Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours being a nuisance since Covid-19

Options

Comments

I won’t trust you on it anyway, the rules clearly give the power to arrest people who are away from their home without reason and who are not observing social distancing rules.

You either aren’t really a guard or are have a poor understanding of the rules. The people in the op are breaking multiple rules, likely outside 2/5km from home for an invalid reason, leaving home for an invalid reason, gathering in groups not from the same household, visiting another house etc etc.

Oh ffs!

Right, I'll leave it at that. You continue to read what isn't written and think you know more than the highest legal minds in the countyy

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eugenia Iliopoulou

Record the noise, take videos, keep notes. Keep evidence of everything that is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Disconnect your doorbell.

He/She shouldn't have to surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

:D only on boards would you get the virtual experts who know more about it than people in the job. Lord save us.

OP. Would it be a council issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Could you, by any chance just trust me on this? It is my job after all and I have read the instructions and legislation regarding my powers along with the decision of the AG, dpp and Garda legal section. If not, there's not much more I can do really as I have already explained it as best I can

You challenged the earlier poster for not citing law. You have cited the regs which are limited in function and subordiate to the primary legislation. The regs exist to permit Simon Harris to change the "lockdown" without the need for further primary legislation which has been impossible to secure since the Seanad elections.

I trust that you ahve read your instructions and I have no doubt that the gardai do not intend to use the powers of arrest in that the coercive aspects should be enough. That is not the same as your suggestion that those who have left their homes solely for the purpose of congregating outside the home of a friend or relative are not committing an offence. They certainly are. Your job is to enforce the law; over the past 30 years, my job has been to interpret it!

I do not suggest the gardai are doing something wrong. I'm simply making it clear that powers do exist.

My most recent encounter with a garda involved him telling me that I could not be more than 2kms from my home for the purpose of shopping. Having challenged him on this he muttered 5kms until his colleague agreed with me that there was no such limit. And rightly so given that there are plenty of people in the country who live more than 10km from a functioning shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

kravmaga wrote: »
    Op can you just confirm are they Romanian nationals or Roma gypsies ?

Apparently there is a few SJW,s /sensitive types posting on here and are very offended and upset at the use of the word Roma.

What does it matter?

OP said Romanian several times in different posts and you're still dead adamant that they must be Roma.

Why are you projecting your prejudices in to the OP, what is your hangup? There are numerous Romani native to Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Rep, Bulgaria, Turkey, Russia, Spain, France. Educate yourself.

They OP's neighbours could be Scandinavian, Polynesian, Inuit etc it doesn't matter...they're just bad neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

:D only on boards would you get the virtual experts who know more about it than people in the job. Lord save us.

I’m pretty sure that one of the virtual experts, as you put it, is a solicitor or other legal professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

To clear things up, they have told me multiple times they are Romanian.
    Roma Gypsey is a possibility but they don’t dress in the sense of long skirts etc. Though one day they did have a Roma gypsey over wearing the usual clothes you would see but generally it’s kind of hard to tell and I’m quite street smart.

Either way I couldn’t really give a ****. So not sure if it’s of any importance here even though i did point out the nationality at the start but the reason for this is someone might be able to understand their way of living whether it’s Roma or Romanian I’m not sure but they are very fond of that BBQ.
    They are difficult people to live beside.
    I appreciate the help and useful info.

I’m pretty sure that one of the virtual experts, as you put it, is a solicitor or other legal professional.

Ya, you let me know when a solicitor has the power of arrest. Don’t mind if I don’t hold my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

OP would be stunned if the Mangagement Co. allows BBQ's in apartments, obvious fire risk/ smoke getting into other apartments/ smoke alarms possibly going off. Check with Mang Co. are they even allowed?

Also would think non-residents are not allowed generally to hang around or loiter outside your door/ in common areas. The people u mention are probably breaking a number of the complex's rules and maybe the Mang Co. could speak to them and/or issue fines.

Landlords generally don't want problem tenant's are if they are made aware of these nuisance activities, they would not like to have them as renters and replace.

Speak with your neighbours and also get them to log complaints.

• Advertisement

OP would be stunned if the Mangagement Co. allows BBQ's in apartments, obvious fire risk/ smoke getting into other apartments/ smoke alarms possibly going off. Check with Mang Co. are they even allowed?

Also would think non-residents are not allowed generally to hang around or loiter outside your door/ in common areas. The people u mention are probably breaking a number of the complex's rules and maybe the Mang Co. could speak to them and/or issue fines.

Landlords generally don't want problem tenant's are if they are made aware of these nuisance activities, they would not like to have them as renters and replace.

Speak with your neighbours and also get them to log complaints.

Sorry to point out this is a ground floor outdoor apartment.
    2 blocks of 2 beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If I were you I’d be putting the wheels in motion to move elsewhere OP. Their behaviour won’t change and life is too short.
    I lived in a dense housing estate in Dublin up until the start of this year where the local DJs would regularly destroy any peace. Get out ASAP and enjoy the better life

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

How about setting off your alarm deliberately and go for a nice 2-3 hour long walk?
    Give them a bit of ambiance noise to enjoy while bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Roma Gypsey is a possibility but they don’t dress in the sense of long skirts etc. Though one day they did have a Roma gypsey over wearing the usual clothes you would see but generally it’s kind of hard to tell and I’m quite street smart.

Either way I couldn’t really give a ****. So not sure if it’s of any importance here even though i did point out the nationality at the start but the reason for this is someone might be able to understand their way of living whether it’s Roma or Romanian I’m not sure but they are very fond of that BBQ.

You wait until they set up the home-made smoker for their sausages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Sigh, why does everyone think that this is an answer?

Superintendent won't speak to you. Simple as.

Sergeant might if there is one, no such thing as a duty Sergeant though and here / she certainly won't take the case on themselves.

It's a noise complaint, not a criminal offense so Gardai can do sweet fa. In fact the op is lucky that he's getting a car to even call. It's a courtesy more than anything else.

Sigh all you want, thanks for the condescending and patronising answer, but it helps nobody.

Superintendents will speak to you, I'm talking about direct experience here, not just myself but my ex-GF as well.
    Call it Duty Officer, whatever. The person in charge of that station/district at that time is what I meant here and if a Garda refuses to deal with a complaint from a member of the public they have a right to see a more senior officer. Full personal experience of that too. It's easier for them to deal with it that way that through other channels.

And yes, Gardai can do something about public nuisance, noise levels etc. They do this all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Ya, you let me know when a solicitor has the power of arrest. Don’t mind if I don’t hold my breath though

Errr, you misunderstood. Here we have a guard arguing with a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

OP, I would log, document everything from an anti -social behaviour point of view on a spreadsheet. I would contact your local Garda station and start the ball rolling on an ABSO warning in the 1st instance and keep in touch with the community beat officers.

All the information is here for you, see link.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/anti_social_behaviour_by_adults.html

And I understand that your confused on where they originate from, no worries and best of luck with it.

Im not replying or responding to the angry , .up -tight, active SJW posting on here. We all know who he is :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

enough with the sly digs.

Kravmaga, drop the "where they originate from" waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

kravmaga wrote: »
    OP, I would log, document everything from an anti -social behaviour point of view on a spreadsheet. I would contact your local Garda station and start the ball rolling on an ABSO warning in the 1st instance and keep in touch with the community beat officers.

All the information is here for you, see link.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/anti_social_behaviour_by_adults.html

And I understand that your confused on where they originate from, no worries and best of luck with it.

Im not replying or responding to the angry , .up -tight, active SJW posting on here. We all know who he is :rolleyes:

Why not address me, I've no problem addressing you.

Logging, documenting, spreadsheets........and your'e calling others uptight.

Read my posting history, could never be described as a SJW. No anger or behaviour that could be described as uptight in my posts in this thread, you're projecting your inadequacies on to me and your personal prejudices in to the OPs situation.

In this thread I was trying to educate the ignorant. Pointless exercise really.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Sigh all you want, thanks for the condescending and patronising answer, but it helps nobody.

Superintendents will speak to you, I'm talking about direct experience here, not just myself but my ex-GF as well.
    Call it Duty Officer, whatever. The person in charge of that station/district at that time is what I meant here and if a Garda refuses to deal with a complaint from a member of the public they have a right to see a more senior officer. Full personal experience of that too. It's easier for them to deal with it that way that through other channels.

And yes, Gardai can do something about public nuisance, noise levels etc. They do this all the time.

No, you have no such right. Please show me where it's written that you have a right to speak to a sergeant. You have the right to make complaint to gsoc though or at the station if you wish but it's the Garda on duty that will take the complaint. What's easier doesn't come into it anymore, superintendents are not allowed deal with complains directly.

If your adamant that Gardai have powers to enter a house and force the owners to lower the music, I would love to see it.

I'm still waiting for this legal eagle to explain the power of entry into a private home and the power to arrest people for not keeping 2 meters apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Not sure how I can get the LL’s details.
    The tenancies aren’t registered. Any of the 3 apartments around me which are rented by the same LL.

What’s the best idea now? Report this?

Yes, report. LL is not in compliance with the law. Might even speed up the process of getting the current tenants out.

Yes, report. LL is not in compliance with the law. Might even speed up the process of getting the current tenants out.

A word in the ear of the landlord concerning making a complaint to the Ptb and possible revenue might result in the noisy neighbors being evicted far faster than any formal complaint could every hope to achieve

The solicitor, with all due respect, is not on the front line actually dealing with incidents like this. They’re two different professions. I don’t get where you’re going with this

d15ude wrote: »
    How about setting off your alarm deliberately and go for a nice 2-3 hour long walk?
    Give them a bit of ambiance noise to enjoy while bbq.

Hahahaha!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

we have 2 private individuals of unknown credentials hypothesising.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Tell the one that’s your mate that you have corona virus. The kids will stop then. And next time they are all there wildly cough. I guarantee they will disperse and not come back lol

madmac187 wrote: »
    Tell the one that’s your mate that you have corona virus. The kids will stop then. And next time they are all there wildly cough. I guarantee they will disperse and not come back lol

I was considering actually putting the word out that my OH was extremely sick in bed. Though we leave the apartment sometimes so this is kind of hard. No bbq’s today or yesterday.
    I wonder have they moved to another rented premises where they haven’t been warned by the police yet. Going to give the RTB a call and report the lack of registration.
    Though my own apartment isn’t registered would this draw attention to my own LL?
    He’s a decent guy and I don’t want to get him in trouble.

The solicitor, with all due respect, is not on the front line actually dealing with incidents like this. They’re two different professions. I don’t get where you’re going with this

Solicitors will generally know the law better than a guard (or any solicitor worth dealing with anyway) hence how they get so many people off on various technicalities, loop holes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A word in the ear of the landlord concerning making a complaint to the Ptb and possible revenue might result in the noisy neighbors being evicted far faster than any formal complaint could every hope to achieve

It might well but the OP has already said he's not sure if he can get LL details, much less arrange a meeting with him/her. Either way, LL should be reported.

• Advertisement

It might well but the OP has already said he's not sure if he can get LL details, much less arrange a meeting with him/her. Either way, LL should be reported.

Land registry might have the details or another neighbor. Obviously he should be reported but the op just wants the situation to end really.

Advertisement