courtesy safely on the road, this includes not holding others up unnecessarily, whereas cycling abreast most definitely ignores common courtesy and is unsafe around busy streets.

They do it because it's safer as it forces motorists to perform a proper overtaking manoeuvre rather to squeezing past when there is oncoming vehicles. Hence the reason why it is legal.

The “do not drink” on a bottle of bleach is there for the same people who believe cycling 2 abreast on a main road is safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭micks_address

Two people walked out in front of me this week at junctions. I don't know if it's because people think there's no cars on the road or had a period of little to no traffic that they a little more relaxed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we are the only country in Europe that hasn’t bothered to update its laws to prevent 2 abreast.
    this is untrue.

Everyone needs to be aware not just motorists,
    this is true, but whether or not you intend it, your post implies some sort of equivalence of responsibility. the responsibility weighs vastly more heavily on the motorist; they are the one driving a vehicle typically weighing a ton or more at speeds considerably higher than pedestrians can manage.

the greater the damage your vehicle can do, the greater responsibility on you and higher level of training you need, this is common sense.

That kind of sanctimonious black and white viewpoint is in fact of no help to vulnerable road users. By your measure, the lorrry driver is at fault here

By placing 100% of blame on the car driver, you're absolving the pedestrian of 100% blame - who in fact should be mindful of their own safety too.

If I walk home hammered drunk in the middle of an unlit, winding country road at night, wearing all black, and get hit, the vast majority of any blame for that is on me, not the driver.

Of course it's up to the driver to take every reasonable precaution, as they are more likely to be the cause of injury, but everyone using the road has to watch out for themselves too.

That is a terrible example. The video is an infamous case of two sisters who had a form of psychosis and ran onto a motorway. Very little to do with driving with proper care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Two people walked out in front of me this week at junctions. I don't know if it's because people think there's no cars on the road or had a period of little to no traffic that they a little more relaxed

Junctions are the correct place for pedestrians to cross. Assuming that you would have to be exercising care to proceed in your chosen direction at a junction the Statue would apply:
    SI332 wrote:
    (c) in article 8, by substituting for sub-articles (5) and (6) the following:

“(5) At a junction of 2 roads at which traffic sign number RUS 027 (stop), RUS 026 (yield / Géill Slí), RRM 017 (stop line), RRM 018 (yield line) or any traffic sign indicating which of the roads is the major road has not been provided, the driver of a vehicle approaching that junction shall—

(a) where the road on which he or she is driving terminates at the junction, yield the right of way to traffic and pedestrians on the other road, or

(b) where the road on which he or she is driving does not terminate at the junction, yield the right of way to traffic and pedestrians approaching the junction from the right on the other road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement