Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Sale on the Munster gear at the moment

https://www.lifestylesports.com/ie/munster-rugby/

A word of warning for anyone looking at the bargain prices on player fit jerseys. I usually wear kids 11-12 jerseys and the small player fit is super tight on me. So size up, a couple of sizes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Caranica wrote: »
    A word of warning for anyone looking at the bargain prices on player fit jerseys. I usually wear kids 11-12 jerseys and the small player fit is super tight on me. So size up, a couple of sizes!

You'd make a fine Tight Head prop!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting chat on OTB last night between ROG and Wood (might have been a repeat as I feel like I'd heard it before). ROG said that he wants to come home in 2-3 years because of the age of his kids and he doesn't want them chopping and changing schools anymore. In terms of timelines that seems a very likely period as to when the current coaching team would be reaching a natural end; JVG will have been involved for 5 years at that point.

Some really good, honest analysis and comment from both of them in terms of goal kicking both from ROG's perspective and how Wood, as captain, interacted with him and viewed him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Brian Scott forced to retire due to foot ligament injury. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/05/26/brian-scott-to-retire-on-medical-grounds/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Another academy prospect hit by the injury curse. Such a pity for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Brian Scott forced to retire due to foot ligament injury. https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/05/26/brian-scott-to-retire-on-medical-grounds/

That's a shame, surprised to see he was 27

Might further explain the signing of Salanoa

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/05/26/player-update-7/

Darren O'Shea, Sean O'Connor and Ciaran Parker leave Munster.

No real shock there, best of luck to all of them

Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    John Ryan 2022
    Roman Salanoa 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2021
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2
    Paddy Kelly Year 1
    Eoin O'Connor Year 1

Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    John Hodnett Year 1

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jake Flannery Year 1
    Ben Healy Year 2

Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2021
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2021
    Shane Daly 2021
    Keith Earls 2021
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Alan Tynan Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

Confirmed 2020/21 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN: Roman Salanoa (PR, Leinster), RG Snyman (LK, Honda Heat), Damian de Allende (CT, Panasonic Wild Knights), Matt Gallagher (FB, Saracens)
    OUT: Brian Scott (PR, Retired), Ciaran Parker (PR, England/TBC), Sean O'Connor (SR, England/TBC), Darren O'Shea (SR, TBC), Arno Botha (BR, Blue Bulls), Conor Oliver (BR, Connacht), Tyler Bleyendaal (FH, Retired), Sammy Arnold (CT, Connacht)

Out of Contract:
    Jack Stafford
    Alan Tynan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Confirmed 2020/21 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN: RG Snyman (LK, Honda Heat), Damian de Allende (CT, Panasonic Wild Knights), Matt Gallagher (FB, Saracens)
    OUT: Brian Scott (PR, Retired), Ciaran Parker (PR, England/TBC), Sean O'Connor (SR, England/TBC), Darren O'Shea (SR, TBC), Arno Botha (BR, Blue Bulls), Conor Oliver (BR, Connacht), Tyler Bleyendaal (FH, Retired), Sammy Arnold (CT, Connacht)

Out of Contract:
    Jack Stafford
    Alan Tynan

Need to add Salanoa to you IN list thomond.
    And I thought Cloete had 1 or 2 SA caps and therefore couldn't qualify for Ireland?

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    And I thought Cloete had 1 or 2 SA caps and therefore couldn't qualify for Ireland?

Thanks.

Cloete isn't capped. He wasn't a high profile player in SA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That was Botha with the 2 caps.

He's capped at South African A level which doesn't rule him out for Irish qualification. They were not South Africa's designated second side in 2017 (when he was capped). They were nominated as their second team from 2018 onwards as countries were no longer allowed nominate their U20 side as their second side which was being done in some instances to make players less attractive to clubs from other parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He's been here a while, he might be qualified?

Or maybe he went back to US in the interim, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He's been here a while, he might be qualified?

Or maybe he went back to US in the interim, I don't know

He said the IN list not the NIQ list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Bit of a curve ball here BUT has anybody else got a secret sinking suspicion we could be about to witness CJ's last season in Munster? Out of contract at end of next season, now has a young family, Irish place under increasing pressure and young enough to go back to SA a play out a couple of years in the sun and on the farm? One of my favourite players in the last ten years and would hate to see him go but its nagging at me that the end could be close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

theboss80 wrote: »
    Bit of a curve ball here BUT has anybody else got a secret sinking suspicion we could be about to witness CJ's last season in Munster? Out of contract at end of next season, now has a young family, Irish place under increasing pressure and young enough to go back to SA a play out a couple of years in the sun and on the farm? One of my favourite players in the last ten years and would hate to see him go but its nagging at me that the end could be close.

There is a good few 30 somethings across the provinces now who are out of contract this time next year I think. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 leave (or retire) for much better offers if IRFU are having to cut back

Not sure what situation is like in SA financially though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility I guess. Will be 31 next season. Maybe he'd target Lions spot next summer and might think RWC 2023 may be a bit far out. But who knows really, have to wait and see I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would love to see CJ stay here when he’s not in the Irish set up. Be great to have him all season just in red! With a bit of anger about not being in the Irish camp as well!

CJ has just turned 30, he's making the sort of money a non-Springbok could only dream of in South Africa. I would question if his Irish place is really under pressure, we've seen no evidence of that yet.

Unless he absolutely hates it here, he's not going anywhere.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    There is a good few 30 somethings across the provinces now who are out of contract this time next year I think. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 leave (or retire) for much better offers if IRFU are having to cut back

SA just made sweeping pay cuts to players and staff, getting about 25% of remunerations off the books, with some players opting out of their contracts as a result. They aren't going to be throwing money at anyone who isn't an established Springbok. If CJ returns to SA then it's because he's retired.

I imagine there will be pressure to not renew some outer squad players but the IRFU aren't going to let established internationals walk if they can help it. It's those players that are driving the income of the system. Munster are set to have 43 senior players next year (we await news of the possible Wootton departure) with about half of those players out of contract in 2021. Maybe for 2021/22 that goes down to 38-40 with academy players providing more cover?

• Advertisement

Cant remember exactly who it was,
    but I remember a SA player who played with Ulster saying he was on 4 times the money at Ulster than he would be in SA.

I cant see CJ returning to SA

But if (when) the IRFU are making cuts post Covid and a French team throws a bag of money at him then I could see him moving to France.

He was MOTM in 2 of the 3 six nations games Ireland played this year, his Irish place is pretty safe at the moment

SA just made sweeping pay cuts to players and staff, getting about 25% of remunerations off the books, with some players opting out of their contracts as a result. They aren't going to be throwing money at anyone who isn't an established Springbok. If CJ returns to SA then it's because he's retired.

I imagine there will be pressure to not renew some outer squad players but the IRFU aren't going to let established internationals walk if they can help it. It's those players that are driving the income of the system. Munster are set to have 43 senior players next year (we await news of the possible Wootton departure) with about half of those players out of contract in 2021. Maybe for 2021/22 that goes down to 38-40 with academy players providing more cover?

That's why I reckon we will see a bit more movement around the provinces for whatever 2020-21 season we get, and possibly beyond then too. Bad time to be negotiating a new contract if your ambition is to play the next RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I would say CJ is possible one of the first names on the team sheet either at six or eight. He has a superb engine, huge work rate and is rarely injured.

I would say CJ is possible one of the first names on the team sheet either at six or eight. He has a superb engine, huge work rate and is rarely injured.

Stander is out of contract next summer. Philip Browne spoke on OTB this morning about wage deferrals potentially becoming wage cuts. Every player negotiating in the next 6-8 months will in all likelihood be getting offered a contract worth less, especially if IRFU go down the road of 1 year contracts for over 30s.

It's not unrealistic to think we MAY see one or two high profile players move if they get offered something much bigger in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would question if his Irish place is really under pressure, we've seen no evidence of that yet.

His place was under severe threat from Jack Conan. Conan was in the ascendancy and was due to start the second game in the world cup until he had that desperately unlucky foot injury.

I think Conan would have taken the 8 place from him as Conan is far more dynamic, has footwork and hands. CJS better at running directly into the centre of the tackler. Plus tacklers know he's not going to sidestep, he's not going to offload, he's not going to use a bit of footwork to make them think twice.

I'm not against CJ as he has loads of great qualities like his leadership and determination. I remember hearing a ref mike on the OTB podcast and all you could hear was CJ talking, giving instructions, encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

His place was under severe threat from Jack Conan. Conan was in the ascendancy and was due to start the second game in the world cup until he had that desperately unlucky foot injury.

Just because the newspapers decided that was the case doesn’t make it true. CJ was getting dropped after being man of the match against Scotland?

Even when Doris was picked in the first game of the 6N, it was at POM's expense, not Stander's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I think Conan would have taken the 8 place from him as Conan is far more dynamic, has footwork and hands. CJS better at running directly into the centre of the tackler. Plus tacklers know he's not going to sidestep, he's not going to offload, he's not going to use a bit of footwork to make them think twice.

I'm not against CJ as he has loads of great qualities like his leadership and determination. I remember hearing a ref mike on the OTB podcast and all you could hear was CJ talking, giving instructions, encouraging.

His place was never really under threat, the indo might have thought so,(shocking Indo against a munster player) bit it wasn’t happening

CJ was Ireland best player In Japan, one of the best players in the prior 6Ns.
    Conan was due to start a game in the group stage, yes, as rotation is a thing and he is a very talented back row player, but when he’s played international he has show nothing to even give a hint he’s above Cj at test level.

I’d be shocked if Cj leaves, built a house last year with his family, new child, seems more like planting roots than planning to leave anytime soon.

I hear he's probably not even coming back for next season. He's rattled by the emergence of Doris and his new house has fierce drainage problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Even when Doris was picked in the first game of the 6N, it was at POM's expense, not Stander's.

True. POM is under more pressure than Stander when it comes to their starting slot in green. Carrying was never one of his great strengths, but the things he built his game around, ruck work and lineout ability, haven't been as prevalent over the last 18 months or so.

Advertisement