Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar-ovision aka. SURLAW aka. Reverse Walrus; a Eurovision Style Contest

Options
  • 08-05-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

cnjMRdjl.jpg

Welcome to the first SURLAW contest here in Forum Games

For the regulars who are familiar with Walrus, this is essentially the opposite, where the host picks the songs, you lot rate them (via PM) and then the Reveal is very much like how the Eurovision results are done. This will either be a lot of fun or a complete and utter failure, but hopefully its the former and it can become a regular game here, with others hosting their own versions

Why I'm Doing It
    Too much free time on my hands due to the whole lockdown and the lack of Eurovision this year is giving me serious withdrawl... :D

How It Will Work:
    -Below I've linked to a Spotify Playlist with the 20 Songs in contention (I'll add YouTube links as well in the next post)
    -What you have to do, is just listen to them and figure out which 10 you like the best
    -When you're ready Private Message a numbered list from 1-10 of your choices (with 1 being your favourite of the songs and 10 being your 10th favourite)
    -First choices will earn 12 points, second 10 points, and third onwards 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points respectively (just like in Eurovision)
    -Once I've closed sign ups and tallied up all the points, I'll do a reveal thread, going through how everyone ranked the songs and adding the points to the running total (again, just like Eurovision)

Why I Chose The Songs I Chose:
    -Wanted to stick to ones that most people wouldn’t be overly familiar with to make it more of an even playing field
    -Went with ones that aren’t actually Eurovision songs, but probably wouldn’t feel too out of place if they did appear in Eurovision either
    -Mostly, it was just a random assortment of songs that I enjoy

Probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. Basically, listen to the songs here and then PM (that's Private Message for anyone joining us here for the first time) me your 10 favourites numbered 1 to 10 with 1 being your favourite

Please send me a list of 10 songs ; it won't work if people just pick 6 or 7 and then decide they don't want any of the rest, so even if you're not crazy about all 10 songs you choose, go for 10 anyway

Here's the Official Spotify Playlist for the first ever LeVar-ovision...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5TG1Vck7FVb5sTblhlbYKs?si=oc6_1SDoSK-xctpKiR_1yA

I've already ranked my own Top 10 as "Host Country" and they'll be included in with everyone else's points as well

I'll keep the sign-ups open for a couple of weeks anyway (tentative deadline is May 21st, but I may extend that) to give people a chance to have a proper listen to the tracks and hopefully get as many entrants as possible, as the more the merrier, and will announce the definitive closing date once I have a clearer picture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Amanda Palmer - Runs In The Family

Weezer - Beach Boys

Metric - Satellite Mind

machineheart - Altar

Paul Kelly - Dumb Things

Áine Cahill feat. Courage - Blood Diamonds

Dermot Kennedy - Power Over Me

The Bangles - Following

Ward Thomas - Rather Be Breathing

Fitness - Cold Rain

Travis - Something Anything

a-ha - Hunting High and Low

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Multi-Love

The Interrupters - She's Kerosene

The Shires - Lightning Strikes

Genesis - Land of Confusion

Wild Youth - Can't Move On

Amiel - Lovesong

Kate Bush - The Man with the Child In His Eyes

Lankum - The Young People

Weekend listening sorted. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very interesting idea Levar!!
    I think I already know my 12 points, you have a song in the list that I really really like!!!
    But I will listen to all of them, great way to discover music!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

dont even know whats happening, but i'll play. i feel sorry for peoples data!

• Advertisement

i feel sorry for peoples data!

I would hope people are using Wi-fi if they can. If you're listening to The Spotify playlist, it wouldn't use up much data anyway.
    dont even know whats happening, but i'll play.

What part don't you get? Need me to clear anything up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Already started listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I would hope people are using Wi-fi if they can. If you're listening to The Spotify playlist, it wouldn't use up much data anyway.

What part don't you get? Need me to clear anything up?

everything! :P

i'll get it

everything! :P

i'll get it

:D

I'll leave you to it so...

giphy.gif

I've had my first listen through all 20 songs.
    I've eliminated 7 that I wasn't keen on, the remaining 13 have moved on to a second round of listens.

My top 5 are pretty much settled (although the specific order is yet to be determined), the remaining 8 are competing for the last 5 spots. :cool:

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

I've had my first listen through all 20 songs.
    I've eliminated 7 that I wasn't keen on, the remaining 13 have moved on to a second round of listens.

My top 5 are pretty much settled (although the specific order is yet to be determined), the remaining 8 are competing for the last 5 spots. :cool:

giphy.gif

Nice. :D

Its much harder than one might think to rank them, I have to say. I ranked my own 10 yesterday afternoon before launching the competition (bearing in mind that I like all 20 songs) and actually settling on placements for my Top 10 and excluding 10 others was very tough.

Hopefully you lot won't find it as tough going though, as I'm sure you won't be as attached to the songs as I am, but who knows maybe you'll discover a few new favourites in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I too had first listen. Only 2 songs stood out that will definitely be in the final reckoning.
    I was cycling so wasn't able to check exactly which was which. Pleasant listen though, there was no song which made we want to stop and jump to the next.

Can you give us a definitive date by which we must submit our votes so I can stick a reminder in the calendar.

It does provide quite the insight in to your taste in music and gives further evidence to the the rumor that your dislike of Mariah Carey is rooted in unrequited love.

I too had first listen. Only 2 songs stood out that will definitely be in the final reckoning.
    I was cycling so wasn't able to check exactly which was which. Pleasant listen though, there was no song which made we want to stop and jump to the next.

Can you give us a definitive date by which we must submit our votes so I can stick a reminder in the calendar.

It does provide quite the insight in to your taste in music and gives further evidence to the the rumor that your dislike of Mariah Carey is rooted in unrequited love.

I'm glad you didn't feel the urge to stop and skip a song, it means my 4 years on Belfield FM in college, followed by a year on 98FM were not entirely wasted... ;)

I'll admit my vitriol hatred of Mariah was mostly put on for the fun of it in the Worst Song Tournament, but I would skip to the next song if she appeared in a playlist or flip the station if she was on the radio. All the vocal acrobatics she does are not my cup of tea. Also, All I Want For Christmas is certainly pure muck - my hatred for that particular song is very real. :D

I don't want to commit to a definitive date just yet, but I'll keep it open until at least Thursday the 21st of May - might extend it beyond that depending on how many people have put in at that point, because obviously the more people who take part, the more fun the reveal will be, but for now lets say 21st of May is the Deadline anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I just finished and sent my list.
    I had 11 songs after the first listen and it was between 2 for the elimination from the top-10.
    Getting them in a list was a bit trickier and I changed my mind a couple of times.
    At least 3 great new discoveries for me - and only one song I skipped while listening (a song I already knew and the artist does absolutely nothing for me).

As a big Eurovision fan for years, I can't wait for the reveal!!!

Thank you LeVar for organising and for introducing us to some great music!!!

Handful of entries starting to come in to my inbox now that people have had some time to listen through the playlist. Keep 'em coming, the more people taking part, the more fun the reveal will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Good idea, i had my first listen to all of them today and a couple really stood out, but i'll listen to each song a few more times before i send in my top 10 and if its like the real eurovision my favorite will be a song i didn't care for upon my first listen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Listened again today. 1 Song ruled out.

(Think you might like the music of Tegan and Sara, OP)

Listened again today. 1 Song ruled out.

(Think you might like the music of Tegan and Sara, OP)

Didn't they do that Lego Movie song???

...that was not awesome! If all there stuff is like that, then nope...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

This is tomorrow's spotify playlist sorted so! Will hopefully throw in my scores soon.

I too am pining for the loss of Eurovision ASLevar. I feel your pain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Didn't they do that Lego Movie song???

...that was not awesome! If all there stuff is like that, then nope...

Don't tell fixxxer that :D

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Don't tell fixxxer that :D

It was a fun song when sitting in the cinema watching the film, but have you tried listening to it just on its own without all the lego... ***yeesh***

Hmm. Why can't I find your playlist when I search for it on Spotify? Do I have to go through the link?

Just started listening.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Hmm. Why can't I find your playlist when I search for it on Spotify? Do I have to go through the link?

Should be able to search for it now. Didn't realise I had it set to secret. Its just called LeVar-ovision

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hoping I'll be able to squeeze a listen in between episodes of Paw Patrol :p

I always find it weird when you see a Boardsies real name. Very disappointed you're not the actual LeVar Burton. I know it was always very unlikely but I liked to believe! :pac:

Hoping I'll be able to squeeze a listen in between episodes of Paw Patrol :p

I always find it weird when you see a Boardsies real name. Very disappointed you're not the actual LeVar Burton. I know it was always very unlikely but I liked to believe! :pac:

Who's to say that other name isn't the alias? It allows me, the real LeVar Burton, a bit of reprieve from the masses of fans vying for my attention... ;)

I'm still trying to work out how I can just do the Eurovision next Saturday anyway. I think I might just watch the recorded videos on youtube in the order they were appearing (SF1, then SF2, then the big 5) and score them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Who's to say that other name isn't the alias? It allows me, the real LeVar Burton, a bit of reprieve from the masses of fans vying for my attention... ;)

Ah, clever!

7cf1f319d478639c9de0f703059a75a6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Really enjoyable playlist - will take another listen before judging but I have a couple of favourites picked already

I really expected to enjoy Land Of Confusion more than I did - The first version I ever heard was Disturbed's version and I think I prefer it to Genesis' version.

• Advertisement

I’m listening to Metric for the last couple of hours. I’ve never heard them before but I’m really liking their stuff.

Advertisement