Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does virginity shaming exist?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    We do everything that Chimpanzees, Apes and Orangutans do, except we do it like humans, ignore the tree climbing it doesn't really count.
    On this point. Actually we don't. Each of the great apes have quite different mating strategies, including humans. Even among the two species of Chimps; the bonobo and the chimpanzee, they're quite different. Chimpanzees are quite different to gorillas again. And Orangs, though they're more like gorillas. The latter two have dominant males with essentially harems of females. Even in this set up it has been found that quite the number of offspring have been fathered by lower rank males. Sneaky buggers. Chimps are in many ways a sexual free for all and while dominant males tend to mate more, lower rank males also get in on the action and it would be near impossible for any male to be sure any offspring were his.

We can even see these differences in evolved physical characteristics. Chimps evolved the largest per body size testes, to produce as much sperm as possible to compete in the free for all. Gorillas have the smallest, as there's less competition. Humans are about in the middle, though more towards the gorilla(humans have the biggest willies, so it seems size does matter...).

Humans diverge even more from other great apes in a number of ways, to the degree they're almost a different group. For a start we don't have a mating season. We're fertile year round. Huge diff. We also don't show external signs of fertility. No ovulating women with big red arses going about. Huge diff. Look at that page on After Hours filled with instagram dolly birds. Generally big, even some massive boobage going on. Dead heat in a Zeppelin race. We're the only great ape to have permanently inflated breasts in women. To any other great ape that would be a turn off. It would tell the male the female is breast feeding and sub fertile. The women tend to be young too. Again other great ape males tend to select for older females. Huge diff again.

Humans have a far wider range of sexual and mating behaviour, from small monogamous family units all the way to male harem setups, even occasions of free for alls. We also have much longer and more vulnerable childhoods so investment in offspring is higher for longer.

TL:DR? No we don't do things like the other great apes. Not even close.

As for all this Alpha/Beta stuff? Most of this was kicked off in early studies on wolves in captivity and was then applied elsewhere(with a large dollop of cultural bias). Problem being, well they were in captivity, they were all of the same age and mostly unrelated, so aggro kicked off and pecking orders were established. Basically in human terms they stuck a load of teenagers in a small areas with no supervision and left them to it and extrapolated that into normal wild behaviour. It was lord of the flies in wolf terms.

In reality, in the wild, wolves are very like humans(which is one reason why we were such a fit for each other). That is a small family units(packs) with a mammy and daddy, with juveniles of different ages. When one reaches a certain age it'll go off and find it's own mate and start their own family unit. Like us. Nobody with half a brain would suggest that in a human family the ma and da are the "alphas" and the kids are "betas". It's a nonsense. And the original research team have completely reversed their position on it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Apparently it does, I've been called a virgin on here numerous times today, irony is one of them had numerous posts in the Garda recruitment forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

skallywag wrote: »
    'Incels'?

What the actual fook like ...... ?
    It’s unclear to me what your point is? Some people call themselves this* and it is sometimes used by others as an insult.

*They have even created some communities on the internet but I have never seen what they are like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To answer the question, it probably does when you're younger. Once you get older, it weirdly becomes less important and more important if you remain celibate.
    iptba wrote: »
    It’s unclear to me what your point is? Some people call themselves this* and it is sometimes used by others as an insult.

*They have even created some communities on the internet but I have never seen what they are like

Probably started innocently enough but as with everything on the internet, all it takes a shower of nasty individuals to move in and ruin it for everyone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In secondary school a bit and maybe a little at the start of college but I found people were generally alright to those guys who didn't have much of a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

iptba wrote: »
    It’s unclear to me what your point is?

My point is that it has to be one of the most ridiculous labels I have had the misfortune to come across.

Are some people really at the level that they take this nonsense seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

My point is that it has to be one of the most ridiculous labels I have had the misfortune to come across.

Are you red or blue pill skally? :)

Only joking, I am glad you care.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Look up Egg White (rapper).

Some 'glowies' think 'incels' they are a threat threat after Alek Minassian shot up some people in Canada. There was a guy who made a song called 'Alek Minassian' and that got visited by the FBI about it - a bunch of boomers with no sense of humor. The word 'incel' comes from the 'community' itself, most likely 4chan, Wizardchan, 8kun (it's like a forum but you don't need to register an account to post comments, your threads get deleted after a day or so). Some woman like Maddow told folks who watch CNN about this new 'incel' threat and now all NPCs (both left and right leaning) use 'incel' as an insult. (They did a study and a lot of people have no internal monologue, just repeat what the media tells them to think about subjects therefore the NPC meme).

Some say Alek Minassian and Elliot Rodger were government operatives. The feds often try to infiltrate groups (say the hacker community) and try to entrap them. The feds always try to come up with imagined threats.

If you ask me the whole thing is a meme (lots of this is hilarious) and shallow feminist women brought this on themselves.

There's some crossover with the MGTOW (men going their own way) community but that's usually an older demographic.

I browse imageboards because that's were the memes orignate, mainly for the humor but there are also useful sections like /diy:
    https://boards.4channel.org/diy/
    avoid the /pol board - it's a containment zone and full of glowies

Terminology:
    (note that some people who write these definitions have their own agenda)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=incel&page=2
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Roastie

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NPC
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wizard

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glowie
    (term coined by Terry Davis, a schizophrenic programmer who claimed to have ran over some CIA agents in the 90s [probably imagined])

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boomer

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=MGTOW
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=4chan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I'm 33 coming 34. Never been kissed, had a girlfriend, a female friend and not surprisingly still a virgin.

I've never been shamed over it though, don't ever get asked about my relationship or marital status I think a lot of people could guess anyway in a kind of "oh yeah that guy definitely has never had a girlfriend!", I think people would act shocked if I actually had one "who the hell would date you" sort of thing. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm 33 coming 34. Never been kissed, had a girlfriend, a female friend and not surprisingly still a virgin.

I've never been shamed over it though, don't ever get asked about my relationship or marital status I think a lot of people could guess anyway in a kind of "oh yeah that guy definitely has never had a girlfriend!", I think people would act shocked if I actually had one "who the hell would date you" sort of thing. :D

Do you mind if I ask if many of the people you know are aware of it?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Do you mind if I ask if many of the people you know are aware of it?

Mum and brother almost certainly, possibly some other family members. I think one of my neighbours remarked about my lack of love life to my mum once, my mum's the type who doesn't hold water and blurts out too much so obviously had a conversation about it.

I suspect places I've worked at colleagues probably assumed I was a bit of an oddball so never asked about it, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's been remarks behind my back.

Mum and brother almost certainly, possibly some other family members. I think one of my neighbours remarked about my lack of love life to my mum once, my mum's the type who doesn't hold water and blurts out too much so obviously had a conversation about it.

I suspect places I've worked at colleagues probably assumed I was a bit of an oddball so never asked about it, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's been remarks behind my back.

Almost certainly? I don't think that they'd know unless you'd explicitly told them. Sex is just something people are assumed to be doing nowadays.

H. H. Asquith

Almost certainly? I don't think that they'd know unless you'd explicitly told them. Sex is just something people are assumed to be doing nowadays.

Well they know I've never had a girlfriend or even remotely come close to having one. Put it this way I think they'd be very surprised if I wasn't one.

Well they know I've never had a girlfriend or even remotely come close to having one. Put it this way I think they'd be very surprised if I wasn't one.

I think you may be overthinking that to be honest.

Ultimately though, unless you confide in people then you won't know how they'll react.

H. H. Asquith

I think you may be overthinking that to be honest.

Ultimately though, unless you confide in people then you won't know how they'll react.

My point is that most people who get to know me would likely suspect I'm the type who wouldn't be involved in romantic relationships. In places I've worked in when someone ever got engaged or when there was discussions on relationships etc I was often omitted and was never asked largely because they would have suspected given my 'odd' personality that I wasn't the type who would be involved in that sort of stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have worked with various odd people over the years. Some I have liked and some I haven't liked. What their relationship status or sexual experience (or lack thereof) was not something that ever occurred to me so as ACD says you may be over thinking it.

Out of interest have you ever thought about paying for it just for the experience?

I had an old farmer uncle who would have died a virgin if he had not availed of the services of some nice girls at least 1 time in his life. I only discovered this post mortem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

I've heard it as a complaint from incels and those in the "manosphere" that virginity is shamed in men while praised in women..

I suppose it could exist, innocently enough between friends joking or as part of bullying or harassment. It would depend on someone's own outlook and own views about it whether you let it get to you or just see it for what it is.

Remember your one on loose women I think, said something about getting her son a prostitute or something. Can't remember it exactly but she shouldn't have said that on TV.

Anyway I'm not sure it is as simple as it is praised in women. I know what you mean though but it can often be used against women or conflictingly like being called frigid or something like that.

For example when I was around 13, I was approached by this girl of 16 and she asked me if I would be with her brother jamesy who was 14. She was a Traveller and they were camped up for a week or two in a field near our town so we had seen them around. Not a Traveller bashing post.

Anyway I said 'no'. She asked me why and was a bit intimidating but left it at that. Later that day Jamesy must have got some sort of rejection **** it courage because him and his little twerp friend who was about 12 but only looked 10 approached and stopped me on my bike with my friend wanting an explanation of why I wouldn't 'be with him' : confused: :pac:

He was holding onto the handlebars of the bike. I said because I just don't want too and his little friend piped up 'its because she's a virgin' as though there had to be some reason other than I just didn't want too. Jamesy looked at me and said "Is that it, is that what it is?'

For some reason my instinct said to say no so I defiantly told them no I wasn't a virgin (obviously I was). The little twerp friend said 'ah she is. She is a virgin' and Jamesy laughed and gave me a nod and they both walked on.

I looked at my friend breathing a sigh of relief and we cycled off.

My point is that most people who get to know me would likely suspect I'm the type who wouldn't be involved in romantic relationships. In places I've worked in when someone ever got engaged or when there was discussions on relationships etc I was often omitted and was never asked largely because they would have suspected given my 'odd' personality that I wasn't the type who would be involved in that sort of stuff.

Unless they've said something explicitly then, as I said you're overthinking it. If you've not made big contributions to discussions on this topic before with your friends, colleagues and acquaintances then they've probably assumed that you're not really interested in such conversations.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have worked with various odd people over the years. Some I have liked and some I haven't liked. What their relationship status or sexual experience (or lack thereof) was not something that ever occurred to me so as ACD says you may be over thinking it.

Out of interest have you ever thought about paying for it just for the experience?

I had an old farmer uncle who would have died a virgin if he had not availed of the services of some nice girls at least 1 time in his life. I only discovered this post mortem.

I don't think paying for it is a good idea. If you have issues with sex or hangups it won't do anything for you and that's before you get to the legal or ethical issues which aren't concerns for everyone of course.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think you're right that work colleagues don't think about what their colleagues sexual experience is, they may question what someone's sexuality is, but, I think once people pass their early twenties everyone just assumes they have had sex.
    It's not something to be ashamed of but, in this day and age no one is going to confirm they are a virgin for fear of being humiliated. I also think there are probably more people in their thirties and above who are virgins than people realise as their are alot of socially awkward people that I would imagine would find it difficult to have any sexual experience. I don't see anything wrong with paying for it, if that's the only way they're going to experience it as long as the other person is a willing participant.
    I think as society has opened up it's less likely now that younger people (late teens/early twenties)will remain virgins as they are experimenting at an earlier age and don't have the same hang ups about sex as previous generations had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think paying for it is a good idea. If you have issues with sex or hangups it won't do anything for you and that's before you get to the legal or ethical issues which aren't concerns for everyone of course.

I did say abroad, so somewhere where it is legal. Plenty of places in close proximity or further afield. Her body her choice and all that - not to drag the conversation off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I did say abroad, so somewhere where it is legal. Plenty of places in close proximity or further afield. Her body her choice and all that - not to drag the conversation off topic.

Ahh yeah but in those circumstances it’s a bit like the ugly kids mother hanging a string of sausages around the child’s neck to get the dog to play with him when none of the other kids wanted anything to do with him, ie - it’s a bit shìte really, the idea of having to pay someone to have sex with you when you’re both aware that they’re only doing it because you’re paying them :D

‘Virginity shaming’, more commonly known as just attempting to humiliate someone for any given reason, exists. I’ve known plenty of people who hadn’t had sex and they were in their 20’s, 30’s and well beyond. Just for one reason or another either they weren’t interested in having sex with anyone, or on the other hand they were too interested in having sex with someone, and people found this off-putting (think Jay from the InBetweeners!). Very few people though have ever been bitter about it, and the same proportion of people I suppose have ever thought it was something to humiliate someone about. Anyone who did so was generally viewed with pity as a bit simple minded.

Plenty of people in my experience have found it odd or curious if they couldn’t find any rational reason why someone hadn’t had sex as it’s something they take for granted. Thomas for example makes a good point and does with a sense of humour, so I don’t imagine he has any trouble making friends or people find him an easy person to be around. Nobody questions it because they aren’t the type that would want to purposely humiliate the guy.

The OP’s question could apply to anything anyone seeks to humiliate another person about, not just whether or not they’ve had sex, or they have too much sex (yes there’s plenty of people will describe a guy in disparaging terms if he’s known to be a bit loose), but the only person who should feel ashamed of themselves in that scenario is the person who is so insecure in themselves that they feel the need to project their insecurities about themselves onto anyone else.

I missed that you said abroad. Oops.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

I suppose it could exist, innocently enough between friends joking or as part of bullying or harassment. It would depend on someone's own outlook and own views about it whether you let it get to you or just see it for what it is.

Remember your one on loose women I think, said something about getting her son a prostitute or something. Can't remember it exactly but she shouldn't have said that on TV.

Anyway I'm not sure it is as simple as it is praised in women. I know what you mean though but it can often be used against women or conflictingly like being called frigid or something like that.

For example when I was around 13, I was approached by this girl of 16 and she asked me if I would be with her brother jamesy who was 14. She was a Traveller and they were camped up for a week or two in a field near our town so we had seen them around. Not a Traveller bashing post.

Anyway I said 'no'. She asked me why and was a bit intimidating but left it at that. Later that day Jamesy must have got some sort of rejection **** it courage because him and his little twerp friend who was about 12 but only looked 10 approached and stopped me on my bike with my friend wanting an explanation of why I wouldn't 'be with him' : confused: :pac:

He was holding onto the handlebars of the bike. I said because I just don't want too and his little friend piped up 'its because she's a virgin' as though there had to be some reason other than I just didn't want too. Jamesy looked at me and said "Is that it, is that what it is?'

For some reason my instinct said to say no so I defiantly told them no I wasn't a virgin (obviously I was). The little twerp friend said 'ah she is. She is a virgin' and Jamesy laughed and gave me a nod and they both walked on.

I looked at my friend breathing a sigh of relief and we cycled off.
    Sorry to hear that happened to you, particularly at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ahh yeah but in those circumstances it’s a bit like the ugly kids mother hanging a string of sausages around the child’s neck to get the dog to play with him when none of the other kids wanted anything to do with him, ie - it’s a bit shìte really, the idea of having to pay someone to have sex with you when you’re both aware that they’re only doing it because you’re paying them :D
    :confused: I literally just placed an order for chips and sausages ye bollix. :D It might not be that ****e though. It could be a lot better that remaining celibate, especially if she's hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

:confused: I literally just placed an order for chips and sausages ye bollix. :D It might not be that ****e though. It could be a lot better that remaining celibate, especially if she's hot.

I was coming home from the shop last night and a girl stopped me and asked me did I want to do some business. Nothing out of the ordinary looking about her other than the fact that she was hot in all fairness. It took me a minute to cop what she meant by “business”, had to explain to her I’d no money on me. Normally I wouldn’t mind giving someone a few quid if I have it anyway, wasn’t interested in doing any “business” though.

“I’d have done the business with you and all” is still ringing in my ears :D

(I did think about going back up to the shop where they have an ATM to get her a few quid, but I didn’t bring my wallet with me, paid by phone instead of by card, felt bad leaving her there :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I did it in Prague once. It was actually an enjoyable experience. It wasn't mind blowing but It certainly wasn't soul destroying.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with paying for it, if that's the only way they're going to experience it as long as the other person is a willing participant.

I have no interest in visiting an escort, others may that's up to them, but for me the idea of having sex with someone who whilst doing it doesn't actually find you attractive seems really off putting.

Since I refuse to visit an escort I recognise I'm running the risk of dying a virgin, which I've accepted I now probably will do, given I'm nearly 34 and have come nowhere near close.

But I'd rather that than visit an escort.

I have no interest in visiting an escort, others may that's up to them, but for me the idea of having sex with someone who whilst doing it doesn't actually find you attractive seems really off putting.

Since I refuse to visit an escort I recognise I'm running the risk of dying a virgin, which I've accepted I now probably will do, given I'm nearly 34 and have come nowhere near close.

But I'd rather that than visit an escort.

It's something that I have absolutely no interest in either. I've always found it to be a very sleazy, low pursuit. Just my opinion, mind. Each to their own.

H. H. Asquith

It's something that I have absolutely no interest in either. I've always found it to be a very sleazy, low pursuit. Just my opinion, mind. Each to their own.

Don't get me wrong I don't judge people for doing it, especially people in my situation who are facing the possibility of being a kissless virgin into elderly age.

So unless you are in that situation it is difficult to know how to cure it, some people think getting it out of the way with a paid stranger helps them gain sexual confidence for when they do it with a person they genuinely like, there's certainly logic to that.

For me it doesn't cure what is the real driving force behind it like social isolation and being ostracised by society etc, so in the long term it wouldn't make me feel happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I wouldn't think in this age that because someone has never had a partner that then they are a virgin. I would know a few people who I never remember having a partner but don't presume they are virgins

Advertisement