Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a new sim card, how do I go about porting my existing phone number to it?

Options
  • 11-05-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

I got a new Nano SIM for use in new phone.

Two questions:

1) I intend on keeping my existing number so how do I port this to new SIM? What details do I need to give my provider for them to sort this?

2) How long does it take to port my number to new SIM & how will I know my new SIM is ready to use?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I am me123 wrote: »
    I got a new Nano SIM for use in new phone.

Two questions:

1) I intend on keeping my existing number so how do I port this to new SIM? What details do I need to give my provider for them to sort this?

2) How long does it take to port my number to new SIM & how will I know my new SIM is ready to use?

Thank you.
    How did you obtain the SIM?
    What network are you on now & planning on porting to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭I am me123

DopeTech wrote: »
    How did you obtain the SIM?
    What network are you on now & planning on porting to?

Contacted Three requesting new Nano SIM.
    I am with 3 & intend on keeping my existing number on new Nano SIM..
    (Got a new phone that takes a Nano SIM.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Contacted Three requesting new Nano SIM.
    I am with 3 & intend on keeping my existing number on new Nano SIM..
    (Got a new phone that takes a Nano SIM.)

If you have already received the new sim (multi-sim?). Keep a note of numbers on the packet. You will need to enter them on site: -

Visit:- https://www.three.ie/activate-my-sim/

And follow the prompts. It can take up to 24 Hours for the process to complete.
    Be-careful using your device (data), once you start the process. Because they have to deactivate the old sim and activate the new one.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    If you have already received the new sim (multi-sim?). Keep a note of numbers on the packet. You will need to enter them on site: -

Visit:- https://www.three.ie/activate-my-sim/

And follow the prompts. It can take up to 24 Hours for the process to complete.
    Be-careful using your device (data), once you start the process. Because they have to deactivate the old sim and activate the new one.

Thanks very much.

How will I know my new SIM is activated in my new phone? & deactivated in old phone)
    What indicates a SIM is activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Thanks very much.

How will I know my new SIM is activated in my new phone? & deactivated in old phone)
    What indicates a SIM is activated?
    Usually if you lose mobile coverage on the first sim, it indicates you should move onto the new sim.

• Advertisement

Usually if you lose mobile coverage on the first sim, it indicates you should move onto the new sim.

Thank you.
    Just wondering about the PUK code for the replacement SIM I ordered that I'm using now in new phone.
    Is it the same PUK as old SIM in old phone or a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Every SIM has it's own PIN/PUK so it's probably different to the old SIM.

PIN should be on new SIM label, PUK might also be on the same label, if not then PUK is available in my3.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Every SIM has it's own PIN/PUK so it's probably different to the old SIM.

PIN should be on new SIM label, PUK might also be on the same label, if not then PUK is available in my3.

Im trying to register for a My3 account on the website & it tells me the password is not long/short enough even though its 13 characters long with one upper case & 1 digit.
    What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

My3 password length has to be between 6 and 10 characters

Ten Pin wrote: »
    My3 password length has to be between 6 and 10 characters

Thanks I got the password issue for the My3 app sorted out using your advice 😠.
    Just wondering how do I find my PUK on the My3 app?

• Advertisement
Advertisement