Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you move to if you had the choice in your 20s?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 11:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Where would you go now if you had the chance with a partner, anywhere in the world.
    Obviously for the purposes of this thread I’m talking about early 2021 - no move could be warranted at the moment.

I’m almost 27 and my girlfriend of 2 years will be turning 26 soon.
    She has her bachelors and masters degrees in Biomed science.
    I’m a QS/estimator in construction With a solid 6-7 years experience.

I’ve lived in Australia and England (midlands) for a year each, as well as Dublin for 2 years now.
    She’s never lived abroad but has lived with me now for a year.

I just think we’ll regret it if we don’t with no children right now.
    My girlfriend would be happy here the rest of her life but would move if I wanted to. I loved Australia, Sydney was class. But I was a single man there. San Francisco has always appealed to me but the rent is crazy. I don’t think London would appeal to either of us having been over a good bit.

Dubai is an interesting one but the culture is the big factor, we’d probably need to have a week there to see what we think first.

I own my own apartment in Dublin so there’s the matter of that, but also family. Both sets of parents are healthy and young enough, siblings are fine.

Curious to hear peoples trends on this at the minute. Canada was a big one over the last couple of years.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Where would you go now if you had the chance with a partner, anywhere in the world.
    Obviously for the purposes of this thread I’m talking about early 2021 - no move could be warranted at the moment.

I’m almost 27 and my girlfriend of 2 years will be turning 26 soon.
    She has her bachelors and masters degrees in Biomed science.
    I’m a QS/estimator in construction With a solid 6-7 years experience.

I’ve lived in Australia and England (midlands) for a year each, as well as Dublin for 2 years now.
    She’s never lived abroad but has lived with me now for a year.

I just think we’ll regret it if we don’t with no children right now.
    My girlfriend would be happy here the rest of her life but would move if I wanted to. I loved Australia, Sydney was class. But I was a single man there. San Francisco has always appealed to me but the rent is crazy. I don’t think London would appeal to either of us having been over a good bit.

Dubai is an interesting one but the culture is the big factor, we’d probably need to have a week there to see what we think first.

I own my own apartment in Dublin so there’s the matter of that, but also family. Both sets of parents are healthy and young enough, siblings are fine.

Curious to hear peoples trends on this at the minute. Canada was a big one over the last couple of years.

Continental Europe I’ve never considered. I suppose I could always trial it being in construction, a few weeks on and off somewhere first...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 billy king

How would you work a visa for the US?

Australia is good, so is Japan with a huge economy.

billy king wrote: »
    How would you work a visa for the US?

Australia is good, so is Japan with a huge economy.

Have a QS college mate over in New York at the minute. The big consultancies sponsor you for a few years. Not sure how residency goes- depends how valuable to them you become I suppose.

Australia is class but it is very far away. Unfortunately the whole of my home county and parish are in Sydney and Melbourne at the minute too which has made it a cliche over the last 3 years.

No idea about japan. Would feel a bit odd there? Or I’m underestimating the size of the expat population obviously in Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

If I was a young man again with the knowledge I have now I would choose either New Zealand, Canada or Germany.

I have lived in all three countries and they are all absolutely fantastic and offer so much more than Ireland will ever.

If I was a young man again with the knowledge I have now I would choose either New Zealand, Canada or Germany.

I have lived in all three countries and they are all absolutely fantastic and offer so much more than Ireland will ever.

Which was your favourite? (Or can you pick). One of my regrets from my short time in Oz was not going over to see NZ. Everyone said the wages aren’t as good in NZ but the cost of living remains the same... I didn’t believe them, anyway money isn’t the holy grail!

Never been to Germany but have to visit. Is it easy to integrate into society there if you’re non German speaking ?

Few friends in Canada but know very little about it. I pondered a move to Toronto for a few months at one stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d go to the Caribbean. Good work life balance

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d go to the Caribbean. Good work life balance

Are you serious or is this a pipe dream ? :)

Are you serious or is this a pipe dream ? :)

Deadly serious, I’ve a few friends, and I’ve done a few months out there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Which was your favourite? (Or can you pick). One of my regrets from my short time in Oz was not going over to see NZ. Everyone said the wages aren’t as good in NZ but the cost of living remains the same... I didn’t believe them, anyway money isn’t the holy grail!

Never been to Germany but have to visit. Is it easy to integrate into society there if you’re non German speaking ?

Few friends in Canada but know very little about it. I pondered a move to Toronto for a few months at one stage
    I'd choose NZ.

Germany you simply need to speak German, but that is the same in any country, you need to speak the language.

Canada is basically the USA but better, and easier to migrate to.

I'd choose NZ.

Germany you simply need to speak German, but that is the same in any country, you need to speak the language.

Canada is basically the USA but better, and easier to migrate to.

Based on that I’d probably pick Canada due to the distance from home! Although it’s a massive country I wouldn’t know where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I live in the Middle East. I reckon there is about 5 years left before it won't be worth it anymore.

I live in the Middle East. I reckon there is about 5 years left before it won't be worth it anymore

Interesting, whys that?

Is Abu Dhabi / Dubai still the main attraction for younger Irish ?
    Know a few guys worked in Oman, have never heard any good recommendations about Saudi Arabia

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I live in the Middle East. I reckon there is about 5 years left before it won't be worth it anymore.

What makes you say that? I'm living in Dubai and love it. Sort of wished I had of come years ago but very much enjoying it for what it is now. I'm lucky as my job has me covering europe and africa also not just middle east. Obviosuoy current situation is disastrous for many but if you still have a job and not getting pay cuts etc it's still good. Rents are coming down and cost of living too.

What do yoou think will happen in 5 years?

What’s your definition of “worth it?” Are you purely financially driven, or do you think the lifestyle will change dramatically over the next 5 years

Interesting, whys that?

Is Abu Dhabi / Dubai still the main attraction for younger Irish ?
    Know a few guys worked in Oman, have never heard any good recommendations about Saudi Arabia

I’ve a few projects in Oman spent 60 days there last year. Think it’s a great place, much different than what you see in Dubai etc

I’ve a few projects in Oman spent 60 days there last year. Think it’s a great place, much different than what you see in Dubai etc

When you say projects are you in construction / property / engineering as well?

Mercury/sisk/Collen and the like, the big construction players here seem to be the only few who offer roles abroad. And it’s all data centres which I found personally very very boring.
    Maybe better off going with a non Irish firm would you say? If I was to look.

When you say projects are you in construction / property / engineering as well?

Mercury/sisk/Collen and the like, the big construction players here seem to be the only few who offer roles abroad. And it’s all data centres which I found personally very very boring.
    Maybe better off going with a non Irish firm would you say? If I was to look.

I’m an engineering consultant . We work with electricity utilities all around the world building power plants , Substations , SCADA Control Centres. , etc . So before my Oman projects I was doing a project in the Caribbean and before that it was Malaysia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Hong Kong.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Hong Kong.

Thanks. What the attraction to it?

I’m an engineering consultant . We work with electricity utilities all around the world building power plants , Substations , SCADA Control Centres. , etc . So before my Oman projects I was doing a project in the Caribbean and before that it was Malaysia.

Class. If only I could get girlfriend talked into that.

• Advertisement

I guess it would depend on your reasons for going.
    Are they financial? Make an much as you can & come home after few years? Or would you like to actually live somewhere else, learn different cultures, languages, travel?
    All depends on the reasons

Financial would be a big player in it yes. Although I wouldn't be going abroad purely to make money and live in a cesspit or in the middle of nowhere it is important.

We'd almost definitely return home at some stage I'd imagine, but you never know.

In saying that I wouldn't move abroad to work every hour under the sun and not be able to enjoy the culture and have a decent work/life balance as well. Language I'd definitely be willing to learn, but we're the type that are quite organised. So if we committed to move somewhere it would be the case we'd look for 2 permanent type jobs and an apartment/house etc rather than travelling all over the place.

Sorry lads, I am in Oman, not the usual UAE answer. Expats are being forced out of jobs due to Omanisation of roles. The amount of skilled jobs available for foreigners is reducing, just this month a good friend was told his role doesn't exist anymore and as such the whole expat world is reducing.

Brilliant place to live and work. Where were you? Have you seen much of a reduction with Omanisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Continental Europe I’ve never considered. I suppose I could always trial it being in construction, a few weeks on and off somewhere first...

I like the idea of the south of Germany. Warm summers, snowy winters.
    Not too much of a language barrier.

You can drive to France, Switzerland, Italy, or wherever.

Yea from what I see here the main southern cities are - Nuremberg, Munich, Stuttgart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sweden,should have less of a recession than much of the rest of the world

Thanks but no thanks :D

Was offered a post in sweden 3 weeks on 1 weeks off 2 years ago to build a data centre. Couldn't think of anything worse to be honest. I'd say rural Ireland is livelier. A lot of the lads who took up the post got their 3 weeks on, down to 1 week out there and 3 weeks here. Hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yea from what I see here the main southern cities are - Nuremberg, Munich, Stuttgart.

South west is wine and cider country, south east is beer country.

Take your pick :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Would you really want to live in a country where it is dark in the morning until at least 9:00am and get's dark again at about 3:00pm...

Advertisement