Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold Radio - launching online 4 May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

There is a market there. Internet radio is difficult. You are competing against FM radio stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bard wrote: »
    What's hilarious? Someone else tried to do something and it didn't work out for them? Better to try and fail than to not bother your arse trying... making fun of them is just poor form.

If indeed they have failed and that's the end of it, that's disappointing - a couple of the guys due to be on air with them are friends/former colleagues of mine.

Tork was replying sarcastically to a comment about death.

Someone here must know someone who knows someone who knows what happened - radio is a very small business in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The name Gold Radio guaranteed that it got lost amongst all the other gold radio stations. Hardly anybody knew that it even existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Tork wrote: »
    No, the comment wasn't about the failure of Gold Radio but about the athiest retort. I was appalled by the sick comment made earlier which compared the demise of this radio station to a cot death. Anyway, let's not derail the thread. One person's hilarity is a kick in the gut to another (my cousin's baby was a cot death who didn't make it to her Christening so it is not one bit funny to me :()
    In that case, my apologies for misunderstanding your meaning.
    Anyway, back on comment. I think it's a real shame too. It's nice to have the option of listening to an Irish radio station which caters for an older audience. I'd love to know what happened too. It has the feel of a radio station which launched before it was ready to go, then crashed and burned before it even got started. It seems to have been beset with technical problems, lack of advertising and maybe, ultimately, lack of money.
    Agreed.
    Tork was replying sarcastically to a comment about death.
    Yes, he said so himself 14 hours before your reply. It's a wonder you didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭Tork

If RTE Gold closes, would they give it another go I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

If RTE Gold closes, would they give it another go I wonder?

Really hoping RTE Gold doesn't close because as much as I have the highest respect for Mike Moloney and the rest of the people involved, I don't think goldradio.ie could really replace it. I know it did not get much time but I did listen to it up to last Saturday and I found that it was really concentrated on the major hits of the 80s with some on heavy rotation.

Bearing in mind any faults RTE Gold has but I think it's one of the best gold formatted stations out there IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

My up most apologies for my total lack of respect for my senseless and hurtful comment, it went with the disappointment of something that didn't work out, I only know too well as I've experienced miscarriages and cot deaths in my family. It is good to be corrected.

Then why not delete the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Then why not delete the comment.

Could not delete the earlier comment, forget it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Could not delete the earlier comment, forget it and move on.

Perhaps DM the mods and ask them to delete it! Highly insensitive!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Am I the only one getting silence? Is there a glitch on their website or can it be listened to anywhere else? (Myriad of "Gold" stations when I search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting silence? Is there a glitch on their website or can it be listened to anywhere else? (Myriad of "Gold" stations when I search

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it has not been running since the 10th May- see pages 2 and 3. First, it was on a loop of one song and then it went silent. It is no longer available as an option on the Radio Garden app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

No great loss at all!

Bunch of has-been jocks trying to pretend that they know how to run and program a station. Failed miserably!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

No great loss at all!

Bunch of has-been jocks trying to pretend that they know how to run and program a station. Failed miserably!!

Whatever about your opinion, I will agree that they failed spectacularly. It’s bad form not to put up a notice why they stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

No great loss at all!

And dont you just love it......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

Sorry to see this station didn't continue for whatever reason.
    What I can't understand why it only lasted a few weeks, and pulled the plug without any notice or feedback to why ?
    I would have assumed all the presenters VT their shows 3 hour show = max 30 mins VT.( VT = voice tracking)
    As most of us would know internet radio is a very slow burner ,it can be very difficult to direct traffic/listeners over a short period and can take years to develop a steady listener-ship.
    DAB would't be a option as it's only a trial ( officially) and the same as above apply's regarding listeners .
    MW is not a option as BAI are not interested .

I wish Mike and the team the best for the future whatever that may hold .
    B

Happy to report, Gold Radio is back, phew.

Happy to report, Gold Radio is back, phew.

On the tenth day it rose from the dead and now for everlasting life.

Anyone know the reason for why it went off the air?

alzer100 wrote: »
    Anyone know the reason for why it went off the air?

Don't know, just glad its back on air, surely someone knows something.

Does anyone know the bitrate?

• Advertisement

I went on to their website a few minutes ago and I can't get it to play, even though it says Gold Breakfast with Electric Eddie is playing. It's also not on my Radio Garden app.

Working for me (desktop) though the website is not up to date - it says its the evening show

It works on my phone alright. Having heard a snippet of the music, I can't imagine myself listening to it too often! I see Pat James is no longer listed as one of the "jocks" on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Listened for an hour or so this morning, but no sign of Electric Eddie, despite him being listed as "currently on air".

Just wall to wall music with no station IDs

Could someone post up the web stream url please? Thanks

Got it through vlc player

http://hydra.shoutca.st:8356/goldradio

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭VanHalen

Mike Maloney says that he is no longer associated with the station. He says that despite what everyone thought, he wasn’t running it and was only there “to get jocks”. He has left over differences of opinion as to the format and is now planning his own station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

VanHalen wrote: »
    Mike Maloney says that he is no longer associated with the station. He says that despite what everyone thought, he wasn’t running it and was only there “to get jocks”. He has left over differences of opinion as to the format and is now planning his own station.

Well hope it’s not another Gold format. It’ll be all quantity and no quality

VanHalen wrote: »

Who actually owns the station? I know that it did exist for a while before the official launch was mentioned.

I honestly thought the folks at Christmas FM in which Mike has an association with would have come up with the RTE Gold replacement (if you would like to call it that).
    You know, like have the online Christmas FM stream playing a Gold formatted station then flipping it to Christmas FM at the end of November just like some of the US AC radio stations do. I mean they essentially have an empty studio in Ballsbridge with all of the equipment necessary.
    This is just something I thought of recently and I'm sure it's not impossible for it to happen.

Anyway with Mike not involved in goldradio.ie I don't think it's going to retain some (if any) of the presenters that it claimed to have on its schedule.
    I suppose it's a case now of "Watch this space"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

alzer100 wrote: »
    I honestly thought the folks at Christmas FM in which Mike has an association with would have come up with the RTE Gold replacement (if you would like to call it that).
    You know, like have the online Christmas FM stream playing a Gold formatted station then flipping it to Christmas FM at the end of November just like some of the US AC radio stations do. I mean they essentially have an empty studio in Ballsbridge with all of the equipment necessary.

i think they only lease the equipment for their time on air so i would doubt they actually have it outside their broadcast time.
    but i could very well be wrong on that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement